Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Hyundai Sonata Tire Problems

Comments

• My Sonata has had all the tires replaced. The noise is gone, however, the pull to the left remains. More pronounced on the left crown of the road but it sill does it on the right crown. The Goodyear's Assurance, I replaced the OE tires with, have been great. No noise, no uneven wear. No nitrogen in this set and I think my MPG have shown it, 32.5 mpg vs 33.25.
  • lorisolalorisola Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    My 2012 Sonata had a several recalls - now my car has bald tires - Hyundai claims the air pressure had nothing to do with it - Even though I am under 100% warranty thee claim it is not their fault - Air pressure light came on weekly, I put air in my tires weekly - Allen Laguna Niguel states it was just a sensor problem. They reset my sensor system and completed a recall on the alignment. Steve Blaker now refuses to work on my car. They ordered a new guard but decided I have to go elsewhere. I spent 28,000 on July 5, 2011 at Allen Hyundai in Laguna Niguel- what happened to 100% warranty? This is only the start.......
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    The 10/100,000 mile warranty is clearly labeled "Powertrain Protection". I'm not so sure the "what happened" comment should be applied to the Hyundai side of the equation here.

If there's a problem with something else (other than wear items), your warranty is 5/60,000.

Wear items like tires and brake pads are not warrantied. If you did, in fact, air your tires every week, I'd have to agree with the dealer that the air pressure had nothing to do with your tires wearing out. Most car manufacturers install whatever tires they can find at a good price on their new cars. That generally means the original equipment tires won't last a long time. You haven't said how many miles the tires lasted. Your driving style is very important in tire longevity along with the tire compound. Just as a guess, if you're not getting good gas mileage on the car, your driving style is probably affecting both the tire and gas mileage.

I certainly don't agree with the dealership not wanting you as a customer unless, of course, there's been some unpleasantness in the relationship.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    dealers do not warranty the tires-the tire manufacturer does.
  • rysterryster Posts: 529
    In most cases, OEM tires (the tires that come installed from the factory) carry no treadwear warranty. They have a warranty that is different than the warranty for "replacement" tires.

For example, Kumho and Hankook both have a specific warranty for "replacement" tires that you would purchase from a tire dealer. The warranty for their OEM tires is totally different (and is limited to what is in the Kumho or Hankook booklet that comes with the car when you buy it.)

For tire issues, check out the booklet that the tire manufacturer included with the the vehicle and work directly with the tire manufacturer or one of their authorized tire dealers.

As far as a Hyundai dealer refusing to work on your vehicle, that is something you should address with Hyundai Consumer Affairs. Call them and calmly explain your situation. They may be able to make a couple of calls on your behalf and help get the dealer issue resolved.
  • Yes - I just replaced mine up here in Canada at around the same mileage to the new Michelin MXV4's, V-Rated tires. No Problems at all. The Factory Michelin rubber is garbage. The suspension I was worried about as well, so I had the front brakes tightened up a year ago and have never had a problem. From what I've read on other forums you can swap out the suspension for a more sport tuned package, but this something that could ultimately cause traction issues. Ultimately this is a 50/50 shot unless you can find a reliable suspension place to deal with.

Had this car on the highway yesterday trimming 190 km/hr with no problems at all. Had to test out the tires ... lol ... ;)
  • abdobabdob Posts: 2
    Same exact problem what did you end up doing?
  • skip1744skip1744 Posts: 6
    I had all 4 wheels aligned at the dealer and installed 4 new Michelin tires. Dealer actually had a deal with Hyundai and Michelin and he had the best price I could find. that was a year ago and no problems since.
  • lcevenlceven Posts: 4
    Dropped $600+ on four Goodyear Assurance, 20K miles on them and no issues to date.

I will not take my vehicle to the dealership for any non-warranty service, ie oil change, alignments and such.

