Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Care and Maintenance

Comments

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    $800??? That seems high for this service. Have you checked the Edmund's Maintenance Guide? It will list the parts and labor costs in your area. Click on the link in the left side bar to go to the Guide.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    scruplek:

$800 Where do you live? Timing belt for 99 and up Odyseey is $269,95 in So California. If you add water pump and other stuffs price will go up. But not $800.-

Good luck!

bjk
  • chien1chien1 Posts: 4
    Does anyone have a suggestion for repairing a scratch on the 3rd row beach seat of my 2003 Ody ?
    It is so bad luck that a piece of sharp metal rubs through the top surface to create a 4 inch long line on the surface. Fortunately, it does not break through the whole layer, but only on the top surface. However, it looks really bad.
    I heared something before such as a repair kit or repair glue (adhesive), which can be used to fix this problem. In fact, if I push both sides together it look just fine, but I definetly need something to do so. I've looked for leather repair kits on the web and haven't come up with anything close to this, only find a repair kit to fix holes or cuts through the whole layer (so backing patch is used), but I do not think it is what I need.
  • gucci3gucci3 Posts: 8
    Honda's maintenance manual insists that genuine Honda coolant be used in my 2000 Odyssey. It even says if I have to use a different brand in an emergency to flush it out ASAP and replace with Honda coolant.
    Is Honda coolant that much different from others? Has anyone had any bad experience by not sticking to Honda coolant?
    gucci3:

Honda specified their own coolant and transmission fluid. Honda coolant probably is the same as others, but big question is warranty. Would you like to take the risk if Honda void their warrany due to aftremarket coolant?

bjk
  • scruplekscruplek Posts: 33
    I called the dealership back and got more info. They say it is a package deal: 750 bucks plus tax includes changing two belts and new water pump. Should I go to a private mechanic instead?
    Scruple k
    scruplek:
    For 99 Odyssey you pay $34.60 for Timing belt and $86.70 for new water pump check out www.ahmotor.com website price. In oder to get to timing belt you have to remove water pump. So to replace water pump with timing belt should just add water pump cost plus shop supply not double labor. Should be around $400 bucks my estimate. They are taking you to cleaners. Go to other dealers or call your local independant shop.
    Good luck!

bjk
  • sbpceapsbpceap Posts: 67
    I don't yet have a repair manual for my 2003 Odyssey. Does anyone know where the proper front and rear jacking points are if you are using a floor jack? Thanks.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Your owner's manual should show jack points - don't have to buy shop manual.
    Jack points are on rocker panels, about 6 inches behind front wheels, and 6 inches in front of rear wheels. Unfortunately, these rocker panel jack points conform to the head of the Honda supplied jack, you've gotta be careful with floor jack so you don't crush them.
       There are also two jack points on front and rear of van, basically on centerline of vehicle. They're about 3/4" thick pieces of steel bar that're bent into a "v" shape and welded to structural part of subframe. I use that with floor jack to raise both wheels and then place jack stands under rocker panel jack points.
  • Thanks for your help regarding safe jacking points. It seems that service manuals are not yet available for '03 Odysseys.
  • If your dealer doesn't have an '03 Ody shop manual in stock. Go to same place they buy it from:

http://www.helminc.com

By the way '04 literature is already there.
  • No where in the owner's manual mentions about the capacity of the transmission fluid for the automatic transmission. Does anyone know?

Alland
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    I just passed 30k, so am preparing for some scheduled & preventive maintanence. I placed an order with HandA-Accessories for the following:
    Oil filter & drain plug gasket
    Air filter
    Cabin HVAC filter
    Shin-Etsu grease for the door seals

I figure that I will drain the tranny & possibly flush the brakes while I am at it.

One item I cannot find, and hope someone will enlighten me - where is the fuel filter on this beast? I could not find it during a cursory look last night. I found some fuel lines coming up the firewall connected to what looks like a fuel regulator partially hidden under the engine shroud, then they appear to run directly to the fuel injector rails. Is the filter buried under the shroud, or maybe back by the gas tank???

Steve
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    why replace the brake fluid when you're probably due for a brake job in 10-20k miles? I'm guessing the tranny fluid should be good to 50k, although I have read the manual. My '02 is only on 19k.

no clue where the fuel filter is.
    Steve,

I live in a fairly rural area of NY's Hudson Valley. At 24 months we are at 31k miles. When I put on the snows, I was surprised at how much meat was left on the pads. I should have no problems getting another 1.5-2 years (maybe 50-60k miles) out of the brakes, and I feel that this length of time is really pushing it for brake fluid contamination. It might be a waste of my time and money, or it might pay dividends by reducing the chances of caliper piston bore pitting and corrosion. A tough call, but I am conservative (automotive speaking, not politically!).

Same with the tranny fluid. As delicate as these units seem to be, why wait? For $10 worth of fluid and an hour of my time, I might avoid headaches two years out???

Our weather extremes are enough for me to want to split the difference between the normal and severe service schedule.
    Anyhow, if anybody knows where that darn filter is, please let me know!

Thanks,

Steve
  • kilzokkilzok Posts: 2
    Hi, this may have been broached before but I could'nt find anything on it. I changed the oil on my '04 Oddessey at 3700 miles. I purchased the oil and filter at the dealer. The filter that I was sold is about 50%smaller than the one that was on the engine. The dealer parts person states that the same filter is being used on most of the Honda models. Is it o.k. to use an aftermarket filter thats rated for an earlier Oddessey? Is H. picking up on the great American engineering philosophy used in the 70s called "planned obsolescence"? Twenty weight oil seems to point to it also. Maybe Hondas werent wearing out fast enough?
    The claim is that the new smaller filter meets requirements for the engine. While I too equate 'big' with 'more', a change to better filtering media can indeed allow the same capacity and surface area in a smaller package.

Steve
  • anikaanika Posts: 1
    Hi, can anyone tell me where the pcv valve is located on my '00 ody. I bought a new one, but can't find anything that looks similar on the valve covers.
    On my '02, it looks to be on the rear bank cover, pretty much opposite where the oil filler is on the front bank. But when I looked at a diagram of the '00 (earlier engine), it appears to be somewhere else. I cannot make sense of the drawing.... Sorry.

Steve