Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• Anything is "possible". But, are the EPA test procedures new to these guys? Does the EPA change the test procedures that frequently? How many years practice in S. Korea on each years Kia & Hyundai new models will it take?

In the meantime, let's misstate the results of our testing misinterpretations, put competition at an unfair disadvantage and in doing so sell a few more thousand units.

Thanks to a few irratated owners they got busted with their hand in the cookie jar, simple as that.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    It's called gilding the lilly, going too far trying to make a great new car more fetching. Hyundai was so desperate to get new models into production and shipped, they threw something into the stew that didn't need to be added. Now, Hyundai and Kia dealers have padded prices in the extreme trying to make the models look unbeatable, Such nonsense as $399 mudflaps and $999 sales fees.

You want to see and hear what those cars are really like, listen carefully to the video reviews on YouTube.com, listen to how the doors crash when closed, the tin-like trunk lids and hoods. If they got 100 mpg I'm not sure I would buy one. The 40mpg they are touting is no big deal. Buy a used Honda Civic with 5-speed stick and drive it moderately fast, it will happily give you 40mpg. My 1994 Civic did. :D
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    The test I would really like to see: what those glass roofs and the cars' interiors look like after a Texas thunderstorm with golf-ball size hail. Doesn't Korea have hailstorms?
  • Great question about "refusing the debit card". Has the EPA or the US Government for that matter accepted Hyundai's mia culpa? Hyundai should be slapped with fines & penalties far beyond the debit cards, and each owner should get a piece of that too.

There are consumer class actions pending now with obviously more to follow. Other auto manufacturers should also sue Hyundai based on deceptive advertising to gain market share.

Hyundai sold 900,000 units based largely on false advertising. In the court of public opinion they violated terms of their parole from previous "misstatements" and bogus claims that are nothing less than fraud.

Obviously they want the debit card holders & bad press to disappear as quickly as possible. They will pay dearly, but little of that will go directly to Elantra owners.
  • tcb74tcb74 Posts: 7
    No thanks one Elantra is enough:) Try to fill up and reset your trip counter and then do the math when you fill up again. You might have a problem with the computer. 24 mpg. Combined sounds very low.
  • That's the only way I do it...can't rely on the computer. I've had the car a year now and it's a consistent 24 combined....just ridiculous!
  • So, I bought the 2011 Elantra Limited because I got sold mainly on the mileage. The car was nicely equipped and a really good price, but i never was fully satisfied because of the mpg issue. I ended up averaging 30mpg overall with a 60/40 highway/city mix over 18000 miles (I should be getting about $75 back once my reimbursement clears). Which compared to some is still pretty darn good.

If i had bought the Elantra because I just really loved the car, I'd still own it today probably. But my main reason was the mpg, and I stupidly couldnt get over it like a bad breakup. So I ended up trading it in for a 2012 Jetta TDI with a stick shift. In which i average 39.9 in the same mix over 13500 miles.

If you are considering an Elantra, look at the cost benefits, the value for the money and the styling, and consider the mpg numbers as another feature, and you'll probably never second guess your choice like i did (plus i went from stick for 10 years to an automatic, and just missed having a manual, so that was another factor for tradein).
  • I agree. I'm sure a lot of people who have been making noise about this issue are feeling vindicated but NOT compensated.

I think they are trying to escape a massive lawsuit that would be much more money. I think it's pretty clear the U.S. government looked the other way, perhaps to give them a foothold in the market here (jobs, etc. being the payoff). And now that the mileage problem has gone from a few disgruntled customers to a collective roar they are doing a minimal 'fix' and lying about how it happened and getting a little slap on the wrist from the government. Not only have people lost faith in Hyundai, but also for the authority of the EPA. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this whole thing was planned and pre-calculated into their profit numbers from the get-go....better known as 'the cost of doing business'.
    Their legal solution doesn't come close to compensating for BOTH past and future losses due to owning a much less gas efficient car than was stated. They have lost me as a future customer but I still will be living with this less gas efficient vehicle for several more years. There ought to be something worked out for those wanting to unload their Hyundai or KIA.
    I want out of this contract so I can purchase a PRIUS.

Just saw this article about Hyundai/KIA compensation today -
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/hyundai-and-kia-to-compensate-consumers-for-over- stating-mileage-claims.html
  • eweinereweiner Posts: 36
    Cant tell you how many jerks here and on other sites were so totally convinced that the poor mileage was due to improper driving.

Hyundai's admission shut them up quick.

