Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    That's common knowledge. The 2001 cutoff means, don't EVER EVER put E15 in a pre-2001 car. Newer cars... check with the manufacturer. E15 is so new only the newest cars will mention it in the owner's manual. If the manual says something about E10 being OK, don't assume E15 is also.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    That's common knowledge.

Common for who? From what I've read previously I thought it was OK to use the E15 in post 2001 vehicles. I think I stay up on auto industry news pretty well so I have to believe the average person doesn't have a clue.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    From what I've read previously I thought it was OK to use the E15 in post 2001 vehicles.

Just do a google on "E15 gasoline" and you'll get several hits about the controversy on whether E15 is safe for post-2001 vehicles. I just did it (again) and the first hit was pretty good:

http://www.startribune.com/local/149444025.html
  • Our 2012 limited is coming up on 6,000 miles.

We avg about 26 mph overall but much of our driving is non highway.

On the rare occasion that I do take a trip I can get 36-40 on the highway. I have just resigned to the fact that 26 is tops based on how we drive our car.

I would love to avg 33 but that is just not realistic.
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    Since you've been tracking the FE for your Elantra, what were your actual results for some of your most recent tankfuls of gas? Say the last 2 or 3 tankfuls?

- What was the average MPH for the tank?
    - How many miles did you drive for the tankful?
    - How many gals of gas did you pump into your tank for the tankful?
    - Are you using ethanol?
    - Do you do a lot of stop and go city driving?
    - How many drivers are there for your car and are they driving similarly?
    - Are you routinely carrying passengers while doing city driving?
    - Are you routinely using A/C while doing city driving?
    - How did your car's computer MPG estimate compare to what you came up with based on actual miles driven and actual gals used?
  • g2iowag2iowa Posts: 123
    September '12 issue of MT has an update on their long-term '12 Elantra. After 9 months and 19,593 miles of driving, MT has only been able to average a woeful 26.8 mpg! Compare to...at just 4 months and 6774 miles MT achieving 24.3 mpg in their '12 Passat 2.5 SEL, which is only EPA'd at 22 city/31 hwy/25 comb. (Their '11 Jetta TDI is at 39.5 mpg after 36,643 miles, with EPA est. at 30/42/34.)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Weren't they the guys who did a test and said yes it really does meet the EPA numbers? :shades:

I"m glad I crossed the Elantra off my list...they made a mistake with the 1.8L Nu. I'm convinced the problem is low end torque: it doesn't have any, which means even a piddling 5% grade means a downshift in most cases, and that hurts FE.

To get good MPGs you have to deeply cut the cruising RPMs and keep them low. But to keep from having to upshift to do anything you have to provide sufficient twist at those low RPMs (the 1000-2500 RPM range) to overcome the gearing and any mild grades, so you can STAY at those low RPMs longer.

Mazda, Nissan, VW, and several others meet their EPA numbers because they provide enough low end torque (and then some in some cases). That Hyundai engine is absolutely torqueless at low RPMs though, so while yeah, it might get high MPGs at cruising RPMs, you can't stay in that cruising RPM range long enough to matter.

I don't think the EPA's treadmill actually simulates driving up or down slopes. Which may be an issue. MPGs are complicated: it's a combination of MPH, grade, and engine RPMs (people forget that it isn't just vehicle speed...guys, 55 MPH at 3000 RPM burns more fuel than 55 MPH at 1500 RPM!)
  • pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    edited July 2012
    BP

I checked out of this discussion several months ago and said I wouldn't comment anymore, but here I am again.

You CAN get the mileage posted on the sticker without too much trouble or effort. I drive it as I have every other car I have ever owned in my 50+ years.
    If I need to step on it, I do. If I can, I use cruise.

I have NEVER gotten less than 30 mpg (based on fuel added, not readout) and I live in DFW (ac on constantly/lots of city driving).

If you "have crossed the Elantra off my list," I take it you have never been an owner, so how are you so "well versed" on the Elantra's engine?

How many miles do you have driving an Elantra?

I am an owner and have been for 15 months and 16,000 miles. I routinely exceed the city mpg and match the hwy mpg.

YMMV, but I am very happy with my mpg.

