Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• Well, I was driving as light footed as I could, as well as my wife, and our city driving always hit 22mpg. Could not get it any better than that. Tried different brands of fuel, but nothing mattered. Well, I ended up swamping the thing in a freak flash flood, so replaced it with a bigger, better vehicle. I ended up getting a 2013 Nissan Altima. I consistently get 25 mpg city. I even got 41mpg highway on my last trip. It's rated at 38mpg highway, so I was very impressed. The ride is worlds better than the Hyundai Elantra and the car is quieter as well, not to mention it is fully loaded with more room all around. Much better car. I would have considered the Hyundai Sonata, until the gas mileage issues I was seeing, plus the issue with the computer telling me I was getting 2mpg better than I actually was. This made me think they were trying to deceive people, and so it boiled down to a car company I couldn't trust. Go with the Nissan, you won't regret it.
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    edited November 2012
    Reply to Gman
    I don't rely on the trip computer for the mileage, I fill the car up, drive till I need gas again, record the miles and fill up, divide miles by gallons I put in tank. It's the only way to do it. I'm consistently at 24 or less. I've been driving the same way for 35 yrs, thanks but no thanks for the driving tips. You must be one of the lucky ones who gets good gas mileage. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't know if you've heard but Hyundai's stock has dropped because of false gas estimates, and there are already law suits started. Here's a tip...sell the Elantra and get a scooter.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    I've been driving the same way for 35 yrs, thanks but no thanks for the driving tips.
    Driving experience <> driving efficiently. Most people don't drive as efficiently as they think they do. Since you haven't yet demonstrated that you are knowlegeable about driving efficiently, I'm inclined to think that's where the problem lies.
    You must be one of the lucky ones who gets good gas mileage.
    Plenty of people getting good mileage. The fuel logs at fuelly.com shows the 2011-2013 Elantras averaging 30 MPG.
  • Like I said I drive all my cars the same and they're all in the ballpark...I don't need a car that I have to count ten before I stop or apply my brakes, I'll never get anywhere.

Maybe people are getting 30, that must be highway..a far cry from 40!
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    Maybe people are getting 30, that must be highway..a far cry from 40!
    The 30 MPG average is combined hwy/city.
    I don't need a car that I have to count ten before I stop or apply my brakes, I'll never get anywhere.
    Does driving faster to a stop light get you through the stop light faster?

The goal of the counting exercise is to maximize the chance of not having to stop at the stop light because getting the car to move from a stopped position burns the most fuel. Not only that, you're wasting fuel when you're idle waiting for the light to turn green. The more you can minimize the stop & go city driving, the better your fuel efficiency.
  • Who ever said I driving faster to a stop light, you're just assuming. I guess you didn't really read my earlier post...I also have a Corolla (27/35) and I'm averaging 27 or better. Same driving, same gas station. So if I apply your driving tips maybe my Corolla will get the 40.
    I understand your whole concept but this thread is about the proven fact that the Elantra is not meeting the predicted mpg. I don't know where you live but have you heard the news lately, even their stock tumbled last week due to mpg ratings, If I could only get 27 (without driving like my grandfather) I'd be happy.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    I'd question your judgement in getting a new car based solely on 2 MPG difference unless you drive much more than average.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,000
    Who said the "sole" reason he got a new car was to get two more mpg? I read his post to say he gave his Corolla to his son and bought a new car that on paper who give him as good or better mpg than his Corolla and he is getting much worse on the same commute and driving habits. Did he suddenly become a lot different type of driver because he got a new car? IMO most people tend to take it easy on a brand new car for awhile.
  • keyser2keyser2 Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    I've owned three Hyundai's. While reliable, they were never competitive with rivals regarding gas mileage. I bought a new '07 Toyota RAV4 at the same time a friend bought a Santa Fe. I average 24 mpg in urban/suburban driving and my friend claims about 19. Pathetic!! Hyundai doesn't have their drivetrain tuning down like more established brands, including American
  • Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, if it has I apologize. But I found out a few days ago that Hyundai is offering a fuel reimbursement for certain models and years. I drive a 2011 Elantra, and I was qualified. The amount you receive will depend on your location (gas prices are different in each area) and your mileage. This is the site my father told me about: https://hyundaimpginfo.com/ Just put in your VIN number and then will let you know if you qualify, and then there is a 1-877 number to call for more info. Apparently, they will mail you a claim form and then we take it to the dealership and they will give us something else. Then we have to mail it back. Then they will send a debit card. For my reimbursement, I'm only getting back about $65 but another friend is getting back almost $200 for his 2011 Elantra.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm fairly certain that Hyundai did not notify me. I never received an email, letter in the mail, or phone call. I just heard through word of mouth. I have two other friends that also drive Hyundai's, and they were never told about this reimbursement program either.

