Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    What you read was probably correct if you are only taking a measurement on one or two tanks of gas. But if you use at least 4 and preferable more like 6 and average it out I think you'll get a pretty good number.
  • litesong2litesong2 Posts: 23
    edited June 2013
    backy wrote:
    I was surprised that on my 500 mile trip with some good-sized hills, the car never down-shifted on the hills. I don't know if having Active Eco on had anything to do with that. I did notice a little drop in FE on the steeper hills, but the car seemed to make up for it going downhill.

I have a CVT now in my Sentra, and I don't feel "spoiled" by it as it's not very responsive to inputs.
    ////////////
    litesong wrote:
    You get good mpg with 10% ethanol. After switching to 100% gasoline, my 3 cars increased their mpg by 8%, 7%, & 5%. Other Elantra drivers have told me their cruise control while using the ECO button can hold sixth gear as low as 40mph, maybe a trace lower. Using 100% gasoline & the ECO button, my tranny holds 6th gear down to 36mph, possibly to 35mph(GPS reading). Not sure that is an advantage..... probably not. On back country roads where I'm using lower gears other than 6th, quite a bit on slower roads, the trip computer(initializing mpg readings), shows that mpg can build readily beyond 45mpg. I always thought highest mpg would be obtained with car in 6th gear, but traveling fairly slowly. But traveling 30-35mph in 4th gear, say can pile up mpg also.

I suspect your extra speed, rpms & extra torque, kept your tranny from shifting from 6th to 5th. Hills don't have to be steep at all, while traveling at less than 60mph to cause the auto tranny to shift down. & encountering any slight elevation while traveling at 40mph in 6th gear causes the tranny to shift down. As stated above tho, I'm not sure shifting to 5th gear loses too many mpg, just so you don't get panicked, & accelerate to get your tranny back into 6th gear.

I had the Nissan CVT in a Dodge Caliber. Loved it, except for the computer controlled slow response at slow speed, you mentioned. However, the response got quicker at faster speeds. I did love the elegant motion of the CVT & it did cause the inefficient car body & engine to be more fuel efficient & accelerate quicker at higher speeds, despite the overall lethargy of the body & engine. I got as high as 37mpg with the car rated only at 27mpg on the highway & averaged 31mpg. Tho the Elantra auto tranny pleases me, the smoothness of the CVT can't be beat. I have heard that the new CVT in the 2013 Honda Accord has licked the lack of response lag, & powers up quickly when asked.
  • apoe5467apoe5467 Posts: 3
    I understand plenty of people are getting 30+ combined, my friends 2012 does, but there are those of us who don't. My 2013 has never got over 30 even on a trip and usually combined I'm lucky to get 24.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    You might talk with your friend and find out about his/her driving patterns and habits--maybe even observe how he/she drives the Elantra. Likely your friend's driving patterns are much different than yours.
  • ...you might just get a car that gets great mileage without having to follow an instruction book to do it. My current car gets 25mpg in the city with LOTS of hills and lots of time idling in traffic. PERIOD. Makes almost no difference whether I'm easy or aggressive on the throttle. Highway? 33mpg at 75mph with two kids on board (or one adult), the A/C cranking. Very little impact from being aggressive with throttle inputs, such as for darting through traffic. Probably the upside of the CVT. Changing only speed to 65mph and the car gets 36mpg.

The Elantra was the first car I ever owned that seemed to require pampering to achieve even DECENT fuel economy. I don't have patience or time for that. I hope my Elantra is now happily in the driveway of someone with an appreciation and fondness for such shenanigans. I'm far happier with my more-efficient (for my driving routes and style) Accord.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    The Elantra was the first car I ever owned that seemed to require pampering to achieve even DECENT fuel economy.

I don't consider setting the cruise control at the speed limit, maybe a bit over, and driving down the highway to get over the EPA rating "pampering". But everyone has different expectations. As for me, I've had no problem getting near 40 mpg on the Elantra at 75 mph on the highway.

