Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai - Disappearing Oil

*No oil on the driveway
*No oil on the engine block
*No smoke coming from the tailpipe

2011 Hyundai Sonata
Burned 5 quarts of oil in 6000 miles. Does this sound right to you? No warning light of any kind.

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    edited November 2011
    How many times did you check the oil in those 6000 miles??? Your warning should have come when you checked the oil level.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    Given that in modern cars the oil change interval is growing longer & longer, and given that most manufacturer's still state that some oil consumption, usually up to a quart every thousand miles, is considered normal, we as consumers are going to have to get back in the habit of checking our oil levels between changes.

I know I've been bad about it lately, but I'll make a point to check the oil level every couple of months (easy to do with a calendar reminder on my phone). I suggest you do the same, adjusting the time so that you're checking the oil level no less often than every 2,000 miles.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    In fact it really can be normal for an engine to use oil at this rate. If you look elsewhere in this very forum you'll find people who have GM vehicles that when the oil level drops, complain about the light that is coming on and alerting them! Their vehicle through engineering and planning solves this "problem", and they are bashing GM for it. This Hyundai doesn't have this ability, and here it cost you an engine and you are wishing it would have had a warning display.

As in that thread, I point out engines use oil, they have to in order to lubricate the piston rings, and the valve stems and guides. With ever longer drain intervals, the need for consumers to actively check and control the oil levels in their engines has never been as important as it is today. Plus, you must be sure to choose the correct oil, which for now with your Hyundai would be the correct viscosity, and API SN , ILSAC GF5.

Where are all the experts who love to bash auto mechanics when a consumer suffers a preventable failure like you did here? Oh, that's right they are too busy bashing us and trying to save you the occasional $20-$30.
  • You know I've been ridiculed from time to time how I waste my money on oil changes. I am old school and I've always changed my oil every 3K miles despite what all the dealers and mfg's say about today's motor oil. I always use Mobil 1 (since 1987) and a good quality filter and I've NEVER had a engine failure. The way I look at it, it's my money to waste and it helps me sleep better at night. Even on lease cars that I ran regular dino oil, I still changed the oil every 3K miles. My friends think I'm nuts, but you'll never see me on the side of the road. Preventive maintenance is key to any vehicle.