Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer - My Ford Touch issues

Comments

• Ford customer service has told me to wait for the newest update and I just happed to check the site on 9/9 and there it was. I downloaded it and installed it step by step and received confirmation of the install.
    It is a huge waste of time. Not only did it not address the problems but in some cases made it worse. The Bluetooth Media streaming is a joke. It gets confused with USB and other media functions. More frustration! Yes to some people that may sound trivial but it was one of the major reasons I bought the vehicle, of course assuming that everything worked. It didn't work. My advice to anyone considering a Ford Sync/MyTouch vehicle is wait. DONT BUY It ! My dealer has tried so hard with no success. The only issue I have with them is not disclosing the problems they were well aware would surface. Ford has been useless.
    They have a standard robot like answer " Wait for the update". I did and all it got me was another wasted weekend trying to fix the problems of my new 42k Explorer!
    Never again Ford. Thanks for all of your non customer support. Maybe you should have taken the incentive money to fix your defective system.
    My phone update came out in February and on 9/10 they produced an update that doesn't address the IPhone update. Don't waste your money!
    Explortion owner
  • I just wanted to say I surrender Ford. I found a Toyota dealer to buy the Explorer from me and I have wasted way too much time and energy. Ford has made two offers. Imagine spending 44k on a vehicle that has not worked for 11 months. Ford has made two unbelievable offers. One is a maintenance program for 24,000 miles (Toyota gives that on every new car ) and the other being one payment. This move was just as ignorant as repeated denials to attempt to fix the problems. Yes, all of you attorneys willing to work on this THEY REFUSED to try to fix the problem. I am getting rid of it because they will never have a fix and the buyers will watch the watch the value bottom out and Ford right along with it. Yes Ford where quality is Job 1 and the customer is Job 2 at best. It appears the "Dirty Job guy" forgot to tell you about the Dirtiest Job he has been on where the buyers are getting "Jobbed". Owners beware that several law firms are putting together Class Action programs and having no problem finding willing participants. Watch the value on these disasters plummet. the Edsel just found a successor. Good luck, Explortion
  • Posted on the forum site on 9/11/12 was the following message from the geniuses at Ford:
    "The MyFord MyLincoln Touch 3.2 software, which was shown as being available on certain vehicle configurations this past weekend, has now been removed from the website. If you’ve downloaded this software onto a USB drive, but have yet to perform the update, please do not install it in your vehicle. We will make an announcement when the update becomes available on SYNCMyRide.com."
    It is now 10/3. Unfortunately they didn't tell you what to do if already installed. They maintain a database of up to date installations so what's next. Idiots!
    There is only one reason Ford didn't request the government bailout money, nobody knew how to fill out the forms! Suckmyride will be posting something soon I bet, NOT!
    One year and my Explorer Limited has lost 25% of it's value with 11K miles. What does that tell all of you suckers like me. Explortion
  • choe1choe1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 explorer with a lot of the same issues. Been to the service shop 8 times. Most of the screen lock-ups, screen staying on, phone not connecting, etc.... Most issues have been fixed. My ongoing issue is they have yet to fix my phone Bluetooth pairing issues and microphone issues. They first acted like it was my phone until I told them that I used both an android based phone and a windows phone (2 different windows phones) and had the same results. The lady at the dealership told me that there was someone else that brought their vehicle in 5+ times with this issue and they had an iPhone 4gs. They have replaced my module, flashed it 3 times, done many updates and still can't figure it out. Taking it back in on Friday to have the microphone replaced.

