Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    Older Toyota Avalon Buyers will also court other car companies. I have been buying 1 to 2 new cars every 2 years for the last 30 years. Amoung those were an 03 avalon,an 06 Avalon and currently a 2011 Avalon that will NOT be traded for a 2013 Avalon. It is too small inside for my 6'1" 240 lb frame to enjoy. So I will be keeping the 2011 for many years or... Yesterday I tried a 2013 XTS not bad,but abit pricey. I will just keep looking or stay in my 2011 Avalon. Sorry toyota. Good luck with the younger buyers. I hope you do not lose more older buyers like me than new younger buyers for the redesigned Avalon.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    I am an older buyer and recently moved from an 08 to 12 Avalon and much prefer the slightly smaller size and more responsive handling. Although I enjoyed the 08 along with its ride, its overall feel on the road was a bit too much and a little sluggish/cumbersome.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Sounds like you should have purchased the 2013, as it is:

- noticeably smaller then the 2012
    - noticeably harsher a ride (with the 18" rims/tires)
    - noticeably sportier
    - noticeably louder on the highway (tire noise because of the wide profile)

In my opinion.

Skip
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    Yesterday the dealer calls, and said our 2013 Special ordered Limited just rolled off the truck. Amazing, as it was just being built this week. Keeping in mind, our dealer is 20 miles from the Toyota facility here in Kentucky, and the car still smelled like the interior of the Toyota facility, seriously, as I'm in that plant fairly often, and I know the smell.
    We took delivery last night, and my wife was very impressed. Coming from a 2008 Infinity G35x, (She also previously drove a 2006 Avalon) the 2013 Avalon is so much preferred over the very soft suspension and ride of the 2006. Not as taut as the Infinity (a good thing), but a refined ride, with a sportier feel, yet comfortable. Steering feel is so much better. Seats are more supportive than the previous Avalon (i.e. Firmer). The fit and finish is top rate, and the held over 3.5 V6 is as sweet as ever.

So, while picking up the Avalon, I have my 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE in for its 15K service. Dealer temps me with a 2013 Avalon Hybrid, which they have a couple on hand, and offers a decent trade in for the Camry. I almost pulled the trigger, as I love the Camry Hybrid, so the Avalon Hybrid would be even better, but I came to my senses, and decided to hold off until we see how much she likes her Avalon. May end up being a 2 Avalon couple???
  • trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    Actually I went from an '09 Lexus ES to the '13 Avalon Limited. So sorry I did that. The Avalon has the worst ride of any car I've driven. It is so harsh and choppy I can't wait to trade it in for something else.
    edited January 2013
    Wish I had my '09 Lexus ES back. I really don't think going to different tires/rims will change the terrible ride of the '13 Avalon Limited.

I must say it has a very, very quiet ride and I love the technology package. But a lot of cars have that without getting beaten up to enjoy those options.
    I love everything about my '13 Avalon Limited except the ride. In California the roads have gotten bad due to the economy and the Avalon lets you know every time you hit a bump or pothole. I swear that on some bumps you will not be sitting in the same place, you will get jerked around in your seat.

I would get rid of this car today (after one month), but would be too embarrassed as I thought I was buying a luxury car...what I got was a sports tuned suspension.

On perfectly smooth roads, the ride couldn't be more perfect.

If you don't mind a very rough ride, it's a great car.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    Maybe I'll go back to a used Mini or MG Midget :)
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    When I was on my home after taking delivery of my S60 I thought Geez, I don't remember the ride being this firm on the test drives. When I got home I checked the tires and they were way over inflated.
    Yeah, that was my hope too. But the pressure was at 33 psi (factory specs) in all 4 tires.
  • bmahonbmahon Member Posts: 2
    Wonder if different tires might make a big difference like it did in my 2006 Prius?
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    edited January 2013
    Sat in the new Avalon yesterday at the auto show. I wasn't very impressed, its smaller than the older generation and I'm not a fan of the dash layout. The front end is worse in person as well. They took a radical departure from the 05-12 and not in a good way IMO.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Well I purchased a 2013, and after 2300 miles I traded it in on a 2012. Yes I was saddened by doing this on many levels.

The 2013 was a wonderful car on many levels. The fits, finish and trim was very nice. The looks of the cars, was also very nice, but or me the ride and smaller size didn't work for me.

