Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• walt750walt750 Posts: 2
    My Last car: 07 Toyota Corolla - Rated at 36 and with not even thinking about it got an average of 34 mpg at the pump. I liked it very much for that reason. It didn't have all the fancy new equipment. It was a work car after all. The 2012 Elantra is a step up in a "work car". More than I really pictured or needed for my commute. But I still bought it for the rated mileage. It had the looks and the EPA rating. So after the first few weeks, I was disappointed ... getting 28-32 mpg was shortening my time between the pumps (Not a good thing) The Corolla was 1 once every work week fill up... the Elantra ... every 4 days. Ok, so today ... something different. I hit 40+ on the built in MPG monitor on the way home. Hopefully a glimpse of good things to come. It made me feel better about my car. I even posted a video of the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ05rl8jjpc
    ">link title
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    Your statement was, "Satisfied people rarely participate on these internet boards..."

Which is ridiculous. Several other members have posted that they can achieve the EPA ratings in a new Elantra.
  • I hated the 2012 Elantra I used to have (originally got it because I was told how wonderful it was by lots of family friends that owned them, come to find now that none of them come close to 40mpg either). Driving 70mph in the flats of California's central valley never got me more than 33mpg. Normally I averaged 32.5mpg per tank with mostly highway driving. A month ago I sold the Elantra and bought myself a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv. On the same Bay Area to Sacramento drive I get 42-43mpg in the Mazda driving the exact same way I used to in the Elantra, and per tank have been averaging 38mpg. My relatives (who bought the Elantra from me) recently took it from the Bay Area to San Diego. They told me the best mileage they ever got was 32.5mpg. Overall the Mazda is a much superior car. The only areas the Elantra is better in are more rear knee-room (although less leg extension room), more trunk room, and slightly grabbier brakes. The interior of the Elantra feels cheaper and dysfunctional compared to that of the Mazda, but does have more storage. One thing that also really disappointed me with the Elantra were the dim headlights and high-beams that were focused too much in the centerline of the car, which made them useless around turns as you had no light on your peripheries.

The only 2012 Elantra owner I've talked to in person that ever achieved 40mpg was going 50mph on I5... Any faster and he said his mpg dropped off quickly.
  • I purchase my 2012 Elantra Limited earlier this year because of the 40 MPG highway rating. this car replaced a VW Jetta TDI which I loved and got the 44 mpg it was rated at. I try to do my homework before I purchase. With that said Hyandia saw me comming. The car is not what I expected but the worst of the problem is the mpg. Based upon the mpg I got with my last two cars I expected to get close to the hwy MPG on the sticker. I don't even get close. I average 29 mpg highway. If I drive in th city it is much worse. I have a 2008 2500 dodge Ram diesel that gets 20 mpg hwy. I thought there was something wrong because the car just doesn't seem to have the power it should down shifting at the slightest incline and it seem to have dead spots. But after taking it back to the dealer they informed me that there was nothing wrong with the car and that no one is getting the 40 mpg listed. My next step was to right th EPA to try and understand the process of how the mpg is calculated. They informed me that there is a formula that each manufacturer is required to follow but it is not strickly monitored.
    After 21k miles on this car I am looking to get out of it. Any other suggestions besides Hyandia?
  • walt750walt750 Posts: 2
    What is wrong with the Jetta today? I too looked at the Jetta .. perhaps not hard enough.

