Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Rio - reviews

Comments

• I found the Canadian Kia site and checked out the Rio. Interesting that they are sold so differently in our two countries. They have an SX model here in the states. It's the only one with a sunroof but still doesn't come with a manual transmission. I really want a manual. I was surprised at how much fun that car was to drive and how well it handled. I'd love to take it out for some spirited driving in the mountains. I guess that is what my 1974 MGB is for.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    the MSRP and full spec details are now available on the Kia Canada website on the Rio sedan which is now just arriving at dealerships in Canada.
  • btatrbtatr Posts: 75
    I noticed a trunk release lever in one of the photos above for the Canadian RIO sedan. Isn't that interesting because I have the 5 Door RIO SX US version and there's no interior hatchback release button or lever.
  • That's because the SX has an electronic locking mechanism for the hatch, not a mechanical one. The electronic mechanism makes having the mechanical lever obsolete. You don't need to "pop" the hatch using a lever since you only need to touch the button under the rear hatch handle to activate the electronic lock.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    The reason there's an interior release for the trunk on the sedan is because if you don't use the key, there isn't any other way to open the trunk. On the 5-door you don't have that problem, because there's a handle on the outside. So no need for an interior hatch release on any 5-door model.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    Well, there IS a reason... for example, so you can unlock the hatch for someone you are dropping off someplace so they can get their stuff out of the back w/o grabbing the handle, which might be covered with who-knows-what. But they'll have to touch the lid someplace anyway to lift it.

Then there's the question of, what happens if the electric latch switch fails on the hatch? Some of these hatches don't have a keyhole anymore--not sure if the Rio5 has one.

My old Elantra GT doesn't have an interior hatch release, but the latch in back is mechanical plus there's a keyhole.
    I agree with cbmorton reference a passenger exiting the vehicle and wanting to quickly grab something out of the rear storage area. First, it's quicker/easier for them, and second, they are not familiar with the location of that electronic button.

Is this a major issue? Of course not. However, with all of the high tech gadgets, such as a rear view camera, one would think an interior hatch release button would be standard. I had one on my Ford Focus and it was sooooooooo convenient.
    If they can't figure out where the rear hatch handle is located then they have serious problems :) (it's not exactly a hidden button)

does this look difficult to spot?

The best place to lift the rear hatch is with the handle.
    Rio 5's without remotes have a keyhole. All a release will do is pop the hatch it won't fully open so you still have to grab it and lift, so its not as if you was an auto version where it fully opened. A sedan is different as it will pop more open due to its size and weight.
    As for if the electric latch switch fails - which would be extremely rare, then there is an emergency tailgate safety release which is mentioned in your manual.

My previous Rondo and now my new Soul doesn't have an inside mechanical hatch release. Not sure if the Rio has it but when I stop and put my Soul into park all the doors unlock automatically, so a passenger wanted to get something out of back just goes around and grabs the handle-latch and lifts the door to get the item out, I can't see a mechanical release would make it go any quicker. Never been an issue to me.

I had an older station wagon that had the mechanical release, but all it did was unlock it, the door barely moved.
  • The Accent is cheaper, more available, has more drivetrain options and looks just as good as the Rio.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    What additional drivetrain options does the Accent have that the Rio doesn't?
    both the Accent and Rio use the same transmissions and engine. There is no difference in that respect.
    Only the base model is cheaper and it depends whether you are talking about a sedan or a hatchback
    Accent sedan manual - $12,545, Rio - $13,400
    Accent sedan auto - $15,295; Rio - $14,500

Accent hatch manual - $14,695, Rio 5 - $13,600
    Accent hatch auto - $15,895; Rio 5 - $14,700
    My guess is he was referring to how a manual transmission is standard across the board in the Accent lineup, but only available on the base Rio in the USA.
    Obviously they will eventually figure it out but I don't think you get it. Having an interior hatch release isn't necessary, but it is a nice little extra. Why not throw it in? I had a hatch release in my Ford Focus and it would open the hatch so all you had to do was lift. It was one of those things you think you never need until you have it and then miss it.

Admittedly this sounds like a spoiled American but why not? As I mentioned earlier, this is a trivial flaw in an otherwise fabulous vehicle.
    Even though the Accent uses the same engine and transmission, the RIO wins out on looks and more high tech features such as a rear view camera, LED Running and Brake Lights, plus outside mirrors that fold with the press of a button. In addition, the outside mirrors are heated on the RIO which is a major plus in a cold climate.

If that isn't enough, the KIA has UVO so you can control Sirius Satellite Radio and your phone with voice commands.
  • I've driven both models. The EX drive feels far superior to the SX. The EX is smooth where the SX feels every bump and feels as if it loses it's grip on a rough road. Basically feels like two different cars. There is no way I would buy the SX. What did they do to screw up the ride so badly? It can't just be to 17" wheels, but I guess it could. They didn't have the color in stock yet that I wanted for the EX model but did for the SX. The salesmen couldn't understand why I wouldn't just pay $200 dollars more. He didn't understand that that the SX model drove like [non-permissible content removed]. That dealership in Fairfax, VA is horrible. I never got an hones answer out of them. They lied on the quote over the phone and the one they gave me through NFCU and then were pushy and tried to sell me a car I didn't want. I've told them to stop calling me and they continue to do so. Sorry about the dealership rant.
    The Focus had the interior release because there wasn't one on the outside - just a keyhole. Again, it's pretty standard to only have a release inside OR outside. I guess Kia could have included both, but it's not surprising that they didn't, especially at this price point. Still, if that's the worst "flaw" in your opinion I think it's an example of how Kia did pretty well equipping this car!

My "trivial flaw" is that the ignition has to be on to close the sunroof. Most cars give you 45-60 seconds to close the windows and sunroof after you shut off the engine, but on Kia vehicles this only works for the windows. Now there's something I wish they'd thrown in.
    Conanrulee' post proves buying a car is very personal decision as you should never allow someone else to sway your opinion. In this case, my feelings are the complete opposite of his.

The 5 Door SX RIO handles extremely well, I describe it as nimble and I prefer it over the softer, middle of the road EX model. With the SX you sacrifice a little comfort over rough surfaces, such as expansion joints, for better handling. I'm not sure why he feels the car loses it's grip on rough surfaces because I don't sense that at all.

I also like the low profile 17 inch tires plus the beautiful aluminum wheels on the sportier SX model. But he's right about that, those tires and wheels definitely change the handling equation. Judge for yourself and see what rocks your boat.
  • To me, they were like two different cars. Seriously, the SX was such a rough ride it has made me lose interest in the car.