I just thought I would pass it on since a lot of the dealerships are saying it is an iPhone compatibility issue.... Which it is not.
  • Another bad phone? Wow could it be that Ford is working on a phone of their own to take care of all of tech challenged suckers who laid down $40 grand plus for their "brainless tech mobile"? So after 10 months and six plus trips to my dealer, a wasted meeting with a Ford field rep expert who explained to me it's an Apple vs Microsoft issue! And in the same discussion went to great lengths to tell me how to install "Apps" in the 2012 Explorer Limited. Before he got too far into his ramble I informed him that this model does not have that capability, just read the Ford literature. Reading being the assumption of mine on his ability to read. I have good news and bad news ( not a joke). Good news for me and Ford that I am dumping this technological wonder and bad news for any hopeful owners of resolution. I had it appraised and in three weeks the value dropped two grand due to the sudden glut of 2012 Explorers showing up in dealer lots in my area. I live in the Great Lakes snow belt area where 4 wheel drive vehicles hold steady at worst. Picking up my 2013 Toyota Highlander in a couple of days. Amazingly enough my IPhone 4 set up in Toyota's Bluetooth system in 5 minutes including streaming music and apps. The Nav system also worked flawlessly right from the first try. Goodbye " Fix or Repair Daily". The only thing worse than the My Touch and Sync system was the Customer Support Team. I went all the way up the ladder and they would be real nice and understanding until you asked for something. I was offered a Maintenance Package for my troubles ( standard with Toyota) and when I finally got to the lead supervisor I was warned that I better take their offer or it will expire. The other good news is there are several large eastern law firms willing to include you in their class action lawsuit. Ford customer service was very consistant in their position, "wait for the update". Three updates later and Ford posted another one on the Sync website so I immediately downloaded and installed it! Two days later they posted a warning on the Sync website directing you NOT to install it in your vehicle. What a joke on the already nervous auto buying consumer. I did the best I could getting rid of it, preserving my rights for damages and getting a great deal on a Toyota. Hopefully when the CEO of Ford gets my letter and backup along with the contact information and documented emails I saved from my experiences with Customer Support he will take some action because Ford stock is edgy at best. Makes you want to run right out and buy one right? Don't buy the Explortion!
  • I have never before even responded when included in class action suits. This time I am so frustrated with Ford's responses I will be a willing participant. How do they release a product with so many flaws? Unbelievable!

My time is valuable(at least to me) and I have no intention of going back to the dealer over and over again with no solution. When they have it all worked out I'll let them fiddle with my car again.

Interestilngly my Lincloln MKZ with the hard drive version of ford sync works great, not as feature-rich, but very solid.
  • devinzdevinz Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I bought my 2012 Explorer XLT in October 2011. At the time they didn't have one in stock with a navigation system in a color I liked. The one I bought has the MyFordTouch system but no navigation system. I was told by the salesman and the accessories representative that I could upgrade the MFT with navigation when it becomes available. I checked in with them every couple of months and was always told it's not available yet. This past week I stopped in and was told that Ford has decided not to allow people to upgrade their MFT with navigation. If you want navigation you have to buy it with the vehicle.
    I have a Garmin but I prefer a built-in system. I'm furious about this. I would not have bought the vehicle at all if I know about this. There are already so many problems with the MFT in my Explorer. Right now it doesn't work at all. The dealership says the SYNC module is bad and they have to order one. WHY DON'T THEY STOCK PARTS THAT OBVIOUSLY CRASH?
    As soon as possible, I'm getting rid of the truck.
  • I was not told that it could be converted. In fact I was told you cannot convert it. However, I was not told that My Ford Touch was not functioning properly and that a large update was imminent. They knew about all of the problems. I purchased an Explorer Limited that was north of 40k. I had it for 11 months and dumped it for a Toyota and took a huge haircut. The Explorer problems are flooding the market. Get rid of it before you drive yourself crazy. Nice looking vehicle but obviously beauty is skin deep. Read my prior correspondence and what Ford Customer Service was like. They offered me an extended maintenance plan and one payment. After going through all of that I found a place to unload it and never buy another Ford. Good riddance Explortion!
    Funny thing the Toyota works, all of it works.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,618
    Don't blame Ford, you were sold a bill of goods by the dealership people.
    Nav costs an extra $900 or close. It's not just an MFT software upgrade. although it seems like it could be.
  • I just took possession of a new 2013 Ford Explorer yesterday. I love it, with one exception. I use an iPhone 4s and had no trouble syncing my phone with the system. Unfortunately, whenever I use the phone feature, everyone I have talked to has had similar comments including "you sound like you're sitting in the back of the truck and the microphone is in front", "you sound like the microphone is covered with wax paper", "you sound like you're inside of a barrel", and "you sound like you're miles away". I've also noticed that the phone cuts in and out through the system, even though the connection on the iPhone is not compromised. We have found this to be true on two different iPhones, mine and the owner of the dealership who is also a friend. Today we tested a droid, and everyone we called said we were crystal clear. Any ideas why none of the iPhones are understandable?
  • The poor microphone sound was one of the many problems I encountered with an IPhone 4. That was the smallest problem I had with MFT. Have you given the Bluetooth Media a workout yet? Mine nervier worked properly. It was like starting all over each day I turned on the Bluetooth and USB ports. Mixed messages would say "searching for phone" and lock up while on the same screen it showed it was connected. I would touch " my services" for directions I had already uploaded and had maybe a 50percent chance of the download failing. I have had inboard nav and turn by turn from MFT and found the turn by turn perfect and always up to date for a fraction of the nav original cost and updates
    Good luck with the media as mine never worked.
    Explortion
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Ford is extending the warranty and offering another upgrade that enhances the voice-recognition and navigation technology on its much-criticized MyFord Touch infotainment system, Mark Fields, soon to be the automaker's chief operating officer, told reporters Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The warranty on the MyFord Touch system will now last for five years, up from three years. MyLincoln Touch will carry a six-year warranty, said Ford spokesman Alan Hall."