Sarah
  • mbnymbny Posts: 1
    I have purchased brand new 2013 Elantra on 11/03/12, the next day after the reimbursement news was released. But at that time when I purchased the car, I did not know the news regarding reimbursement and the sales person did not mention anything about it. Even the mileage sticker on the car with the price indicated still the wrong mileage information, 29/40, and the car was promoted with the good mileage by a sales person. On 11/04/12, I picked up the car and after that, I found that news of reimbursement. I contacted via email to Hyundai because the vin number of my new car is not eligible for reimbursement. Hyundai said in order to be it eligible the purchase had to be completed before 11/02/12, when the news was released. I advocated that I did not know the news, the sales man did not say anything about it and the sticker was on the car. They did not listen to me. Hyundai fools customers well..
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Not sure but think the Rav 4 is quite a bit smaller & weighs a good amount less than a Santa Fe. Compare comperable weight Toyota's and Hyundai's. Toyota may still have an advantage but not by much.
  • Wow, that is just ridiculous. I emailed the finance manager last night where I bought my car asking why the Hyundai owners haven't been properly notified about this, and I haven't heard back yet. Not sure I will.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,722
    Since you have the window sticker that says 29/40 and no paperwork from Hyundai that says otherwise (right?), you should have a strong case to get the reimbursement. It was up to Hyundai to notify you as a new Elantra buyer about the new mpg rating. They didn't.

If I were you I'd take this up the chain at Hyundai, starting with the GM of the dealership.
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    edited November 2012
    I didn't say 2 gallons..read the post, more like 6 to 8 gallons and thats combined mileage. On a car that says 29/40, I should get at least 30 combined. I'm getting 24 sometimes 22 combined. There's something very wrong.
  • Sara you should be receiving your letter in the mail any time now. I received mine in the mail on the 14th. Your friend may be receiving more money if they drive more miles than you do. It's based on the number of miles you have already placed on your Elantra.
  • Yeah, I received it yesterday. But I'm a little confused. The guy on the phone last week told me to take it to a dealership. But there is nothing on the letter or claim form for a dealership to sign anything. So do you know what we need to do with this claim form?

Yeah, my friend down in Florida has a lot more miles on his Elantra then I do!
  • secorsecor Posts: 11
    In the reimbursement letter I received, Hyundai is telling us their EPA estimates were off by 1-2 MPG. The best I've gotten on the highway is 34 MPG (that's all highway). Not sure why the variation in mileage I've seen on these posts but I think the majority of us are very dissatisfied with the mileage. Wish I had my Sante Fe back. At least that EPA estimate was accurate and was a much nicer vehicle.
    But there is nothing on the letter or claim form for a dealership to sign anything. So do you know what we need to do with this claim form?

Maybe the dealer will enter the mileage info into a computer app for processing, hence no "form".