Moreover, as I consider my next vehicle purchase, I will be putting Hyundai, towards the bottom of the list. :shades:
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Posts: 82
    Hey targettunig, can you see now why I got out of the tire and auto service biz? I could not stand trying to educate the growing # of morons flooding the auto market. The more info there is out there for us, it seems, the less educated people seem to be.
  • lora1432lora1432 Posts: 2
    I have had similar problems. My 2011 Sonnata now has around 32k miles but I noticed the road noise about 6k miles ago..........I have rotated my tires about 3 times they are due for a 4th but I am going to buy new tires and have my car aligned. I went to my dealer and he told me the noise was from the tire cupping most likely the alignment is off. I don't know if it is just the alignment or something else. I guess I will find out after I have an alignment done and put a new set of tires on. I work for a tire company and the guy's here suggested the Yakohama OPTIMO #1010865. Good Luck
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited April 2012
    Lora: 32,000 miles about what we got on many OEM tires on GM and Honda. We have a 2012 Sonata with Kuhmos and noticed slight feathering, at 2400 miles, on the outside ribs that we suspected was caused by Toe-In being out or maybe Camber. We had the same thing on a Pontiac. The tech at our dealer adjusted the Toe-in slightly to stay within specs since he concurred that could be the cause. Only 1100 added miles so no clue if it worked but we are monitoring the old backs that were moved up front at our request so we could see the wear. The old fronts are flattening out on the back which shows the benefit of rotation. The Sonata has a very tight turning radius that may not help if the alignment is off. The dealer did not argue at all about aligning the car or rotating the tires to fix the premature wear problem. so far the car is great- City/highway MPG is EPA or even better at 23-25/ 34-37.6 depending on conditions. Great car so far.
  • I just had to replace my front tires after 14 months and 22,500 miles. What really surprised me is that my tire shop looked up the standard tires for my Sonata and found a 15 inch tire. On the car was actually a 16 inch tire. Is this the factory cheating on their own specs, or is it the dealer who just decided to put on something cheaper.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    You don't say what year your Sonata is, but I don't recall that Hyundai has used a 15" tire for some time. Have you considered the possibility that your tire shop is full of do-do?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    According to Tire Guides, Sonata's haven't come with 15" since 2005. Your tire shop looked this up wrong - or something.

Also, if only your front tires wore out, then you didn't rotate - and that's why you only got 22K. If you had rotated, you would have gotten over 35K - reasonable for OE tires.
    The OEM Kumho Solus KH25 tires on my 2011 Sonata were all worn out after 31,000 miles. They were rotated every 8,000 miles and were still all down to 4/32's tread depth after 31,000 miles. Sure, I could have pushed them to 2/32's (another 5-10K miles), but they were getting too noisy and the wet weather traction had become downright dangerous.

Just had them replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4s. Hope to get better service out of them.

I have rarely ever been able to get more than 30,000 miles out of OEM tires on any vehicle I have ever owned despite regular rotations. The only exception was a 2003 Dodge Durango that was still on the OEM Goodyear tires after 3yrs/45,000 miles (although they were starting to dry rot.) Had I not traded the Durango, I would have had new tires installed on it.
  • 413link413link Posts: 1
    Glad to find this thread. Lots of good info. Will be watching this thread.
    OEM Kumho's have 28k and change. Will be monitoring them closely.
    Have run Michelin's or Cooper's on my Avalon and have been very pleased.
    Am looking to go to 17" wheels and tires when the Kumhos are replaced.
  • dennis_hdennis_h Posts: 16
    :mad: Hyundai Case # 4992124

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that currently has 28,000 miles on it. At about 16,000 miles, I noticed a warbling sound from my tires and it has been getting louder. I purchased a lifetime wheel alignment package with balancing and rotation from Firestone as soon as I purchased the car with 14,00 miles on it. I have had this car’s alignment checked 3 times and have had the tires balanced and rotated each time. The tires are severely cupped or chopped on the inside edge.

The mechanic told me from the first time that I brought it in for alignment that everything is perfect except for the camber, which there is no adjustment for on these vehicles. It appears Hyundai tried to save a few bucks by not installing a camber adjustment bolt.

Now I'm screwed and have to put a set of new tires on that will just do the same thing in another 10,000 miles or so. I have elevated this to Hyundi and opened a case. I will post the results once they "evaluate" my vehicle next week.
    While camber adjustment is not something that is "standard" on the 2011+ Sonata, it certainly is possible to adjust the camber. There is a camber bolt kit that can be installed in the front suspension to allow for camber adjustments to the front. The bolt replaces one of the existing strut mounting bolts, and permits the angle of the suspension to be changed. Change the angle of the strut/suspension, and you are effectively adjusting the camber of the wheel.

