Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    It looks like it will be a banner year for Mazda. Sales of many of its models (including the Mazda3) have dramatically increased. The SkyActiv models are being well received. Consumer Reports has raised its assessment of the brand as second best (Subaru being first). Kudos to the Mazda team!
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Yes, but most people will still be buying Corolla etc.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Which people would those be, the ones that want to drive an outdated wannabe-Buick with a 4 speed tranny and some of the worst fuel economy in the segment?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    most people will still be buying Corolla etc.

Traditionally the top compact car sold across Canada has been the Honda Civic. Recently, that has changed and the Mazda3 has become a contender, especially in Quebec. The new Elantra has also raised its profile recently. The Corolla is a good reliable car but it does not rank as the top compact.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    edited April 2012
    some of the worst fuel economy in the segment?

Actually, check the October 2011 (I think) Consumer Reports. The real world mpg rankings show the Corolla's mpg is only beat by the Civic Sedan Hybrid and the VW Jetta TRD. Third best in it's class, and look what beat it. Not bad at all, I'd say.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited April 2012
    Some people just like to bash Toyota in general but also seem to like to bash the people that buy them. I guess it makes them feel superior or something. Why should anyone care who buys them as long as they like them? Are they somehow subhuman. I just don't understand it.

I wouldn't want one because the Corolla is in desperate need of updating in style, tech and drivetrain to better match the competition. But, like I said, it's a perrenial best seller for the person that just wants reasonable cost transportaion and doesn't care whether they can carve corners with it. Corolla is a good, basic easy driving car that has been ultra reliable and gets at or near the top of all compacts in MPG for the past twenty years or more.

It's also kind of funny mentioning poor MPG in the Mazda3 forum as the 3 has always had subpar MPG numbers in comparison to it's peers until the Skyactiv system.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, if you look at the latest CR, you'll see that the Mazda3i has the same overall fuel economy--32 mpg--as the Corolla, in CR's tests. And that's with 155 hp vs. the Corolla's 132.

Plus the Mazda3 has the Corolla beat soundly in SMILES per gallon. :)
    And I believe the Corolla is EPA rated quite a bit lower than the new Mazda3. Makes one wonder what the Corolla would get if it had a very light 6spd auto like the Mazda does. mcdawgg was simply replying to a comment about the Corolla getting really poor MPG, which it obviously doesn't.
    mcdawgg was simply replying to a comment about the Corolla getting really poor MPG, which it obviously doesn't.

Yes it does, particularly when you look at it in comparison to horsepower compared to the competition. Yeah, it might be #3 or #4 in the segment, but with HP in the 130s one could reasonably expect better than getting ALMOST as good MPGs as machines with 148, 155, or 160 HP. And yet it does not, because, as someone pointed out, it's an outdated design composed of outdated technology. On top of being boring as all get-out.
    Makes one wonder what the Corolla would get if it had a very light 6spd auto like the Mazda does.

And someday maybe Toyota will see fit to let us find out. While they are at it, maybe they'll make the Corolla's interior not look and feel so cheap, add something resembling steering feel, and drop in a few more ponies.
    No, it does not get poor mpg. It does have an outdated powertrain but it does pretty darn good with what it's got. How about the Civic. Doesn't it have about the same HP as the Corolla? Gee, what do you shave off 0-60 with that extra HP....a second possibly. Whoopee, let's go to the track. Getting 32 combined and 39 hwy is pretty good and it does it with a 4 spd tranny. Real world test show that it gets pretty much the same MPG as the new Mazda, Elantra, Focus and Cruze. However, if and when they put a modern 6sp or more tranny in it I just wonder what it could get. Oh, BTW, a lot of cars in this segment are boring but I agree that the Corolla is probably the most boring. It's way overdue for some real improvement.
    edited April 2012
    Getting 32 combined and 39 hwy is pretty good and it does it with a 4 spd tranny.