Ford to extend warranty, update software for MyFord Touch (Detroit Free Press)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello all of you people like me who have been told by Ford Customer Service that all of the problems we have encountered with Ford Touch and Sync were our imagination, phones, updates and any other garbage to appease you. The CEO of Ford has waved him wand and extended your warranties to 5 years ! What is that supposed to do, extend the aggravation and frustration? Maybe he has heard people say how dangerous it must be to have buyers driving around with a control system that is defective. What about the 40k plus and total waste of time dealing with Customer Service, not the dealer, Ford Corporate? If this forum allows me I will publish their names and contact information for the benefit of all of you unfortunates like me. I only hope that I get contacted by someone at Ford corporate to make me whole for my time, money and incredible frustration.
    I believe Ford owes us. When I purchased my 2012 Explorer Limited not one person at the dealership told me about all of the problems they have been experiencing. Not even a mention. That Is criminal to me to knowingly market and sell anything that simply put doesn't work!
    So now the Wizard of Oz steps in and grants an extended warranty due to their issues! Are you kidding me? Have they fixed it? No they have not. What a joke!
    Can you spell class action? Ford management please respond.
    Explortion
  • I was contacted by a reporter for Bloomberg Business Week and I am quoted in an article about the Ford technology problems. It seems Ford is the worst of all the companies because they rushed the system without thorough testing. The link is http://bloom.bg/YOBKhU . Now my vehicle is at the dealer.....again. This time Ford customer service is all over it. They say they are replacing the APIM or whatever and also replacing the SD nav card, as well as doing the software update. We'll see.
    Bad link?

• Ford customer service, Allison and Heather, really took an interest in helping me resolve the problems. My dealer, Englewood Ford in Englewood , NJ worked on the car this week. They replaced the APIN unit(whatever that is) installe a new SD Nav card and did the most recent software update. I am happy to report that MFT is so far working great! I would advise anyone having trouble with MFT to call the customer service number in your manual and let them help you.
  • f18aocf18aoc Posts: 1
    I have an iPhone 4S and have not had any issues with it. I had read this review prior to taking possession of my 2013 Explorer so I made sure to ask my wife if I sounded normal when I called her via the Sync and she said she heard me just fine. Sorry to hear you are having issues with yours. I've only had the vehicle for a week now so call quality might possibly degrade over time. I will keep an ear out for that.
  • We have had our 2013 Ford Explorer XLT for 3 days and are experiencing the same issue. It is almost as if the microphone is faulty. We have connected an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5 with no improvement.
  • I bought my 2012 Explorer XLT in Sept. of 2011. At the time I thought it was the best decision I had ever made; finally a reliable vehicle! Well not 10 days later did I have to bring it to the service department for a Sync issue. That wasn't the only time of course, I've brought back countless times since. I've given up trying to use the turn by turn directions as it doesn't understand me to even give me the correct directions. I've also now use a headset for when I need to be on the phone. I've gotten numerous complaints from people who I'm speaking to on the other end that they cannot hear or understand me and that there is a lot of road noise. Not only am I having countless issues with Sync, but also have had very expensive repairs that have needed to be done (thank goodness it's under warranty), from coolent fan needing to be replaced; most recently I've had to replace an axel. The truck is just a year old. Should I be having this many issues? I have been actually weighing the possibility of trading it in for a completely different vehicle!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I have only had Touch issues with mine, and it has improved with each upgrade they have provided. There is another one out now that I'm going to be doing this week. It may totally resolve the issues finally. Microsoft made Touch just like they make their Windows software - with lots of bugs, but it's getting pretty good now.

