Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Car Match

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Funny that mileage pops up if price is no object.

Probably because it affects range. Who wants to have to stop for gas every 5 days?

Either give it a big tank, or at least decent mileage so you can drive a couple of weeks between fill-ups.

Time is valuable to those price-no-object buyers.
    Do they use consumer reviews? Editor reviews?

Perhaps the Koreans have good scores and that's what has been putting them on a lot of people's lists.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,596
    I don't know if I'd want that or an X6...at least with the latter, I would have an excuse to drive like a jerk :shades:

Most Euro highline cars have a large tank, to negate the mileage penalty. My car has a 21 gallon tank, which at 24-25mpg easy average on the open road, gives it a nice range for a V8 capable of very high speeds.
    I like that ... my van holds 20 or 21 gallons, depending upon what source you believe, and with 27+mpg on trips I can break 500 per tank if I feel risky.

See, Toyotas aren't always boring. :D
    If running the car on fumes is excitement, Toyota has it.

Just think of the ranges we could have on those tanks with diesel.
    Isn't VW advertising the Passat can go 700 miles on a tank? I wish...

I want a SkyActiv Miata just so I don't have to fill up every 240 miles.

I could change my driving habits and start hyper-miling, but then why own a Miata in the first place? ;)
    I've never hyper miled, probably never will. The E55 is the most efficient (highway driving anyway) car I have ever owned, that might say something.

A nice Bluetec E could work for me, as I get older and keep the current car for awhile, it might be the eventual replacement. Same huge cruising range, and some torque.
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    I already theorized that. :)

I think it picks a vertical segment-- sometimes very badly as others have pointed out-- and then bangs down the list of pre-existing Edmunds ratings.

Hyundai, Kia, BMW and Audi have very high ratings here. I'm not going to argue as to whether they should, but I think that's why they are high on the Car Match results.
  • ccappaccappa Posts: 29
    I could buy that, if the bar graph that characterize the Sonata's "qualities" (as judged by Edmunds) matched up better with the bar graph that characterized my preferred "qualities".

But they don't match up very well. At all. And the Edmunds judgment of the Sonata, as expressed in that "qualities" bar graph seems pretty accurate to me, from what I've heard and read.

Would you consider the Sonata a better choice than, say, an Infiniti G37, for someone who has up to 45K to spend, and who prioritizes "Sportiness", "Luxury", and "Performance"?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    edited December 2011
    No.

However, if you remove the badges, a lot of people might be fooled. :shades:

I haven't played with this for a while. Just went through and picked two people and lots of gear. When the SUV and truck option came up, I zapped those and picked hatchbacks, minivans and wagons. I said price didn't matter. So My Car Match said I preferred MPG, Performance, then Technology. I guess performance got in there since I crossed off SUVs and trucks?

When choices came up I went for mpg. If the mpg was similar, I went for the better warranty.

First choice was a Kia Soul. Volvo V50 and XC90 were next (I have a long grudge about Volvos, so I'd probably have to skip 'em).

Haven't driven one, but did consider the Soul the last time we went tire kicking. Minivans were 4 or 5 points below, and the Prius was in the 86th percentile. The xD wasn't on the map, but the Elantra Touring was (but we liked the last generation better than the current one).

So, it got our interests in there and offered up some that weren't on the radar. Like the GTI, which keeps nagging at my subconscious. Oh, another Outback was in the low 80s.

Too many choices if 80% or better is good enough for you.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If someone can't differentiate a badgeless FWD 4 banger Sonata from a badgeless RWD/AWD 6cyl G37, they need to be stuck in a Yaris :shades:
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Plugged in my preferences, and the #1 recommendation was .... wait for it ....

Honda CR-Z!

(yeah, I thought the same thing, too)

#2 was the Mitsu Lancer Sportback and #3 was the Mazda Speed3.

Of course, I put in a price cap of $25K, so I suppose I ought not be too surprised.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,155
    ...and it recommended the Jaguar XF as my number one suggestion followed by a BMW 5-Series and an Infiniti G37. :confuse: The Cadillac DTS was at number 5! :surprise:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    OK... so #1 is a 2-seat hybrid and #3 is a gas-guzzling sportwagon. Yeah, makes perfect sense. :confuse:

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

14 mpg on premium? I hope you have a gas card with rebates.

Or maybe you don't drive as many miles as I do. We road trip a lot, so my 2 cars probably do 16-18k miles/year. I'm on a first name basis with every gas station in MD.

I'd love diesel range, but diesel cost is KILLER here in MD, $4.20 vs. $3.44 at the same station. :sick:
    I already theorized that

You did but I was sort of asking the hosts if that's indeed one of the inputs for their model.
    Sorry, don't know the details of the algorithm. I do know it's not ad driven.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Straight up bribe-driven, then?