I can get very close to that in my ancient iron-block Elantra with a 4-speed tranny that was designed in the late '90s. As you say, whoopee. Getting that kind of mpg in a light car that is underpowered by today's standards for compact cars is no big deal. Time for Toyota to realize this is 2012, 4-speed automatics don't cut it anymore, and when automakers like Nissan are coming out with mid-sized cars with much more power that are rated 27 city and 38 highway, it's way past time for big changes in the Corolla. Also consider their long-time main competitor Honda has seen the light, realizes that "good enough" doesn't cut it any more in today's ultra-competitive car market, and will deliver a redesigned Civic later this year--about 18 months since the last redesign. Toyota should pay attention. They won't get by on low price, reputation for reliability, and lots of fleet sales forever.
    Real world test show that it gets pretty much the same MPG as the new Mazda, Elantra, Focus and Cruze.

Three of those 4 cars have significantly more horsepower than the Corolla. The fourth doesn't, but has significantly more torque. So no, it doesn't do pretty darn good. It's uncompetitive. It get ALMOST as good FE as the segment leaders, while also having less power. Unless you're grading on a curve the Corolla is bad (and we know Corollas can't handle curves :shades: ). It gets less energy out of the same amount of fuel as the competition does. Significantly less. And while this might change with the next re-design, that's today's reality.

Honda's redesigning the Civic. Quickly. They're very afraid of falling behind Mazda (bad), Ford (really bad), and Hyundai (oh-so-horribly bad). And rightly so. They used to be leaders and innovators, remember the CVCC engine? Toyota used to be a leader and innovator too. Used to be.
    edited April 2012
    Getting that kind of mpg in a light car that is underpowered by today's standards for compact cars is no big deal.

I didn't say it was a big deal, I just said it didn't get bad MPG and it's as good as the rest of the bunch. How it gets there is another question. Still, 32 combined mpg is not bad even with a car that's somewhat underpowered by 2012 standards. Heck, most of the subcompacts barely avg 32combined mpg. It's got about the same hp/torque as your Elantra and it weighs more so I'd say getting 32 combined is not bad. Should it be better based on the fact that it has less hp than many of the rest? Sure, but it's still not bad. Like I said earlier, it would be interesting just to see what a 6 speed tranny would do for the Corolla.

it's way past time for big changes in the Corolla.

Been saying that all along.
    Heck, most of the subcompacts barely avg 32combined mpg.

Funny... most of the subcompacts have more power than the Corolla, too. :)
    Corolla - 132
    Fit - 117
    Fiesta - 120
    Versa - 122
    Accent - 138
    Rio - 138
    Sonic - 138
    Yaris - 106
    XD - 128

No, actually most have less HP than the Corolla and weigh much less as well.
    You are absolutely right! The Corolla rules in fuel economy... except for the heavier, more powerful, more fun to drive Mazda3 (back on topic... yessss!).
    Just trying to be realistic and not biased.
    So am I. The Mazda3i is heavier, more powerful, has crisper handling (= more fun to drive), and has better fuel economy than the Corolla.

Just the facts. A biased view might say something about the Corolla being just fine because it gets 32 mpg or thereabouts. There's a lot more to a good car these days than getting 32 mpg. Toyota will realize that someday soon I believe. Mazda has, as have others.
    You seem to keep reminding me that the Mazda3 is more fun to drive. I'm not saying it's not a much more enticing car than the stodgy Corolla. You keep arguing how good a car it is and I'm not saying the Corolla is. I'm just saying that a compact car in this group that averages 32mpg is getting good mpg, not bad mpg. I'm not addressing the cars fun factor and haven't been.
    32 mpg was really good a few years ago for a compact car, even if it needed to have low power to do it. But not so much anymore. It's pretty common for the class these days. And will be more common once the new Sentra debuts, probably the new Forte and Dart also. What was once "good" is soon if not already the norm.