As far as all the other issues, that's not normal and also not comforting to the owner, I know. I'd be concerned. If it continues to have issues, don't keep this car outside of warranty! Get a new car. You may have a "lemon", or at least a sweet lemon.....

I've been really pleased with my Explorer - it's my 8th one, and the best in a long time. Mechanically, no issues at all. Only a couple of cosmetic repairs needed, minor and completed easily under warranty. We love how it drives and the room is great. Features are second to none.
  • I purchased a new 2013 ford explorer. Great vehicle trim, engine and ride. The ford sync for the past 5 months has not worked better than 20% of the time. The navigation consistently cannot compute a destination, it tells you where you were not where you are. The clock also has the wrong time every time you get in the car but figures out the correct time after 10 minutes or so. Using it for navigation to a destination is useless. You can wait 15 minutes for it to try and figure out a route. Took it to the dealer 4 times, updated software and chip, last visit I was told ford engineers were working on a fix. No idea when ford engineers will develop a fix but I was told to contact the dealer every month to see if there is a fix. I asked if I could be contacted when a fix was found to alleviate the waiting and surprise factor, I was told ford would not.

The dealer winner ford in cherry hill was very nice and helped as much as they could. Apparently the sync is not giving an error code even though there is an obvious error. The ford customer service rep was also very nice, got me a rental after my second dealer visit and called after every visit to check on status. Offered to extend the warranty and was sympathetic.

My issue, fix the problem ford, call me when it is fixed so i dont have to call and loan me a GPS until the problem is fixed. I understand you are not a software company and this appears to be a software problem, but you need to sell cars that work. Give me a year of trouble free driving before I have a problem.

The link is a video of the navigation not working.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d6B1kzC5qsI&feature=plcp
  • My parents have a 2013 Edge. I'm pleased to confirm that the latest software update to MyFordTouch has resolved cell phone road noise problem! :)
  • A Windows ME system that is. In the last year I have driven four Ford Edges, an Explorer and a Mustang GT, so I've spent a lot of time with these systems.

Let's start with the worst, ignoring the tacky non-functional body kit and the 1980s automatic transmission the Mustang was OK, the engine was brilliant. The MyFord Touch was a disaster. We were listening to a book on my iPod, three times it decided I didn't have an iPod and chose some random other thing to play. The system reset on several occasions and sometimes wouldn't connect to Bluetooth or USB. Sometimes it also forgot about the satellite radio. We actually pulled over on I93 in NH to switch off the car and restart the 'entertainment'.

The later Edges and Explorer were better but shared common faults. The random disconnects and failures to recognize Bluetooth and USB were still present. The next thing we noticed and I don't remember noticing it on the Mustang, was the difference of opinion between the dash and the touch screen. The dash would deny I had a phone or iPod while the main display showed that I was streaming audio from my phone. How can you not be entertained by this late 90s behavior. Now if they fitted the Mustang gearbox to the Explorer it would be easy to think you were back in the past.

The most irritating thing is the slow startup. I have been an embedded systems engineer since the early 80s, I have done a variety of military and civil jobs. I have never had a project that took a second to start. In embedded software a second is a lifetime, in aircraft control systems if you can't restart in 1/50th of a second then you can't do the job. Each time I started the Explorer I'd poke and poke at the screen waiting for it to decide it was alive, the display was on already, then it would issue a startled group of beeps and apply all those ignored button presses. This really isn't good enough. Then there was the "did it find anything interesting" lottery, would I be listening to the real BBC world service on my phone or the fake one on satellite (the rest of the world gets much wider programming) or something from the iPod?

I could always get round the system eventually, except that once we had to pull over in the Mustang. But this really really isn't good enough.

I stopped using the bluetooth in the Explorer because of the wind noise problems. Nobody could understand me. But as far as that is concerned the Edges all appeared to be OK, it was only an Explorer issue for me.

The voice commands were worse than useless. Last week Jeremy CLarkson drove a Shelby Mustang with this calamity of a system and ended up yelling "will you shut up" at it. I think that was about the level of success I had too. I could not get it to voice dial anything, no method worked.

This system is garbage at present, somewhere there are a bunch of self satisfied little idiots who think they did an acceptable job. What planet are you people on? You need to spend a few hours in one of your own cars.

