Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 or 2008 Civics over 100K Miles.

tkdkl83tkdkl83 Member Posts: 1
This is my first time trying to buy a used car from a dealership and have looked at reviews, consumer reports, KBB, and of course edmunds TMV calculator to figure out pricing. I have even checked the carfax reports of a few cars and have a couple in mind.

The 2006 and 2008 Civics I am looking at are all over 100K miles for around $12000, and have had only one owner per carfax. They seemed to have a consistent maintenance schedules. I didn't see anything about them changing out the AT transmission fluid though. I did see something about required maintenance performed listed.

Is there anything I should be looking out for as well? Are these even good cars to invest in since I am wanting something to last me a long time. I guess I am just looking for general advice since it is my first time going through this process.

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    First of all, don't depend on a Car Fax to tell you much of anything. They are simply something to look at and most dealers don't report maintenance.

A well maintained Civic is just getting started in life with 100,000 miles.

I wold take it to a dealer or a quality Indy shop for a pre purchase inspection if you aren't car savvy.
  • tahoebob1tahoebob1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Civic EX with about 170,000 on it. The only issues I have had over the lifetime have been the little latch on the center console ($3 dollar part) and most recently the seal which runs up both sides of the windshield and over the top has worn through. It is hot where I live. Recently when I put on newer tires I lost MPG. Something to consider. Hope this helps! :)
  • shelburnerickshelburnerick Member Posts: 3
    That combination of mileage (100 000 miles), age (3-5 yrs) and price ($12 000) don't line up to me. I'm looking at a 3 year old (2008) Civic in Nova Scotia with 30,000 miles on it for CDN$15,400 pretax, and in town there was a 2008 Corolla with 87,000 miles for CDN$8,000 pretax. Both one owner vehicles with well-documented maintenance records.
  • ihatehonda1ihatehonda1 Member Posts: 2
    Buyer Beware!!!I have a 08 accord and a 06 civic and nothing but problems, like brakes needing replacing at 30k tires at 35k and thats not including all the problems I have with the civic. The 06 civic has a list of problems and several class action lawsuits. The Motor has a recall as well as the Sunvisors, and the tire wear, upper control arm are big problems that can't be repaired. Of course it's not a problem if you like buying tires ever year.... The biggest complaint is that Honda doesn't stand behind thier product when it's an obvious engineering flaw in their design. I'LL NEVER BUY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good bye Honda. POS
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    My upper control arms were replaced in the rear due to excessive tire wear under a TSB...all has been fine since. Honda even gave me 1/2 for the costs I laid out for two new rear tires. Asked for the whole amount but was happy to get at least half back. Car has just shy of 33,700 and am very happy with it still.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    February 2011 I bought 2007 certified honda accord lx manual for $12,500 plus tax with 34,000 miles from dallas area dealer. Right now I have 81,000 miles nothing but oil and filter every 5k miles. 2000 miles ago new set of micheline defender tires (i like them a lot) I average 32 MPG with about 80% highway. I was looking at civics but they were too expensive so I went with accord. Brakes look good for another 40k miles
  • jswiftyjswifty Member Posts: 19
    I have 100,000 miles on my 06 civic. The car requires much less maintenance than my former 95 civic, which my son is still driving with about 180,000 mi. I have yet to pay for a repair on the 06 civic because Honda has covered the few problems, such as the sun visor, under recalls or outside of warranty. Recently the car had the excessive tire wear caused by a defect in rear suspension design, which some on this forum have noted. The dealer replaced the control arm for free under the terms of the recent settlement: http://settlement-claims.com/controlArm/index.html
    I submitted a claim to Honda for prorated reimbursement of the replacement tires, but I don't know how much I will receive. I plan to buy a civic again in the future.