I don't think anyone who buys a Corolla is interested in addressing the car's fun factor. ;)
    I agree that nobody would ever buy a Corolla for the fun factor...even the mighty "S" model. :surprise:

It does have less hp and an old tranny and like I said before, it would be really interesting to see what it could get with a new 6speed. It may even get 34mpg avg which would probably make it tops in class(from a mpg standpoint) or right there with them. My whole point in this is that it is easy to find a lot wrong with the Corolla, but MPG is not one of them unless you consider 32mpg average to be bad when that is pretty much what the top cars in the class get as well.
  • chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2012
    The Mazda 3 with skyactiv is fun to drive. It really has more power than I thought. I just got mine. Was going to test drive the Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza and Hyundai Elantra. Stopped at the Mazda dealership first and didn't want to look any further. Love the smile. It smiled right at me and I drove the Graphite one home.
    Congratulations! Did you get the sedan or hatch? Which trim level? Manual or automatic? Let us know your impressions including fuel economy as you get more miles on it.
    I got the sedan. It's the touring and not the grand touring. I really didn't want the sunroof or the leather seats. It was satellite ready with the antenna already installed. I got the graphite color that has black interior. Automatic. I have only driven it 40 miles, so will post how the gas mileage is after I have driven a full tank.
    I went on my first hwy trip. I filled up when I got home and figured the mileage. 275.5 miles and used 7.5 gallons of gas. 36mpg would be the average. Most of the highway speed was 75, many parts 80 and very little 65. I think I would of got higher if I averaged 65 but I wanted to go the speed limit.

This car handles well........wow! The steering is so precise. Love the blue tooth capability and the satellite radio. I think I made a great choice.
    36 MPG without a break-in? That's excellent.

I do miss that sweet Mazda handling...
    How many miles till the break in period? 5,000? I have 500 on it now.

I like the adjustable steering wheel also. I didn't even realize it had that.
    Most cars have at least tilt steering these days, and satellite radio at least as an option. Mazda's starting to lose out on cabin design and feature content, but they're so far ahead in powertrains and handling that they can take a bit. Assuming they don't go bankrupt in the meantime: their finances are looking more precarious by the day.
    Most cars do, but since I haven't bought a car in 11 years, I am not up to speed on many things, especially the technology. I was so excited about the blue tooth capabilty and being able to make a phone call pushing a button from my steering wheel....and I know this is nothing new and many cars have it. So I guess the cabin design looks really good to me since I have been driving 19995 & 2001 vehicles before this.

I hope they don't go bankrupt.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fooshoofooshoo Member Posts: 4
    Is the Mazda3 air conditioner a bit weak? Today is the first day I ran my A/C and it took a long time to cool the cabin down in 88 degree temps. I am kind of hoping something is wrong with it because the A/C performance was not very good.

When I get time I'll bring it to the dealer to get it checked out.
    I ran mine today and it was 77 degrees outside. It seemed to cool off well. It wasn't as hot as your area but it seemed to blow out very cold air. Maybe have it checked out. Are you driving a new mazda?
  • fooshoofooshoo Member Posts: 4
    Ya, 2012 Mazda 3.

My AC and defroster also create a bit of a grind noise the first time it is turned on for the day. Maybe I have a bum AC compressor or something.

Guess I'll have it looked at when I get the time.
    Good idea to check it out. I haven't noticed any unusual noises in mine. What I do notice is how quiet it is inside. So quiet I am usually going faster than I should be going. Going from having a noisy convertible mustang that you have to talk loud (even with the top up), to having something this quiet has been great!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
    40 MPG specifically, or "40-MPG class" which would be about 38-42 MPG?
  • eljaycanuckeljaycanuck Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    So, I've had my car for over a month now and I've really been enjoying it. The highlights are the engine, which revvs really nicely, and the 6-sp. manual's clutch+shifter, which are super sweet! Together, they make this car a blast to drive! :-)

The downside, as I'm finding now with the warmer weather - is the A/C. With the fan on high, I get fairly cool - almost cold - air blowing, but on a day that's only 25°C outside, I still find myself feeling warm in the car! It's almost as though the condenser's not working properly at removing moisture from inside the cabin.