I must admit I know one of the Germans who did the BMW iDrive CCC system (after they ditched their Microsoft based version 1 - are you listening Ford?) and it was a bit opaque to use at first, but it came up fast and was reliable the one time I used it on a 5 series in 2004 or so. That uses VxWorks, the same operating system used on things like spy satellites, space probes, the Mars Rovers, commercial aircraft and bombs... all things that absolutely have to work. They switched to CIC which is based on another realtime operating system, QNX, in about 2008. I liked the Audi MMI too and can't ever remember having any problems with the Infiniti system, that just works.

PLEASE FORD, do something about this garbage!
  • I have been having issues with my gps when my 4s is connected via Bluetooth to the system. As soon as the phone is connected the GPS jams up, will not move as I drive, clock can eventually be off by a few hours as well. Ford said nothing was wrong with my gps after they did an update in October. I got in my vehicle, phone connected, GPS put me on Michigan way and us route 12. I live in sc and the map was in Michigan! Then they don't believe me that the GPS is not working, I brought it up for yet anothe update to find out I already had it, so more time wasted. Essentially can not use phone via Bluetooth and use navigation at the same time!! This sucks!! System gets touchy and blacks out, does system maint frequently too. Dealer told me it had to be an app on the phone, oh and I forgot to mention that I got another 4s and it was DOING THE SAME CRAP, so I removed apps...still did the same stuff...finally got pissed enough to call ford customer service and still got No help from amber I believe her name was, she was useless....I had apple on the phone trying to help and no one at ford could help since this chick was angling my case ad was no where to be found, another hour wasted, then when she emailed she stated that she would not be speaking with apple! So I finally blow up at the dealer, they take my car for a week and my phone for two days, they replicated the issues, replaced the apim, supposedly had an 4s that they were testing it with and everything worked. I get in it, doesn't work right off the bat, so I am on The phone with apple again...my phone is wiped, took otter box off as that was the only variable and still jamming up the system....I just did a master reset and will disconnect the battery too, but I am spent on trying to figure out if it is MY phone (have had two now). Very disappointed with ford, their customer service and EXCUSES, they really need to figure this out or I will not be leasing from them again. Why am I trying to fix this anyway? :confuse: Shouldn't OC welch be doing this and making me a happy client?
  • princebabaprincebaba Posts: 1
    I am the mostly proud owner of a new Ford F-150 Limited Pickup Truck. I have owned the vehicle for approximately one month. This is a new venture for me as it is the first American car I have ever purchased, and the first pickup. While this is quite the norm for many Americans, I have been driving Ultimate Driving Machines for most of the last 20 years. After too many flat tires and bent rims to count, I decided I was ready for a change. The truck is comfortable and looks great! The kids love the room it provides and being up high. I no longer spend my time in fear that the next pothole I hit will put me on the back of a flatbed. Shortly after bringing my new truck home, I started experiencing problems with the SYNC system not unlike those mentioned on the website. Connecting my iPhone 4S was hit or miss. Bluetooth Audio was also intermittent. The System froze regularly, GPS Position was off as was system time. The Service Advisor was friendly and courteous and asked me about the number of Contacts I store. I told him approximately 6500. He informed me that syncing so many contacts with the system often creates problems. He also mentioned that having location services turned ON for Google Maps can cause the GPS position to be incorrect. Together we DELETED my phone from both the SYNC system and the iPhone ('Forget this Device' under Bluetooth settings). We also went to the Location Services settings (under Privacy in the iPhones settings) and turned Google Maps location services to off. We re-synced the phone opting not to sync contacts. The good news, is that for now, everything is functioning as advertised. He smiled and informed me that this was not likley the last issue I would have, but for the moment I am pleased that after 3 Start/Stops things are working consistently. I will post again as things progress. I am hoping for the best....
    Have you performed the Upgrades? There are several. Mine did the same initially, but every upgrade has made it better, and it's fine now. I also have a 4S.
  • ksmith333ksmith333 Posts: 6
    I had the same problem. So far the fix has been to unconnect my phone from the vehicle and unconnect the vehicle from the phone. while the phone will now not work (the phone will but not though the vehicle), everything else works fine. We are still attempting to figure out why the phone is messing it up. I have an Iphone 4
    Had that issue initially - but the first or second upgrade (can't remember for sure) fixed that right up.
  • ksmith333ksmith333 Posts: 6
    Bummer as we have tried new "brains", new cards and so far nothing has worked so I just leave phone unhooked. Please let me know if you some up with something else that works