Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• phases78phases78 Posts: 471
    i dont know, i never listen to the radio! ill get back with you on that one tomorrow!
  • Has anyone (else) experienced a "mysterious" no start problem w/the 300M or LHS?

Has anyone experienced the "engine stopping while driving problem"?

I have experienced both problems w/my 300M. I like the car, but I cannot accept "mysterious" problems. Any data, hints, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. The NHTSA website listed several customer complaints and 1 LHS TSB.
  • I have a 99 300M with 75,000 miles on it. It would not start one afternoon after I had just driven the car. I jumped started it to get it to the Dealership in Atlanta. On the way to the dealership the car quits on the interstate and I have to be towed. The dealership said it was the BATTERY. Right!!! It happens the next day!!! The dealership tows the car and said they can't find anything wrong with it. They said they can get it to start
  • Have a 99 M/ 50K, 33 mo old. Vertical crack, left side of passenger airbag. Local dealer has experienced this on 2 others. Went thru factory rep process. Arrogant rep stated "warranty over- no help". Sent registered letter to Chrysler CEO explaining the (obvious) manufacturing defect. No response. Now facing a $1500. repair. Guess which car I will not be buying with my next $30K.
  • well im sorry u got an M with problems.. i still wouldnt rule it out for a next car though, next time put one of those sun block things in your windshield. did u ever treat the leather with anything??
  • We have had similar problems. Hayes Chrysler in Lawrenceville, Ga. told us it was due to "out-of-round" Goodyear tires. Whatever!!!! After two (2) complete sets of tires over a year & a half period they change there mind and tell us we have a "bent" rims. After further review, the reason the rims are bent is due to the rims are made of Aluminum and any bump in the road "might" cause them to dent. (Experienced this three (3) times & the rims aren't cheap $1,000 ea). Well after an incident of being ran off the road which caused the following damage (breaking a rim, damaging the CV Axle, Bending the right front strut & damaging the Rack & pinion) we are under the opinion that the vibration in the front end was due to minor problems with the rack & pinion & was maginified after being run off the road. Other than this problem we LOVE our 300M.
  • We have a 2000 300M with 46,000 (highway) miles. There has been a front-end clunking noise for many months and miles. The dealer says that the front stabilizer bars need to be replaced on both sides. Has anyone had a similar problem? Also there is a rear-end noise that sounds like metal on metal. The dealer say that there is a "brake clip" missing! Any comments?
    When the car is first started there is a loud clattering noise that quickly goes away. The dealer says that this is normal for this car. Anyone experience this?
    The 300M is a great vehicle. We are concerned that the stabilizer bar replacement is not a "usual" wear item. We have never had to replace stabilizer bars on other vehicles that we have owned.
  • I'd love to know if anyone who has had the experience of the paint chipping on the hood has found a solution. I have had my hood repainted twice, and it looks as bad as ever. I'm not talking about a few chips...it looks like the hood is polka dotted!! There is definately something wrong. I have 33K miles on my 2000 300M, love the car, but I can't feel good about it due to the way it looks. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give.
  • ceikostceikost Posts: 30
    I have a 2000M but with 8700 miles and while I don't have the clunking noise at front end I do have the clattering on start up. My 5* also says it's normal.
  • scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    This all occurs before the car starts moving?
  • ceikostceikost Posts: 30
    Occurs only on the first start of the day and then only for 2 to 3 seconds, after that every thing is norm. It's a valve train lube issue.
  • mthommthom Posts: 1
    I do NOT have a 300M yet, but that is the reason I'm posting this question. After looking
    at the above post I'm beginning to wonder if I really want a 300M. How reliable is this car ?
    It's a great looking vehicle and I do not want a 4-dr sedan like everyone else has. Would
    anyone recommend buying a used 2000 model with low mileage ? If so, what should I look
    for ?
    Thanks for your assistance...
  • I have a 99 300m and it shifts very hard. Sometimes making a clunking sound. It was in for service and they said it was a software update. It does'nt seem much better to me. Is there a TSB for this? How do you hanldle TSB's. Just go to the dealer and tell them about it? Or what?
    ask those in the sedans msg board, most dont really check this one to often anymore, but yes, it is a reliable car. a couple have problems with the speed sensor but its very predictable when it'll happen if its going go, and when it does its an easy hour long fix at the dealer. if your under warrentee its no biggie...

check any msg board for any vehicle and youll see just as many 'glitches' with each car. youd be amazed. check out bmw's its a hoot
  • A list of a model's current TSBs can be found when using the Edmunds.com Maintenance Guide.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    I have a 98 Intrepid and the same problem. Welcome to the downside of "cab forward". Best advice:

1. Stay well back from big trucks you'd be surprised how much stuff the toss up off their tires even in nice weather.

2. Invest in a nose mask for the front end. That's what finally cut down on the chipping for me. But you have to have it on religiously and clean under it frequently to keep from putting fine scratches in the finish.

Ted
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    When I first got my 98 Intrepid it acted up the first night I brought it home. Started running rough, and finally died and wouldn't restart.

The dealer picked it up and the problem turned out to be that the harness connector between the engine and computer wasn't snapped together tight. It wasn't obvious visually, they squeezed the two halfs together and heard the snap of the latches engaging. I haven't had any problems since.

Ted
  • gsweitzer....is your dash cracked on the side of the passenger's air bag???
    thats happend to several ppl
  • To phases 28: Car is garaged and rarely left in the sun. The dash is not leather, but a plastic leather look alike. My local dealer has seen three of these. Considering how long it took Chrysler to respond to the mini van rear latch defect, I would not expect them to ever step up and take responsibility for this manufacturing defect. Too bad they are so willing to lose future customers of their high end product...

To Bamabell: Yes, the vertical dash crack is on the left side of the passenger side air bag
This discussion has been closed.