Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• garlandcarygarlandcary Posts: 10
    edited April 2013
    DFW to San Antonio? That's a relatively flat stretch, isn't it? So, no surprise you have gotten great mileage. If I still lived in central Mississippi, I'd probably have been thrilled with my Elantra's fuel economy as well. Good for you! Instead, in this hilly part of the Pacific NW, my 500-lb heavier 2.4L Accord is delivering 4-5 MPG better city economy than did my Elantra GLS, all else being equal. Happy and safe travels to you.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Actually you hit the "new" highway EPA rating (38) almost on the head, which I think is really good considering your speed, the extra weight in the car, and the fact it wasn't all highway miles. Did you have A/C on at all? (I type this as I look at 6" of new snow and sub-freezing temps!)
  • pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    We had the ac on.

It is fairly level on I-35, but we had strong winds out of the south (who doesn't in TX) so it hurt going down but helped coming back north. I counted that a wash.

I identify myself as the "cruise control" owner because I have found that if I use the cruise control every opportunity I am able, my mileage increases measurably.

Now... I have been scolded by others on this forum that I should not use cruise at all in city/urban driving. I am not sure why those individuals feel that way. My cruise disengages when I hit my brake pedal, which is how I slow down anyway. I am not sure how they slow down. All kidding aside, I acknowledge their advice but ignore it. To me, if I want to go, the accelerator is depressed, whether by me or the cruise. If I want to slow, I hit the brake pedal.

Maybe I just have a good one. It's an early model 2011 actually made in Korea. I have gone 60 mph for short periods (50-60 miles on the Interstate) after resetting my dash indicator and have seen in the low to mid 40s mpg, but once again, I am sure that display is 2-3 mpg overstated.

My biggest gripes with the car was/is: No spare (which I have remedied with a full size spare on an alloy wheel), the optimistic mpg display and the flimsy floor mats. I did take the car into the local Hyundai dealer and they replaced the 2011 mats with the much more sturdier 2013 version.

Besides those items, the car has been flawless. Now, if it just wouldn't hail every year...
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have no problem with you doing what you need to do to maximize mileage. On the freeway, unless it's an emergent situation, I "drive" with the cruise control, too.

Last weekend, I went with a co-worker to trade her 2012 Elantra for a Honda CR-V. I hadn't been in an Elantra since trading my 2013 for an Accord. While at the dealership, I went outside to move the car and was shocked by how cheap and crude the interior materials are, how rough the engine was at idle and how unrefined all the switchgear felt compared to the Accord, and even the 2013 Civic I had for a day before taking delivery of the Accord. While that's all subjective, I can't feeling like the Elantra after a year feels like an 8-10 year old car.

I am glad for Hyundai, however, you and clearly many others are happy with their cars and are having positive ownership experiences. If mine was representative, they would go out of business.
  • Does the extra warranty on the emissions on a pzev car make up for the loss of hp and I'm sure power/gas mileage? I also read that the gas tank in a pzev car is metal vs plastic...can anyone confirm this? What about rust threw on the metal gas tank after the rust threw warranty expires? Does anyone that has a pzev car notice a differance in gas mileage than the sticker says? Thanks
  • daddys2dabdaddys2dab Posts: 1
    I am a victim, like many others, of the MPG crisis with the 2013 Elantra. I have now owned this car for well over a year and have never averaged over 30mpg. I do not trust the mpg that the car tells me either. If I put in 10 gallons of gas and only drove 240 miles, that's only 24 mpg; it is simple math. I drive mostly city driving with occasional trips on the freeway. The best combined MPG I have seen is 24 mpg. On a tank that is strictly city it is more like 20 mpg. I never get over 300 miles on a single tank either, usually the gas light is coming on around 240.

I even have tried driving at a slow acceleration rate wherever I go and went an entire tank not exceeding 2 rpgs stopping and going. Before anyone says it is my "driving habits", trust me I have tried all the tricks of the trade.

To make matters worse, the entire reason I bought this car was because my 2012 Sonata was getting even worse mileage and I drove that car mainly freeway. Needless to say, in order to get out of that car, I had to roll over some negative equity into this car which I didn't mind because I was promised the mpg would be much better. I am now stuck with another Hyundai with about $3,000 of negative equity that does not live up to the advertisements or the promises I was given.

