Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    This article echos many of the points that have been put forth in this discussion. Maybe now that they have been stated by a source like Popular Mechanics, they will be given more serious consideration.

I am glad PM emphasized that even though they achieved very good FE marks in their tests, "your mileage may vary." Aint' that the truth.
  • dan_bdan_b Posts: 8
    Shouldn't you also know that something is wrong when the mpg is 25.6! The sticker for combined driving is 33, so you guys over at Hyundai should explain why their is a 23% discrepancy between your numbers and Motor Trends. I know that my elentra simply can not get over 23 in town even if there is no traffic and I drive as conservatively as possible, if traffic is bad I am lucky to 19 mpg.
  • I totally agree kateoo71. I have a 2012 Elantra Limited. 9400 miles. i drive 85% hwy 15% city and i get 31.5 mpg most of the time. today i got 32.2 i was shocked it went up. My sticker says 29 city 40 hwy. So why is it always 31.5 why not 35 or 36 which it should be since i drive mostly hwy. I also thought about a class action suit. I dont want to hear about how im driving it either. i drive slow and staedy. I'm 52. safty is first not how fast i get there.......I DONT LIKE BEING LIED TO!!!! I wish i had my 2010 VW Jetta TDI back.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    edited February 2012
    A quote from the PM article: "...City results were equally­ impressive, with each into the mid-30s. Bear in mind that we made no effort to be overly frugal—no drafting, no excessive coasting—and we made a point to keep up with traffic...".

Mid-30MPG in city driving. That is amazing. The simple physics involved in accelerating a 3000 pound vehicle in stop and go traffic coupled with the idle time at intersections? 34-35mpg in city driving is an achievement worthy of a Nobel Peace prize. ;)
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Today's Wall Street Journal has their review of the Mazda 3i Grand Touring sedan (which the reviewer loved). He got caught up in having fun trying to get good fuel economy (which hd did achieve). This part of the article caught my eye: "While the EPA's numbers are useful only for comparison, the difference between real world and test-cycle fuel economy is a source of unending aggrevation for car buyers.... In his book...philosopher Tim Schroeder argues that pleasure...is fundamentally a function of expectation. I note it here only to bolster my far-fetched fuel-economy-as-pleasure argument." I define happiness as Reality minus expectation (H=R-E). All we can control are our expectations. So the higher the expection....
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Their test results appear to support Hyundai's and EPA's figures. But I do wish there was more information on how PM got the two specific cars they tested. I assume they were provided by the manufacturers. If so, and esp. if the manufacturers knew the purpose of this specific test, did PM get "ringers"? That is one reason why I trust Consumer Reports the most for such tests as they actually go out and buy a car off a dealer's lot. CR can't be "ringered". [Detroit used to be notorious for providing ringers in acceleration tests, esp. in the muscle car era.]
    From what I saw in the PM article, their "city driving" was not inner-city-lots-of-stops kind of city driving. To me it seemed more like what I would call "suburban" driving. That is more realistic for low-to-mid-30s mpg. Getting that kind of mpg in true "city" driving with lots of stops/idling is difficult if not impossible in an ICE compact car. A hybrid, sure.
    Yep, the cars PM tested had the special Hamster Boost feature, i.e. dual treadmills with genetically-enhanced hamsters on each, good for an additional 3-5 mpg. You must figure in the cost of the hamster food though, plus eventual hamster replacement. PM might not have done that.

;)
  • Agreed 100%. And taking that a step further, the PM test's "city driving" was what many consumers consider "highway driving".
    Maybe so. I wouldn't consider it "highway" driving. Their loop test was "highway" driving, although they said they didn't exceed 70. It shows what one can do at that speed though. I have to chuckle a bit when folks post that they go 75+ mph and then don't understand why they aren't hitting the EPA highway estimate.
  • Well it's time for another trip to Chicago this week so I'll be at Enterprise Rental Car on Tuesday looking for an Elantra again. My last trip in an Elantra averaged right at 35mpg under less than ideal conditions.

If I get an Elantra again, I'll report the mileage here.
  • The 4th tank yielded slightly over 25mpg with about 80% city but towards the end I could see some improvement. I reset the mileage gauge 3/4 of the way through the tank and was getting close to 27 by the computer.

The difference being the tenths were increasing instead of dropping back towards 24 driving the same routes.

After the 4th fill up at sunoco yesterday, while on the highway, I reset the mileage gauge and actually got readings of 38-40. I was in shock because in the past i was getting 28-30. In fact i was getting readings of close to 33 for the day which included 50/50.

Today I had to take a a 100 mile round trip. On the highway I was getting 40mpg with cruise at 60, 38 with cruise at 65 and 36 with cruise at 70.

