Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• hparehpare Member Posts: 6
    Pardon my ignorance...but what are wheel locks and why would one need them? I am trying to decide what accessories I want to puchase.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Wheel lock is a special wheel lug you have to use special key to install or remove the lug. Typical each wheel lock set comes with 4 special wheel lugs and a key. You will replace 1 out of 5 Odyssey wheel lugs of each wheel with one of the specialy ones. The purpose of the wheel lock is to prevent someone stealing your wheel when you park you car. Especially if you have alloy wheels or any kind of wheels.

PS 1. There is also a web site for Odyssey only www.odyclub.com there are some accessories photo from member.
    PS 2. I have a '01 GG EX with wheel lock, splash guard, cargo tray, ordered weathertech mats, ordered leather steerling wheel cover, lojack, looking to get weathertech cargo mats.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Got my gray weathertech mats for all 3 rows. They matched my fern interior. Have to trimmed of 3 lines of each side for 3rd row. I then used duck tape to tape trimmed off portion together use as runner to cover area between 2nd and 3rd row seats.

Also installed Honda's leather steerling wheel cover. I should have gotten wheelskin's instead of Honda's. Wheelskin has two color looks better.

My next project is to get Pioneer TS-A1655 speakers to replace my Ex's front speakers.
  • 99Od99Od Member Posts: 3
    Ever since I bought my 2000 Odyssey, I've wanted the amber tail light that is on the "rest-of-the world's" Odysseys (JDM,CAD,etc). Since only the outer tail light is the actual signal, and the 2002 parts are finally available,I bought them.
    FYI: for those interested in this. The unit is a perfect match for all existing '99-'01 Odysseys. Plug and fit are all the same. (like daaah, they've been making this unit since pre'99).
    Purchase info:
    My dealer wanted $63 per side. I went through www.hparts.com and pd. only $46.86 per side and $12 s&h.
    Part Numbers:
    Right side: #612355
    Left side #612356

Installation:
    Take off 2 screws from existing unit; pull back STRAIGHT (you might have to give it a good yank),the front of the unit is attached by a barb/plug do not twist!
    Insert new unit assemble bulbs in appropiate slots, screw back in, viola, now everybody can see your turn signals! It took me about 15 min to do both sides.
  • 99Od99Od Member Posts: 3
    I see a lot of notes here on "I think I gotta get" items for their Odysseys.
    First off.
    I've been a Honda owner since '85. I had a black '88 Accord, that when I traded it in, people couldn't believe how good it looked versas the mileage. (185K, after 11yrs) I did not buy "paint protection/interior protection" I got 1 can of Scotch Guard that I applied about every 2-3 yrs, and waxed using Meguiers paste wax all it's life. I was stupid in buying an undercoat offered by the dealer, which in later years actually increased rust around the rear wheel wells, my father had a '86 Accord which didn't have it and it was in better shape.
    Nose masks: I bought one for my Accord, only had it on during the summer months, unfortunately you have to take it off in rain, it NEVER took off paint or ruined the clearcoat.
    I bought my 2000 Ody. LX with nothing on it. I got free mats with the purchase so I didn't turn that down, added some better sound,tires, and just going to drive it into the ground.
    So if you are a longterm car owner of 10+years, buying all these hundreds of dollars worth of items doesn't pay off in trade in or longivity.
    Hondas run great up to ~120-130K then little things need attention (boots,some electrical stuff) after 150K the bigger items need replacing, so if you are looking at owning the Odyssey up to that time/mileage this is what the I have seen in my ownership of Hondas.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Nice post, but I don't agree on buying stripped down when keeping van for 10+ years. The extra 2K over 10 years is $200. To me the added items like power seat, auto air, wheels, power doors would be worth it. But to each his own.
  • cassafcassaf Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering an Odyssey with navigation system but I'm having trouble getting information....and certainly can't see one on a lot....