Hyundai lied to me twice; fool me once shame on, you fool me twice shame on me. I will never recommend Hyundai or Kia to anyone. I hope and pray every day that someone hits me and totals my car or someone steals it so I can get out of this P.O.S. I would rather walk to work with no car and a broken leg then continue paying anything for this vehicle. I would love if someone shares my situation and had some advice?
    Sorry to hear your Elantra's mileage is even worse than mine. The only way out of your situation is to eat the negative equity–which is what I did, although I had a healthy downpayment, so that was only about $700 for me–which was worth it to no longer be driving around as a rolling billboard for Hyundai in an Elantra I'd come to detest any longer than I had to AND to get into a car that is subjectively more satisfying AND beats the hell out of the Elantra's real world fuel economy on its way to often exceeding its own EPA fuel economy ratings. I hope you find a way out soon.

BTW, unless you purchased GAP coverage with your Elantra, totaling the car isn't likely to make things much better than trading it in now and carrying forward that "negative equity" because the value of the Elantra that the insurance will pay you is very likely less than what you owe, and the difference is going to remain your responsibility.
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    I'm in the same boat, never more than 24 combined, it's just ridiculous. Im halfway through a 3 year lease and can't wait to unload this P.O.S.
  • roadscholar3roadscholar3 Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    I think that's HIGHLY unlikely. Unfortunately there are shills on these boards. I would suggest that those who are feeling 'victimized' by these lies by Hyundai take it to small claims court or join a class action. Hyundai has gone out of its way, or course, to head off these claims, but this one isn't over yet. Stay tuned.
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    38+ on the highway is easy to attain. And plenty of people are getting 30+ combined. Just check the logs at fuelly.com. Or maybe you think they're shills too?

Maybe you need to read up on the test procedures to understand why you're not getting 38+ on the hwy.
  • rufenerrufener Posts: 1
    We have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Bought it brand new. It has 23,xxx miles. I had the tires rotated at 14k and 22k miles.

Our car is now sounding like a monster truck with big knobby tires and vibrates so much it shakes the seats, not to mention the steering wheel and everything else.

I've not had it to the Hyundai dealership as it's a 1.5 hour drive to one and a 2.75 hour drive to where we bought it. I've gone to our local automotive shop only.

I have now found out that ALL four of the tires are bad.

Has anyone else had any issues with their Elantra factory-issued tires wearing out like this. I do drive it approx. 75 miles round trip weekdays for work. 90% of the time, that means 4 miles of gravel road, unless I go the town route, and then it's only 1 mile of gravel.

Should tires REALLY wear out this fast? No, I have not had an alignment. Just rotated. I'm just disappointed with the performance.

Thank You.
    The tires on my car were wearing very well - meaning they were on track for a long life. I rotated every 5K miles. Given the conditions of your daily commute are rather severe, I think your rotation interval is overlong and you may be suffering the symptoms of uneven wear. What does the tread LOOK like? Abnormally worn on the outside or inside?
  • gws2gws2 Posts: 1
    I to was fooled by Hyundai's false MPG adds. My 2012 Elantra Limited with 12000 miles averages between 24 and 27 MPG, city and highway. I live in a flat state and check mileage by dividing gallons into miles driven, not using the dash MPG gauge
  • gman4911gman4911 Posts: 43
    Fooled how? The EPA test results are always posted with a "your results may vary" disclaimer.

Why don't you post your avg MPH? You're probably driving more city conditions than you realize.
  • litesong2litesong2 Posts: 23
    edited May 2013
    Filled up with 100% gasoline(ethanol-free) in my warmed up auto tranny 2013 Elantra, reset my trip computer, & set off on a excellent & mpg stretching daytrip. With 3 people, 3 cool-offs totaling 3.5 hours, & some a/c (NOT in the EPA determinations), Elantra trip computer built nicely to 47 mpg. Of course, entering 10 miles of city travel, the trip computer lowered to under 40mpg. Returning, the trip computer built to 41.8 mpg.

Again, filling with 100% gasoline, calculated mpg was 43.

With past use of 100% gasoline with 3 vehicles(which raised mpg by 8+%, 7%, & 5%), I expect to average near the highway EPA estimate & seldom be near the city EPA mark.

EPA mpg determinations are run using the equivalent of 100% gasoline with no ethanol added.

100% gasoline is sold in 6500 stations in the U.S. & Canada, but often not available in larger cities. Ethanol is often said to reduce pollutants of one particular substance. However, I think the EPA is strongly influenced to demand 10% ethanol blends, by strong lobbying of the ethanol industry, who also rely on the supposed pollutant decrease with the use of 10% ethanol blends.
    edited May 2013
    Just got back from a 500 mile road trip in a rented 2012 Elantra GLS AT with 26k miles. About 10% city, 90% highway with most of the highway miles at 71-73 mph on cruise.