Anyone else have a similar issue? If 'yes', has your dealership been responsive, or have they brushed it off with a "that's how it's supposed to work" answer?

For the record: My previous car - a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L had ice-cold air. The cabin would cool down quickly and the car would stay comfortable even with the fan turned down. There's definitely something not 100% right with the A/C in the Mazda3.

Aside from that, though, great car! :-)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Is your interior black or beige?

The A/C in my Miata is good, but it has a much smaller cabin to deal with.
  • eljaycanuckeljaycanuck Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    The interior's black, with black cloth seats.

The much-larger cabin of my Accord was also black (w/ black leather seats), but the A/C was awesome. :shades:
  • narillannarillan Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2012 Mazda 3i Touring with Skyactiv the last week of March. I've been loving the car. It's pulling great mileage and the a/c is awesome. It's been 90 degrees in Texas lately and the a/c is keeping up pretty well. I've had no complaints at all against the a/c. It drives wonderfully. My previous car was a 2000 Malibu so yeah. It doesn't even compare to this car. The Mazda is such a fun car to drive.

And I think it's pulling about 35mpg, roughly. I'm only three thousand miles on it so far, so I'm sure it'll get better as the engine breaks in more. (Or I drive better :>)

Though I was curious. I have what looks like the cutout for the low washer fluid indicator on the dashboard, but it doesn't light up when I start the engine with all the other warning lights do for that quick few seconds. And it didn't warn when I ran completely out of washer fluid. Is this normal for a Mazda? This is my first one.
    I have also noticed the a/c is not that strong. Putting it on the highest level still does not blow out a lot of cold air. I also have black interior. I have always owned light interior cars, so I am just wondering if its the darker interior. We haven't had too many hot days, only 88, so I am wondering what it will be like in the 100 degree weather.
    So I got some price quotes, thought about replacing the Miata with something a little more practical and with better range, and I got some great prices from a local dealer.

Then I told the kids my possible plan and it was MUTINY! Funny! They both flipped out, no way do they want me to sell the convertible. It was hilarious.

Wife liked the idea. I was on the fence, but the kids may sway me to keep the MX-5.

With the loyalty rebate I was quoted $17.6k for an i Touring SkyActive. :surprise:

Are people doing any better? Just curious.
  • kmh3kmh3 Member Posts: 35
    Haven't had mine long enough to know if the AC is weak or not, but smaller AC's are one way to increase mpg. My 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid had a weak AC, it took 20 min to get the car comfortably cool on a hot day.

We are supposed to have some 90 degree days this weekend so maybe I'll find out. Maybe I'll post after some experience this summer.
    Mine was 18.100, but I had xm radio in it which is $432.00. So that price sounds about right. This was before tax and license.
    This was funny...so I took my sister to test drive a CX5, which she liked. I thought it was a bit slow. Floor it you get a lot of noise but little acceleration.

Then I asked if I could sample the engine in a lighter car, i.e. the Mazda3 SkyActiv.

So the dealer pulls one up and we go out for a drive. Feels much quicker, I was impressed. Didn't like the hard seats, though, hard just like my Miata's seats.

We get back, and I peek at the Monroney, and it's a 2.5! DOH! C'mon, the guy doesn't know the product he sells? No wonder it felt quick, I had asked for a 2 liter.

It was near closing time and we were shopping for my sister, so after all that I still haven't driven a SkyActiv 3.
    You asked to drive a skyactiv mazda 3 and he takes you on a test drive in something else? You need to drive one....you will like it. My favorite part of driving this car is the precise steering!
    He said he drove the 3, it was the 2.5L S model and not the skyactiv engine. The steering is the same.
    The steering was quite good, though I wonder if the SkyActiv ones have lesser tires (low rolling resistance)?

For me the seats and overall comfort didn't meet my expectations, though again the SkyActiv has different seats.

Gotta go back when I have more time. We were really shopping for my sister.
    though again the SkyActiv has different seats.

Didn't know that. How are they different?