I ended up trading it in on a 2012 Avalon. It's bigger, smoother and much quieter. Now some of this is likely to be because of things like the 17" tires vs the 18" I had on the '13. The fact that the larger tires were also low profile tires, so these were much louder on the highway than I was willing to deal with.

These are jut my thoughts on the car.

It would be interesting to hear what others think, and if they were go back, if not for the hit you take when trading in.

Skip
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    how long you have it? was it financed? did they give you a hard time trading it back for a 2012? was the 2012 new?
    I had it about 6 weeks or so. They questioned me trading it in, but had no problem taking it in trade on a New 2012 Avalon LTD.

It wasn't finance totally. The hit cost me about $3000.00. More then I would have like it to be, but less then I expected.

Skip
    sounds like a super understandable dealer.that wouldnt fly here in nj. your lucky only 3,000. i have a 2012. fully loaded. never once considered the new avalon after seeing it's resemblance to a damn azera.you made a beautiful choice
    Not sure how much stock to put in what they said, but they said the deal was a GREAT one, because it was "Grand Opening" week, after a huge remodel, and they wanted to get some cars out the door?

Skip

2012 LTD in Cypress Green. I just ordered the floor mats from WeatherTech and I'll be getting a Remote Starter next (for these cold Maine winters).
    My guess is, the fact they had 3 families in there right while I was trading, looking to buy a New Avalon, didn't hurt. Hell while I was signing the papers, they had already cleaned the car (Quickly) and had it on the front line?!

Skip
  • allenoalleno Member Posts: 1
    Just retuned from 1000 mile trip in new 2013 Avalon Ltd . I feel as if had rode a steel wheel wagon that far. It feels like you are running over a rail road tie when the front end hits bumps. My semi and ford 250HD pickup ride better! I should have keep 2008 avalon. $42000 for that lumber wagon?
    niceeee.i got the green too.lightly smoked the windows
    I too feel beat up after just an hour drive. You described it very well....it is a lumber wagon!! I probably will only keep it for a year. Don't think I could take more torture than that.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    I question whether cars like the Avalon/Lexus ES350 should be made more sporty, when these shoppers are LOOKING for soft, quiet rides?

Toyota going for a younger buyers is a great idea, but people are living longer. If you are 60, you may buy 2-3 more cars. Chances are you aren't going anywhere in the next 20 years.

Can't comment on the ride of the Avalon. But the styling inside and out looks great to me. And they can always recalibrate the suspension at the mid-gen refresh in 3 years. Toyota is pretty good about listening to their customers.

If you are an owner, and are dissatisfied with the ride, the best way to handle that is to contact the offices in Torrence, CA. E-mail, tweet, facebook Toyota.

I'm sure they are getting a lot of new buyers who are contacting them with positive reviews. But if a recurring theme appears that the car can be improved, Toyota will move on it.
    :( Sorry to hear it, but I'm not totally surprised É disappointed, but not surprised.

I to felt the same way,and after 2300 miles I traded it in on a 2012 Avalon, and Man what a difference.

I agree with the person who said to let Toyota know, and so, I will post it in a s many places as I can that I wasn't happy with the ride of their "Premium Luxury Sedan" (their words, not mine).

Skip
    Skip,

I'm curious about something. You are obviously a well informed consumer who knows cars. What would you do differently to avoid making the wrong new car purchase? A longer test drive? Why wasn't the stiffer ride more apparent to you during test drives?

I am not asking this to be critical of you, but to learn what you think you missed or misjudged so I can avoid it next time. Thanks!

Jeff
    I guess I should have seen if I could have used the car for a week or so, or at least on a smaller trip. The test ride was short, and YES I REALLY wanted the car, so it the time, I was taken back by it, and it's features, fit, finish and trim.

The car is a WONDERFUL car in every aspect, expect those that matter to me most - Size, Comfort and road noise.

I guess the bottom line is:

- I should have taken a long test drive.
    - I should not have wanted the car so bad, so I could have waited to see what people were saying, then drove the car for a day or 2 and made up my own mind.
    - I should have waited until the car was available to rent, and rented one for a few days.

The thought of taking the car out and putting 200, 300 hundred miles on it, does seem odd, and not likely, but it's what I should have done.

Heck, smoother and bigger would have me not writing this.

It has become apparent from other emails I've received that some folks have had enough of me on this car, so I'll not likely be responding, as my goal isn't to piss people folk, it's just to express my point of view.