PS: Wish you the best on your car search, btw. I think you will find "haters" on any mpg car forum. Some get the mpg listed, some don't.
  • bluengoldbluengold Posts: 1
    I'm glad I did not cross the Elantra off my list. Bought a 2013 GLS with preferred package in June. Driving w/AC on, no Eco on, I gotten 33mpg, 32 mpg, & 34 mpg on first three fill-ups as measured by taking miles traveled and dividing by gallon used. The conditions have been a mix of rural, hwy, and city driving. My actual MPG is about 2MPG lower than the computer MPG. My colleague who has a 2012 Elantra got similar results at first, and now matches or exceeds the Govt. MPG rating.
  • Just so everyone knows, I never use 15% ethanol, but according to the dealership, I had 15% ethanol in my tank. So, I just used it all up, went to another gas station(different brand to rule out contamination) and guess what? Still the same MPG. (not just once, but several fill-ups) So, I have come to a conclusion that my low MPG has nothing to do with the supposed 15% ethanol. Also, I did get a chance to fill-up with non ethanol fuel when I was out of town, but only seen a slight increase in MPG. I'm currently averaging 22mpg, vehicle computer states 24. I have noticed a trend, Hyundai falsely reports the MPG's as being 2mpg better than what you are really getting. For the average consumer, this is a great deception, as they think that they are getting better mileage than they really are. For those of us with a bit more smarts, we manually check our fuel mileage at every fill up. I am gas mileage conscious and try my best to coast, slow acceleration, avoid stop and go situations as much as possible, yet I still get an average 22mpg. I can get over 30 when its nothing but highway, but realistically that is not the majority of my driving. So, Hyundai seems to be a hit and miss as far as MPG goes. Some get great, some don't. Maybe it does have something to do with the fuel pump issue like the earlier model Elantra was having. Sounds very similar. But, they have to be aware of the issue, yet turn a blind eye to help the consumer. Plus, they try to deceive us by having the on board computer fudge the numbers (in their favor) by 2 mpg. Sounds like a shady company to me. At this point, they have done nothing to help me out with my low MPG, other than to blame it on bad fuel. Next time I should have it tested the same day by another company and then get them for false reporting. All they did was create a situation where they didn't have to help me and pushed me out the door once again.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    What does the computer say is your avg MPH? You've been asked for that information in previous posts but we haven't seen your response.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited July 2012
    We had a poster on the Lacrosse site that bashed the Buick/GM cars and posted some far out claims and gripes. He actually claimed to have "made GM take back two cars", with his claims of design and production errors - not his own driving habits and nit picking.
    Our Lacrosse gets fantastic MPG (29 highway) for a 4000# car that is great on the road and not perfect but pretty close and the computer is always higher than manual calcs. We bought a 2012 Sonata and same overstatement of computer MPG. The Sonata gets 33MPG at 75+ on the highway with A/C and two adults on two 1500 mile trips. Outstanding car in all respects and the warranty is the best there is.
    Conclusion: Todays car buyers have great choices and given a fair chance, receive good value for what they buy - FYI - Buick was designed in Germany by Opel and built in Kansas City and Sonata was made in Montgomery. Alabama
  • thisisbenjithisisbenji Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    Not necessarily. My Civic runs at between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM on the highway in 5th gear. In the four years I'v owned it (it's a 1995 EX Coupe 1.6L) I'v never had a tank of gas lower than 34 MPG. When my trips involve 90% highway I get over 40 easily doing the speed limit and about 36-38 doing 10-15 over the limit.

Not to mention my car only put out 106 ft/lbs of tq at 5,200 RPM and that was when it was new in 1995, now that I'm close to 200,000 miles it's probably lower.

By everything you say, I should be getting awful mileage, but I'm not.
  • aptmanaptman Posts: 4
    Its absurd that some posters call others that post real world numbers haters...I will state one more time, this is my 3rd Hyundai in a row, I love the car, it looks great, drives good, I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN...BUT...the gas mileage is no where close to what hyundai states...I may average 25-26 (the computer says 2 mpg better but it is not accurate), I do not drive the best I admit, however...on the highway driving 70 I have never done better than 31 mpg, the computer says 33 but do the math...that is also with 2 passengers and a spare tire...my 2010 elantra got better gas mileage than my 2012....
  • With 16K miles on my2012 i would agree with aptman. This is also my 3rd Elantra and i also love the car except for the poor suspension. I just did a 280 mile round trip ,average speed 70 and a full trunk of luggage and one passenger and got 36.5mpg. This car does not get what was advertised but i am totally ok with the all highway mpg. City driving is no where near 29mpg but i don't think there is any car except the hybrids that can get good city mpg. Over all after 1 year of driving i would rate it a B plus. If the suspension was better not rocking when going over road imperfections i would give it an A-. I still think its one of the cool est looking cars in its price range and would probably buy another.
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    . . . . but i don't think there is any car except the hybrids that can get good city mpg.

Not true. There are non hybrid cars out there that are capable of outstanding city mileage, but only with a manual transmission. I average 40 in the summer months with my 05 Corolla. Driving is about a 50/50 mix, but not much of a city MPG penalty with proper driving techniques & light AC use. Pure highway driving only yields low 40's.

Original 2005 Corolla EPA estimates
    32 City/41 Hwy

2008 Revised EPA estimates
    27 City/35 Hwy

The original estimates were more accurate, Just more proof that the government can't do much of anything right!!
  • It's hard for me to believe you're getting that kind of milage. My 2011 has 13,000 miles and has averaged 24 MPG since it was new. I did put Michelin tires and alloy wheels on the car when it was purchased. That should have INCREASED the MPG not decreased it. I can only drive 250 miles before I need to stop for gas. My '96 Camry has averaged 21.5 MPG for the past 14 years. So, I don't know what the problem is w/ my Elantra. I purchased it for the "great" MPG. I drive with the ECO light on. I'm a 67 year old lady so not a "hot rodder." Jack rabbit starts are not my style and I drive the speed limit.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    edited September 2012
    Please post the avg MPH (not MPG) as reported by your car's computer.

Is the 24 MPG reported by the computer or manually calculated?
  • More information here;

http://hyundaimpginfo.com/

I won't have a chance to call them right away but did some simple calculations and figure I should get about $60.

Some articles are saying this is being refreshed every year, can anybody verify this?