Hyundai has still understated the issue. I rarely get the combined EPA milage on my Elantra even when a lot of my miles are highway.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    I think it's pretty clear the U.S. government looked the other way, perhaps to give them a foothold in the market here (jobs, etc. being the payoff).

Ridiculous. Even if the U.S. government wanted to pay off an automaker to add jobs, why select a foreign automaker that already had two factories in the U.S. with no near-term plans to add another?

It's comments like that that make it difficult to take complaints about FE seriously. Those kind of comments only bring down those from people who have legitimate complaints, e.g. due to a defect in their car.

And if you wanted the FE of a hybrid like the Prius... you should have purchased a hybrid in the first place.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,681
    edited January 2013
    these people compaining about FE are tiresome, at most. Give it a rest and enjoy your Hyundai/Kia motorcar.

And if you wanted the FE of a hybrid like the Prius... you should have purchased a hybrid in the first place.

Automakers are bought off...umm...I mean very, very slow to make automobiles that actually save consumers fuel cost money. Or electrical costs if you own an all-electric. It's just going to be a long haul. Most of us have realized this and have just been enjoying our rigs for the 2000-2013 era of making rigs that are about saving ghastly money. Let's face it, iluvmysephia1 calls gasoline "ghastly" for a reason...it's cost is absolutely ghastly. </b

There's no other way to deal with it. Too much money for the fuel here! It's really irritating! And carmakers are bought off...whoops...I...mean just can't seem to make rigs that get 100 smiles per gallon. You'd have to gerry rig your Hyundai/Kia's engine to do that. Wouldn't you? :blush:

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    Last tank update:

2011 Elantra GLS Auto with 22650 miles.

Indicated mpg (dash display): 34.8/pumped refuel average 33.1 mpg

Average mph: 28 mph (mostly city driving)

Display seems to be consistently about 2 mpg "optimistic."

I could not be happier with my Elantra. It's roomier, quieter, more efficient and better looking (subjectively, I know) than my wife's 2010 Civic EX.

I would recommend this car to anyone and I have.

Question for eweiner: Is anyone else who disagrees with you or has had great mileage with their Elantra a "jerk?"

I applaud Hyundai for their fine automobile. They have done a superb job.

YMMV (literally)
  • My 2011 Elantra Limited never got the gas mileage that was promised. That made me very unhappy but I took the MPG Debit card deal. Then I needed new tires! I didn't want performance tires which, apparently, the car is designed to have. they are not practical for the type of driving I do ( highway....65 miles per day). So, after much searching, I picked a tire that was not performance and would fit the car and would give me a decent amount of mileage if I take care of the car. Now my mpg has gone down from a high of 34 to barely making 29. I HATE this car.
  • Backy - In my experience on this forum it seems that you had great difficulty accepting even 'legitimate' complaints. Or maybe you could spell out which complaints you found legitimate as it seems no one's negative personal experiences with their car was acceptable by your standards either.
    I think my own credibility is intact having, for instance, predicted lawsuits for Hyundai over this issue many moons ago. If you choose to play Pollyanna for Hyundai and the U.S. government I guess that is your choice (or job?) but I think most would not openly claim such a naive understanding of how business, in general, really works.
    While I don't (yet) claim any specific knowledge of this kind of 'backroom agreement' between the U.S. gov and Hyundai, I think it naive to not consider it as a factor. Is it so outrageous to suggest that our government might have been lenient with Korea on the eve of a hard won Free Trade Agreement which focused mainly on agriculture and auto sales issues, a kind of NAFTA EAST? Do deals such as this get convoluted and corrupted by so many interests, players, and pieces? Yes, of course they do. Might this somehow have played into the government's handling of Hyundai's business in the U.S. ? I suggest at least reading up on the Free Trade Agreement with Korea before responding.
    And assuming we can agree on the fact that Hyundai knew its mileage info and advertising were untrue, do you think they might have figured the down side of that calculated risk into their profits/losses?
    Their payout for this lie is so low relative to the losses incurred by consumers that it is laughable. Maybe someone can crunch some numbers about their profits vs. their losses as a result of the lawsuits. I think it's pretty clear that this is a very small financial 'dent in their bumper', although I wonder if they also calculated the anger and loss of customer loyalty into their plan?
    One of their selling points was that a purchaser could count on a good return on resale for this car due to its great mileage and popularity. I doubt that will be the case, so I think Hyundai should also be forced to pay out a fixed rate for resale of anyone wishing to dump their cars. At the very least this loss at the back end should also be calculated into a compensation package.
  • Hyundai is trying very hard to nip this rash of lawsuits in the bud by its compensation offerings. But they fall far short of the 'real' losses incurred by customers. In this latest lawsuit, they spell out the kind of compensation that is more in alignment with those real losses:

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/16807685-418/more-area-consumers-suing-hy- undai-over-inflated-fuel-economy.html

Monday&#146;s suit demands reimbursement of the full cost of the vehicle to owners, and seeks to force Hyundai to turn over its profits from the sale of the vehicles. The suit also aims to halt what it calls &#147;false advertising&#148; about mileage claims, and asks the carmaker to &#147;disseminate an informational campaign to correct its misrepresentations and material omissions.&#148;
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Or maybe you could spell out which complaints you found legitimate as it seems no one's negative personal experiences with their car was acceptable by your standards either.

Sure. IMO, a legitimate complaint is one that is backed by efforts to determine if the vehicle is capable of attaining its EPA ratings. I have posted umpteen times in these FE discussions a fairly simple process to do that. Not once--never--has someone come back and told us the results of that test. That told me something about the complaint.

Why do I think it's important to determine if a vehicle is capable of attaining its EPA ratings, if the owner isn't achieving them? Because of something that many people who complain about fuel economy forget: YMMV. There's LOTS of reasons someone is not getting the EPA ratings on a car. There could be a defect in the car. There could be something else wrong with the car, e.g. got a bad batch of gas or someone tried to put E15 in it (which Hyundai says is a no-no). It could be driven in conditions not at all comparable to how the EPA runs its tests. It could be due to how the car is driven. etc.

So the first step is to determine if the car CAN meet its EPA rating. If not, figure out why it isn't, with help from the dealer and manufacturer. If you determine the car can meet its EPA ratings, then figure out what if anything can be done to driving habits/style to improve FE. Maybe there isn't anything that can be done; maybe there is but the driver is unable or unwilling to make the necessary adjustments.

FWIW, I have driven this car. In what I consider very much "real world" conditions: in Austin, TX, in mid-summer (100+ degree weather), combination of downtown, suburban, and urban highway driving. A lot of stop and go, not much cruising. And on a nearly-new car I easily exceeded the EPA numbers. And I wasn't trying as hard to save gas as I do on my own cars, as I didn't have to pay for the gas. But put a different driver behind the wheel of the same car, and the odds are pretty good it would NOT hit the EPA number.

And if you've read test reports on the car, e.g. from Popular Mechanics, you'll see they were able to get close to if not meet or exceed the EPA numbers under moderate driving. So it's not just moi.

It can be done. Not everyone has driving patterns that allow it. And for those who do, not all of them will be willing to do what's needed (e.g. light foot on the gas, anticipate stops, no lengthy idling).

Re all the angst about Hyundai restating the FE on the Elantra... do you realize we're talking a difference of one mpg (average) between the old EPA rating and the corrected one? ONE MPG! And that number has been scrutinized and verified by the EPA. So if someone isn't hitting that revised number... methinks they should be looking someplace other than Hyundai for an answer--unless there's a defect in the car.
  • Nice post.

I'd also like to add that most of the complainers probably greatly underestimate the amount of city-like driving they actually do. For example, driving 25 mph with stop-and-go conditions on the freeway during rush hour counts as city driving, not Hwy. This is why you have to also look at the MPH calculation to understand why you're not getting the EPA numbers. If your average MPH is in the 20s, you're driving mostly city.

Another thing that a lot of people don't realize is that with the EPA City test, the avg idle time for a stop sign/light is about 14 secs. In the real world, the idle times can be as much as 180 secs.
  • I certainly understand that the EPA numbers are not promises of MPG. However, the last 4 cars I have purchased (Japanese and German) all met or exceeded their EPA estimates and that is driving in the San Fran Bay Area with traffic, hills and freeways. As well noted in other forums the Hyundai computers in their cars overestimate the MPG by 2 mpg as well. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I do find it very offensive that Hyundai overestimated their EPA sticker numbers and their cars computers and frankly just blamed the drivers for lower EPA until they got caught. I am very pissed that consumers cannot count on the manufacturer (Hyundai) or the EPA in their car buying decisions to provide valid info. The vast majority of drivers are not making Hyundai's numbers (as validated by consumers and the vast majority of car review publications). Just compare what the publications get compared on all of brands of car tests to their EPA numbers and they are always much closer. I think Hyundai's offer of their puny mileage reimbursement is damage control for getting caught. I like my '13 Elantra GT (aside from the MPG) but won't buy another Hyundai. I just don't trust them anymore.
  • 2012 Elantra GLS 25K Miles AVG MPG 27.5 Seattle W.A

