Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• eden4eden4 Posts: 1
    I am working on a '99 300M with the exact same conditions. Replaced fuel pump, which helped the delayed start, but seemed to create the no start condition just as you describe. Have you found any solutions at this point?
  • I was just over to the 300/300C site and I found that they are having the same problems that the 300M's and have had. Cars pulling to the right, outside temp. indicator sticking, trans. problems and on and on. I have a 2000 300M I bought new and have had good luck with it so far. It now has 65,000 on it and everything is still working. The only problem it has had that I consider major (because of the repair cost) was the evaporator for the AC had to be replaced. That had to be done at an independent shop because the dealer never could find the problem, even when they put dye in the system.

I had been toying with the idea of replacing the car but have given up on that since it has been a good auto.
  • I have never heard of a 300M that pulled to the right. However, I have had personal experience with two that pulled to the left...
  • I just bought a 99 300M last week and am noticing that sometimes the horn will work Via the Steering wheel or remote when locking the doors and such and sometime it won't. Right now it doesn't work more than it works.

Is there a horn relay? for this or is it a short to the horn itsself? Anyone else experienced this? I thought the problem was contact in the steering wheel, but it's now not doing it when arming the door locks with the remote. I haven't set it to turn off the car horn chirp when arming the system either.

If anyone could guide me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • If you hold down the floor mix and both defrost at the same time it will go through a cycle and if there are any display error codes. hope this helps!
  • Hello, this is my first time posting and I decided to reply to yours because I too drive a 02 300M, a beauty, brought it with about 125 miles. First my engine light would stay on and even today it is still on. I have about 116k miles mostly highway. I have had the rotors repaired or replaced. This August in Ga I had the car serviced for about 2k, my AC was not working the two fan burned out, replaced wire on the fog light later replaced bulb. Had the timing belt replaced, AC charged, transmission cleaned. Drove the car to VA, the AC does work properly take it to the dealer and they tell me it was over charged, GA sent a refund. While the car is at the dealer in VA we (husband)them to check out the noise in the left front wheel. When you do a sharp or some time just a left turn there is a clicking noise. Okay, I am told that I need to replace the swag bar and bushlings. Then I need a front end alignment but not until I also replace the right swag bar and bushling. Okay. Big bucks. Drive the car the noise is still there. Take the car back get a company car for two days this is Nov now. I call thinking that they have fixed my car because I was told that it was the wheel bearings and I would only be charged half for the part and no labor. Well, the car was not fixed and something else was wrong with it, the suspensions need to be replace costing 700. I finally call the mananger over the manager and he drives the car and tell me to bring it back after the holidays and it will be fixed. I am telling him that I cannot have every part replaced at my expense because they do not know what is wrong with it. Oh, did I tell you this in between all of this, I was driving on the interstate doing about 70 or so had the car on cruise, felt a terrible jerk so I took the car out of cruise and drove about 8 more miles home and parked the car. No problem. About 4 hours later it was on the back of a tow truck
    because I went to start it about two hours later it started went to put it in drive and it slide through every gear. TRANSMISSION. Oh, yea I have replace 3 of the center pieces on the wheel at $20 each.
  • Please email me if that has solved your problem. I am experiencing a clicking whenever I make a left turn. I was told to replace my swag bars and bushings in September and now here it is Dec and they still have not guessed what is wrong. I was it was the wheel bearings after that it was the suspensions. I have talked to the manager over the manager and was told to bring it back after the holidays. I wonder if this is wearing my alignment out the one that was recommended after replacing the swag bars etc. I have 116k on my 02, brought it new and love it. Steel blue fully loaded, it is a show stopper.
  • Did you find out what the problem was? I am experiencing a clicking noise when making a left. I have had my swag bars, bushings replaced. Still the noise. A tech said it was the wheel bearings, so I told okay bring the car back and we will give you a car and you only have to pay half for the part and no labor cost, kept my car for two days, claims it is a supspension problem and they want another 700. I have spoken with the mananger over the manager and told him that I cannot afford to pay them for their guessing game. So, I am taking it back after the holidays. This has been going on since Sept. I drive a beautiful steel blue 02 300M, love the car. I have had the transmission replaced in between all of this.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    It sounds like your dealer is giving you the run around. If you're getting a clicking noise when turning, it seems like a CV (constant velocity) joint is going bad. It's a simple and not terribly expensive fix. I believe your dealer is just fleecing you for money.

BTW, its sway bar, not swag bar. And sway bars are front and rear, not right or left. Maybe he said the right end-link on the sway bar?

