Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Car for a Quiet Ride?

2»

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,975
    edited December 2012
    Except for the construction spots, the Alaska Highway has been paved for a couple of three decades now. Even the Cassiar doesn't have much gravel left.

Lots of tires do seem to get noisier as they age.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    " if the splash lube setup is set up correctly..."

What does set up correctly mean? Didn't the factory set it up correctly and, if not, why not?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    I rented a Cobalt a few years back and I liked it, except for the steering. The steering felt rather vague and artificial.
  • hpm:
    Of course the factory set the lube system up correctly. However, the engine in my car is the original, 64 years old, and has been rebuilt by a previous owner. As I mentioned, this engine has dippers on its rod caps that feed oil into the rod bearings at idle. The dippers pick up oil from 6 troughs in the oil pan. Above idle, the oil pressure comes up to 14 psi, and 6 nozzles mounted in the side of the oil pan spray high volume streams on oil at the big end of the rods and into the dippers. To be set up correctly, a set of guages are used to set the clearance between the dippers and the troughs, and, to make sure the nozzles are aimed correctly. When the oil pan is removed for a pan gasket change, etc., then these settings should be checked to make sure the lube system works correctly after re-assembly. I'm assuming that the mechanic that rebuilt my engine got things back together correctly because I've run the car at her comfortable cruising speed of 55 - 60 mph for 100 miles several times without problems, and, had her up to 75 mph for very brief periods.

I read an old road test done by Floyd Climer on a new 49 Chevy with the 216, and, he ran the car flat out for several hours without hurting it.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
2»