Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW F30 3-Series (2012+)

shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
edited September 2011 in BMW
As I understand it, production of the current E90 3-Series sedan will cease sometime in October of 2011, and production of the next generation (Gen 6) F30 3-Series will commence sometime thereafter. Given that we're within a month of the end of the E90, and probably within six months before the new models hit the showrooms here in North America, I'm thinking it's high time we had a place to discuss the new car.

From what little I've been able to glean from the net, I like the car very much, so much in fact that I suggested to my wife that we consider another European vacation next summer to pick up our second BMW via European Delivery.

Given the significant number of miles I'm driving these days, and given the two teenagers I have at home who'll be itching to get their hot little hands on the keys, I'm thinking the 4-Cylinder Turbo model with a 6-Speed manual, Sport Package, Premium Package, and Xenon headlights. :shades:

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited September 2011
    How much does it weigh? ;)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    No idea, yet. :)
    edited September 2011
    Seriously though, it does look extremely nice. The current 328i is a little too plain vanilla but that turbo-4 should boost (pun intended) the excitement factor considerably. Especially with the aftermarket chips that will inevitably come out!

With a little less weight, a 6-speed MT and minimal options, the entry-level luxury class could be fun again.

I'm anxious for the road tests to start.
  • Because, that would be the first time ever...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited September 2011
    I don't know for sure, but I think it has been something of a building trend lately.

At least on paper (or manufacturer claims), the new 370Z is lighter than the old 350Z. The new WRX is lighter, and I think the new A4 is too (from memory).

Anyways, it seems like 2010 or 2011 was the start of manufacturers making an effort to lighten things up a little.

Once the Corvette and 911 passed the 3000 lb mark a few years ago, I knew that was it for lightweight cars. In this context, a 3300 lb 328i seems more than reasonable.

And with a 4-cylinder engine, forged 17" wheels, and some more aluminum in the suspension and body, I think BMW could shave 100 lbs.
  • A 1969 Lotus Elan was 1800 lbs. :surprise:
  • I think my '82 Accord hatchback was only 2300-2400 lbs.. No A/C, no PS

The Elan had 2 seats and was made out of papier mâché...
    edited September 2011
    I'm thinking you'd be taking your life in your hands while driving an Elan and having a head-on collision with a dragonfly. :P

For my part I'd love to see the 328i pare its weight down to say 3,200 pounds, and with a small(ish) engine and some judicious use of lightweight alloys I think it might just be possible. :shades:
  • Well then don't drive into anything. While I'm just half-serious about that, I do think one reaches a point where the idea of "safety" becomes increasingly elusive. We could probably make a Volvo with slanting-armor and re-inforced flooring to resist IEDs but really, when do we stop?

True Colin Chapman was building cars for racing, so he presumed the driver knew what he was doing.

The problem with building light cars is NOT safety--it's expense. Lightness (ironically) costs more than heaviness. :P
    We might know what we're doing, but we share the road with millions of nitwits who don't.

I agree - 3200 lbs and 240 HP (I-4 turbo) would be outstanding building blocks for a very fine ELLPS.
  • ..that only weighs 2844 lbs.. with a full tank.... ;)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    edited September 2011
    a 318d, a 320d or a 325d with a manual transmission and I'll learn to live with the lack of a dipstick and will get the RFTs sold within a few months of purchase. Sign me up, please.

Ain't gonna happen, never, in this country. Sad. I picked those three examples from a list of 18 diesel offerings for 3-series sedans (well, saloons) listed on the BMW UK website. There are also 13 gassers, for a total of 31 individual choices available outside the U.S. (or Canada) for just the sedan.

Don't get me started on the touring (wagon) options.

Doncha just love what happens when CARB, the EPA and BMWNA's desire to keep BMW "exclusive" all align?
    edited September 2011
    One of the write-ups I ran across in the last few days did in fact hold out hope for a 325d 6-Speed manual for the U.S. market; but not in the first 12 months of production. If I find the article again I'll post a link to it.

Like you I find the new car compelling enough to deal with no dip stick and I don't have any issue at all with buying new skins for a new car (my current Mazda3 came with absolute junk tires, even if they were GFTs; I replaced them when there was 714 miles showing on the odometer).

If I had to choose between a 328i 6-Speed with the Turbocharged I4 gasser or a 325d 6-Speed with a Turbocharged I6 diesel, there would be no hesitation, I'd take the diesel in a heartbeat. :shades:

The above said, my wife and I have each started a new business over the last several years, and while both were well received and growing slowly, in the end they were literally crushed by the economy. Needless to say, times has been (really-really) lean. We're not out of the woods just yet, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I may get the uncontrollable urge to get out of the Mazda and back into a BMW sometime next summer or next fall (assuming all goes well), which means I will probably not be able to wait for the diesel. :cry:
    edited September 2011
    "..that only weighs 2844 lbs.. with a full tank...."

Yours is 20 lbs lighter than mine, but mine has 240 hp... :blush:
  • Slow car fast....fast car slow..... yada, yada, yada... My 168 hp feels pretty strong.

Don't blame me.. I offered to take that porker off your hands... ;)

240!! What did you do to that poor thing?

edited September 2011
    I thought you knew...

Genuine BMW Motorsport GmbH parts:
    Evo III 10.2 to 1 pistons
    Evo III 2.5 crankshaft
    Evo III 272 degree intake cam
    Evo II 264 degree exhaust cam
    Evo III valve springs
    Evo III airbox
    Evo III Air Flow Meter
    Evo III intake trumpets
    Evo III 48 mm throttle bodies
    Evo III (big green) injectors
    Evo III lightweight flywheel
    Gruppe A 2-piece 50mm header

Other upgraded parts:
    Supersprint exhaust
    Bavarian Autosport oil pan baffle
    Z3 1.9 (short) shifter
    Bilstein Sport shocks
    Eibach springs
    BMW Evolution brake rotors
    Mintex C-Tech brake pads
    17” BMW Style 5 (E39 Sport) wheels
    Saaweeeet!
  • See that's what you need to do to get REAL horsepower, as opposed to 4 beers + a K&N air filter. :P
    What if I take the four beer cans, cut the ends off, splice them side-by-side in the shape of a big fart-can and stick that in place of my muffler and exhaust tail-pipe; bet that'll make my car way-way faster. :P