I own one CVT car now (Sentra) and it requires a LOT of "pampering" IMO to get good FE. But with a light touch on the gas, the revs stay low and it does well on FE.
    edited June 2013
    The Elantra? from from Vancouver BC...... on I-405 South just past Lynnwood that brought me down to between 45 and 55 mph, during which time I averaged 43 mpg on what is essentially a flat stretch of freeway. And that was the last time I saw average mileage greater than 38 mpg INDICATED .....typical highway fuel economy I got was between 34 and 36 mpg if I kept my speed no greater than 65 mph and was lucky enough to not have to climb any hills. You see, the Elantra seems EXTREMELY sensitive to grades.
    Unfortunately, everywhere I drive involves cresting some kind of hill (I'm in the lowest part of Redmond, WA, and everything is uphill). Consequently, in city driving, I'm blessed if I can keep the mileage above 20 mpg (22 mpg indicated).
    /////////
    litesong wrote:
    Just got my Elantra(Epsilon Lyrae) a month ago & drive some of the same routes as you, also living in a valley, needing to climb hills often. The I-405 South from Lynnwood area rises & falls from sub-100 feet to 500feet. As for your short 12 mile, trip computer read 43mpg, I got the same 43 mpg, but on a roundtrip to Bellingham from Everett, with 3 people, 3.5 hours of multiple cool downs, & some city driving. Later tanks of gas have gotten 40mpg again, kicked me 400 miles down the road repeatedly with as much as 3.3 gallons remaining at fill-up, & Epsilon Lyrae is averaging 38+mpg.
    If your odometer is like many Elantra owners, the odometer reads low 3+%, which picks up 1mpg at 33mpg. Depending on where you live, get 100% gasoline(non-ethanol) in your Elantra. My last 3 cars increased their mpg by 8%,7%, & 5%, switching to 100% gasoline. Be thinking for good mpg. You have to learn how to handle the hills. Handling the hills properly will NOT raise your mpg, but keep you from losing so many mpg on the hills.
    Others have established Elantra to have a 6th gear steady state 54-55mpg(computer). On a 30mile day trip, using 100% gasoline, traveling 28-58mpg(except for stops), thru 6 stoplights, 2 round-abouts, small hills, & fairly light traffic, my auto tranny Elantra(Epsilon Lyrae) registered a computer 51mpg. Took Epsilon Lyrae on my favorite easy-going back country road, with no traffic. Fifth gear established a steady state 49.4mpg at ~30-31mph & 4th gear settled on 48.3mpg at 25-26mpg. Didn't test other speeds. Fourth & fifth gears don't lose large numbers of mpg. When approaching hills then, that should cause Epsilon Lyrae to shift from 6th gear to lower gears, a mpg saving tactic should be manually selecting 5th or 4th gear BEFORE ascending the hills & NOT allowing a gear shift, while on the hill.
  • apoe5467apoe5467 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice, but it's my car. My friend and I switched cars for several days and the gas mileage followed the car, not the driver.
    Just rented a 2013 Elantra for a trip to visit my dad in Texas from Chicago area. Total of 2532 miles roundtrip. Fair amount of in town driving around Dallas/Ft. Worth in addition to the highway miles. My average for the trip was 36.7mpg. Straight hwy mpg was between 38-41mpg by the trip computer but I found that to be consistently on the high side when I computed it manually after each fill. My highest tank was 38.4mpg(manually computed) and my worst was 32.5mpg, again manually figured. I've read a lot of poor mpg reports and don't question them for a minute as I firmly believe that some cars can have problems that others of the same make/brand etc might not. I did notice an interesting thing about elevation though. When heading towards the Mississippi the elevation dropped several hundred feet and MPG was positively affected. The opposite was true for the reverse. While this is not earth shattering news in itself, I found it interesting because if I had not turned on my new toy's(gps) elavation tracking feature I wouldn't even had an inkling that I was headed somewhat uphill or down. It all seemed pretty flat. Also, interesting was the fact that driving across central Missouri on I-40 it was very hilly, almost mountinous. My overall MPG came out to be about the same driving through that area as it did on really flat, boring cornfields of central IL. I usually drive about 4 mph over posted speed limits. However, on freeways where the posted is 75, I rarely exceed it as I find 75 to be fast enough as I'm not usually in any huge rush during these trips.

Liked the Elantra better than I thought I would but it was pretty gutless and also pretty noisy on hard acceleration. Radio was actually decent and it tracked well on the expressway. Seat wasn't overly comfortable or uncomfortable. However, any seat will cause aches after 13 or 14 hours. The suspension was good except any kind of big bump really shook the car and resulted in a lot of booming. Overall, good experience and good MPG. Last year I rented a 2012 Altima that averaged 32.1mpg for the entire trip. However, last year was about 95% hwy as I drove my Dad's car a lot while visiting.
  • Did you happen to notice the average mph as listed in the computer?

Also, did your GPS come up with the same distance as the trip odometer?

One last thing: Did you use cruise for most/all of the trip?

Thanks for the report. Sounds very similar to my experiences/take on Elantra.
    edited September 2013
    1. I did cycle through it a lot but it reset on each fill. I remember 46mph a lot as I did a lot of expressway and the back roads in Texas have a lot of 65-70 speed limits. The trip computer seemed to reset itself when it went over 1000 miles. Didn't quite understand that. The first time it happened on "trip b" I thought I must have hit the reset button by mistake but when it happened a couple of times on both "trip a" and "trip b" I figured it must have reset back to 0 at 1000 miles. I guess Hyundai didn't figure on anyone wanting to keep track of a longer trip or I was doing something wrong.

Something about the roads in Texad though, one two lane state road we drove on even had a 75mph limit which my sister and I thought was crazy. We especially liked the "watch for loose gravel" sign right before the "caution curve-65mph limit" sign. Just crazy in opinion. That same road had a 70mph daytime limit on it a couple of years ago which changed to 60mph at night. Now, it's 75 day and night.