First off. This is the twenty first centurey. A 2012 Elantra should get better or as good mpg as my 1990 Honda Civic EX, Avg 34.5 MPG. The Elantra will not even break 30MPG on a early Sunday morning on I.5 at 65MPH wth echo on from Seattle to Tacoma. The Honda 43.5 MPG doing the same trip. Second, the Elantra has come a long ways. Comfertable, decent power, great brakes,reliable. But the rear suspencion recieves a big fail. Conastoga wagon has better. I did not buy this car just for the milage, but was a big part of it.
  • I agree, you cannot rely on just the trip computer. 20k on car. five fill ups from same station, Shell regular gas 10 percent methenal. AVG 27.5 MPG
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    I'm with you on that, I have the car 14 month's and still only get 24 combined....I filled out the form online and they said I would be compensated $14.00, what a joke. When I called they said I need to bring the car in and leave it a few days so they could test it out, but how would I get to work? I'm really not interested...I just want to get rid of it..but I'm stuck with a 3 year lease.
  • I between June 26, 2012 and February 27, 2013 I put 11,769 miles on a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan with the Preferred Equipment package (home link, auto-dimming mirror, heated front seats, etc.) Frankly I LOVED the way the car looked, and compared to the 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan I replaced with it, it was quiet, comfortable, spacious and, on all but the worst of roads, a better handler, as well.

But the one thing it NEVER has been is the equal of the Civic in terms of fuel economy. On the highway, the Civic&#150;driven without any regard for fuel consumption (i.e., between 75 and 85 mph come hell or high water)&#150;consistently delivered 38 mpg. If I was forced to drive nearer the posted limits&#150;such as during the tail end of rush hour&#150;the Civic would console me with as much as 43 mpg. Mixed city/hwy driving ranged from 28 to 32. NEVER, ever did the Civic return less than 26 mpg.

The Elantra? During a 12 mile stretch early one Monday morning coming back from Vancouver BC, I got snarled in nascent rush hour traffic on I-405 South just past Lynnwood that brought me down to between 45 and 55 mph, during which time I averaged 43 mpg on what is essentially a flat stretch of freeway. And that was the last time I saw average mileage greater than 38 mpg INDICATED&#150;which must be emphasized because the indicated mileage is ALWAYS optimistic by no less than 2 mpg. The actual typical highway fuel economy I got was between 34 and 36 mpg if I kept my speed no greater than 65 mph and was lucky enough to not have to climb any hills. You see, the Elantra seems EXTREMELY sensitive to grades. As in "it sucks gas to generate the power necessary to get up even modest inclines."

Unfortunately, everywhere I drive involves cresting some kind of hill (I'm in the lowest part of Redmond, WA, and everything is uphill). Consequently, in city driving, I'm blessed if I can keep the mileage above 20 mpg (22 mpg indicated). Actually, it's not a blessing so much as me devoting myself to driving like an old lady. Which sucks enough that when I started reading that the new Honda Accord&#150;despite being larger; heavier; burdened with larger, drag-inducing 18-inch wheels and tires; and more powerful and comfortable&#150;gets REAL WORLD fuel economy better than my Elantra's REAL WORLD mileage, I went to try one out last week and wound up signing on the dotted line, leaving the Hyundai behind to charm then frustrate somebody else. Guess what, the Accord (I got the Sport sedan) actually DOES get significantly better mileage. In mixed driving so far&#150;the same routes I traveled routinely in my Elantra&#150;it's averaging 32 mpg (compared to 26 mpg max in the Elantra). I know: I'm comparing apples to oranges, but while waiting to take delivery of the Accord, I was giving a spanking new 2013 Honda Civic LX, and for the day that I drove it, it delivered even better fuel economy in the same mixed driving: 38 mpg. On the highway I saw sustained 43 mpg with the "ECON" button engaged. So, anyone concerned with maximum mileage: look beyond the Elantra's pretty face and check out the competition.

Speaking of frustrations (and disappointments), my Elantra didn't age well at all. By the time we parted company, the dash had developed a fistful of consistent creaks and buzzes&#150;centered around that snazzy-looking, multi-part center stack&#150;that drove me crazy! And the beige seats were stain magnets, even if they are relatively easy to clean.
  • creyes1creyes1 Posts: 1
    Oh man I don't know what to tell you. I bought a 2010 Elantra new and have always gotten between 32 and 34 mpg's. Once I decided to use a gasoline additive AND filled my tank with the highest octane stuff. For five full tanks in a row I actually got 38 miles a gallon. Mostly highway driving though.