Skip
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    Hi ncee,
    I did post earlier about the 2013 Avalon. I couldn't wait to buy one regardless of the front grill because overall from pictures I liked the styling. I went to my dealer and saw it, liked the styling, sat inside and felt a little cramped, then test drove it and felt the bumps like I was riding a toy car, and turned around and asked for a 2012 in Cypress green loaded like the 2011 I had. They gave me 24 grand for my 2011 avalon that had around 39 thousand miles on it. I thought that was a great deal. With the trade in I forked over 6,800 grand that included everything, taxes, dealer prep etc. I couldn't be happier. I don't feel the bumps, not crowded up front, over all for me a much nicer ride. Much more important then the styling. I jumped on the 2012 knowing this is the last time since they changed the room inside and ride that I would be able to buy an Avalon that fits me in every way. The leather in the 2013 is much stiffer then the 2012 as well. I had the first Avalon and many in between and will ride this one for 5 years and see what's out there after that. Ncee, I believe you did the right thing before you added more miles to the 2013. Why keep a car your not happy driving bump over bump and feeling every one and less room up front with head closer to roof over head. I was also upset that they decided to save money by not giving you a full spare, a smaller gas tank, the pockets on the front doors no longer pull out, and no cover over the coffee cup holders allowing for dust, so overall for what you pay for the new car, they cut corners on it and that bothered me as well for what I thought was a luxury car. They have to refine the ride, it's clunkity clunkity bump over bump. Those that say they love the ride, I feel if they had a 2011, or 12 they would be bothered by it. GLTA.
    Skip,
    Thanks for your candor. Most of us, including me, have made the same "mistakes" you made somewhere during our car buying days.

I find your posts honest and informative, so I hope I see more of them here.

Jeff
    i love my 2012 because the back resembles a mercedez benz.nuff said
  • tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Skip, thanks for sharing your experience. I to have made this mistake many years ago. As when I bought the '05, I was anticipating a great new model. Well, thanks for helping me decide.
    M
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I'm sure many of us have made car buying mistakes. I bought an early build 2009 Genesis after owning an 06 Avalon. The ride was terrible, and after two years it had to go!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bahollingsbahollings Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading all the posts on the harsh ride of the 13 Avalon. My wife has been bugging me about test driving one ever since we saw it at he Phoenix car show. I was actually there to check out the Cadillac ATS.
    Let me say Im 64 and drive a Mini Copper Clubman S. I put 24000 miles a year on it for the past 3 1/2 years. So I do some driving. Oh yeah it's a 6 speed. Anyways test drove a Limited. For me it floats down the road, (thats where the laugh comes in)to big for me but my wife loves it says it rides better than her Lexus RX 350. Now I still want the ATS but truthfully overall I was impressed with the Avalon. We'll see what happens.
    For me it rode well, just no where near as comfortable as the '10, '11 or '12 models.

Skip
  • ray1946ray1946 Member Posts: 5
    It's all about perspective, isn't it? ncee's opinions count for himself. bahollings' opinions account for himself. This discussion blog here is looking at the magnified opinions of a few people. There can be a loss of perspective when dwelling on the opinions of a few people.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    True, but when people comment on their specific likes or dislikes about a vehicle, it gives prospective buyers a few points to focus on during the test drive process. After reading posts from those who do & don't like the comfort of the ride, for example, a shopper might be more inclined to pay attention to that aspect of the vehicle when test driving. So, really, all perspectives are good, even if they're just a small sample.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

there can also be a gain of perspective when dwelling on the opinions of alot of people
  • geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    Just curious, since you had an 09 Lexus ES did you consider going to a 2013 Lexus ES rather than going with the 2013 Avalon? Just wondered why you did not stay with Lexus ES brand. I have been looking both, the 2013 Lexus ES and the 2013 Avalon and the current time prefer the ES. The ES comes with 17" tires, but as an option you can go to the 18". After reading this forum would not even consider the low profile 18" tires.
    im lookin at a es also.how do you go forth in picking the package you want? lexus makes it extremely confusing.7 different packages determine price range of car
    And let us not forget the many buyers who DON'T visit places like this. My point is there could be many more unhappy buyers, and I'm SURE they are many more happy buyers too.

Oh, to those who choose the let Toyota know your feelings about the size, ride and anything else about the car, drop anyone of these folks an email and let them know. I AM sure they would like to hear both good and bad about the New Avalon.

