Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    I was thinking AWD, but I think I might actually deal with FWD. If it's snowing that bad I'll generally work from home, and AWD might inspire me to risk my neck when I shouldn't. I could use the ground clearance and the height though. Get tired of scraping on curbs when I park. ">
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Shipo-

In the end, the Mazda3 Skyactiv will not flop, or be an epic fail because it does not offer dual-climate. I'm sure they will sell just fine, as they always have, even with sub-par fuel economy. You might not buy one, but over 100,000 - 120,000 per year will, which is what Mazda is looking for.

We are looking at this from two different perspectives. I am basing my argument on logic and you are basing it off of personal opinion and preference. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just a different type of argument, that's all. Let's just agree to disagree.
    The car would be for my wife, and since we sold her Subaru a few years back, she has been on my case about another AWD car. She has been driving my 2005 Mazda6 5-speed and just prefers an automatic and AWD. Plus, she drives around my kids, so the added safety of AWD is worth it, IMO.

You know what they say...happy wife, happy life!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    BTW, according to Chevy's website, the Cruze does not offer dual-cliamte. Only single climate."

Single climate control is good enough for me; the only reason I referenced "Dual-Zone" is because that's a feature Mazda already has in their parts bin and it would be cheaper for them to offer that on SkyActiv models than to develop an entirely new HVAC interface.
    Knew there was a reason i was still single. When I buy a car, it's for ME :shades:
    "In the end, the Mazda3 Skyactiv will not flop, or be an epic fail because it does not offer dual-climate. I'm sure they will sell just fine, as they always have, even with sub-par fuel economy. You might not buy one, but over 100,000 - 120,000 per year will, which is what Mazda is looking for."

My "logic" says that since they already have all of the parts currently in production to build the car the way many-many of us seem to want it, they could increase the numbers quoted by another twenty or thirty percent if they would just lose the bone-headed mutually exclusive option requirement they have in place.
    My "logic" says that since they already have all of the parts currently in production to build the car the way many-many of us seem to want it, they could increase the numbers quoted by another twenty or thirty percent if they would just lose the bone-headed mutually exclusive option requirement they have in place.

20-30% increase? Can't use logic without any factual premises my friend. That's an opinion. If it were a fact, Mazda would have included it. Don't you tihnk?
    "Don't you tihnk?"

No, I don't tihnk, in fact, I don't think either. Too many companies rely in flawed marketing data to determine product mixes, and my bet is that Mazda is doing the same here.

Example: Both Chevy and Ford were caught flat footed by how many of their customers wanted manual transmissions in the Cruze and Focus. Chevy has already changed their mix so that one can now buy a non-ECO Cruze with a manual transmissio and the 1.4 liter turbo. The Ford rep we're working with for my wife's next car told us Ford was also reevaluating their mix of manual transmission offerings for the Focus (currently only available in the "S" and "SE" models) because of the surprising demand for a 6-Speed manual for the Titanium model.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Not surprised about the head in the sand mentality from a car company employee. No wonder they make such silly decisions about options availability. Mazda is not alone here they all seem to do it. Try getting a well optioned car without a sunroof. You listening Honda.

Here is how the logic typically works. Only cheapskates want an MT so lets only offer it on the cheaper cars. As a result sales suffer because people that want a stick may not be able to get the features they want, the dealers order fewer sticks because they are less profitable low end models etc. For these reasons sales are not great. Then to cap it all off the manufacturer drops the stick altogether because of poor sales. - gee who couda seen that coming?

It is no coincidence that cars with high take rates on the stick are also cars that offer a stick on every model - mini etc.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,675
    edited November 2011
    wow.

My random 2 cents.

Mazda has been working on the whole suite of Skyactiv technologies for about 6 or 7 years.

The Mazda3 is the first time it's actually been on the market. They are phasing it in. To start with options are somewhat limited, perhaps to simplify the manufacturing process. I agree with others that this was not a good idea. I think there is a significant group of early adopters who will pay extra for the latest tech and who want their car loaded to the hilt.

I'm actually one of those. I special ordered a 2008 Honda Accord EXL Navi with the 5 speed manual in just the color I wanted. I've had the car for 4 years and completely love it. It's exactly what I want. But I guess there aren't enough like me, because Honda has discontinued manuals in the top trims of the Accord. What was possible for the first two years in this Accord is no longer possible now.

Could be wrong, but I think Mazda is going the other direction, and I applaud them. The first year of Skyactiv, things are somewhat limited. That's too bad, but my guess is that when we get to 2013 Mazda will have a larger range of options for the 3 with the Skyactiv engine.

And look what we get now.

A safe and functional and sporty sedan or hatch that gets up to 40 mpg. That's pretty impressive.

Popular Mechanics seems to have already rated the Mazda3 with Skyactiv as their top small sedan.

I think Consumer Reports might do the same. If they end up rating the Mazda3 as number 1 in small cars that could be worth a significant number of sales.

I say three cheers for Mazda. And they should have more options available with Skyactiv--*yes*, they should do that and probably will by 2013. But it is a shame and a pity that they are losing some sales now because of this.

But what we've got now may be the equal to the best-in-class in this price range in so many areas--handling, steering, braking, smoothness of manual trans, economy, etc., that Mazda deserves applause and sales.

