Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Rio - reviews

13»

Comments

• ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    edited January 2012
    I once took a terst drive in a Nissan that rode really harshly as well. When we got back to the dealership, we checked the tire pressure - they wer all at 40 psi, not the 32 as specified. Maybe they are pumped up high for shipment? Anyway, once we lowered the air pressure, the thing drive MUCH smoother.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    I also agree with the previous post, the tire pressure appears to be a very common problem, maybe try the car again but check the tire pressure first to make sure its at the right pressure.
    The vehicles are shipped from the factory with very high pressure (usually over 40 psi) and a lot of times they are not checked when they get to the dealership, particular if they have not had time to PDI the vehicle.
  • I also have an SX. The ride is a bit rough over rough roads, but that's due to it having a "tighter" suspension. I don't mind it at all. I like to "feel" the road.

Also, my tires had 40 psi in them when I took delivery, which I promptly lowered.
  • btatrbtatr Posts: 75
    Placeman's post is a perfect of example of why I always say everyone should make up their own mind without being heavily influenced by other opinions. Test drive the vehicles and decide for yourself if you prefer a tighter suspension, which gives you better handling, but is a stiffer ride on rough roads. Or maybe you prefer a more comfortable/softer ride and you're willing to sacrifice tighter handling for the extra comfort? There's no one answer for every driver.

Having said that, look at the RIO SX because it is one fabulous vehicle. If you need more room, check out the KIA Forte SX. We have both and love'em.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    conan, thanks for your posts. I did not know that NFCU prenegotiates with a specific dealer ahead of time. I knew they had pre negotiated prices, but did not know you had to go to a specific dealer. I'm tired of going to Fairfax for all my purchases. I have a Kia dealer much closer and NFCU will have to allow me to go to them or its no deal. I sat in a Forte SX this weekend and liked it a lot. It is now #2 on my list after the Honda Fit. I did not come away with a good impression sitting in the Accent nor the Rio 5 for visibility. The Fit is like a modern day Pacer when it comes to visibility; amazing. Based on all your comments, I'll go back and sit in (and maybe drive) a Rio 5 [again]. I loved the interior but found the rear window small, just like the Accent.
    Can you all chime in to define what Sport Tuned suspension actually means? I prefer a floaty driving experience; one that handles today's potholes with a bit more grace. I'm not one for (let's say) the Ford Mustang driving experience that you feel every crack/crevice/bump/hole in the road, and your back pays for it later.
    As for the Forte, I'm a bit concerned that the 2.0 liter engine and steering are the same as what is in my current Elantra Touring. I really don't like the steering very much. I could drive all these cars, but since I'm still a year away from any purchase, I'll stick to your opinions since you've done all the driving for me :D
  • btatrbtatr Posts: 75
    We have a Forte SX and it's a fabulous car. In my opinion, it's the best value for your money on the road. I think your comment was wrong because the Forte SX has a very powerful 2.4 liter engine that is a vast improvement over the 2.0 Liter Engine in the Forte EX. I would never buy that car because I didn't like the 2.0 liter engine. However, the SX engine is extremely smooth and powerful. It's one of the hidden gems in this class of vehicles.

As for the suspension, any time you buy a car with sports tuned suspension and low profile tires like the Forte SX model, you will have much better handling on smooth roads. However, the ride will be stiffer on rough surfaces or highway expansion joints. It's like anything else in life, you have to decide if you want better handling versus a softer more comfortable ride. You can't have it both ways.
13»