Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Care & Maintenance

Comments

• rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Posts: 154
    Hi. I have a 2001 Focus ZX3 and a couple of weeks ago realized that the AC was not what is used to be. I found a local shop that specializes in auto AC. Brought the car in and he recharged the system for 50 bucks (while I waited!). Seems to have done the trick. I am most pleased that I actually found someone to do something on the car at a reasonable cost...and it works to boot! Amazing.
  • jdlaymanjdlayman Posts: 1
    I experienced the exact same problem with our 2001 SE around 55k miles. We are a married couple with no kids so our rear power windows are rarely ever used. Last year the driver's side rear became stuck most of the waay down and the motor quit working. We were leaving for a trip that day so we had no choice but to make a quick trip to the Ford dealer and almost $400 later it was fixed. Now tonight, the opposite window did the exact same thing. Seems like defective parts to me but I'm sure the Ford dealer will think otherwise. If we used the windows alot I could remotely understand but these windows have probably been up and down less than a dozen times since we bought the car. I am very unsatisfied.
  • I'm having the same problem, did you ever get an answer?
  • loolalaloolala Posts: 19
    I had the same repair on my 2000 ZX3 (5 speeds) about six months ago. Thought I had more than 90K at the time. I found it leaking parked at work, and I went straight to my Mechanic, and it didn't leak when it got there. It turns out to be a small crack that wouldn't leak when it's hot. I got it replaced for about $200 total, and so far, it's the only repair out of my pocket on the car (now over 100K). The other one I don't want to deal with is the rear wiper went dead, but I don't use it much!
  • chrisnj1chrisnj1 Posts: 13
    I just bought my son a 2001 Focus SE with 37000 miles. The car is in great shape. Guess what.................. The only issue my mechanic found was a cracked thermostat housing. It is made of plastic.
  • nyfocus1nyfocus1 Posts: 11
    I posted this under the general Focus forum as well:

This is the 6th summer I had the car & this year the A/C is killing my performance. The car struggles to get out of its own way and on steeps hills it will actually lose speed (it never did that before). My MPG has dropped from 30 to about 24-25. While the A/C has always taken its toll, this year is by far worse than any other year.

The car runs great when the A/C is off. I had a tune-up several months ago – new plugs, wires, air & fuel filter, etc. The A/C was fully recharged to eliminate any issues with it “cycling” on & off to frequently. The A/C itself works great – the air is plenty cold & cools the car in no time.

Normally I would just say the car is getting old but when the A/C is off, it runs (almost) like new.
  • melhalemelhale Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where and how you put the freon in a 2003 Ford Focus?
  • Hi. I recently had freon added to my 2001 ZX3. The mechanic searched and searched and finally referred to his computer guide. Anyway, the frean went into a port that was located behind the front passenger tire. He had to remove the tire and a bit of plastic around the wheel well to get to it.
  • i found a large puddle of water in my v reg ford focus this morning but cant see where any water could of leaked in from. can anyone give me and ideas of what the problem my be. thanks
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Where on the floor? Front, back, driver's side, passenger's side. What is a v reg ford focus? A better explanation of exactly where the water is will help forum members help you with your problem.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    were you useing the A/C?
  • the water was on the floor on the passenger side and also on floor in back behind passenger seat.

No i'd never used the A/c in my car
  • thenuttthenutt Posts: 1
    You should check to see if your trunk is wet as well. I know my boyfriend just got a 2007 Focus SE and we found out after having it only a week that the back window is leaking into the trunk, and then down on to the floor of the car. :| Not Impressed. Ford still hasn't given a solution and still has his car for another day. :mad:
  • I am now having this problem. Did anyone get an answer on how to find the fuse? Thanks!
  • 0311vn0311vn Posts: 48
    I've had this hollow sounding low pitch howl coming from the front end. I bought new tires and have rotated them but still hear the noise. Wondering if it could be the break rotors but I've replaced them as well.
  • tom71tom71 Posts: 46
    I get the impression, the Focus is a poor to average car in the reliability area. I realize in the early years the Focus had more problems. I'm curious about people who own Focus's from year 2004 to present.

Is there any Focus owner out there who have had good
    reliable (trouble free) service to 100K or more?
  • I suspect that the front wheel bearings may need some attention. I don't see any thing mentioned about said bearings requiring repacking.

I've had no engine or trans problems with my Focus wagon with 71K on it. However, the thermostat housing cracking and the fan assembly for the radiator needing to be replaced did not score points with me.

After five yeas of owing it I give the Focus a C plus, maybe a B minus.

The best I ever got on the highway was 34 mpg driving west to east; several tanks full were clocked at 32 on the same drive from San Diego to Austin, TX. I suspect a tail wind from the west helps.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    how many are going to have an '04 or newer with a 100k or more miles on it?
  • fordfoolfordfool Western New YorkPosts: 87
    the water was on the floor on the passenger side and also on floor in back behind passenger seat.

This is a very common Focus problem caused by a poor seal on the cover of the cabin air filter (not the same as the engine air filter).

Typically the problem occurs after the car has been serviced. The cabin air filter cover is removed to access the filter and then replaced without being properly sealed. The cover is in the passenger side outside air vent (where the windshield wipers are). Rain leaks past the cover into the passenger foot well.

link title
  • I too am having that problem. did you ever you get an answer?