2. If their was a difference I didn't notice it. I did notice that the speed on the little Garmin perfectly matched the speed and seemingly the distance on the speedometer. I didn't drive straight through in one trip. I would reset the GPS to my first hotel stop and then reset it the next day for "home". So I don't think it kept cumulative miles.

3. Yes, I used cruise almost 100% on expressways and usually set it to about 4mph over the limit. There was one stretch of about 150 miles in SW Missouri that I got a little rambunctious and was going about 10 over as I was trying to get to Joplin by a certain time. So I would have to say my speeds ran from about 69-79 most of the time.
  • I am upset with my Elantra GT. I had it a month ago with good deal with the dealer, and drove 5000 miles across the country.

I just cannot understand how on the earth such small car with small engine delivers so little mpg!
    I expected to have a low torque car but seriously how this little engine manages so low mpg (average 28-31 highway, City 19-25 mpg)!

I mean my 13 years old two times heavier grand Cherokee with 6 cylinder 4 liter engine delivers me 19-22 mpg combined with so much power! In more than a decade, where is the improvement!
    Couple observations:

In US, most regions except few places like lower Florida, there is decreasing or increasing elevation roads. For instance someone above me who had better mileage drove it from Chicago to DFW, I drove that road more than 20 times; elevation drops towards the middle of the road. That affects a lot!

Secondly, I never observed in my Jeep but the place you bought gas affects also a lot in Elantra’s MPG.

Even I compare the best MPG numbers with 0 ethanol, cruise control and no AC, I got 36 for very short period of miles.

30 highway mpg could have been acceptable if the city averages 28; but no; it doesn’t.
    It’s my first new car, I feel cheated, never ever buy Hyundai again! Just let me know when it is good time to trade in this car without losing 6-7 thousand dollars.
  • It sounds like you drive with a lead foot. The key to getting good MPGs with the Elantra is smooth and easy acceleration, coasting as much as possible, and avoid idling as much as possible. When accelerating, avoid making the tachometer exceed 2000-2250 rpms. Any higher and you're wasting fuel. When approaching stop lights/signs, if you cannot take your foot off the gas and count to 15 or 20 (or more) before applying the brakes, you're wasting fuel. Getting the car to move from a dead stop (i.e. idling at traffic lights, stop and go traffic, etc) uses a lot of fuel so be observant of the traffic ahead of you and coast as much as possible to minimize the time idling at traffic lights. It also helps to keep your tire pressure a couple psi above factory recommended.
  • That was my conclusion as well. My best mileage was observed along a 20-or-so-mile stretch of freeway with very little (if any) elevation change, no A/C, no passengers, very little cargo. But in the real world, mileage never got anywhere near the EPA (idealized) estimates–while the car I replaced the Elantra with, a Honda Accord Sport, exceeds the EPA estimates in real world driving (lots of elevation changes, passengers and/or cargo) by, on average, 1 mpg for both city and highway.
    ----"But in the real world, mileage never got anywhere near the EPA (idealized) estimates–while the car I replaced"

Read my post a few back. I own no Hyundais and never have but I rented an Elantra(Avis choice, not mine) and made a trip to Texas. A/C on the whole trip and went through some pretty darn hilly country in central Missouri. If I took just the freeway portion, I averaged about 39mpg by the trip computer. But my manual calculation had it at about 38mpg. That is exactly what the EPA says it should do if I remember correctly. So yes, the Elantra I rented could do it fairly easily with two passengers, with luggage and the A/C on. I drive speed limit plus about 4mph so speeds were between 69-79 and cruise control was used almost all the time.
  • Nope, EPA estimates for that vehicle (adjusted to new standards) 14-16-20. I was getting 90% 20-21 combined. And this is the first vehicle I drove which I wasn't getting higher than EPA.

I was almost getting hit by trucks while speeding at 2000-2250 rpms range while entering high way. But that even didn't help. That brings another problem, the max torque is at 4500 rpm which is on the high side.
  • In order to achieve the EPA numbers, you need to drive in a manner similar to the way the EPA tested it, no? Take a look at the EPA Test Parameters. Does it resemble the way you drive? Why do you think the EPA numbers are always accompanied by a 'Your mileage may vary' disclaimer?
  • Update:
    My summer Elantra mpg, using 100% gasoline, with 15% city driving, tire pressures 38psi, all tanks with 3 to 7+ cooldowns(no continuous driving), my average has been 39.5mpg. Seven of my last ten tanks have been 40mpg or more. Top mpg have been 43 & 42.5mpg. Accelerations have been very light & highway speeds have been 55-60mpg, with freeway speeds 61-66mph, very few 70mph. With 100% gasoline, the engine has been wonderfully smooth, easy running, & quiet. On the new experimental smooth "quiet pavements", with wind, road & tire noise low, Elantra has a magic carpet ride.
  • Hello, I was looking to lease a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS and was wondering what kind of deals other had gotten recently. Specifically, I am looking for purchase price and financing terms. Also, if you know about any dealer incentive programs that can allow me to negotiate under the Invoice rate. I am looking for the standard package (not preferred) with w/mud flaps and floor mats. Any help would be appreciated.