From what I have read, the camber of the rear wheels is readily adjustable without any supplemental kits.
    edited September 2012
    I was told that there was an adjustment kit available last week by the technician at Sears (Kuhmo authorized dealer) who inspected my tires. I brought that up to the Hyundia Service Manager and the dealership and he confirmed that that kit existis and they have put them in some of the Hyundia models. He then dicussed my issue with the Hyundia Regional Service Manager to see if they could install it in my vehicle. The RSM said they don't do that anymore and would not install it on my vehicle.

Just don't get why some engineer would decide this was not a necessary adjstment (when it is on all other cars) then they have an issue and want me to have this adjustment kit put on at my expense.

Thanks for the reply!
    You would think that since the dealer has identified a camber issue causing accelerated tire wear, the RSM would approve the camber kit in the interest of customer satisfaction. Actually, the RSM shouldn't even be involved. The dealer should have the power to install the kit under warranty. Especially considering the kit is available. It is an inexpensive, easy fix. They do not use the camber bolt kit for the left-pull issue, but that doesn't mean they couldn't use it for issues such as yours.

A few months ago while I was waiting at my dealer for an oil change, the service manager came out to inform someone else that they needed new tires. The customer complained that they seem to need new tires every 20,000 miles or so. The service manager responded that the alignment is perfect on their car with the exception of the camber. They went on to explain that the camber was static and that the tire wear they were experiencing was not unusual for the car. Basically just said "that's just the way it is. Get used to buying tires." I just shook my head in disbelief. The owner was not pleased and come right out and said this would be their last Hyundai. At that point the Service Manager took the customer behind closed doors.

This is where Hyundai vehicles tend to lose their overall value proposition. The buy-in is lower than the competition, but the ongoing maintenance and frequency of maintenance is where owners spend the difference. Hyundai will do whatever they can to get out of covering issues under "America's Best" warranty. While my 2011 Sonata has been reliable, I can't help but think it is largely due to the excessive amount of routine maintenance that I have put into the car. 9 routine maintenance services in the past 28 months. Easily $500 spent, plus another $700 for a new set of tires at 31,200 miles.

Other makes I have owned (Ford, GM, Chrysler, VW) would have only been on 4 or 5 services at this point. Plus, those makes will honor the warranty no questions asked based purely on vehicle age and mileage. Don't get me wrong. I would not hesitate to purchase another Hyundai, but it will not be the first choice on my shopping list.

I go in for my first unscheduled service tomorrow (random ESC failure light, and random battery malfunction light.) My Sonata is not altered in any way. Hopefully the car has stored some codes and will tell the dealer what went wrong. Otherwise, it could turn into a fiasco. Oddly enough, these warning lights started after the dealer installed the new tires and performed a four wheel alignment. No warning lights what-so-ever up to that point.
  • :lemon: 60,000 miles on my 2011. At this point I have had three alignments, and rotated and balanced the tires every 6-7 thousand miles. The OE Kumos were trashed by 27, 000 miles. My Goodyears are now cupping as well. The vehicle has drifted to the left since early on, and the dealership insist nothing is wrong. Without a doubt, this has been the worst new car purchase I have made.
    The dealer was able to resolve my ESC system malfunction light. Turns out a code was stored for a brake switch/circuit failure. They replaced the brake switch under warranty and had me out in less than 45 minutes. Quick, easy, friendly service experience.

For the battery malfunction light, they found no stored codes. They started out by saying it could be a faulty/worn accessory belt (at 32,200 miles???), and if that is the case it wouldn't be covered under warranty (surprise, surprise.) They checked the belt and said it is fine, and since it uses a spring tensioner there is no adjustment required. The final answer was basically no fault found. My belt will squeal when it gets wet (especially when going through puddles 2 or 3 inches deep.) Again, this is "normal". Uh, okay. Great engineering, Hyundai!

Overall, my 2011 Sonata has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, albeit quirky. It has also been the most religiously maintained vehicle. Service at the dealer has been the best I have experienced over the past couple of decades.