On the return trip, I reset the the mileage gauge and got 40! It was about 50% highway, 25% country roads, and 25% of stoplights every mile or so.

I use cruise the entire trip. The averages are all computer based as I did not fill up.

I'd say I noticed the mileage increase at about 1200 miles. I don't know if the gas had anything to do with it - I would have to switch back to be sure.
  • http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072602_2012-hyundai-elantra-2012-ford-focus- -sfe-get-40-mpg-real-world-says-popular-mechanics

Popular Mechanics tested the car and got even better then the 40mpg highway and were closer to 50 mpg. Again it is all on how you drive. I have been getting over 40 on the highway and over 30 in the city with the Elantra without an issue. These tests back it up.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    edited February 2012
    I get that some tests are showing very good gas mileage.

What you're not taking into account is that there MAY BE a flaw in SOME of the vehicles that is preventing owners, regardless of driving habits, from achieving acceptable MPGs. You can show all of the tests you like, but I can tell you right now that we are seeing pervasive complaints about this vehicle (and one other vehicle) that we are not seeing about other models. Even in models that are touted as having similar MPG ratings, that sell a higher volume of product - we aren't seeing near the number of complaints about MPG, even at the same break-in period.

So, if you want to believe that Elantra drivers are way, way more aggressive drivers, by a big majority, than, say, Civic drivers, that's your choice, but it pretty much defies logic and statistical probability.

We also see the same complaint in our consumer vehicle reviews, and there isn't a lot of crossover between those reviewers and forums posters:
    http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/2011/consumer-reviews.html?sub=sedan

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kristie_h,

Any customers that feel there is a defect should visit their dealer to ensure that is not the case. Our quality standards are very high. We stand behind our products. Studies and independent tests show that actual mpg figures are in line with what we advertise. Popular Mechanics is the latest we've seen. The independently-run JD Power APEAL study conducted recently showed that our owners are most satisfied with mpg in the compact segment, above any other competitor. In fact, over 50% of our owners rate fuel economy and driving range as a 9 or 10 on a 10-point scale. That figure is 7% higher than the next highest rated competitor.

Back in December we released a document on Twitter attempting to help explain any discrepancy.

http://scr.bi/ElantraMPG

I hope this helps explain some of the concerns and factors that affect fuel economy.

- Rob L, Hyundai Product PR Manager
  • I believe one of the main reasons you are seeing pervasive complaints, is due to the publicity this has gotten from Consumer Watchdog and more people who are fuel concious purchasing the vehicle due to it's 40 MPG rating. I know several 2011-2012 Elantra owners that are happy with the MPG on the vehicle and it is falling within the guidelines posted on the Monroney Sticker. If a person who is purchasing the vehicle based on fuel economy only ( which a majority of people who are purchasing the Elantra are,) then they are more likely to complain about the vehicle then someone who was purchasing it for interior or other features. Just by watching the Highways around the country, how many people are actually driving efficiently, when they are averaging 70MPH. Not many. So expect more complaints when people who purchase the vehicle are not driving properly to achieve the 40 MPG that is and has been proven better on the Elantra.
  • I definitely agree with you there - if someone's primary reason for purchase is a particular feature, or if it swayed them away from the competition, they are always going to be more conscious of that aspect of performance. I definitely see a lot of satisfaction with the vehicle, even from those who aren't achieving what they think they should MPG-wise, with most or all other aspects of the vehicle.

I didn't purchase my vehicle for MPG, and I barely pay attention to what I get. I needed an AWD vehicle, and I can sure tell you I'd notice if that weren't performing to expectations, even if everything else was great. We see a similar complaint from buyers who were swayed to some Ford vehicles by the My Touch/Sync system that isn't working properly. They have no complaints about other aspects, but that feature is making them sour on the whole vehicle.

If people are achieving WAY below what they expected, and are beyond a break-in period, and are taking steps to maximize fuel efficiency, I would most certainly recommend that they take it to a dealership - repeatedly and persistently if necessary.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If people are achieving WAY below what they expected, ...

But... what was expected?

My advice is and has been, if the FE of a car is significantly lower than the EPA rating on a controlled test (details for which I've posted in these discussions numerous times so will not bore everyone here), under best-case conditions, then it's time to take it into the dealer since a problem with the car is one of the few variables left.
  • How would one explain 28-30 highway and 3 weeks later 38-40?

All things being equal except for gas (Giant vs Sunoco) and car odometer 600 vs 1400.

I really hope my mpg issues are over.
  • Thanks for posting Rob. We appreciate hearing from the manufacturer.

======================================

I was hoping to complete another Elantra mileage report this week but alas, Enterprise gave me a 2011 Toyota Camry LE. I didn't experience any unintended acceleration on the trip, so that's a plus. :surprise: