Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Sedan max weight 2877 pounds. EPA MPG MT or AT 29/40/33.
    Coupe max weight 2877 pounds. EPA MPG MT 29/40/33 AT 28/39/32.
    GT max weight 2959 pounds. EPA MPG TBD.

I wonder if the extra 80 pounds is that panoramic sunroof...
  • happydazhappydaz Posts: 7
    I drove the Elantra for a day and yes I did achieve very good gas mileage...if I drove it like a granny. If I drove it normal the gas mileage plummeted. But what really bothered me about the Elantra was the suspension. You feel everything. I often felt like I was hauling around a bunch of extra parts. It felt to big for the engine. My wife said it was like riding in an airplane...smooth...but with a lot of turbulence. When you hit a bump you felt it throughout the entire car and your body. At first I liked the exterior styling but it wore on me after a while. I could see it getting old fast. The interior styling was very nice with all the gadgets. Roomier than the civic. But I wouldn't be using some of the gadgets and negotiating on the Elantra was much more difficult than with the Civic EX. I basically got the Civic EX at about $500 more than the be best price I could get on a base automatic Elantra. I think the moonroof was worth that.

The civic is tried and true dependability. It gets its MPG and I don't have to change the way I drive to get it. It is noisier but smoother. That suspension and the fact that the MPG was dependable is what sold me. No...it was being able to negotiate the price. So thanks to all those buying the Elantra, I was able to get the price I got. Hope this helps others. I almost waited for 2013s but needed a car now and figured negotiating on the new 2013 would be more difficult.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

roll up windows and close doors. Stand outside Elantra with music on. Make sure the Fading is even so you are using back speakers also. It is loud as if they didn't put any sound insulation in the panels or just thin panels. It was so loud it seemed abnormal. Now the Civic is also a tin can. Open the trunk. Feels like it might fall off. Elantra...I didn't like the fact there is no spare. The sales guy told me....hey, you need to call a tow truck anyway if you get a flat. Really. That was dumb. Civic ... radio reception is much better. Don't know why. In Elantra the salesperson insisted on demoing the phone features. He took his phone and loaded his phone numbers from it to the car. Then verbally instructed car to call a number. The car rejected the command three times before I told him to put a sock in it. If I drove normal in the Elantra around town I got 23 mpg. But they say the onboard mpg reading is high by about two miles. So that would really be 21 mpg. Now, I honestly don't know what I was getting. But if I drove like a granny, I got about 35 city. That was great. Seemed like a huge threshold between driving very conservative and driving normal. That bothered me. I do like the way the Elantra can seem to roll forever without applying the pedal. It is almost like skating.
    I would recommend renting the three cars at top of your list. This gives you a chance to spend time alone with it. No one watching you.

Search online to find out what others paid and when they bought. Try to go with entries that give the details. Try to determine from this, a price that you definitely should get. And then one you want to shoot for. You are negotiating an OTD price. Out The Door. That way they cannot fill in a bunch of fake charges on you. You have to Demand that the OTD price includes the price of the car including what happens in the finance office. You need to know all the fees that the finance guy may try to spring on you. You have to be able to compare apples to apples.

Now get prequalified by a bank or credit union and get prequaled by the car manufacturer.

Now send an email to all dealers in the area where you would be willing to go. Specify you are ready to buy and already prequalified with the manufacturer. Specify the exact car you want and ask for the OTD price. Make sure you exactly specify the car, the transmission and all.

Now get the best price and send that out to all the others. Play them against one another until you get the best price.

Now you know who you will buy from. Tell them to send you the VIN Number and a fax of the window sticker. Look over this information to make sure all is right. Ask for the Mileage on the car. It should be very very low.

Now that you are ready to go get it....tell them when and make sure they understand if you are financing and make sure you go over the OTD price again.

Now call the sales manager and go over the deal again.

Now go pick up your car. Pay attention to how the title work will be handled. They may try to get you for more money on title. That is why the OTD price is the Total...After visit to financing...OTD Price. Tell them you don't want any extended warranty. That makes the process easier. You can always buy that after the fact.

OK go get your car. Now if anything out of the ordinary comes up...anything...simply abort. Tell them you need time to look into that and leave the dealership. Gather info. you need and allow yourself time to collect your thoughts. Then go back and finish up. This is very important because they will try complicated [non-permissible content removed] on you that they deal with all the time but which you may need more time to get your mind around. If they try to force you to proceed without leaving then tell them to back off or the deal is over. You have to stay in complete control all the time.

Best of luck
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    I do like the way the Elantra can seem to roll forever without applying the pedal. It is almost like skating.

I think you have hit on the best way to get high FE on any non-hybrid car: keep your foot off the accelerator as much as possible. Works for me anyway. If the Elantra can "roll forever" without touching the pedal, that bodes well for folks who know how to keep a light touch on the gas. As you said, you got 35 city when driving like the proverbial Granny--or 20% better than the EPA number. So maybe by just driving like an Auntie, one could hit the EPA numbers. ;)
    I think most of our members are already familiar with the basic research that one should do prior to buying a car.

I would skip a WHOLE lot of the middle part of your suggestion - you shouldn't have to spend all of that time and go through hassle playing dealers against each other IF you have already done the research and know what deal is doable, with some flexibility. I've never had as painful an experience as the prolonged ordeal you describe!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ronnomadronnomad Posts: 11
    I'm just replying to the last message on this forum but not to the specifics of that message.

We bought our 2012 Elantra Limited back in June. To date, with 8,125 miles (2,830 so far this year) we have a total average of 29.76MPG. 50-75% of the miles are HWY and the 'best' MPG we have seen is 33.5 with all HWY driving. To get this vehicle we got rid of a 1998 Corolla with 230,000 miles that was still averaging over 30MPG in regular (read daily) driving. Any major driving was done in a 2001 VW Jetta (4cyl Turbo w/5 speed manual). The VW has just under 130,000 miles (this year 3,704 miles - avg MPG this year 28.3). As I have noted in previous posts, at speed, the VW is about 1,000RPM HIGHER than the Elantra. Also, I tend to be more aggressive in the VW. So, regardless of what is being said about fuel type, foot pressure, etc., it makes no sense that a brand new car with a 6 speed automatic is not getting better (HWY) MPG and something closer to what is being advertised.
    BTW, the reason we got rid of the Corolla was that "I" thought the car was under powered and under braked. And, the reason we did not go fora new Corolla was that I thought the 6 speed transmission in the Elantra would be superior to the 4 speed in the Corolla.
    As an FYI, on a 1,500 mile trip (with 3 people in the car and a full trunk) the VW averaged 30.68MPG. The EPA figures for that year's model are 22 city, 24 avg, 28 HWY.
    Oh, and to ask a question. More than one post has alluded to the instantaneous MPG meter. Where is that? I can only see the Average MPG meter.
  • chickraechickrae Posts: 44
    Right I don't think all that research is necessary. I emailed 3 different dealerships. Same car...one was quite high and one was low (hyundai Elantra) The third dealership was a different brand of car altogether (mazda 3 touring skyactiv)I didn't play the dealers against each other, however on my trade in I did. I needed to get a certain amount for my trade in or all deals off and I was selling the car myself before buying the new car. I found one that would give me what I wanted and it happened to be the Mazda dealer and I liked the car better anyways. I have heard too many negatives about the Elantra. And like someone else said...the design is very attractive but I think I would tire of it. My buying experience was actually great and stress free at the dealership.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    chickrae said: And like someone else said...the design is very attractive but I think I would tire of it.

I thought the same way about the Elantra. In fact, on the street it doesn't look as interesting, the body design doesn't stand out in a crowd at traffic lights. Both Hyundai and Kia haver a problem with
    paint colors—nothing special! Very ordinary hides the cars. Color choices should highlight the new designs without being so close to other brands.
  • elantra4elantra4 Posts: 7
    I just have returned from a trip to Savannah Georgia from New York City. I have 11500 miles on my 2012 Elantra . On the way down the best i was able to get was 36.5 on the mpg gauge. This is on I-95 at a speed of 65 with cruise most of time going thru NJ. Once i got further south where the average speed of driving can be from 70-80 the best i could get with cruise on was 33.3. I have only been able to get the upper mpg range, 40mpg, since i got the car in June of 2011when i had refilled the tank when i once went thru Georgia which is all flat and straight and held the speed at 65. This was a one time experience and never been able to do it again. This was when i first got the car. Local driving city only 22-24mpg. I fully agree that the suspension is horrible on this car as you feel every bump in the road. I almost got the 2012 Civic but decided on the Elantra. I have owned a 1988 civic and 2003and 2004 Elantras. I used to get close to 40mpg on the civic on a all highway trip. Am I sorry i got the 2012 Elantra. Maybe, i do love the look, the gas mileage does not live up to the advertised numbers except at really controlled conditions but after almost a year of driving it i will most likely be switching back to the Civic at trade in time.
    I'm really thinking Hyundai messed up this 1.8L powertrain. It's just not delivering as promised: too many people are falling short on the MPGs. Maybe the 1.6L DI-Turbo will work out well enough to replace it (if it's not too expensive). There are some rumors running around about an Elantra Turbo, maybe they can tweak it to trade some of the power for 40 MPG highway (it's supposed to get 37 in the Veloster, which is amazing for a 200 HP car).
  • chickraechickrae Posts: 44
    What would upset me is trading in a car I owned that had pretty good mpg such as 33-35, thinking I was going to get 40 on the Elantra, only to find out I am getting less than the car I had. I had a gas guzler before, so anything would be an improvement, but I understand why people are upset. I emailed the Hyundai salesman and told him my concerns about the 40mpg and that owners weren't getting it. He said he had never heard a thing about it...yeah right. I guess that's why I chose not to get it...among other reasons.
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Think it would really help everyone if posters providing mileage figures would provide some data about average MPH in addition to avg. MPG. Just estimating a % of time spent on "highway" doesn't give a good sense of the real speed and amount of time travelling at speed. Seems like a lot of posters with issues don't provide any MPH data.

I continue to see low MPG due to low MPH. My recent tank was 26.4 mpg (all non-ethanol) but my avg. MPH was only 20.0! [Have less than 2700 miles total driven so far.] So I know I spent a lot of time at stop lights, and stop signs, and in 1-3 gears, plus most trips were short and the car rarely got close to optimal thermal efficiency. But even then, getting over 26 mpg when travelling so inefficiently seems...pretty decent.
    I've got an Elantra Touring that's supposed to get 30 and I get 31 with a heavy foot, and the gas here is always 10% ethanol all the time. it was originally rated at 33, 30 is after the revision. I just think they went in the wrong direction with Elantra/Nu. With the Sonata, Accent, and Veloster engines they took advantage of DI. With the Elantra they tried to rely on weight reduction and a smaller engine with a slight compression bump, but without DI. I think that hurt them: there's no actual increased efficiency technology in the engine itself: it's just dragging around a little less weight. Until you go to the grocery store and load up anyway. :shades:

I will say I was also considering an Elantra GT for a while. Saw it at the NY Auto Show along with the Veloster Turbo. Nice car, very roomy and comfortable, but when you factor in the MPG reports and the lack of drivetrain tech versus competition like the Mazda3 (155 HP and 40 MPG), Ford Focus (160 HP and 38 MPG) and even Hyundai's own Veloster Turbo (200 HP and 37 MPG estimated), why put up with Hyundai's 148 HP and MAYBE 40 MPG if you happen to be lucky? Why they didn't give us the 2L DI-Nu I have no idea...

The 1.8L Nu may be Hyundai's first epic fail in a while. Nothing to be ashamed of so long as they correct it quickly. And it's not like Hyundai doesn't have the Accent, Veloster, and Sonata to pick up the slack.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,025
    Avg mph can be decieiving. If one drives from a country home to a nearby small town a few miles away the avg speed may be 35mph and it may involve just one or two stop signs. But sombody else could avg that same 35mph by driving 75 on the expressway for several miles and jackrabbiting a few miles in town with alot of stoplights(idling). The one that had the leisurely drive to the small town would no doubt get substantially better mpg even though the avg mph are the same. I realize this is extreme but I'm sure there are variations of this which would make an apples to apples(mph to mph) comparison suspect. Not bad info but more info is needed for an accurate comparison of any kind.

I find the most convincing arguments are those that compared their mpg to previous cars driven over the same route for an extended period of time. If they had no problem achieving EPA numbers before than they would logically beliieve they could do it with their new car driving in the same manner.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    If they had no problem achieving EPA numbers before than they would logically beliieve they could do it with their new car driving in the same manner.

It'd be logical if the EPA ratings were close. It's a lot harder for car to hit a 40 mpg rating than a 25-30 mpg rating. The EPA system is set up to make those high ratings possible, but not guaranteed. We heard about the acceleration assumptions for the EPA tests, for example. Many drivers don't accelerate that slowly.

What I would find frustrating, and hard to explain, if I were the owner of a 2011-2 Elantra, is if there was no doubt I drive with a light foot and have no problem exceeding EPA fuel economy ratings in any car--including the Elantra I test-drove or rented and other high-mpg cars--under all but extreme conditions, then my own Elantra couldn't hit the EPA ratings. One thing I'd do if I owned an Elantra like that is take another one for a long test drive or rent one and see how it compared to mine, to check on the possibility of a problem with the car.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    My wife & I returned to the Chicago suburbs from the Indianapolis area yesterday. While she normally uses a trip meter in the display, I had flipped it over to the Average MPG readout. Once she started watching it she really enjoyed watched the MPG inch up.

Here are the circumstances:
    - Full tank of gas. Regular 87 octane w/10% ethanol from Circle-K / Shell.
    - Occupying the car was my wife + me + 2 suitcases in the trunk.
    - About 2700 miles on the odometer so the car hasn't even had an oil change yet.
    - Outside temps were in the mid '70s.
    - AC was on the entire trip. During part of the trip the sun was strong & heated up the interior; towards the end after the sun went down it was used to keep humidity down as it was raining.
    - Cruise control was set to 71MPH. So she was speeding by 1MPH (I said to her "you're such a rebel" :D ). Occasionally she sped up to pass or cancelled due to traffic but CC was maintained for probably over 90% of the drive. I don't think she exceeded 80MPH.
    - Towards the end of the trip we were also driving at night with the rain.
    - It was windy yesterday. Winds were mostly from the west so for much of the trip it was a cross-wind. For the last 30 or 40 miles, though, it was a headwind.
    - Overall trip was around 180 miles. It started with about 10 miles of pre-interstate rural driving and ended with 14 miles of post-interstate suburban roads.

Once we hit I65 the display noted around 34MPG. So that would cover the pre-interstate rural driving. As we cruised on I65 it kept inching up and up. Eventually it topped out briefly at 40.1MPG. I did snap a cell phone pic @ 40. By the time we got home it had dropped a little to 39.2.

We haven't calibrated the Ave. MPG readout to see how accurate it is in her car, but I'm figuring that even if it read high, we were running with E10 gas, used AC the entire trip, and part of the trip included a headwind, night driving (headlights), and wipers so the electrical load was higher. I've no doubt that 40+ is possible for her car under the right circumstances.

I'm not trying to counter the claims from others that their cars aren't delivering the economy they hoped for; just that, for my wife's Elantra, 40 highway is possible.
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Avg. MPH is a readily available piece of data that can provide some insight into the perception of drivers. I believe too many people underestimate that amount of time they spend sitting at stop signs and stop lights. That is a real MPG killer, and one that drops avg. MPH quickly.

Just fuelled up again after seeing my daughter at her college Saturday. This time my avg. MPH went from 20 mph to 30 mph and my FE went from 26.4 mpg to 33.0 mpg (149.1 miles using 4.517 gals non-ethanol). About 50/50 city/highway miles driven, but more time spent in city driving. Never had cruise control above 65 mph (also had some 50/55/60 mph segments). So that combined 33 mpg is pretty close to the EPA combined estimate.
    But the computer's MPG estimate remains about 10% high. Estimated 36.9 mpg.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Not here to defend Hyundai, but many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fuel economy IMHO. If you:
    - Live in a cold climate
    - Don't have your tires properly inflated
    - Run the A/C constantly
    - Don't have fuel conserving driving habits (quick to accelerate, lots of stop and go, lots of idling, don't use the coasting method, don't drive at a constant speed, etc) you will most likely never hit the EPA numbers.

I have owned lots of cars.. I rarely hit the EPA numbers but I really don't expect to as I tend to have a lead foot on acceleration, and I don't coast to stop signs/red lights as much as I should. And I live in a cold climate and like to run the A/C on high in the summer.

In the past ten years I have owned, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, VW, and now a Hyundai (Sonata). If I really try to hit the EPA numbers in ideal conditions I am usually able to, and I can sometimes exceed it. But it is just not for me. I would rather spend more money and drive as I like to :) But I still get pretty close, especially on the highway.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    DC Driver: You are exactly right, it's a car, not a magic carpet, not a slot machine, just a real nice car Hyundai thought many would enjoy riding in and drive sensibly. Look at the HAVC controls on the center-dash, beautifully designed aren't they, but they are the three knobs found in other vehicles,
    they do the same things. People begged for something really new, now they have it and they are complaining. :(
  • w_kingstonw_kingston Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I've owned my 2012 Elantra Limited since the first of January, so roughly 15 weeks now. I commute 100 miles round-trip each day to work, mostly rolling hills by interstate, with the last 5 miles city travel. The actual mpg on my first tank of gas was 32.1 and with each new tank it has steadily increased. I rarely drive over the speed limit, and I try to accelerate slowly. I've found that keeping the rpm below 2000 when possible really helps, and I do use the cruise control. I only buy "regular" gas. The mpg on my last six tanks has been: 37.1, 35.9, 36.5, 41.1, 36.8, 37.2. The mpg indicator on the instrument panel usually reads 2.2 mpg higher than actual, but at least it's consistent. If it reads 40.2 mpg, then I know I'm actually getting 38. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my Elantra. I would have gone with an even smaller car, but at 6'4" I just couldn't fit comfortably into most of them. The Elantra had the combination of fuel economy and leg-room I had to have.
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    I don't think anyone thinks it's a magic carpet, but when it say's 29/40 you should get at least 27/35. The most I've gotten combined is 26, that's about 60%city 40 highway... it's ridiculous. It looks good but drives bad, the ride is terrible, you feel every bump the handling stinks. I know I wasn't buying a Bimmer but coming from a Corolla there's no comparison. This is a classic case of don't judge a book by it's cover.
  • eweinereweiner Posts: 36
    Why are you commenting on an Elantra thread when you dont own one. The Sonata is not the same car.

Some of your points require that you assume that people posting here have the worse habits on the planet. People run the heat in the winter, the AC in the summer. They fill their tires with air and drive as they have with ALL of their other cars.

A car should not require special skills to get the EPA estimates. Normal, average driving should be all that is required.

Most people do not achieve even desent results with the Elantra. That's why they come here. Their eperience and expectation are not being met.

For me, I am going to leave behind the Elantra soon. I'd rather have better handling, and a bigger car for a little lost MPG. I am told that the Optima and Sonata's fill that niche but more research is needed on my part. It seems the V6's are actually better at getting higher MPG.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    "Wiener" Your reply to DC shows us why some drivers never learn to operate their vehicle efficiently - They just can't learn from others. We have a 2012 Sonata also and monitor the Elantra board ( and others) to learn more about Hyundais and MPG tips in general. Seems the more you can learn the better you can operate your car and save $. DC's tips are not obvious to some drivers who may benefit IF they have that cherished human behavior trait - LEARNING. Good luck in your search.
  • pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    Update on my 2011 Elantra GLS Mileage.

Son just returned from a 400 mile round trip from DFW/Austin.

Said he had the cruise on 80 mph and the mileage readout was 38.

Checking mileage against actual fuel added gave me 36. The mpg gage installed does seem to read about two mpg higher than what you actually pump in, but of course, actual gallons added depends on temperature, technique and several other items.

Overall, I have never gotten less than 32 in the city (my calculations based on gallons added, not the gage) and if I set the cruise on 65, I can easily average 40-41 mpg.

The car is not perfect. I think my wife's 2010 Civic has more comfortable seats and the bluetooth is better, but overall, the Elantra is a homerun in my book.

I wrote before that I use cruise control whenever I can and it does seem to make a difference.

I am sorry for others that are not getting the mileage I am. I can tell you that this car (at least mine) will get the listed EPA numbers if driven modestly. It is not only possible, but achievable.

For those who are dissatified, life is too short. Get rid of the car and get something else. Satisfied people rarely participate on these internet boards, so I wanted to be the "contrarian" and tell folks you CAN get the mileage listed. It's not a fraud or scam.
    Satisfied people rarely participate on these internet boards

Completely made-up fact. We have as many satisfied owners, if not more, who participate on these boards than those who are dissatisfied.

• dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    eweiner,

I am replying in this thread because I was researching Hyundai (amongst many other brands). The one thing I find constant in these types of threads across every single brand and model is that results are all over the place. Some people get under the EPA estimates, some people get right on, and some people go over. There are just so many variables to consider, hence my post. If nobody were able to get the EPA estimates with this car than I agree, something would be wrong, but clearly it is achievable, but it might require one to change their driving habits or have different expectations.

As for handling and ride, this I would recommend test driving lots of cars first for an extended period of time. I usually know very quickly once I get in a car how it handles. If you want a larger, better handling car, and want to stick with Hyundai, I would recommend the Sonata SE's, and also look into the Mazda 3 with the Skyaxtiv engine. Good handling and fuel economy with the Mazda as long as you can put up with the cheaper looking/feeling interior and the road noise.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    >>>For those who are dissatified, life is too short. Get rid of the car and get something else.

Problem is, if you sell the car, you won't get full value back. And for people who took out a loan, they will owe the balance of the loan minus whatever they can sell the car for which can amount to several thousand. They will either have to eat that loss or keep the car and learn how to drive more efficiently.
  • pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    Host,

How many other posters are satisfied with their Elantra mileage?

Would you not agree most (on this forum) are complaining, not extolling?