I am hoping that the Michelin Primacy MXV4s I put on last longer than the OE Kumhos. My current plan is to trade the Sonata when it has around 60,000 miles on it. It would be nice to not have to put tires on right before trading it. If I do need to, I am getting cheap Nexen tires. I noticed at the dealer that the new 2013 Elantra GT had Nexen tires, and KIA is using them on the Optima. If Hyundai/KIA is using them OE, then that's good enough for me to throw a set on before trading the car.
  • I brought my Sonata to the dealership yesterday as directed by Hyundia for the case that I opened. One of the other issues was my wife complained that when she started the car and tried to shift, the vehicle would not shift until she turned it off and restarted. This was caused by a defective brake switch and had also thrown a code to the ECM. This was covered no problem under warranty, however; is another well known problem.
    As far as my tires, they dealership said they will get with the RSM after next week (he's on vacation) and will address the camber issue. They feel they should be able to get the camber adjustment kit installed and a new set of tires.... We'll see!!
    edited September 2012
    Hyundai Case # 4992124

Well, I got my answer from the Hyundai District Parts Service Manager (DPSM) today. He said they were going to do NOTHING! I called back to Hyundai Customer Service and spoke with Bert. He said there was nothing much more they could do because the DPSM's word is pretty much final. He said he would try to research further, but in other words, "don't hold my breath".

So, here is where we stand... There appears to be a known problem with the Hyundai Sonata alignment based on posts throughout the internet) which causes the tires to wear uneven and cup on the inside. Hyundai did not make any provision to adjust the camber in the alignment. Their answer to date is "We are not going to do anything to help you out with the problem".
    Their Solution (so far to date): Go buy another set of tires for about $600.00, drive around for another 20k miles and when they start cupping and making all kinds of noise again, just go buy another set!
    Stay tuned boys and girls... this is not over yet.
  • Purchased this new 2011 sonata from local dealer. The care was great till about 10k, when road noise could be heard from the rear of the care. I first thought it was a rear wheel bearing, but finally found out it was the tires. Dealer told me to rotate the tires. After rotating the tires this loud noise moved to the front. This proved that the tires were going bad at 10k. They recommended a wheel alignment which cost $149 which was not covered under warranty. I said this is BS.
    The service rep told me to drive the car till the next oil change and see if the noise would stop after the alignment (to wear tires down to normal). After 6k more the noise was unbearable. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME AFTER OWNING NUMEROUS CARS 15 TO BE EXACT, THAT I HAD TO REPLACE TIRES THIS SOON!!!! After reading these complaints, I think there is a definite problem. This is my first Hyundai and will sure be my last!!!!!
    edited September 2012
    Well, after Hyundai refused to do anything with my Sonata, the Firestone dealer where I purchased my lifetime wheel alignment, balance, & rotation, offered me a really good deal on a new set of tires. I purchased the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. I then went back to the Hyundai dealership with the alignment results (had the alignment checked after new tires installed) and had them verify that everything was within specifications even though the caster on the left front is negative 5.1 degrees and there is no adjustments that can be made.

I am totally dissatisfied with Hyundai's handling of this situation. They refuse to assist me in any way. I went out of my way to purchase a Hyundai Sonata and I have to say that because they chose not to work with me, this will probably be the last Hyundai I purchase. Sounds like they are following the same path as the American car manufactures went down in the 80's and 90s.
  • Pleasr let me know.im in the same situation
    The camber bolt kit for the 2011+ Sonata is a $14 part. It is amazing to me that Hyundai would allow $14 to come between them and customer satisfaction. The other goodwill option would be to ask the customer to pay the $14, and then Hyundai covers all of the labor to install the camber kit. Most people would not blink an eye to pay the $14 if it meant the tires would last 45,000 miles instead of 30,000.

Potential suspension issues aside, Hyundai needs to choose a better OEM tire. The Kumho and Hankook tires they are currently using are garbage. My 2011 Sonata went 31,200 miles on the OEM Kumhos. A co-worker has 30,000 miles on his 2011 Sonata, and the original Kumhos are to the wear bars.

My 2003 Dodge Durango went 48,000 miles on the original Goodyears. My 2006 Chevy Impala went 24,000 miles on its original Goodyears. Another co-worker has 55,000 miles on his 2008 Ford Escape and is still on the original Michelins. My father has 45,000 miles on his 2010 Ford Escape and is still on the original Michelins.

I went with Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my Sonata. I have 2,000 miles on them now and they are a marked improvement over the original Kumhos. They work best at 35-36psi. Trying to run them at the Hyundai recommended 33psi results in less than optimal ride and handling. You wouldn't think that 2-3psi would make much of a difference, but it really does. If the Michelins only last 30,000 miles on the Sonata, the next set I buy will be cheap Nexen CP672s. No more premium tires on the Sonata if it turns out they do not last any longer than cheaper tires. I am hoping to see 45,000-50,000 miles out of the Michelins.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I got 63k miles out of my stock Michelin's on my 2006 Sonata. Have about 40k on the second set now.