Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Hard to say. People get really picky about colors and it wouldn't surprise me if three shades of gray might sell more cars than one gray and a green. Color names can play a big part too. Some people might looks at a charcoal and say, "That doesn't look like charcoal to ME" even though they might like the actual color.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The Dolphin Gray, Graphite and Liquid silver are all very different. The Graphite is the only real "gray" color. The others are silver and Dolphin Gray looks more like a sea foam.

Mazda has never done well with tans or golds or forest greens. Those colors are for Toyota and Subaru.

Indigo Lights is a new color as is the Dolphin Gray along with Sky Blue.

Buyers prefer white, silver, black and gray the most. The others are spot sellers. Always have been, always will be.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    I dunno, just doesn't seem right to not have a red available. I mean, the Graphite looks pretty decent at least, if I could force myself into ANOTHER grey car but... *shudder* sea foam? Foamy zoom zoom? Sorry but silver looks grey to me, just a light grey. Other than one beige car and my previous Velocity Red can of zoom-zoom, every car I've ever owned was grey...66% of them.

Kind of hard to tell without actual color chips (and yes I am waiting for a brochure) but on my screen that Dolphin gray looked about 98% grey and 2% green.

I like Indigo Lights, but the Graphite actually seems to hide/camouflage the grin a little better.

Still seems like a little bit of a blah color pallette, especially with the red still available on the S models. Still, if they aren't selling I guess I can't blame them. I just hope if they are phasing it out they replace it with another color with some pop...
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Unfortunately, every other manufacturer gets a pass on this, but Mazda gets blasted.

Every other manufacturer offers something other than white, silver, gray, or blue. Like... red.

For example, have you seen the Desert Bronze on the Elantra? I think that's a very sharp color. Oh... they offer red also. That looks good also IMO.

And GM (and others) offer a gorgeous medium red metallic on their cars, including the Cruze. Oh yes... Ford offers red also. Just about everyone offers red. Even a niche player like Subaru offers red. Heck, they offer TWO reds on the Impreza.

I didn't think Mazda was trying to cater to the masses but to people who like a little excitement in their driving. How about catering to those who like a little excitement in the color of their cars?
    Not to mention the fact that we expect better of Mazda than we do GM, Hyundai, Ford, and Subaru. :)
    Yes... I used to. Looks like Mazda has done some needed catching-up with the Skyactiv. Just need to catch up in the Paint dept.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Yes... I used to. Looks like Mazda has done some needed catching-up with the Skyactiv. Just need to catch up in the Paint dept."

To that I'd add that they need to expand how one can configure a car with the SkyActive engine, doubly so if you want to drive that slick new manual gearbox they spent so much money developing. Think about it, there is one 4-Door and one 5-Door trim which offers the SkyActive engine and manual transmission combination; pretty grim.
    At least they OFFER a manual!

Fortunately I don't need/want many gizmos on a car, so the trims with stick will be sufficient. Just need to find one of the boring colors I could live with...
    I on the other hand absolutely need gadgets and gizmos. I spend at least 2 hours a day in my car and I need to enjoy it. Some of that time is while stuck in traffic. Stuff like Sirius/XM, auto climate control, and a USB port or other way to play my MP3s on the sound system are pretty important.
  • It's true. I don't care if it's yet another gray. I think many people who see a 3 in that color in person will end up driving one home.

Ironically, I probably could have talked my dealer into locating a red car when I bought my new s 5door.

But my problem is that sometimes I drive the s like it's an s. :p

No red for me. Nope, I need camouflage. Liquid silver it is.
    You mean to say you can't get a Skyactiv stick with a USB port or XM radio? Well that does suck! I don't have either right now but would like at least a USB port on my next car.

OTOH I know how to turn a temperature knob so I don't need auto climate control. Six months of the year, it's on full Heat anyway. ;)
    Not sure about satellite radio but I don't see mention of a USB port anywhere, just a dealer-addon iPod interface. Which I suppose I could use...provided it comes with an iPod.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    I love the new colors on the Mazda3. Some look quite subtle and amazing.

I think theoretically you can get a skyactiv with xm and a port for your ipod. They've just started production, and so these things are still in the pipeline, perhaps.

Here's my guess: Consumer Reports will probably rate the Skyactiv Mazda3 as their number 1 recommended small car. That combined with the fall of the Civic off of their recommended list entirely might bring about a spike in sales.

The Mazda3 Skyactiv 6MT is really an impressive machine from all I've read. I'd like to drive one...

Have any manuals actually been spotted on the lots. Looks like my local dealer only has autos with the skyactiv models...
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Posts: 36
    edited October 2011
    Nothing But autos here also. Mostly 4 doors.
    I wonder what the mix is between hatch and sedan.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    My local dealer has 5 SkyActive Sedans, 4 automatic, 1 manual. They have no SkyActiv 5-Door models.
    That's so sad. I'd never buy something with a trunk again. But it seems like we only like hatches if they come with big wheels on a tall, jacked up chassis.
  • According to a search of 2012 Mazda3 on a different website there are 2382 2012 Mazda3 I touring or grand touring. the breakdown is 1895 sedan and 487 5 door. So about 4 to 1 sedan to 5 door. it also shows only 50 with manual transmission.
    interesting. Which website is that? Any skyactiv manuals in Louisville?
    edited October 2011
    Out of all small cars. Ford's Fiesta is #1, according to them...

The 2012 Mazda3 ranks 2 out of 35 Affordable Small Cars.

Pretty good!

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Mazda_Mazda3/

The only weak areas they saw were the styling (but I like the styling, so...) and the rear seat room. Rear seat room could be better, but I doubt the Fiesta has much more...

Wish they'd put the Skyactiv engine in the Mazda5! I own a 2010 Mazda5. The 2012 model is rated 21/28 for mpg. Probably with a Skyactiv it would get to c. 25/35...