Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Were Old Cars more Fun Than Modern Ones?

123457»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Those Pintos were MUCH better cars than the Vegas were.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,184
    Wow! Cool wagon. I could see Jock Ewing driving around his ranch in that.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,785
    Or how about a nice Nomad?

To be honest, the wagon versions of both the Vega and Pinto aren't bad looking in my eyes. Vega is more stylish yet probably less durable - but both are nicer looking than the other variants.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Talk about taking a proud name like Nomad and dunking it in the sewer!

A buddy had a 72 Vega hatchback and when the 4 cyl engine blew he stuck in a built 327 with a 350 THM. It was a 365 HP 327 and let me tell you, it was scary fast!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,785
    When I was in 6th grade or so, late 80s, neighbors had a later teens son who built a big engined Vega. I don't remember what was in it, but it was extremely loud and would light up the tires without hesitation. I also remember he had a Starsky and Hutch style Torino that he took the powertrain from - I don't know where that went, but I remember he sold the car for $100 without that.

Going into old cars being more memorable, I also remember what the parents drove - the dad had a dark blue truck like Andre's red one, that he kept immaculate, and the mom had a Monte Carlo in the same shade of blue.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    I think the Pinto wagon was a practical and decent car for its day. I agree with finail that it was better than the other variants.

As for the Vega, well, it just can't be defended, even though it handled well and looked good.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,357
    Your father's car must've looked similar to this one

THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT!! Except, as noted, for the wheel covers. I still don't know why he chose that color scheme, but different strokes I guess.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,205
    So 283 with Poweglide just wasn't enough, eh?
  • I agree. I bought a 74 Vega wagon brand new. It had rust issues the day it was delivered. The car had the poorest excuse for brakes I've ever experienced. Driven at sustained high speeds, it would consume a quart of oil about every 40 miles. As I remember, the Pintos ot this vintage had soft camshaft problems, but, were OK other than that.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • I desperately need help from someone that can give me advice on what to do with my 2006 GMC Envoy Denali. I have not had any trouble with this vehicle until the last year. I was one of the first i guess to have a problem with the fuel level sensor in the gas tank and had to pay full price to have it replaced until i found out that GMC was covering part of the repair based on vehicle age by accident. (received no letter from GMC until this day of problem). Now that it has been worked out (somewhat) i have had a second problem arise that i see others are having an issue with no resolve from GMC. I have the oil changed in my vehicles every 3,000 miles/ always have. My Envoy has never had an issue with the oil pressure or being low at service time. Back in July 2011 I had oil changed at local dealership that i had not used but once before. I do mostly local driving in my SUV but after this oil change we drove back home to visit family approximately 300 miles one way, no problem going but coming back about 220 miles into it the engine started making a knocking sound. Thought it may just be from cheaper gas we had purchased along the way - no dashboard lights to indicate anything else. Got 20 miles from home again and engine was getting hot on gauge. Pulled over to check and let it cool and restarted and gauge was okay. Made it home but engine was hot again when we pulled in. Late in evening so i waited until next morning to check. Started okay but checked under the hood to see if i could tell anything and when I checked the oil it barely registered on the dipstick. Took it in to the dealership where I had the oil change 3 miles from my house and they checked and could not find any leaks anywhere and told me that they must have underfilled it and they would change the oil and we could watch it to see if there were any problems. (oil was 3 1/2 quarts low I was told). Drove the vehicle for two more months no detection of noise from under the hood. Had oil changed in October everything okay, Drove two more months into end of December had oil change told everything okay. In January now and all of a sudden after having the vehicle into dealership for another issue we get home vehicle sits for three days and wife goes out to run an errand and in less than a mile the oil level inditator comes on telling her to stop engine. turns off and lets it sit for a bit, restarts no light but drives back home, light comes back on as she pulls in. Call dealership in AM and they send tech with oil to fill engine because I find once again no oil on dipstick when i check. They drive Envoy to shop and tell me it is oil pressure switch and needs to be replaced, i reluctently agree not knowing if this is truly the issue but was assured it was. WAS NOT NOW told that afternoon. Must be something internal in the engine! Cost 5,200 to $7,000 to fix.

How could i be at this point? Feel that there is something else that is going on! Need anyone's advice before i can think about going any further with this.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    GM lost him when he bought a beautiful Mark VI Givenchy when I was in kindergarten. My Grandmother would bring me to school in it. After that he was a Ford guy.

Interesting! Same with me....but later. Was a GM (Olds, Buick, Cadillac) guy until 1990, when I bought my first Lincoln. Was so much better, I was a Ford guy until 2002, when I bought my first Lexus. By then, Lincoln had nothing going anymore in big sedans, (Town Cars weren't nice anymore). Still buy Fords for the wife, but doubt GM will ever get me back with their offerings.....
    Best justification for not buying used I can think of. Trade this dog in. The frustration level it's producing in you isn't worth it. Recommend a Toyota 4Runner.
    Those Pintos were MUCH better cars than the Vegas were.

Having owned one of each, I TOTALLY agree with you. On all fronts except possibly looks, the Pinto was superior. From the Rack & Pinion steering the Vega didn't have, to the proven engine vs. the Aluminun disaster the Vega had, and everything in between, the Pinto was better. My Vega was so bad (in 1975), I traded it off in 6 months for a 1975 Pinto, and loved it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    edited January 2012
    Hi,

Looks like you landed in the wrong Forum. This is for "Classics". I'd suggest you cut and paste your question (and maybe shorten it up or put in some paragraphs to make it easier to read) and then post it in the GMC Envoy topic. Here's the link for you:

GMC Envoy Topic

You can also post in our ANSWERS Dep't.

ANSWERS

good luck!

Mrshiftright
    host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

123457»