Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    You mean to say you can't get a Skyactiv stick with a USB port or XM radio? Well that does suck! I don't have either right now but would like at least a USB port on my next car.

OTOH I know how to turn a temperature knob so I don't need auto climate control. Six months of the year, it's on full Heat anyway. ;)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Not sure about satellite radio but I don't see mention of a USB port anywhere, just a dealer-addon iPod interface. Which I suppose I could use...provided it comes with an iPod.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,690
    I love the new colors on the Mazda3. Some look quite subtle and amazing.

I think theoretically you can get a skyactiv with xm and a port for your ipod. They've just started production, and so these things are still in the pipeline, perhaps.

Here's my guess: Consumer Reports will probably rate the Skyactiv Mazda3 as their number 1 recommended small car. That combined with the fall of the Civic off of their recommended list entirely might bring about a spike in sales.

The Mazda3 Skyactiv 6MT is really an impressive machine from all I've read. I'd like to drive one...

Have any manuals actually been spotted on the lots. Looks like my local dealer only has autos with the skyactiv models...
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Posts: 36
    edited October 2011
    Nothing But autos here also. Mostly 4 doors.
    I wonder what the mix is between hatch and sedan.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    My local dealer has 5 SkyActive Sedans, 4 automatic, 1 manual. They have no SkyActiv 5-Door models.
    That's so sad. I'd never buy something with a trunk again. But it seems like we only like hatches if they come with big wheels on a tall, jacked up chassis.
  • According to a search of 2012 Mazda3 on a different website there are 2382 2012 Mazda3 I touring or grand touring. the breakdown is 1895 sedan and 487 5 door. So about 4 to 1 sedan to 5 door. it also shows only 50 with manual transmission.
    interesting. Which website is that? Any skyactiv manuals in Louisville?
    edited October 2011
    Out of all small cars. Ford's Fiesta is #1, according to them...

The 2012 Mazda3 ranks 2 out of 35 Affordable Small Cars.

Pretty good!

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Mazda_Mazda3/

The only weak areas they saw were the styling (but I like the styling, so...) and the rear seat room. Rear seat room could be better, but I doubt the Fiesta has much more...

Wish they'd put the Skyactiv engine in the Mazda5! I own a 2010 Mazda5. The 2012 model is rated 21/28 for mpg. Probably with a Skyactiv it would get to c. 25/35...
  • cars.com has a search function that you can change to get the data you want.

I didnt find any skyactive manuals in Louisville.
    Thanks.

This is from Automobile magazine:

"Real-World Performance
    To see how the SkyActiv technology works in the real world, we drove a 201-mile highway loop. With the cruise control set at 70 mph, we averaged an impressive 40.8 mpg, on par with the 40-mpg highway number predicted by Mazda and the EPA...."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1110_2012_mazda_3_i_grand_touring_sk- yactiv_g_sedan_first_drive/index.html#ixzz1cME3tKCK
    After driving a Fiesta I'm stunned they'd fuss about the rear seat room of a Mazda3. Why? The Mazda3 has a whopping five inches more leg room than the Fiesta.
    Yeah, just doesn't make sense. I'd take the Mazda3 over a Fiesta any day...
  • Its a no brainer - I hate to say it but you wont find me buying a car thats called a "fiesta" which soulds like "siesta" thats a ford made entirely made in Mexico ??? wretch-barf The relsale value of American cars is bad enough but build em in Mexico and ,,,well you do the math . Noting against Mexico or the people but if you have a car thats supposed to have pride of heritage in its brand then build the dang thing where it is from -- I hope Mazda dosent pull a Toyota or a Subaru or name any other Japanese cars -- 3% of Corollas imported to the USA are actually made in Japan ! I was at Longo Toyota the US's largest volume sales dealer averaging over 2000+ units a MONTH ! and I took a Golf cart and tried to find a J designated corolla and after going thru over 250 I found 1-
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Noting against Mexico or the people but if you have a car thats supposed to have pride of heritage in its brand then build the dang thing where it is from
    Many automakers, including Mazda, are building vehicles globally. The Mazda6 was being built in the US until this year. My recollection is that Mazda also builds some of its vehicles in Thailand.

