Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Volkswagen Passat

2»

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    Solid "European feel", great handling, good gas mileage, great standard features, comfortable seats, tons of back-seat leg room, lots of trunk space. Acceleration is fine (not super-great),

We are planning on buying a 2013 Passat in August to keep in Florida for when we are there. I would have the exact same comments that you do regarding the Passat, and in fact it will be a manual, white with beige interior.

I was first interested when I saw an ad in the Florida newspaper that said they start at $19995. We couldn't find such a model online so we asked the salesman if we could see one. Turns out they don't sell them in Florida because they don't come with air conditioners. Also, that base model has a manual seat selector, which makes it difficult if different people are driving it. Price goes up significantly to get into an SE model, but it is a much better car....touch screen and much nicer interior.

They say they are selling a lot of them but I don't see that many around. We had a Passat rental car last time we were in Florida and it is a very pleasant car, with a nice European influence. I wish it was rear wheel drive though, that would be even better....oh, and maybe add a turbo charger.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• swtureswture Posts: 1
    I have the some problem with the breaks on my 2012 Passat. I have taken it to the dealer numerous times and they can never seem to reproduce the problem. It is very frustrating and disturbing with the number of problems that I have been experiencing with a new car.
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    Have 2012 gas engine SE with 15000 miles. Flawless car better than any Hondas I drove for 20 years. It is a great, great car. Getting 36 mpg on long flat Interstate trips and 31-32 in my daily commute which is 70 per cent highway.

Also had 20111 Jetta TDI and it was just as good and better mileage as 43 mpg was common on my daily commute sometimes more with no air on. Jettta also was flawless after being Honda driver for 20 years.
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    Have 2012 gas engine SE with 15000 miles. Flawless car better than any Hondas I drove for 20 years

Thanks for sharing. Working on ordering a 2013 SE with manual transmission, and your post confirmed what I was thinking, the Passat seems to be a pretty nice car in it's category.

Do you mind me asking....what kind of discount did you get from MSRP?

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• ronm6ronm6 Posts: 1
    Does anyone else find the Sirius NAV traffic and weather takes an extremely long time to update when first turned on?

I start my commute in the morning and it consistently take 6-7 minutes for the traffic to "color" my highway route. So after 7 minutes into my commute I find out that I should have taken an alternate route.

The other day rain was forecast during my commute so I switch to the 'weather' view in the morning and it also took 6 minutes to show where the rain was.

I have a 2012 SEL Premium V6 in the Chicagoland area and still within the 90 day Sirius trial.

Is this normal or should I be going in for a service check?

---
    If normal, I would really think twice about paying the extra fees for this service after the trial.

For non-owners, be aware that the "traffic" view does not work in the 3D view for some reason (like my $100 Garmin) and the weather view (showing rain intensity) automatically zooms WAY out. For the Chicago land area it zooms out to see southern Wisconsin through northern Indiana - and the 'rain clouds' have very jagged edges (poor resolution) and not very accurate. The screen indicated I was driving in moderate rain when in fact it was dry outside.

It's really a shame that this integrated service with an extremely high potential value is (in my opinion) way behind other basic technology. It detracts from the otherwise excellent NAV system.
  • I have a 2013 Passat SEL and just notice after about 900miles of driving the breaks take a longer than normal amount of time to stop the car. I have what seems to be a lot of break petal travel when applying the breaks. I wonder did they try to fix the grabbing problem with this fix which could get a less experience driver into trouble. I will be taking it into the dealership to have them check it out.
  • We bought a 2012 Passat SE TDI last in Nov. 2011. Have drivent the car close to 38K miles and have had zero problems. This is the best most comfortable car I have owned. On a trip from Central Pa to FL we typically average better than 50 MPG. Normal day in day MPG is around 43. On recent trip to RI via Long Island and a very slow transit through NYC we averaged 47 MPG. For the price this, in my opinion is the best value out there.

Bill
  • My Question about VW is why aren'there any 5-10 year old models around that don't look like they are fit for the road? Bad paint, missing trim, discolored headlights. The used ones just look rough.
    If you see one they smoke, sound like they are on their last leg or are being towed somewhere. I hear a lot of good things about VW but don't see it .
  • I just purchased a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. It now has 635 miles and first tank was 38.6 mpg. We love the car and drove both the 2.5l gas and the TDI for comparison. This being our 3rd VW, (well recent VW since in my youth there were many many VWs) we knew some of the issues to look for. The previous two was a 2004 VW Beetle Convertable manual and a 2006 VW Bettle Convertable Auto both which were certified used. The 2004 Bettle has issues with the wife riding the clutch and subsequent replacement 5 times in one year! The 2006 came with 29K miles when purchased in 2010 and 55K when sold this last Aug. The only issue with it as the Air Bag Light came on when we were in the process of trading it in and let the dealer fix it. We later found out that the problem, the new owner called me, and said the passenger seat switch was out. When they went to replace it they found a scrap yard name and number on the bottom of the seat and that the seat was from a 2001! Keep in mind this car has a clean CAR FAX on it.

Anyway, we love the new Passat. The new dual clutch / triptronic transmission is great, the car rides well and we plan on taking a trip from Kansas City to DFW in December. The dealer we used was Northtowne VW in Gladstone, MO and have had fairly good results from them and they provided us a good deal on the car.
  • wies1wies1 Posts: 6
    I will be purchasing a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem with black exterior. I am debating between the beige leather interior or black. I opt to go black because of keeping it looking nice, but the beige also looks nice with the black exterior. Any complaints or suggestions with the beige and keeping it looking new?
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Posts: 107
    I have a 2012 Passat SE, black with the beige interior. I do have some scuff marks on the door and door sill from getting in and out of the car. Normally this cleans up pretty well with a spray cleaner. I also have a 2008 Beetle convertible, same color combination. Same scuff marks, and again this can be cleaned. The beige is certainly beautiful, and as long as I didn't have kids that are jumping in and out, kicking the seats and doors with their shoes, I would recommend the beige.

Bel Air Car Guy
2»