ANy suggestions?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Why not have the dealer order a owners manual for the nav unit and if you buy a van from him he subtracts the price off the order. Either way I wouldn't think it would cost that much. You could even suggest that he keep it after you read it and have it availible for other customers. Or he could even order one and tell Honda it didn't have one on the last order.
  • vibrationvibration Member Posts: 10
    My 2002 Havasu Blue Honda arrived a couple of weeks ago with the naviagtion system. Easy to use, wouldn't be without it on any future car. I seem to have noise coming from the gas tank - hear liquid slushing. Going to call the dealer Monday, anyone have this problem?
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    The sound of gas sloshing around is a common one. You can research the archives and read all about it. About the only thing anyone has been able to do about it is have the dealer apply some sticky tar like stuff to the exterior of the tank. My dealer offered to do it for free but I opted not to have it done. I don't notice it any more.
  • glance1glance1 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know of an auto-matic system that lowers and raises bikes onto the roof? Two hard for my wife to use. Thanks........
  • fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    It's called a Husband.....
  • trosketjtrosketj Member Posts: 8
    I did the same as 99Od above but bought from HandA with same results-an easy do-it-yourself project that is a cheap safety improvement, IMHO. Originally I bought the full tail light set (4 lenses across the back), but kept only the corner lenses and saved money without sacrificing style.

I also installed second-row seat cupholders (my children in seatbelts cannot reach the center tray cupholders), which were worth the cost of cleaning up a spilled soda.
  • ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    I've always had my bikes on the roof which meant I always had to put them up and get them down.

With the Odyssey I opted for a 2" hitch and a 4 bike rack (hitch mount) that tilts down out of the way from the hatch. This leaves room for stuff on top, allows my wife to unload a bike and reduces wind drag as well. Besides, my fork mount Thule bike racks had quick release that broke twice on me sending the bike crashing into the side of my SUV while doing 60 on the freeway.

Unless you want to install a crane on top of your van, you'll have to do it yourself or get the rear mount rack.
  • bfernandbfernand Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my new 2002 Odyssey and was told that the fog lights were an optional feature that the dealer "threw in." I could not find this optional feature anywhere on Edmunds.com as it states that NO optional features are available on the EX-L with Navigation System. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so, how much do these fog lights retail for?
  • ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    I think when Edmunds says there are no optional features they are referring to the factory installed stuff. But you can add fog lights and a whole bunch of nick nacks like mud flaps, cross bars....

I think what you got was worth around $200 if installed by the dealer. You can see prices for Odyssey add ons at Handa.com
  • jbhattjbhatt Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone researched installing a power sunroof considering that Honda does not offer you the option in the USA?

I have been told that it is not possible because of AC/heat ducts in the roof. However the dealership was willing to have it installed for me and suggested that it was not a problem at all.

I am wondering how much risk I would be taking by getting a sunroof installed.

I am also trying to see if anyone has been able to install heated side mirrors.

It is very dissapointing that Honda does not offer these options in the USA. I have seen the sunroof being offered in Japan and I believe the heated side mirrors are available in Canada.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks
  • vibrationvibration Member Posts: 10
    Does any one know where I can get an after market Center Console? The tray on the 2002 Odyssey is worthless - everything slides off.
    Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. (incidentally, the navigation system is great). Thanks.
  • sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    I thought I saw an aftermarket console for minivans in Costco a while back, but don't know if they still carry it. You may check their web site, or the web site of JCWhitney.
  • gatorhawkgatorhawk Member Posts: 23
    can anyone tell me a reasonable price for the rear backup sensors and rear camera which ties into the nav screen?
    Do any readers have any advice for which brand/style hitch to purchase for an Ody? Do any of you like the hitches you have, or have complaints about any of them? Thanks in advance.
  • rljendrljend Member Posts: 1
    I've just ordered the Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com. They have a picture of an Ody installation and although it's not hidden, it looks better than the Honda hitch. I've used etrailer for previous hitch installations and have found them to have the best prices and good service.
  • pammspamms Member Posts: 1
    We researched and researched and finally did it..we bought the Ody EX. I have had a Camry Wagon for years (love it..just time for a new one)and it was dark green with tan interior. I loved the tan, Hated the drk green. It's pretty, but here in the South it gets HOT. ...I SWORE I'd never get another dark car...welllllll, I got a dark VAN. The only things available when we were ready to buy were Sage Brush and the red one..we got the Sage Brush. Now I need help...I want to add one of those lights that shines from under the vehicle (you see them usually in purple or green..I've seen white, and that's what I want) Can that be added to the Ody without voiding any warranties? (it's a safety thing..I think dark cars are hard to see on the road..I want to be seen). Also, the inside is a bit dark and monochromatic. Where can I find ideas for accessories or things that might personalize the inside a bit..maybe lighten it up a little? Is there a place where I can see a listing of 'things' available to add to my new van? I like the van, I think it's a good choice..but I want to LOVE it!
    Thanks!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Just remember to ask the supplier if they include the tranny and PS coolers with the hitch. It is a Honda requirement for continued warranty coverage on '02 / '03 Odyssey.