But at 50,000 miles my tranny did go out. But the warranty covered a new one minus the $180 they charged me to flush it first while they were "guessing" what the problem was.. Other than that no problems.
    The problem I see with that is , I shouldn't have to fill an Elantra with high octane,plus additive. I save that for my BMW, did you ever figure how much you're spending on all of that. My biggest problem is the city miles, I've never driven strictly city...... I'm afraid what I might get, but the 24 combined I'm getting is unacceptable.
  • The discussion centers around the current generation Hyundai Elantra, which bowed for the 2011 model year, not the previous generation such as your 2010 model.

Still, that's a lot of additional expense and trouble, using fuel additives AND high octane gas, to just match the kind of mileage my 2006 Civic easily achieved buzzing along at 3000 rpm and 80-plus MPH on the highway with ARCO 87 octane fuel and a trunk full of luggage and photo gear.
  • knocker81, you probably don't want to know what the city mileage would be like with combined mileage of 24. That's close to my combined mileage, and in the city alone, right after a fill-up, it wasn't uncommon for me to see average mileage in the high teens. Unlike my CVT Accord with a truly effective "ECON" mode, the Elantra's "Active ECO" drivetrain seems not to be efficient enough to recover in cruising/coasting the losses incurred idling at stoplights for sometimes a few minutes in the city. And the efficiency at idle of the Hyundai also seems significantly less (if ever there was a car that would benefit from a start/stop system, the Elantra is it). So, at least here in the mountainous Pacific Northwest, it takes a disproportionate amount of highway driving to balance the potential inefficiencies of city driving. By contrast, between Surrey and Vancouver BC, where city driving comprises fewer and briefer stop lights, and elevation changes are fewer and less extreme, my combined MPG hovered around 33 compared to combined MPG of 25 on Seattle's Eastside.
  • pcjpcj Posts: 1
    I bought my 2012 Elantra in Oct of 2011 and it was one of the first 2012's delivered. I bought it primarily for the promise of good gas mileage. I now have ~15,000 miles on it and I have managed to average over 30 mpg on only 2 tankfuls. One of these was at 30.5 and the second was 31.6. I drive primarily highway back and forth to work (25 mi each way) and generally average about 27 mpg. I am totally disgusted with the car and have made it clear to the dealership that this is the last Hyundai that I, or anyone in my family, will ever own in this lifetime.

What I am doing, and what I would recommend that everyone begin doing, is to tell everyone what you know about your Hyundai. The car companies rely on word of mouth for some of their advertising and sales, and if all of us are good about spreading the word and giving people our honest opinions, it may not help those of us that have already been taken in, but it will help to keep others from making the same mistake. I don't like being lied to to get me to buy a product, so my mission has become to let everyone know about Hyundai's lack of honesty in their marketing campaigns. All we can do, it seems, is to spread the word.
    I agree 100%......I think it's one of the biggest scams in a long time. Can't wait for the lease to be up.
  • I had a loan, but I couldn't wait. I wasn't willing to be a rolling billboard for Hyundai. I traded the Elantra at the first opportunity and haven't suffered a single pang of regret. Good riddance to that pretty but woefully under-engineered and over-promised car. There are so many alternatives that deliver greater real world efficiency that I hope shoppers look beyond sheet metal to make sure their choice can deliver the qualities they prioritize. If you value style over fuel efficiency at the lowest possible cost, the Hyundai may be the way to go. Otherwise, at this point, virtually every other entry in the compact segment offers competitive or superior real world fuel efficiency - many with greater quality.

I hope time flies and you're out of the lease before you know it.
  • pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    Update from the "cruise control" owner.

Round trip DFW/San Antonio. Three adults with luggage and approx 75 mph cruising.

The mpg display showed (believe it or not) 40.2 mpg for the almost 700 mile trip. Some driving around the Alamo City, but mostly hwy.

As usual, the display was overly optimistic. Actual gallons added yielded a mpg of 37.9; still not too bad. If we slowed down, probably could have gotten close to the 40 mpg advertised, if not nailed it.

Normal around town is 34 mpg on the display and 32 by gallons filled.

Couldn't be happier and much better mpg than wife's 2010 Civic EX.