As was pointed out to me, "Sales aren't the only thing we use to gauge the success or failure of a new model. Consumer input is very important, which is why we read blogs, news feeds, forums, Go to Car Shows and so on. While we can't make all of the changes consumers ask for, we do take into consideration, all the input we get, and try to make the best changes, based on this input."

Look folks, Do I think Toyota's New Avalon is a nice car, hell yes. In damn near ever respect, they did an outstanding job. I just feel this car could have been better (for me and others), and they made it bigger and more comfortable.

Look they got some half dozen model options, what would have been so hard about making one for folks who had come to enjoy and appreciate the Size and comfort of the earlier Avalon, with the style and grace of the new one?

Look, there is nothing that would make me happier (and those who are getting tried of my rants toos) if Toyota made the next model, Bigger, quieter, and more comfortable, I WOULD agin, purchase a New Avalon (After a lengthy test drive:))

So if you have email addresses for the folks at Toyota, drop them a line, I'm sure they were appreciate it.

Should you need any contact info, drop me a line.

Skip
  • ianoldianold Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2013 avalon xle. My wife and i love every aspect of the vehicle. While it is comfortable and roomy, I can certainly appreciate that it does not provide the armchair comfort of the 2011 and 2012 models. It is a tradeoff and all a matter of what is important to the buyer.

The one concern I have is with gas mileage. At this point, the dashboard gas mileage indicator has consistently indicated an average of 16 mpg. This is with very conservative driving. I would be interested to know how others have fared in terms of gas mileage.
    I was turned off by the '13 ES 350, because of the location of the Nav screen (too close to the windshield) and the joy stick like controller to use the Nav system. When the Lexus dealership gave me loaner vehicles with the joystick, I knew I could not use one of those full time. I have arthritis in my wrist and it just did not work for me.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2013
    I finally had the opportunity to compare the new 2013 Avalon to my 2003 XLS with 137K on the odometer. All of my comments are about appearance and comfort; I did not drive the 2013.

I didn’t find the large grill off-putting, though I think Toyota could have done better. As a driver, at least I don’t have to look at it. There were lots of doodads on the 2013 that I really liked, from a lumbar support that was adjustable vertically to a modern instrument panel that was contemporary in this age of communications. The fascia had a broad integrated sweep that was appealing. Yes I could be very happy in this car.

But there was something not quite right. For such a large car the interior space seemed less than in my 2003. How could this be? I remember that I had the same reaction to a new Ford Taurus. Aah, it’s the gangster windows! The 2013 has significantly less window area than my 2003, and I got the sense of peering out rather than enjoying the wide-open view that I always experience in mine. Toyota is not unique in this retrograde styling approach; Buick models in particular follow this trend, and Chrysler 300 and 200 models are the same. I suppose it is all done in the search for “style”, but isn’t form supposed to follow function?

So I got back in my 2003 XLS (meticulously maintained, it drives exactly the same as when I purchased it) and drove back to my home, relishing the almost 360 degree spacious view I was experiencing. Some time in the future, when my 2003 has breathed its last, I might return to the 2013. I like Avalons, and I like Toyota reliability. I hope these plusses overcome my ‘claustrophobia’.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    At around 7000 miles, the mileage should jump up about 5 mpg. The break-in phenomenon.
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    After taking delivery of my wife's Avalon Ltd., I considered trading my 2012 Camry Hybrid in for a 2013 Avalon Hybrid. I also visited the Lexus dealer, to complete my due diligence, thinking I would prefer a ES Hybrid, maybe because of the L on the grill. After looking at the Lexus, I ordered my Avalon Hybrid Ltd. the same afternoon. $5K less, and the Avalon was a step above its brother with a L.
    The interior of the Avalon was so much more modern and preferred by me. The Lexus' Nav. Screen was so far removed from the driver, and controls seemed archaic in comparison to the Avalon.

Many posts from just a couple people have criticized the Avalon's "Newly tuned ride and handling", as being to firm, and not the float of the previous generation. That is correct, and after owning a first year Avalon ( if I recall, a 1995 model) and then another as a 2006, we had understood the Cush-mobile ride charicteristics of the model. If the new model had been like that, we would not have purchased them. Being younger than the typical Avalon buyers, we do not care for the floaty ride anymore, since driving has become more fun as new empty nesters, not just a way from A to B with the kids. I believe we were key targets for the New Avalon. It is more of a pleasure to drive, if you prefer to be connected a bit more to your vehicles. So, if you still want the Crown Vic ride, and cavern like interior, the Avalon may not fit your desire.
    Hey Lucky...

So glad you are able to absorb the ride of the new '13 Avalon Limited/Hybrid. I too love everything about this vehicle. It's just the awful ride I can't absorb. I only have 1,300 miles, so maybe I will get adjusted and be able to soak up the beating I take every time I drive it, but I doubt it.

But you are so correct in that the interior is expertly designed. The rearview backup monitoring has already saved me from a fender-bender. And I love the blind spot monitoring.

I don't like the washed out display of the heater/a-c/outside temp display during the day. Do you notice the distortion through the review mirror (looking at cars to the rear) caused by the rear sunshade enclosure reflecting off the back glass?
    :( that's why I traded my 2013 in for a new 2012.

I too love all the tech stuff, (and the nice and quiet wipers) and will miss most of it, but not the ride, road noise or the smaller size, smaller trunk opening, smaller rear seats, non-reclining rear seats.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 3 color interior and raised panels on the doors.

The fit, finish and trim, is outstanding! Blind Spot Monitoring É YES Backup monitoring É YES

The Tech Package is cool, albeit old (Most has been on other cars for a few years already). I have friends who work at the Frd dealer I use to work at, and they all laughed at my excitement of the "Cool Tech Features" that have been on the Fusions now for a few years.

The touch controls are ok / cool, but not a deal breaker for me.

Skip
  • jd21mejd21me Member Posts: 2
    I have had several Avalons my first was a 2001 then 2004 which I gave to my daughter it has 100k and still going strong and a 2009. All gave excellent performance and that comfortable Avalon ride, which we had gotten used to. I waited for the new 2013's to come out with anticipation.

The test drive in a 2013 Limited was disapointing that smoothness of the past cars was gone . Everytime I drove over an expansion joint in the road there was a jarring jolt that I had never felt before. What to do ? Perhaps a Lexus E350 would suffice, not even close, after taking one out a test it is nothing more than a loaded up Camry. The 18 inch tires on both cars do not help one bit.

This only complicated the whole process, perhaps it was best to keep the 2009 with 56K on it. Then after a service visit to Lakewood Toyota in new Jersey I spotted a lonley 2012 Limited leftover in the back of the dealership it was Sand Mica (not my favorite color). 39,900 sticker. After the usual back and forth we drove it away for 32K and we still have the Avalon ride. Thanks to the many posters for their input and a pox on Toyota for snubing their faithful former owneers even though their average is 67. Time will tell if those wipersnappers will be as loyal. The 2009 was given to my daughter and she could not have been happier the 2004 went to a Sandy we keepthem rolling.
    edited February 2013
    Pretty much why I traded my New 2013 Avalon in as well.

I miss some of the cool tech stuff, but I LOVE the ride, comfort, quietness of my 2012 Avalon in Cypress Green.

I traded my 2008 Avalon Touring Edition in on my 2011 Avalon LTD, that I traded in on my 2013 Avalon, that I traded after 2300 miles, on the 2012 Avalon.

With all the current models they offer, I think they should have had:

Basic Avalon
    Avalon LE (Light / limited edition)
    Avalon SE (SPORTS Edition)
    Avalon LTD (Olde fart version)

Skip
    Perhaps a Lexus E350 would suffice, not even close, after taking one out a test it is nothing more than a loaded up Camry? the es350 has the exact same 2012 avalon engine.not as big as the avalon but was the ride that bad? i say this cuz i have a 2012 avalon and soon will be trading it in for a 2013 es350
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm pretty sure the new Avalon and ES are the same size now, little smaller than the 2012 Avalon, but larger than the Camry. I haven't driven either yet. Keeping my LS for quite a while longer I think. But if they have tried to turn the Avalon OR the ES into a sports car, it's a mistake. I like the idea above of the different model choices.

My GM at the Lexus store told me, they Lexus goal is to provide a Reliable BMW now. I am ok with that to some degree - but not if it becomes uncomfortable, noisy or bumpy. And I'm not a fan of the damn mouse.
    nice.i originally want the LS.cost too steep though and i won't settle for a used one.so im buying a new es.the fact that its almost as big as the avalon is reason im getting it