For a very small company in the terms of the global auto biz they are putting their money in the right place and building fine cars.
    Here's the problem: I can't put up with this Hyundai for another year. So either I'm buying a Mazda3 sometime in the next 6 months, or I'm buying a Mazda CX-5 sometime in the next 6 months....or I buy something else. I'm not waiting for them to decide that it is now time to offer climate control. And considering how much time I spend in my car every day, that's now an important feature for me. As is the entertainment system (read: USB port, though I bet a Mazda dealer would give me a cheap iPod to use with their iPod interface to make the sale).
    It's a Complete Package
    Although the drivetrains are the main story on the 2012 Mazda 3, driving this car on back roads reminds us why it remains a favorite of ours in the compact car class.

Even the i Touring trim, with workaday P205/55R16 Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires, has exceptional grip and balance through corners. Power steering assist remains hydraulic (albeit with an electric motor driving the pump) and the steering feel is beyond what any other automaker has achieved in this price range. Even with only 155 hp, the Mazda 3 is a purer sport compact than some other cars with 50-100 hp more.

The 2012 Mazda 3 is also an excellent value. Our manual-shift i Touring sedan has essentials, including a telescoping steering wheel, Bluetooth and an auxiliary input (a proprietary iPod cable remains a dealer accessory), and costs just $19,245 — right in line with a comparably equipped Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Honda Civic or Hyundai Elantra. For the hatchback, it runs $19,745, which is $1,000 less than the cheapest 2011 Mazda 3 five-door (which only came with the 2.5-liter). And if you want the automatic, it's $850 more.

Although the 2.0-liter Skyactiv-G will be the volume engine on the 2012 Mazda 3, the automaker isn't expecting an overall increase in Mazda 3 sales, which usually hover around 100,000 units per year.

This is too bad, because the fuel mileage is for real with the new drivetrains, and unlike most other approaches to maximizing mpg, they don't put a damper on the fun. Instead, it's quite the opposite. The Mazda 3 has never been better.
    I liked this Edmunds article. I am waiting for a head-to-head comparo with the other compacts. I'm pretty confident Mazda will excel in many categories. They did come in 3rd out of 8 in a comparo done over the summer by Motor Trend, and that was with the old 2.0L and old 5-speed AT.

This new Skyactiv technology is for real. I've been privledged with experencing and being educated on this technology for quite sometime now. It's not just a marketing ploy.
    I think either car would be awesome. i agree with you that they should have climate control on the 3. The CX-5 should definitely have it. And it's the complete Skyactiv package. It should get at least 35 mpg on the hwy. Why don't you wait 6 months.

I've lost track, what model of Hyundai do you have, and how long have you had it? Why is it you can't stand it?
    I agree. The Skyactiv stuff is for real.

If MT rated the Mazda3 third with old engine and transmission, imagine what it'll do with the new stuff. I'm thinking maybe number one? Hard to say. If they do get number one I hope Mazda starts advertising the heck out of these accolades in the automotive press.

I'm hoping they can start finally growing in the US. Sales for Mazda have been ok for the last 25 years, but in spite of a lot of ups and downs they are more or less where they were a quarter of a century ago...
  • speaking of advertising the heck out of...

Mazda has really been hitting the airwaves with the "jailbreak ad." It's starting to get old. I've probably seen it 50 times now (which is saying something, because half the time I do watch TV, it's HBO or SHO). I hope they saved some of the ad budget for a second spot...because as good as the first one was, it's getting stale.
    2009 Elantra Touring. Underpowered, and just feels bigger than it is, but without the associated comfort of a bigger car. And I hate the tranny: it's generally either in 4th gear for cruising or 2nd gear to accelerate. 1st and 3rd are pretty much useless, passing always kicks all the way down to 2nd.

Also has a stiff suspension but without the associated good handling. Rottenly numb steering. And stability control but no traction control, which can be interesting on a slippery hill. On the upside it does have a USB port, lots of legroom in the back seat, and a decent amount of cargo room. And it has been reliable. Just not satisfying.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Interesting. Mazda made a stick i Touring Skyactiv available for Edmunds' testing. But how many of those are available to the general public? If Mazda thought that automatics would be a lot more popular, wouldn't they have sent Edmunds an automatic? :confuse:

As for price, the article is a little off on that... pretty close on the Cruze, maybe on the Focus. But about $600 more than a stick Civic LX and $400 more than a better equipped Elantra, which includes AT and alloys (a stick w/o Bluetooth is $2000 less).

So $19k for a car like the i Touring stick isn't bad... but, does it matter if they don't exist in the real world of car buying?
    That's the station wagon, right? I bet you would have liked a Mazda5. Heck, you probably still would except for the lack of Skyactiv.

Climate control (single) is standard on the Mazda5. Nice steering. Nice handling. Cargo room is bigger than the E Touring.

And big discounts are available on the Mazda5.

But maybe you're ready to move away from a wagon?
    They are making some of these manuals, right? Or are they? They are still gearing up production, and maybe they'll become more common? Still, there don't seem to be any at all near where I live...

I think a Mazda3 skyactiv beats a Civic in a number of important ways--6 speed to 5, higher mpg, better steering, better handling, non intrusive struts on the trunk, etc.