Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Had to fill up twice in past 2 days.

First tank was about 30% hwy/70% city. 30.20 mpg (227.7 miles and 7.540 gals). Computer est. 32.0 mpg and said I averaged 28 mph. Did the highway driving with 2 adult passengers.

Second tank was about 75% hwy/25% city. 34.15 mpg (186.5 miles and 5.461 gals). Computer est. 37.6 mpg and said I averaged 51 mph. Did about half the highway driving with 1 adult passenger.

Weather was cold and windy, mostly in the 30 degs-40 degs for 1st tank. 2nd tank all in 20 degs. Had ECO on entire time. Used regular unleaded (non-ethanol). Tried to use cruise control for maximum amount of time. Drove at posted speed limits. While some of the hwy at 70 mph there were also portions at 65, 60, and 55 mph.

I find the AT fascinating. My tach shows about 1500 RPMs for 25 mph (4th gear, direct drive 1-1), 35 mph (5th gear), and 45 mph (6th gear). The manumatic shifting feature has an override, so I can't put the car into 5th at 25 or 6th at 35 mph, even though I wish I could and the car has enough torque to keep it going nicely on level ground. This car really seems to max out FE in the 40-60 mph range, in 6th gear (the deep overdrive), but the FE craters from standing start to 25 mph. So lots of stop signs and stop lights will kill FE. And I see a noticeable dropoff after 65 mph. By time doing 70 mph FE dropping fast.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    This car really seems to max out FE in the 40-60 mph range...

I've seen the same thing on nearly every car I've driven (for which I've measured fuel economy) over the past 20 years or so. 50-60 seems to be the sweet spot from my experience, although it's possible to get very good FE at lower speeds too if the tranny is geared for it. For example, at 35-40 mph in my Sentra with CVT the engine is turning at only 1100-1200, so I can get good FE cruising at those speeds. Except I never get to stay at those speeds very long since that would be in-town driving, so there's stops/starts.
  • My 1st tank of gas 2012 GLS AVERAGE 29 mpg . The 2nd tank same thing,half way through reset went 25 miles on highway 60 mph criuse control got 40 + enough said!!! The key word is AVERAGE!!! Case Closed!!!
    The April 2012 issue of MT has a 7-car test of economy hatchbacks with manual transmissions and the Accent won both the test and had highest FE achieved, and Rio came in last. The FE numbers achieved were interesting:

Accent SE: 32.4 mpg achieved (30/40 EPA mpg)
    Yaris SE: 32.3 (30/38)
    Fit: 31.0 (27/33)
    Rio: 30.8 (30/40)
    Sonic LTZ: 30.6 (29/40)
    SX4 Sport Back: 27.8 (23/32)
    Mazda2: 27.0 (29/35)
  • The keyword here IS average and people are having a hard time getting the average they should be getting. I just hit 3000 miles on my Elantra and have yet to get anywhere close to 40mpg except when the reset is it. It will steadily fall WHILE driving at a controlled speed of 55mph. In 30 miles of continuous driving with no stops or steep inclines the mpg would go from high 30's to 35.

When I picked up my car from the dealer after they failed to find any issues with it a lady was there to pick hers up as well. Same model and she was getting in the teens for city driving which is what I was getting when I drove around rockville one morning but that was my only experience with 'city' driving. She complained that she traded in her 98 Toyota for this but was getting worse gas mileage.

Prior to meeting her I had asked the Adviser if they had other people with this issue and they responded with no. Either the testing procedures have changed to allow for better MOG ratings than in the past or this car just does not get the stated averages.

In a 6 day work week with a total of 24 highway miles at 55mph daily roundtrip and 1 miles total of getting on and off the ramp (1/4 from house to highway and a 1/4 mile from highway to work) we cannot stay above 32mpg average. This is using mild acceleration and cruise control. Now for those who say this isn't enough time to warm up the vehicle I have tried letting the vehicle warm up longer before leaving and just idling causes the mpg to drop and in 3 days of doing this the average mpg had dropped to 29.

You have to be an idiot to reset the computer and take it on the highway and say that you're getting 40mpg because it reads that at the beginning. When reset they all read high until an average can be given. The problem is that people cannot seem to get anywhere close once more than a few miles have been put on since the computer was reset.

The service adviser told me the mechanic was able to achieve 41mpg in 5 miles of driving on the highway so nothing was wrong. First, I have no idea how they did this unless he reset the computer while at highway speed and not from the shop or he would have never got that rating since I haven't. Second, when I started up the car it read 27.8mpg average. I find it hard to believe that this computer is actually reading an average accurately if you can go from 41mpg to 27.8 with only a short distance from the dealership to the highway.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    This idiot reset the computer MANY times to get the instant MPG under varying conditions. Highway means ALL highway NOT city/highway mix.
    The comment about MPG going down at idle is very enlightened; using fuel without traveling any miles would equal 0 MPG. seems to me that would impact your average MPG also. The instant MPG is a great way to learn your vehicle and also to maximize your MPG experience. ALL city = minimum MPG. ALL highway = minimum MPG. Mix of both equal something in between.
    We have the 2012 Sonata that has the same computer software - what cool cars - they can even lear which is more than some of the operators!
    This is interesting in that the Accent and Rio have the same powertrains and are close to the same weight. So, why did the Rio get lower FE than the Accent? One reason might be if the Rio had the 17" wheels; Accent's are 16".
  • "The keyword here IS average". That means half of you will get mpg lower than the average.!
    I think the results vs EPA estimates are most interesting for the 4 cars with the highest highway estimates. Consumers see the "40 mpg" in all the ads and think that is what they will get, forgetting to pay attention to the more important city and overall estimates. The MT results achieved in their tests come close to the combined estimates, and notice how they are about a whopping 8-10 mpg LESS than the "40" highway number (and about 6 less for the Yaris' 38)! So instead of thinking 40, buyers should really be thinking about 30-32 mpg overall. That is realistic and achievable for most owners.

Accent SE: 32.4 mpg achieved (30/40 EPA mpg)
    Rio: 30.8 (30/40)
    Sonic LTZ: 30.6 (29/40)
    -----------------------------
    Yaris SE: 32.3 (30/38)
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    I think most of the complaints are coming from people that can't achieve with any kind of regularity any of the estimates city/highway or average. Especially when cars that they drove before did achieve their respective EPA estimates. I don't assume that most consumers expect to get "40mpg" as an average as I just don't think they are that stupid or uninformed. From what I've read, they realize that the 40 is a hwy number. But when they drive very conservatively at 60mph on a flat expressway and can't get more than 35-36mpg something appears to be wrong.

There may be something wrong with their individual vehicle which does not reflect the vast majority of the car's out there. That's why it's really hilarious when the know-it-alls post on here that they "get what they are supposed to get" with their car so that means the people that are complaining are either stupid, can't drive or are lying." They never consider that a few cars may not be performing as they should.
  • On my trip a few weeks ago I got 38-40 on the highway at 60-65 mph. I had a half tank of gas, was the only person in the car, and the winds were calm.

This past weekend on the highway with 3 peeps in the car, full tank, and windy as heck, I got 31 mpg.

We're averaging 27 mpg cause the non highway driving kills the average and so do passengers. Best overall tank average I think was 29.5.
  • With a 30% city 70% highway and I get 40.1 MPG explain that
    Easy. You are to the far right of "average" on the curve. There will be some drivers out there. Just as there will be drivers on the far left of the curve.
  • Hi. I am not sure what your driving habbits are, or what city you live in. If you are in heavy traffic, Stop and go.. I can see that you will get about or less than the 29 MPG's. I am getting 31.4 MPG's and i have just reached 1274 Miles, I am doing city and Hwy driving, I live in a Desert and Mountain terrain, so there is really no flat roads. its up and down, Please read my reviews. I will be updating
    regerly on the MPG's. But keep in mind.. It's UP TO 29 MPG's and UP TO 40 MPG's. Calculate your MPG's your self. Divide the miles gone by the Gallons you have filled up. If you live close to sea level. I would think one would get great
    MPG's. I live 5000 Feet above Sea level, and that is at the lowest point of the city. I hope you have better luck in getting better MPG's.. :)
    edited February 2012
    70% Highway @ 44MPG + 30% "City" @ 33MPG = Average 40 MPG
    Better than average highway is easier to attain with lower speed.
    Better than average "city" dependent on amount of stop & go - you must have very little stop and go. We have freeways in our city and we live fairly close so our "average" benefits greatly. Milk delivery man would get minimum. Capice?
    Think it interesting that Wall Street Journal's weekly auto columnist has been having about a question a week recently tied to FE. In today's issue Mr Walsh writes, "the [EPA] bases its fuel economy ratings for vehicles on 100% gasoline. Drivers using the typical 10% ethanol blend should expect a decrease of 3% to 4% in [FE]." If he is right about EPA testing, in worse case a 4% reduction would turn EPA 29/40 sticker into 28/38 with ethanol. Just one more factor to keep in mind in the real world of FE. Fortunately, in my part of the midwest I can buy 87 oct regular unleaded (non-ethanol) in addition to 89/90 oct ethanol and 91 oct premium unleaded (non-ethanol).
  • eweinereweiner Posts: 36
    edited February 2012
    Ahhhh.....NO!

If you have highways in the city then its not city driving. You math is also estimated not actual. EPA values are generally wrong for most drivers.

You're getting high mileage because you're driving ALL highway. The Elantra's city MPG is not good and worse than the EPA estimates most of the time.

On an earlier thread you asked how we might explain your 40 MPG. Well:

You are driving near 100% highway.

Is your measurement at the pump or via the average MPG reading?

I can get 40 on the highway, on a warm day. But my at the pump MPG is far less because the local driving KILLS any gains on the highway.

For those who are consistently below 25 at the pump MPG...go to your dealer and have your car checked. There is something wrong.
  • I'm just saying the disparity between these cars is a combination in-between bad driving habits or computer glitches with the cars, how else could I see such a great increase in my MPG over the same route and same driving habits ( my car wouldn't start and died three times before it started up and ran perfect) . I drive very eco friendly, acceleration slow and shifting between 2000-3000 ripped and setting the cruise once I achieve my optimal speed. There is a problem however if you are only getting 30-33 in all highway driving like how I was before the reflash, I have accumulated quite a few miles since then and will refill after a highway trip tomorrow and share my MPG.
    edited March 2012
    I'm just saying the disparity between these cars is a combination in-between bad driving habits or computer glitches with the cars...

Sorry, I don't agree. I think a lot of the disparity in what different drivers get for FE has to do with where and when they drive, and conditions including weather, traffic, number of stops, amount of idling etc. They could be careful drivers (easy on the gas etc.) and have no problems with the car, and still not get the "EPA average" because of where and when they drive. I've seen this myself. For example, if I am driving in nice weather and can avoid heavy traffic, I can easily meet or beat the EPA city rating. And on the highway, if it's clear sailing and the speed limit is 70 or less, same thing. But with lots of short trips and/or very cold weather and/or stop/go traffic, I would be hard pressed to hit the city EPA rating. Yesterday I was on a freeway for 2 hours, in the middle of a terrible ice/snow storm, crawling along at 5-10 mph a lot of the time. I didn't get near the EPA "highway" rating even though I was on the highway all the time.

But I do think Hyundai ought to package that reflash for other vehicles and sell it on the open market--they'd make a zillion bucks. :)
    backy: Agree with your comments that the biggest FE factor is the driver and the conditions - not the car.
    Flashing the transmission/computer control is a TSB that requires lots of testing and discussion prior to be implemented. The original programming is driven by many factors and once the code is burned in chnages are only made when needed due to bad code or something obvious.
    Definately works when the problem is real and not driver or conditions induced per your prior comments.
    How was your car in the ice and snow? Regular tires or low profile?