Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Care & Maintenance

Comments

• I have this same issue. What is the fix? How much is the cost?

The blower doesn't work on 1, 2 and 3 speeds...but the A/C compressor engages! On speed 4, the blower activates, but the A/C compressor disengages! What the ????
  • I had the same problem on my 2000 LX and took it to a dealer and they removed the whole box,I guess there a couple of bolts beneath it that let you take the box out of the car and then you can access the bottom of the screws you cant get ahold of
  • Thanks for this.This is exactly what has happened to me.I will be back at the dealership tomorrow. They need to do a better job first time!! :sick:
  • jdog29jdog29 Posts: 1
    I Just had the same problem on my 2002 focus SE, and also in simalar situation. I drove round trip from Dallas to MT in July 2006. My car had 60,000 miles on it when I returned to Dallas. Once back in Dallas, I changed the brakes, oil, and did a radiator flush using the prestone radiator flush. I then drove all the way back to Montana w/ no problems. 2 days after arriving in MT I noticed a puddle in the driveway. It doesn't leak while the engine is warm, but if left to sit cold it will lose almost a liter/day. I searched and searched and finally found the source (thermostat). That is how I found your message. I bought the "melenium platinum" warranty from the dealership, but i still have to take the car in to see if it is an approved repair. Even then there is a $100 deductable on my plan. I'm thinking about just replacing it my self. I do still refill and drive my car w/ no problems, I just wanna get it fixed before the freezing weather sets in.
  • 0311vn0311vn Posts: 48
    We bought it two weeks after Sept 11th when the American car companies rolled out the zero financing offers. We just made the last payment this week. Our Focus SE wagon has 71K on it.

For a small car I appreciate the utility of its interior with the back seats down. Most SUV have little utility in this regard as witnessed in my son's SUV.

Friends of mine bought an 01 Focus, the first year they came out, I think, and had numerous problems with it and recalls. I have had the trans casing replaced when it was fairly new due to a hairline crack, at no cost. In my previous post I pointed out the two cooling system problems I had in June.

We paid 17K for the car. I got a $600. discount through a retired Ford worker buddy on the X Plan or whatever it's called. I'm a bit puzzled at the price of the car in 01 as the Focus seems to be selling at a lower price now.

I tend not to get very ego involved with my cars, so I believe I can give an honest appraisal of it, as I do with places I visit. I would probably give my Focus wagon a C plus. I give it a higher grade for its fuel milage; I got as high as 34 to several tanks driving through the SW. I clock most of the fill ups to have an idea if there is a problem by noting a drop in fuel milage. I give it a B plus on the highway and B minus in the city for fule milage. Actually, any vehicle that can get in the mid 30s on the highway probably should rate an A minus.

I doubt if I would buy another Focus, not so much that I am disappointed with the car but that I prefer something larger for highway driving, even a mini van. I had a 86 Honda Accord that I put 200K on with major repairs beginning at 90K (alternator, water pump, trans replacement) to 140K. The AC system on the Accord went out when it was five years old; too early in my book.

If I went with another new Ford I might pick a Fusion. Click and Clack on NPR say the Ford 500 is a solid car, but they really killed the styling from the original design I saw at the Detroit Auto Show around five years ago.

Grade C on the Focus, as I said.
  • My 2000 ZX3 (automatic) with 45,000 miles has developed a miss so I replaced the spark plugs now it runs without the miss. But a recent check of MPG shows only about 21 MPG, when new the MPG was 25. I suspect the throttle body; has anyone had a similar experience?
  • kcnnc1kcnnc1 Posts: 1
    In the past three weeks I've heard a "rumbling" noise under the hood whenever I start the car in the morning. In PARK and REVERSE I notice it the worst and only when the engine is cold. First, I thought it was bad tires since I first noticed the rumbling after I got out on the road. But then I noticed it just sitting still. As soon as the engine warms up though, the noise goes away. Anyone have a clue on this one? I'm trying to decide whether to repair or just trade my car for a Honda or Toyota. After my Focus had a lot of major repairs (under warranty, thank goodness and too numerous to count) it has runs wonderfully, but now...this. Thanks!
  • i just have a quick question how do you take the stereo out?
  • 0311vn0311vn Posts: 48
    My 01 Focus has 72K on it. I'm wondering if it is time to change the struts as it sometimes seems to have a bit of a wobble at high speed.

Does the Focus have struts or shocks?

I also notice that it has a squeak in the suspension when I get in and out.

If I need struts/shocks should all four be replaced together. What am I looking at to replace two or all four?
  • Hope you found info before now, but am having the same problem. I understand that the solution is to open up fuse panel cover, see two hold down screws on the fuse block itself. Remove these two screws and flip the fuse block over! There is one 20 amp fuse located on the back of the fuse block! Replace blown fuse, replace fuse block if you can still find the two screws, and... viola! My dealer wanted to rewire the system for $1,500! Go figure...hope this helps.
  • Hope you found info before now, but am having the same problem. I understand that the solution is to open up fuse panel cover, see two hold down screws on the fuse block itself. Remove these two screws and flip the fuse block over! There is one 20 amp fuse located on the back of the fuse block! Replace blown fuse, replace fuse block if you can still find the two screws, and... viola! My dealer wanted to rewire the system for $1,500! Go figure...hope this helps.
  • i noticed today that a metal sheet is hanging down underneath my car (Ford focus V reg)it seems to go from the passenger side underneath the exhaust box and stops ends underneath the drivers side where its hanging down any help with what it is would be grateful as i've looked through my maintenance books and cant find what it may be.
  • roushroush Posts: 1
    I want to know if anyone can help i have a 2000 focus zx3 and when i turn the key the electrical sounds like there is a short i changed the battery now the starter is making clicking noises and the electrical didn't change anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it if it would be better to take it to a shop
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    reset itself to 0.0 and stays that way. ?
  • Hi all. I have a 2001 ZX3 with "alloy" wheels. These things looked very cool for the first couple of years, but now have a bunch of whiteish salt stains that I think are impossible to remove. Any thoughts as to what or how to get these wheels looking good again? Thanks.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The alloys are clear coated, you can try using a cleaner wax such as Nu-Finish, just don't get any on the brake discs.

Mark.
  • Thanks for the response, Mark. It seems a pitty that the wheels have this clear coat stuff on them. How could this hold up? It would seem like clearcoating wouldn't last very long when put on wheels. Maybe I can strip it off with something and leave the nice pure metal (assuming it is a nice pure metal) left.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    that would be a big mistake. the clearcoat is what hwlps the wheels look so good. i would clean the wheels and follow mark's advice.
  • The purpose of the clear coat is protection of the alloy ( aluminum ) wheels from corrosion due to salt, dirt, etc. I f you strip it off you will be in a big canoe without a paddle.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    NOT PRETTY!

Mark.