I have always liked toyota. But the mileage numbers have not changed (actually have gone down) in the recent years.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    If you recently bought a Hyundai or Kia, a reporter would like to learn what you cross-shopped. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 27, 2012 with details and your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I recently took a loss to get out of a new Elantra Limited. I can tell you for sure that if you purchase this car based on 40mpg highway you will be dissapointed. I have owned over 10 cars and always got what EPA said or better. On the Highway I could only get 33.1 with over 1000 miles driven on this car. Suspension is bouncey, Steering is always wandering and needs small corrections constantly on long trips this actually becomes annoying. Engineering is weak on this car. I went out and purchased a Jetta GLI with 2.0 Turbo with 200hp and right of the bat I recieved 35 mpg highway and I was passing cars that were going slow, Something I didnt dare try to do with the Elantra with the lack of power on a two lane highway, and if I did I blew any chance of getting even 32 mpg on the highway. I am an exprianced driver and I can tell you unless you have the most ideal conditions you will never average 40 mpg Highway. And dont be fooled by people using the computer results when they get on a smooth part of the highway and set there cruise at 55 mph and then reset the calculating computer. That is not real gas mileage. I feel I was swindled by this car and the gas mileage and it cost me a pretty penny to get out of it. But I am happy now not driving it. I couldnt get out of it fast enough!
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Please understand that your experience doesn't reflect that of others. My wife hit - and sustained - 40 in her Limited a couple of weeks ago under less-than-ideal circumstances: 71MPH, AC on, and E10 gas. Granted, the 40 is based on what the computer said but even accounting for it reading a couple of MPG high, if we'd turned off the AC & slowed down a little it would have been higher.

The suspension is firm. I suppose one might call it bouncy, but we far prefer firm to floaty. Her car's steering is dead-on. No wandering at all. Are your roads grooved by any chance?

Sounds like you're something of a power junkie so the Elantra probably wouldn't have been a good fit for you in the long run.

I hope you enjoy your Jetta. I see a base GLI costs about as much as a fully loaded Elantra Limited and about $7,000 more than a base Elantra. Comparably equipped/loaded the GLI w/nav is about $4500 more than an Elantra Limited w/Tech. So while the MPG you achieve may be marginally better, you won't make up the difference in purchase price. But as long as you enjoy the ride, paying a little more for the pleasure can certainly be worthwhile.
  • If you are using the computer you are not getting the real results. I have been driving for 30 years and have owned nearly every brand of car that is of the usual consumer, foriegn or domestic. IF you ever owned a german car and understood the quality and feel of a precisely engineered vehicle you might understand more of what the Elantra lacks? I do hope you are getting the MPG that the computer is telling you, but unless you take it the old fashioned way buy taking the gallons used into your mileage you will never truly know? I seen a big difference in the two on the highway. Again if you wait until you get on the highway at speed and reset you surely will see positive results that will slowly drop over time, but that is just not what you are really getting for MPG. I am glad however you enjoy your car. There are many more people on here have an issue with trying to get 40 mpg, and then it also could be some cars in the production do and others dont? But again that would point to a lack of engineering perfection.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited April 2012
    Max: agree with your comment on the computer MPG. Felt compelled to reply to your comment on German vs. other imports. I have driven for over 50 years and have to say that some of the best cars we had were Japanese in terms of value, durability, reliabilty and ergonomics. Comparing the Elantra to a comparable price German car would be tough since that would be an Opel, Voklswagen or whatever they sell for $20,000. Consumer mags have been pretty tough on the big name German cars we all know. VERY expensive to buy, drive and maintain and poor overall grades for quality - esp. long term with VERY high maintenance costs for the A's, B's and M's of the world. Guess if you pay $40-$80,000 for a car you don't care since you get free maintenance for 3 years at that price. The current Korean cars are getting pretty good consumer's comments and for the price are often deemed value vehicles - that term applies to few German made "upscale" machines.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    If you are using the computer you are not getting the real results.

There is a potential for that, yes. Trip computers can be off by as much as a couple of MPG. But I already countered that argument by stating that the 40 reported by the computer represented suboptimal conditions. There's no reason to think the number reported wouldn't be higher if conditions were better.

I am glad however you enjoy your car.

As I stated it is my wife's car, not mine. If it were mine I'd be able to tell you the exact MPG as I track economy (via miles driven/gallons consumed, not the TC) and vehicle expenses on my cars with a spreadsheet. My V6 AWD CUV, for instance, has a lifetime MPG of 21.15 but my last tank got 24.13. EPA is 20 overall/24 highway so in the grand scheme of things I'm exceeding expectations.