On outbound leg, temps were 60-70 F so no A/C needed. Dry roads, little wind. Terrain was gently rolling with a few bigger hills for the first half, pretty flat for the 2nd half. With some city driving up front, FE after 250 miles was 42.2 mpg per the computer. After a day of in-town driving, FE dropped to 41.0 and then I started home. For the first two hours, I drove in heavy rain, which I expect sapped some FE (but also cooled things off enough to where I didn't need A/C). 90 miles from home, I had to stop to refuel (myself and the car). FE at that point was 41.0 for the entire trip per the computer, and extremely close to the FE per the pump (41.2 mpg). Filling the Elantra reset the FE meter :( but the number for the last 90 miles, in light rain and 73 mph cruise, was 43.8 mpg. :)

More confirmation that the Elantra is capable of meeting or even exceeding its EPA highway FE numbers when driven moderately and when conditions are favorable. I didn't have to deal with any traffic tie-ups from road construction etc., which can kill FE.

(BTW all the gas used had 10% ethanol.)
  • litesong2litesong2 Posts: 23
    edited June 2013
    backy........yeah, Elantra can get over 40mph. However, many things can put 40mpg in the dumpster. Any slight efforts to be a leadfoot, will cause you to dip into the 30's, specially on shorter trips of 200miles. Ebb & flow traffic, even if it doesn't come to a stop, will cause the auto tranny to shift down & let you say hi to the 30's. Traveling up a small & not steep hill at highway speed of 55mph or a bit less, can easily cause the automatic transmission to shift from 6th to 5th. Again, say hi to the 30's. One thing to do, is one of my techniques for manual transmissions, altho with an automatic transmission it becomes very difficult: as you approach an ascent to a hill, get your speed up to more than your usual pace. Ease your speed up v. slowly or the auto tranny will kick into 5th. As you ascend the hill, keep your speed up or you will lose all the advantage of the acceleration towards the hill. Since your speed is a bit higher than normal, 6th gear will hold longer than at a lower speed. Hold your speed as long as possible, but also concentrating on NOT TOO MUCH GAS, or again, the tranny will kick down a gear. As you approach the steepest part of the hill(if it really is steep the tranny will kick down no matter how you babysit it, but you held 6th gear as long as you could), very slowly in the case of the auto tranny, let your speed lower, till you are traveling a bit slower than your normal at the hill top flat. This technique is called 'flattening out the hill'.

For years I was spoiled with a CVT transmission, which used nearly an infinite number of 'gearings' for all my hill climbing.
    Elantra can get over 40mph.

I'd hope so! ;)

I was surprised that on my 500 mile trip with some good-sized hills, the car never down-shifted on the hills. I don't know if having Active Eco on had anything to do with that. I did notice a little drop in FE on the steeper hills, but the car seemed to make up for it going downhill.

Driving several hundred miles in comfort, with the cruise control on, is more important to me than wringing every last mpg out of a car. I'm quite happy with what I was able to get on the Elantra just by setting the cruise near the speed limit and using a light foot when driving in town.

I have a CVT now in my Sentra, and I don't feel "spoiled" by it as it's not very responsive to inputs. But I do appreciate how it keeps revs very low, e.g. around 2000 rpm at 70 mph. That helps keep engine noise down on the highway and helps FE.
  • pflyerpflyer Posts: 25
    Just returned from a round trip DFW/OKC and averaged 38 mpg by fuel added and 39.7 on the display. Average speed was 68, according to the display, which I find interesting because it was literally all highway travel. My average speed was about 73 mph, according to the speedometer.

Anyway, was reading an article that stated dash mpg displays were THE MOST ACCURATE measure of fuel economy. His reasoning rested on the fact that no two fuel pumps add fuel the same, temperature changes vary how much fuel can be added and "operator technique" was too unpredictable.

He also contended that the computer "really knows" how much gas you are using because it takes into account all factors, many of which the driver is not aware of or can account for.

Anyone else hear something such as this? I have always trusted my own fuel calculations more than the mpg display, but according to this author, I am wrong.

If he is correct, I am getting fabulous mileage. Even if my calculations are correct, while I am getting less than published (of course, I am going faster), my mpg is still very good.

My display is very consistently about 2 mpg too optimistic.