That's a joke. :P
    I don't do a huge mileage. I live close to work and can actually walk to many amenities. And I do have the Costco Amex too.

Around here diesel seems to pace the price of premium gas. For something like an E class which needs it, that makes the price a non-issue.
    If I drove your car at my mileage pace, the Costco gas rebate alone would equal the GDP of a small country. :D
    Hey look, a new Soul just arrived at the front door with a big bow on it.

Cool. Wonder who this Blagojevich marketing guy is that signed the thank you card? :shades:

If you drive on the highway, it's fine - 25mpg in interstate crusing, beats a lot of more boring and of course slower cars.

If this "tool" is actually based on Edmunds customer ratings, I can't see how it would suggest an Alpina B7, those are pretty rare, just above flying pigs but below hens teeth :shades:
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    My father-in-law drives a 1992 500E with a rather famous lineage. It struggles to best 18mpg on the highway and 15 in town, but you couldn't pry it away from him.
    Blagojevich is in jail, at least. :lemon:
    I use the Miata in the city, the van for trips and getting the car pools around.

Funny thing is the giant 8 seater with the 3.5l V6 averages more than the tiny 2 liter two seat roadster.

I take full irresponsibility for my driving. :shades:
    I think there's a lot at play - maybe gear ratios etc. My old C43 AMG got worse mileage on the highway than the E55 and barely better in town - with smaller displacement, less weight, and less power. My old W126 S-class, an I6 not much older than that 500E, got much less mpg on the highway and it had just over half the hp of the E55.
    How often does the van see redline? :shades:
  • kathyc2kathyc2 Posts: 159
    entertaining but very little value. I think it would be better if it asked for 1-10 ratings about how important the various items (drive type, luxury, technology, MPG and cost) are.

Interesting that it comes up my highest criteria is MPG, when I didn't even look at the ratings when choosing vehicles. It also seems that it gives high importance to the vehicles at the top of the price specified.

That said, it was nice that the 5 I just bought always came at the top or near top, along with various Infiniti, Volvo, Audi and MB models.
  • Hi

Sorry I'm late arriving in this conversation. I'm the product manager behind the My Car Match tool on Edmunds. I thought I'd spell out the things that drive the recommendations:

1. Objective data from Edmunds. Things like MPG, 0-60 time, sales volume, head room, leg room, etc.

2. Subjective data from consumers. We have an ongoing online survey that measures what people think about cars in terms of luxury, sportiness, and appearance.

3. Magic...OK, that's an exaggeration, but we have some pretty smart people who have created an algorithm that takes all that data, combines it with the choices you make as you pick between 3 vehicles, and then puts every car in order according to our best prediction of your preferences.

So sorry, no bribes or advertising here. But I will give you a few possible reasons you see things that don't make sense:

A. When you choose which body types (sedan, hatchback, etc.) that completely limits you to those types. So if you choose SUVs and Trucks only, MCM will look at the world as though only SUVs and Trucks exist. That's why you might see 19 MPG have a lot of stars next to it, because for a Truck, that's not bad. Also, if you choose all the body types or a weird combination like convertibles and trucks, MCM will have a harder time predicting your preferences.

B. The MCM nearly ignores brand (make) preferences. You'll notice that when you're choosing between 3 cars, we don't show the brand. It's because we'd have to ask you a lot more of those questions to figure out which brands you prefer and in what order. So instead we put a brand filter on the results page. If you care a lot about certain brands, you can filter for them there, but your list will still be in the order of your predicted preferences. We're working on some back-end tweaking that will take brand more into account. And no, it doesn't involve bribes or advertising.

C. This tool was not designed to tell you your one perfect car. It's more for people who are just starting their search and want a list of 10 or 15 cars to start from. I've never met anyone who honestly took the MCM and they didn't at least see a couple of cars they'd consider in their top 10 results.

D. We're still working on it... I know that's a lame excuse, but we don't have unlimited resources and you'll note that the MCM is one of very few pages that has no advertising at all. So it's somewhat of a labor of love. I hope we'll be able to expand it and implement some of the great suggestions I've seen on these and other forums. Number one on that list is to let you tweak your preferences once we've made our prediction. But those things take time and money and since I hope I've convinced you we're not taking bribes, I hope everyone will be patient.

Wow, this got a little windy. If anyone made it this far, thanks for reading. I'm also happy to answer other specific questions about the tool. So fire away.

Rob
    I was just kidding about the bribes part.

You're sure, right?

KIDDING! :D

Who filled out the surveys? Existing Edmunds members, visitors, or a random sample? Just curious, really.
This discussion has been closed.