IF you ever owned a german car and understood the quality..

Nope. Never have and probably never will. Literally everyone I've ever known who has owned a VW loved the car but would never buy another due to reliability issues. And every issue was a few hundred bucks in repairs. That speaks wonders about German quality, at least from one manufacturer. They all - every last one of them - replaced their German cars with Asian cars.

There are many more people on here have an issue with trying to get 40 mpg..

In terms of active posters, yes. In terms of numbers of Elantra owners who are dissatisfied, we really don't know. There are perhaps 10 or 20 dissatisfied owners who post here. Maybe more. I haven't counted. But Hyundai is selling around 15K Elantras a month, give or take.

And many folks are failing to account for the 40MPG being just part of the actual range, which is something like 34-43MPG highway. Anything in that range is considered normal by the DoE.

..and then it also could be some cars in the production do and others dont? But again that would point to a lack of engineering perfection.

Or it would point to the various reasons that have been pointed out time and time again as to why people might not be getting the economy they expected. Or a bad batch of parts from a supplier.

Automotive engineering perfection has yet to be achieved. By any company.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    IF you ever owned a german car and understood the quality and feel of a precisely engineered vehicle you might understand more of what the Elantra lacks?

What I can't understand is, why did you ever buy an Elantra in the first place? Since you love German engineering and needed 40+ mpg, I would think you would have gone for the Jetta or Golf TDI.

I do appreciate the Golf and it's on my shopping list for my next car. But I don't like diesels, so I could never hit 40 mpg in the 2.5L Golf. But I know I could do that in the Elantra, because I've done it. For the few miles a year I drive, 35 mpg highway in the Golf is close enough.
  • ronnomadronnomad Posts: 11
    Continuation of my last post #405

Just took a round trip Mesa, AZ - Tucson, AZ. Most driving on I10 where speed limit is mostly 75MPH (a few construction zones where it drops to 65). The speed limit on most of the other Hwys in the Phoenix area are set at 65MPH. Tucson (for those not familiar) has no city Hwy system (all streets with traffic lights and speed limits of 40-45 MPH). In addition to the Elantra's readouts, I also took my Garmin out of the Jetta for comparisons sake and the fact that the Garmin has a trip computer.

Some facts: I took the info from the Garmin when we arrived at our initial destination in Tucson and then again when I refueled at home.

OUT BACK Elantra
    Distance...................... 115.9 126.5 237.9
    Overall AVG MPH........... 53.4 46.0 51.0
    Moving AVG MPH........... 59.5 51.8
    Max Speed.................... 82.3 76.9
    Stopped Time (min)....... 13.5 18.3

The two Max Speed number were both passing situations and lasted less than 30 seconds. Otherwise, based on the Garmin's satellite readout, I never exceeded the speed limit.

According to the Elantra's readout, for the entire trip we averaged 33.6MPG.
    Based on the amount of fuel used, the average was 33.46MPG. I did find it interesting that according to the Garmin the distance traveled came to 242.4 miles (4.5 additional miles or just under 2% more). But, if that is correct, it changes the fuel economy to 34.1MPG.

Another pieces of info. There were only 2 of us in the car (together we weight under 260) and the AC was on. At 75MPH the Tach indicated approximately 2,500RPM. Drove very conservatively...no jack rabbit starts...slowly built up to speed limits and kept in highest gear possible (no abrupt downshifts...except for the passing situations). I did notice that, at the beginning of the trip, once I got on the first 65MPH road (about 6 miles into the trip) that the AVG MPG indicator was creeping up past 34MPG but then dropped once the speed limit went up.

So, what do I take from all of this? Still not getting the MPG expected (especially when considered against how aggressively I drive the Jetta which, at the same 75MPH speed, would be turning about 3,500RPM and I still would be getting 30+MPG). Even if we could have averaged 35MPG, that is still 13% below the EPA estimate of 40MPG.