No offense intended at all, but you might want to have your husband to all the dealings with your service department because it doesn't seem like you're knowledgeable at all when it comes to cars. That puts you at a major disadvantage when dealing with a shady service department. Let's just hope your husband knows something about cars. There's lots of men out there that don't know squat about the workings of an automobile. :confuse: It's sad really. :sick:
  • My 2005 300M was doing the same thing. The dealership replaced the computer cluster and the problem went away. Chrysler gave the dealership a hard time, but they were successful in convencing the manufacturer of the problem.
  • I saw this item on the recall list, check with the dealership.
    The 300M's last production model year was 2004. What's a computer cluster?
  • Did you ever resolve the problem with your 300m? I am having the same exact problem you had with my 99M. Check engine light is on, turns off on slow turns and stops, and local mechanic cannot figure it out. Somebody Please help me out, please.
  • I have a 2002 300M, the speed indicator it's not working, and the fuel tank indicator works erratically, I replaced the input sensor of the trans and nothing happen, also the indicator on the roof display a wrong DTE miles with a full tank !!! please, any help will be apreciated.. Computer Problems?
    It could be Body Control Module (BCM) problems or it could be bad sending units for the speedometer and fuel guage. It wouldn't hurt to replace the BCM depending on how much it costs rather than chasing down the problem by replacing individual pieces.
  • Well, I had a A/C coil replacement, and the dash was dismounted, since that, all the problems began, did you think it mayabe a fault connector??? The Check Engine light are on, and the fault code indicates i/o sensors or also pin 45 in the dash connector. The fault codes are because the speed sensors are not working
    If the problems started after they had your dash apart, I would certainly start my investigation there. I would take it back to whomever did the A/C work and have them fix it. For free.
  • Thanks again for all the help in the last thread, I don't have any manual with my car (used one) and I would like to know how to program the car to autolock after 15mph for example.. and all the features that came with my 2002 300M, there is some website where I can find this? thanks again tayl0rd.. :D
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    Call: 800-890-4038
    -or-
    Visit: DC TechAuthority site:
    try here and select category owner's manual

2002 Owner's Manual $20.00
    On the 2002 300M, you can go through the MENU on the overhead console to setup the autolocking doors.
  • Sorry.. there is no Menu button.. it's only "US/M Reset", I guess mi console don't have the EVIC.. :cry:
    You have an '02, right? I thought all the '02 Ms had the same EVIC. :confuse: Guess it was just the Special and the Pro-Am editions.
  • Well no.. my panel had the US/M.. and that's all.. there is no Menu button.. :cry:
    Don't be too sad. ;) There is a procedure that will allow you to program your locks using a series of key twists. If I remember, I'll read it in my manual and post it for you.
  • Hello,
    I've had this really unusual problem where, as I drive, the radio and dashboard lights start going ON/OFF and, after a few seconds ABS & Batt indicators come on, and stay on until I re-start the car. Then (usually) everything is fine. This problem is intermittent and the Chrysler certified repair shop could never repeat the problem - until today.
    Now they are telling me that there is a short in some junction box and that the "cluster" needs to be replaced. This is a 3000$ job!!!
    Is this problem common (or expected?) on the 300M? How could I have prevented it? At 36,000 miles, am I still under warranty for this type of failure?
    Thanks for any inputs you may have.
    Marc
    Ahhh, yes. The infamous Light Show. Do a search in this forum for "light show" and you will get quite a few hits. I can't remember what the members did to fix their problem, but I'm pretty sure it was nowhere near a $3000 repair job! Good luck!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,730
    It's been a while, but I was able to "band-aid" my light show by simply adjusting the lighting rheostat. In my 5.5 years of ownership I probably had a baker's dozen light shows, this cured it each time.

If I remember correctly, and please folks confirm this, if it is severe the Body Control Module might be the culprit? Nowhere near $3k, maybe a couple hundred bucks or less I think...?

The '99M only had a 3/36 warranty, not sure about a 2000.

Still lurking...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    Luckily (I guess or DC fixed this weird bug) my 2004 has not shown this light show problem in 17,000 mi.
    I suspect that a 2000 Chrysler has only 3/36 warranty which is what my 2001 Jeep had before I bought a 5/70 extended warranty which just expired. The 2002-05's had 7/70 and I understand some, not all 2006 have a lesser warranty again.

I just drove by our dealer lot on the way to work yesterday and there about 10 new style 300s on the lot. They are either not selling or they were forced to buy RWD models which despite our mild winter in the upper midwest are not a good deal here; I suspect AWD models do better. I still see many 300Ms around town and at a recent oil change in the waiting room a sales rep was lamenting why 300s are not ALL standard as AWD models.
    Oh well, the 300M still is the looker (however for a macho car, I really like the new Dodge Charger, it just looks tough).
  • Hello,this is my 1st post on this forum. I have just read every post concerning my problems that are on here and it scares me to death. I bought my 2004 300M in May '04. Had 17,000 Miles on it. Up until about 2 weeks ago I had had NO problems with the car acting crazy. I had a couple of things done at the dealership like a purge selenoid, a hole in the washer bottle and a new gas cap.The check eng.light had come on but no reaction from the car. Now it is stopping on the HWY at speeds of 70 where I have to pull over and pray I don't get killed. It is shifting really badly and sputtering and won't get out of 2nd gear. I took it in to the shop where they charged me 95.00 for the diagnostic readings and nothing showed. So of course they did nothing and tonight the car wouldn't even start for about 10 minutes and when it did it sputtered like crazy. So in the morning it goes back. Any suggestions?? I am a single girl and this is making me very nervous. I'll get rid of it if it keeps up. Thanks for the great info!
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Trans staying in second gear is one of the trans sensors. a relatively inexpensive fix. see allpar.com. Make sure you take it to a Chrysler dealer that is 5 star.
This discussion has been closed.