Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fooshoofooshoo Posts: 4
    Is the Mazda3 air conditioner a bit weak? Today is the first day I ran my A/C and it took a long time to cool the cabin down in 88 degree temps. I am kind of hoping something is wrong with it because the A/C performance was not very good.

When I get time I'll bring it to the dealer to get it checked out.
  • chickraechickrae Posts: 44
    I ran mine today and it was 77 degrees outside. It seemed to cool off well. It wasn't as hot as your area but it seemed to blow out very cold air. Maybe have it checked out. Are you driving a new mazda?
  • fooshoofooshoo Posts: 4
    Ya, 2012 Mazda 3.

My AC and defroster also create a bit of a grind noise the first time it is turned on for the day. Maybe I have a bum AC compressor or something.

Guess I'll have it looked at when I get the time.
    Good idea to check it out. I haven't noticed any unusual noises in mine. What I do notice is how quiet it is inside. So quiet I am usually going faster than I should be going. Going from having a noisy convertible mustang that you have to talk loud (even with the top up), to having something this quiet has been great!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    40 MPG specifically, or "40-MPG class" which would be about 38-42 MPG?
  • eljaycanuckeljaycanuck Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    So, I've had my car for over a month now and I've really been enjoying it. The highlights are the engine, which revvs really nicely, and the 6-sp. manual's clutch+shifter, which are super sweet! Together, they make this car a blast to drive! :-)

The downside, as I'm finding now with the warmer weather - is the A/C. With the fan on high, I get fairly cool - almost cold - air blowing, but on a day that's only 25°C outside, I still find myself feeling warm in the car! It's almost as though the condenser's not working properly at removing moisture from inside the cabin.

Anyone else have a similar issue? If 'yes', has your dealership been responsive, or have they brushed it off with a "that's how it's supposed to work" answer?

For the record: My previous car - a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L had ice-cold air. The cabin would cool down quickly and the car would stay comfortable even with the fan turned down. There's definitely something not 100% right with the A/C in the Mazda3.

Aside from that, though, great car! :-)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Is your interior black or beige?

The A/C in my Miata is good, but it has a much smaller cabin to deal with.
  • eljaycanuckeljaycanuck Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    The interior's black, with black cloth seats.

The much-larger cabin of my Accord was also black (w/ black leather seats), but the A/C was awesome. :shades:
  • narillannarillan Posts: 1
    I got my 2012 Mazda 3i Touring with Skyactiv the last week of March. I've been loving the car. It's pulling great mileage and the a/c is awesome. It's been 90 degrees in Texas lately and the a/c is keeping up pretty well. I've had no complaints at all against the a/c. It drives wonderfully. My previous car was a 2000 Malibu so yeah. It doesn't even compare to this car. The Mazda is such a fun car to drive.

And I think it's pulling about 35mpg, roughly. I'm only three thousand miles on it so far, so I'm sure it'll get better as the engine breaks in more. (Or I drive better :>)

Though I was curious. I have what looks like the cutout for the low washer fluid indicator on the dashboard, but it doesn't light up when I start the engine with all the other warning lights do for that quick few seconds. And it didn't warn when I ran completely out of washer fluid. Is this normal for a Mazda? This is my first one.
    I have also noticed the a/c is not that strong. Putting it on the highest level still does not blow out a lot of cold air. I also have black interior. I have always owned light interior cars, so I am just wondering if its the darker interior. We haven't had too many hot days, only 88, so I am wondering what it will be like in the 100 degree weather.
    So I got some price quotes, thought about replacing the Miata with something a little more practical and with better range, and I got some great prices from a local dealer.

Then I told the kids my possible plan and it was MUTINY! Funny! They both flipped out, no way do they want me to sell the convertible. It was hilarious.

Wife liked the idea. I was on the fence, but the kids may sway me to keep the MX-5.

With the loyalty rebate I was quoted $17.6k for an i Touring SkyActive. :surprise:

Are people doing any better? Just curious.
  • kmh3kmh3 Posts: 35
    Haven't had mine long enough to know if the AC is weak or not, but smaller AC's are one way to increase mpg. My 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid had a weak AC, it took 20 min to get the car comfortably cool on a hot day.

We are supposed to have some 90 degree days this weekend so maybe I'll find out. Maybe I'll post after some experience this summer.
    Mine was 18.100, but I had xm radio in it which is $432.00. So that price sounds about right. This was before tax and license.
    This was funny...so I took my sister to test drive a CX5, which she liked. I thought it was a bit slow. Floor it you get a lot of noise but little acceleration.

Then I asked if I could sample the engine in a lighter car, i.e. the Mazda3 SkyActiv.

So the dealer pulls one up and we go out for a drive. Feels much quicker, I was impressed. Didn't like the hard seats, though, hard just like my Miata's seats.

We get back, and I peek at the Monroney, and it's a 2.5! DOH! C'mon, the guy doesn't know the product he sells? No wonder it felt quick, I had asked for a 2 liter.

It was near closing time and we were shopping for my sister, so after all that I still haven't driven a SkyActiv 3.
    You asked to drive a skyactiv mazda 3 and he takes you on a test drive in something else? You need to drive one....you will like it. My favorite part of driving this car is the precise steering!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,892
    He said he drove the 3, it was the 2.5L S model and not the skyactiv engine. The steering is the same.
    The steering was quite good, though I wonder if the SkyActiv ones have lesser tires (low rolling resistance)?

For me the seats and overall comfort didn't meet my expectations, though again the SkyActiv has different seats.

Gotta go back when I have more time. We were really shopping for my sister.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,892
    though again the SkyActiv has different seats.

Didn't know that. How are they different?