I will say this. I probably would be less focused on the fuel economy if the car was more 'fun' to drive. But, it really does not handle that well; has three obvious (and in certain instances, dangerous) blind spots; automatically downshifts on the gentlest slopes; and the SAT/NAV system is a joke (on this trip it directed me to a route that was 30 miles and 45 minutes longer than my Garmin - not the first time this has happened).
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Don't understand why you think you should have averaged 40mpg. Your trip included surface streets, stop lights, idle time and on the freeway portions you were probably at around 70mph or more most of the time. I believe the Elantra EPA combined number is around 33. Your combined mpg for the trip was over that so why would you complain about that? Or am I missing something?
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Great point about the combined mileage result and EPA estimate. Too bad the manufacturers mainly tout the highway mileage figure, so that uninformed consumers wrongly get the impression that their car should be getting 40 MPG overall when it is only a highway estimate. The EPA combined number is really the one most drivers should be shooting for. I'm getting about that, in light of my heavily city-weighted stop/start short-trip driving. Is a bit odd to see people reselling their Elantra so soon (both because the car's engine does need to break in and they are likely selling at a loss) for more expensive cars in order to achieve next to nothing...3-5 more MPG highway. They won't ever recover the additional expense. Is that penny wise pound foolish?
    Agree that people should be more informed and realistic. However, I suspect very few have taken a huge loss by trading in an almost new car just because of gas mpg. It sounds like there were other things about the car that they personally didn't like after owning it for awhile that they may have overlooked if they were getting better mpg.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    What the Consumer Reports tests confirm for me is that most cars (whether it be Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Chevy, etc) are not going to get the EPA estimated city numbers. Highway, is seems most cars are close. It just comes down to all these other variables and I suspect more people just fixate way to much on the EPA estimates (which are, at the end of the day, estimates).

Since moving to Minnesota and doing more city driving (especially shorter trips in very cold weather) I watched the MPG numbers on my Mazda 3 and Honda Odyssey plummet. Was I happy? No. But I understood why. Not exactly ideal driving conditions and I have learned that those shorter trips (lots of stopping and going) in cold weather are a mpg killer. Also letting your car idle for 10 minutes to warm up when it is 20 below is a killer...

What is odd about the Elantra is you have a high number of people getting at or near the EPA estimates, and what seems like a high number of people not hitting the numbers or coming close. It is very strange.
    edited April 2012
    Especially the high number of people that achieved the hwy EPA numbers with prior autos and can't come close to the hwy EPA numbers in the new Elantra even driving more conservatively than they did in their old vehicles. Anyone can understand a big difference if they move to a different part of the country and have vastly different commutes and temp conditions. But when you change nothing but the vehicle and can't get similar results it ends up with a lot of people scratching their heads.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Agreed. It is odd. But clearly some people can hit the numbers without changing their driving techniques.. So you can't completely blame the car or nobody would be able to achieve the EPA numbers. Just odd.

I am driving an Elantra loaner car while my Genesis Coupe is getting 3M Clearshield installed.

Not a bad car. I really like the exterior styling and the interior is nice. This car has over 5K miles on it and the trip computer says 32.7MPG average (and I am guessing most people who drive the loaner are doing a mix of city/highway like me). It has decent acceleration and the handling is actually better than I expected (I liked it better than the non-SE Sonata model I drove).
  • ronnomadronnomad Posts: 11
    I didn't think I was implying that I should have gotten 40MPG. But, if 90% of the driving was at HWY speeds, I would have expected 35+. As I have previously posted, on a trip from Las Vegas to Phoenix with all HWY driving (in other words, filled tank; got on HWY; got off HWY, filled tank) the best I could achieve was 33.6MPG. The car now has an additional 3K miles since that trip and maybe there is a fractional increase in the MPG but still not what was implied.