At any rate, you won't be the only person going to the dealer about this so they should know what to do when you come in. Be sure to ask for a free wash while you're there. ;)
  • I bought my GT with auto 4 months ago and there are numerous things I really like about the car- sunroof is fantastic, power and heated seat is comfortable, and the car is the best looking of the hatches in my opinion. I also considered the Golf, Focus, Mazda 3.
    However, the debacle with the gas mileage still really ticks me off. I continue getting a lot lower than the EPA (avg 25 mpg) even though I am driving much more conservatively than usual and DID buy this car as a daily driver based on gas mileage as a big factor. Granted I live in an urban area with traffic and hills (San Fran Bay) but my last 3 cars have always met or exceeded their EPA numbers under the same driving (actually driving less conservatively). I can understand folks saying it is only 2 mpg and a few on this site are actually hitting the numbers. My 08 Lexus IS 250 only averages 2 mpg less in same driving. The point is Hyundai fudged the numbers and they deserve the bad press they are getting regardless of the spin they put on it. I will let it go since I refuse to take the $$ hit of getting rid of a new car but am upset that I bought the car with false info provided by Hyundai and the EPA can't be counted on to back it up. Granted only 2 car models (not brands) have been called on this in the past by the EPA but as a wise consumer I resent being manipulated by any corporation and when I find out about it they lose any future business and respect. Sorry Hyundai, I had been singing your praises before. Getting caught and offering minor reparations does not eliminate your manipulation of the buying public. Apparently, those of us who are pissed are not alone:

&#145;Burning up&#146; over Hyundai mileage misrepresentations - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register
  • No way! The last time I got a free wash (a few weeks ago when they fixed the heat shield) they did a horrible job! They missed a bunch of places and then didn't fully dry the car. I'd rather spend money on the car wash down the street! :)
    That sucks. I am lucky both the Hyundai dealer I use for my two Hyundais and the Nissan dealer I use for my Sentra have great washes. The Nissan dealership has a hand wash. The Nissan dealership is paired with a MB dealership so not only do they offer free washes, anytime you want, but also free chair massages and free manicures on specific days of the week. I haven't tried those yet. :)
  • Free chair massages and free manicures? Nice! Maybe I'll drive to your dealership instead! :)
  • My wife purchased a '13 Limited in September. It now has 1,500 miles on it. According to the onboard trip computer the most she has achieved is 36 mpg. That's 70 - 75 mph, no air-con driving Hwy 101 from Thousand Oaks to Carpenteria CA.

We both love the car and did not purchase for MPG. Still, you can't help but notice a 10% shortfall.
  • 70 to 75 is not the most common speed limit so imagine how bad it is for those drivers.
    The Elantra is a terrible city car be glad you have more highway than city.
    36 mpg, or 2 mpg under the EPA highway number (4 under the old number) is actually pretty good at those speeds. FE drops off over 60 mph or so.
  • I've read the numerous messages about the EPA MPGs not being achieved by most drivers, but I think there is one big factor that isn't being acknowledged, and that is a new engine will not achieve its best mileage until its been "broken in"; usually about 10k mileage. Also, other factors have to be taken into consideration: driving habits and the percentage of hwy vs city driving. Unless you're driving a hybrid the city driving will always have a negative impact on the mileage. Also, if you're driving most flat, straight road you're most likely to achieve the highest mileage, whereas if you're dealing with alot of hills, and twists'n turns, you're going to see mileage affected because of the change in RPMs - straight, flat lanes your RPMs are going to be consistent and therefore achieving better MPGs. I've got about 650 miles on my 2013 GLS-PZEV Elantra, and have averaged 32.6 mpg - but I also that I most of my commute driving is hwy and not during regular commute hours, so I'm able to maintain a consistent speed 60-65 - using both the ECO and cruise control. :shades: Give the cars a chance to break-in properly, and don't drive agressively, and you should see an improvement in your mileage.
  • We are only getting back an estimated $40 after driving 10,000. I would hardly call that a reimbursement.

That is about 1 fill up or about 320 miles. If they were off by 2 mpg and are adding an additional 15% for inconvenience then I would think I should be getting back, at a minimum, enough to purchase 1000 miles of fuel.

I guess they are offering this as a cheaper alternative to facing lawsuits.
  • deanb01deanb01 Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    Found on Wikipedia, "fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual". In the case of Hyundai, damage to other auto manufactures resulting in Hyundai market share gain. Or, would they have sold 900,000 units without mistating MPG.

10 years ago Hyundai "mistated" horsepower ratings on the 2002 Santa Fe. Their mia culpa then was debit cards and 1-year increased warranty protection.

They are getting good at this, but we keep buying their products anyway. ;)