Steve
  • 03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    Our family will soon be taking a road trip in our 2003 Ody EX. The consensus here seems to be that the Honda roof-mounted luggage solution is underwhelming. Any suggestions on what else might work better and where to buy it? Is it necessary to install cross bars in order to secure a roof-mounted luggage container?
  • mbdsmithmbdsmith Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to remove the center console on 2003 Ody? I want to put a tv/vcr console from our old mini in this space. Is there an easy way to get this tray removed from the vehicle? I can't seem to locate any bolts. Any help would be appreciated.
    The basic side rails are just the start to a roof mount system. I believe that cross bars are a necessity to mount almost anything of any weight or size. Really cannot see how you would secure anything without them.

Steve
  • khcc1khcc1 Member Posts: 7
    We recently leased a new 03 EXL RES. However, the headlights do not appear to be very good. On low, the lights do not extend very far, and on bright, the pattern is not even and leaves dark spots. I am going to ask the dealer when we take it in for the first oil change. But I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem? Is there aftermarket replacement bulbs that are brighter and better?
    Thanks to posts here, I am planning to order and install the "hidden hitch" for my '03 Ody (when weather gets warmer here in NY). From what I read, it bolts on and requires no drilling, nor rear bumper removal. If anyone has knowledge about installing a hitch, is it true that the electrical harness that one orders with the hitch simply plugs into a receptical behind Odyssey interior "wall" near driver side rear wheel well? That would mean that no splicing of wires is necessary, if true.
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    I was looking into our EX roof rack and notice that there were no other rails in the center portion, only the two visible rails on the side. If you think about it, if you put anything on top, it would be sitting on the roof itself and scratch it.

Can anyone tell me if I can buy the rubber rails that go in the middle to protect the roof paint?

Or was this by design to force me to buy a cross bar right away where a system would go on top of that and not on the roof.
    While Honda gives you the side rails for 'free', you are not suppose to use the rack at all unless you buy one of the cross rail options. A basic, general purpose set is available from Honda, or IIRC, you can get options from Thule or others for bikes, canoes, etc.

You are right, there are no rub strips on the roof panel itself. That precludes putting suitcases (or using any of the 'soft bag' carriers) that go between the 4 bars onto the roof panel itself. That is how I usually traveled with my previous vans and wagons. I saw an on-line vendor that sold adheasive strips that go on the roof for this purpose, and was thinking of buying them.

Steve
    Thanks Rob. I had that bookmarked also (and should have posted it).

Steve
    My only concern with these Adhesive roof slats are its durability. I can just seem them peeling off in a couple of years and taking some paint off. I always thought the vans that came with them were screwed down, or am I wrong for thinking this.

I was almost set on the idea that, I guess Honda wants me to buy some kind of a cross bar so not to damage the actual roof, but if these adhesive type prove to be reliable and durable I might actually consider it rather than the crossbar.
    I cannot quote the Honda manual chapter and verse, but in general, most mfgrs are strong in their warnings not to use the roof rack at all without the cross bars installed. Without them, the side rails are subject to flexing, which could damage the roof panel (or at minimum crack the paint). The cross bars complete the 'box' for stability and rigidity.

