Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai - Disappearing Oil

*No oil on the driveway
*No oil on the engine block
*No smoke coming from the tailpipe

2011 Hyundai Sonata
Burned 5 quarts of oil in 6000 miles. Does this sound right to you? No warning light of any kind.

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    edited November 2011
    How many times did you check the oil in those 6000 miles??? Your warning should have come when you checked the oil level.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,295
    Given that in modern cars the oil change interval is growing longer & longer, and given that most manufacturer's still state that some oil consumption, usually up to a quart every thousand miles, is considered normal, we as consumers are going to have to get back in the habit of checking our oil levels between changes.

I know I've been bad about it lately, but I'll make a point to check the oil level every couple of months (easy to do with a calendar reminder on my phone). I suggest you do the same, adjusting the time so that you're checking the oil level no less often than every 2,000 miles.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 2,836
    In fact it really can be normal for an engine to use oil at this rate. If you look elsewhere in this very forum you'll find people who have GM vehicles that when the oil level drops, complain about the light that is coming on and alerting them! Their vehicle through engineering and planning solves this "problem", and they are bashing GM for it. This Hyundai doesn't have this ability, and here it cost you an engine and you are wishing it would have had a warning display.

As in that thread, I point out engines use oil, they have to in order to lubricate the piston rings, and the valve stems and guides. With ever longer drain intervals, the need for consumers to actively check and control the oil levels in their engines has never been as important as it is today. Plus, you must be sure to choose the correct oil, which for now with your Hyundai would be the correct viscosity, and API SN , ILSAC GF5.

Where are all the experts who love to bash auto mechanics when a consumer suffers a preventable failure like you did here? Oh, that's right they are too busy bashing us and trying to save you the occasional $20-$30.
  • You know I've been ridiculed from time to time how I waste my money on oil changes. I am old school and I've always changed my oil every 3K miles despite what all the dealers and mfg's say about today's motor oil. I always use Mobil 1 (since 1987) and a good quality filter and I've NEVER had a engine failure. The way I look at it, it's my money to waste and it helps me sleep better at night. Even on lease cars that I ran regular dino oil, I still changed the oil every 3K miles. My friends think I'm nuts, but you'll never see me on the side of the road. Preventive maintenance is key to any vehicle.
  • My wife has a 2007 Accent with 81,000 miles. I changed the oil every 3,700 miles since new and then about 4 years ago started using Mobil 5w20 as noted as OEM viscosity (5,000 mile intervals). I have done most of the changes myself. What the car has been doing is that when you go around a hard right hand turn, it starts to stall, lose power and blow blue smoke for a moment or two and then it is fine. Example of this would be an onramp. The Dealer said that they never heard of this before. The car has been using a quart of oil every 600 miles and more in the summer. I spoke to an independent garage and he said that he has seen valve guides go on these motors. Also the Dealer claims that Hyundai needs receipts from all the oil I bought for it. When I said that a receipt from Walmart that is 5 years old is blank! They had no comment. I documented the service work on pages in order so you can see when, where and what was done. They do everything they can not to honor the 10year/ 100,000 mile engine warranty. I have owned at least 20 cars and never have had oil consumption issue. I even sold high end European cars for 13 years. Has anyone heard of such a bizarre situation with these cars?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 49,856
    The valve guide theory sounds pretty good to me. As for the problem with receipts, keep in mind that the dealer doesn't control the warranty, the factory does, so you have to direct your appeals to them.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

There have been numerous reports of warranties denied when proper service wasn't verifiable, and while Hyundai has a lot of them other manufacturers have also been cracking down too. As far as the vehicle symptoms if you take the oil cap off while idling and then snap the throttle do you see a lot of blow-by gasses coming out? If so then the rings are sticking and that is a common failure due to the use of engine oils that failed to adequately protect against deposits in the ring-lands. Excessive blow-by could result in oil that is pooling inside the intake and that might be allowing some of it to be drawn into the cylinders when cornering hard and accelerating.

While valve guide wear is possible, there is usually some associated upper engine noise. Can you hear some valve train noise? Hard cornering shouldn't result in the engine ingesting some of the oil from that alone unless there is more oil trapped at the top of the engine than there really should be and that suggests that there may be clogged oil returns from sludge deposits.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 49,856
    That's what I was thinking. Too much oil trapped in the upper engine, which then leaks through the valve guides/seals when hard cornering.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• will probably have the Dealer take the valve cover off. I worked for the Dealer network for 13 years and made them millions in sales profit.....250k per year average for 13 years....yeah. They know how I take care of cars so a little push should move them and the Manufacturer. I have to laugh, I changed the oil every 3,500 when Hyundai was at 7,000. Now they are at 3,500....mmm they must know something and will not tell. I believe they are hiding something. You cannot take care of a vehicle that well and have this type of issue. A general defect screams at me. I saw even Mercedes with these issues frequently. Heck look at VW, but this just tells me that everyone will take short cuts to get it done and hope they don't get caught. $$$$$$$ is the game.
    edited October 2015
    fishman17 said:

I have to laugh, I changed the oil every 3,500 when Hyundai was at 7,000. Now they are at 3,500....mmm they must know something and will not tell. I believe they are hiding something.

Do more research on the issue. The problems that occurred have to do with the specifications of the oil products that were used, not the engine.
    fishman17 said:

You cannot take care of a vehicle that well and have this type of issue. A general defect screams at me. I saw even Mercedes with these issues frequently.

Mercedes issues from their dealers making the technicians service the cars with products that failed to meet their specifications is well known and resulted in Mercedes losing a $150 million class action suit.
    fishman17 said:

Heck look at VW, but this just tells me that everyone will take short cuts to get it done and hope they don't get caught. $$$$$$$ is the game.

It only takes one person to make your statement false, everyone does not take shortcuts. But as far as getting caught in the money game, if you would of had this serviced by a top shop and had all of the documentation you wouldn't be in this situation for at least the warranty denial. What's more is that had the vehicle been serviced with a more appropriate product it easily could have gone 7000 miles between services and not encountered this failure. The API SM and ILSAC GF4 failed to protect the engines correctly in certain circumstances. Meanwhile products that had approvals exceeding that standard (ACEA A1/B1-A5/B5) would have done just fine.