And quality does not suffer as a result. The Corolla built in Ontario, Canada ranks as one of the best built cars in the North American market.

Building globally can lower transportation costs, take advantage of local government incentives and counteract high currency rates.
    Wish they'd put the Skyactiv engine in the Mazda5! I own a 2010 Mazda5. The 2012 model is rated 21/28 for mpg. Probably with a Skyactiv it would get to c. 25/35...

Might even do better, it depends on the aerodynamic factors. But I also wonder if the SkyActive-G has enough torque to motivate the Mazda5 properly. The SkyActiv-D would probably be a better match, maybe that's the model it's going to show up in? It's relatively low volume, so it would be a good platform (read: "expendable") to test acceptance of the diesel.
    I checked out the 2012 Mazda3 with Skyactiv at my local dealer today. They had quite a few in stock--all automatics. I sat in a Touring on the show floor. I didn't notice any significant changes inside from the 2011s, so whatever changes were made are subtle. I did notice the rear seat room is as tight as I remember--about the same as some smaller cars like the Accent, and a little less than the Cruze. Also I noticed some cost-cutting in little things like, no padding on rear armrests (Mazda must think rear passengers have tougher elbows than front-seat passengers), no sunglasses holder, no vanity mirror lamps, HVAC controls not very smooth in operation, and fixed center armrest. These are things I'd like to see in a $20k car. But the leather steering wheel felt good.
    Thanks for the good report.

If you go back hope you'll drive one--esp. if they have a manual transmission model!
    I didn't drive the car because I'd prefer a stick on the Mazda3 Skyactiv, also it will be some time before I buy my next car so I don't want to waste the sales reps' time--especially on a Saturday. But if they offer a test drive, I'll take it. :)

Also I'd like a car with more rear seat leg room if I can get it. I could live with the room in the Mazda3 but I'd have to drive my wife's Sonata whenever we took someone with us for a trip of any distance, including our kids.
    Uhh, what C-class car has an adjustable front center armrest? I've seen it on Compact/Mid SUVs, but I'm not recalling an "economy" car (really more like a non-luxury compact car) having that. Maybe I missed one (which is entirely possible).

Personally, I'd like to see auto climate control and a USB port on the sound system. Others in the same class offer these features.
    The Elantra for one... there may be others. Actually even the low-bucks Accent has a sliding center armrest available. Not something I must have, but it does make the armrest more usable.

I can live w/o auto climate control. USB is good though... I'm sure I'll use it at some point. I think most new compacts have aux inputs and USB inputs standard now.
  • I purchased an s Touring with sliding center armrest & sunglass holder for under $20k. Just sayin' :)

I thought the major differences between s Touring and I Touring were engine, transmission, and wheel size. I guess there are some interior differences too, though.
    The Touring Skyactiv I sat in didn't have either. It wasn't an s though. It was an automatic. And its sticker price was $20k. Just sayin'.
    Hmmm, a number of posts back one of our members who is a Mazda Sales Associate (I think) said the SkyActiv models on their floor all have sliding arm rests. Go figure.
    The 2012 Mazda3 brochures from the Mazda USA web site clearly indicate that only the s Grand Touring sedan and hatch have a sliding center console armrest. Go figure.
    edited November 2011
    Yup, that's exactly what I said as well; here's a link to the beginning of the discussion:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f2462a8/6#MSG6
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The Mazda3 i GT has a sliding arm rest and padded door arm rests
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    backy-

A test drive will confirm all that Mazda has added. You might be waiting for a 6-speed manual for a while. I just ordered my first few. They are not due here until the end of December.

The performance and real-world FE is what stands out.
    If they don't want to get grief, they might want to consider making an "s" trim with the SkyActiv...