Even some of the OEM roof slats are adhesive backed. The difference may be, however, that they are often soft inserts in extruded aluminum. A rigid tube is very unlikely to 'roll up' the way a soft vinyl strip might.

When I looked at the Honda roof yesterday I remembered why I had not run out to get the Proliner product. The Proliner looks thin. That would require that you put it on the "high" spots of the roof, not the 4 deep channels. IIRC, my past vans had thick slats placed in the channels. I will have to find a Windstar and Gnd Caravan and have a look.

Steve
    It seems to me the consensus with regards to safety and proper use is for me to get some form of cross bars. I already forwarned the wife to expect some form of an expense down the road, so we should be ok when the time comes to get it.
    The way I see it is the cross bars will cost me around $200 - $250. Any additional cost will depend which direction we go with, either just a flat ski/snowboard rack, or one of those nice cool carriers ($$$).

Thank you everyone for all your advice.
  • harryfatharryfat Member Posts: 132
    Hi,

Like Norman above, we just bought our Ody recently. We're thinking of getting the cross bars as well.

I know the other big name companies besides the Honda that makes the cross bars are Thule and Yakima. Does anybody have any experience/preference on which companies' cross bars are better for the Ody? Or it matters not which cross bars you get?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Harry
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IMHO, either one of the major aftermarket ones are good products. I personally have a Yakima setup which I will eventually use on my Ody.
    I need to retract some things I posted. First off, I looked at a GC & Windstar like my previous ones, and the slats were indeed on the high points, not the low ones.

Second item is an observation. Over the past few days I have come to realize that most of the SUV/vans/wagons produced in the past 2-3 years don't seem to have slats any more. Looks like everyone is dropping them. Makes little sense to me, but it does not seem like Honda is unusual in not including them.

Steve
  • pkillipkilli Member Posts: 1
    I have a Saris bike rack that I would like to use with my 2000 Ody with Rack. The model I have will not work with the factory rack, but will work without a rack (racks are too narrow). Can I remove the rack without having any issues like leaks?
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I went with the odyssey cross bars - bought it less from a 3rd party honda accessory supplier.

For carrying things on top I bought a cargo carier at Target for a cheap $30.00 complete with tie downs - fits perfectly inside the crossbars and folds up nicely when not in use - and no scratches from use. If you tie things down - it will not slide around and cause any sratches.

I put bikes on the back after buying a 2" trailer hitch. You don't need the transmission fan if all your hauling is a bike rack.
  • windwalkermanwindwalkerman Member Posts: 7
    I am considering installing a towing package on a 03 Odyssey to pull a 2000 pound camper. Dealer installed cost is about $950. Kit from HandA is about $450. $500 labor sounds a little high. Anyone installed one? How long did it take and did you have any difficulties? I am also wandering about an aftermarket hitch like Reese. I recognize I need to install the trans and steering coolers to maintain warranty. Is warranty still valid with the aftermarket hitch and Honda coolers?
    If you go to some of the Honda dealer sites (like HandA) you can download the installation instruction for a preview of what is involved. The Honda kit installation is not trivial. You will have to remove both the front and rear bumper to do the trans/PS cooler and the hitch assembly and trailer interface wiring. $500 at $75/hr labor rate is 6+ hours. If I was experienced in this install, I might be able to beat the clock. As a first timer, I highly doubt it... So what is a full day (with a fair share of frustration and maybe something broken) worth to you? I am still not sure as I have been considering the same thing myself!!

Steve - if yours is an '02/'03 you might end up in a major pissing contest with Honda should you have a drivetrain problem in the future. The mere presence of a hitch without the other mods will put you in a defensive position.

Steve
  • kentucky63kentucky63 Member Posts: 14
    What are the advantages of the RES system over the i-VES (or vice versa). Also, would it be better to go with another aftermarket DVD entertainment system (such as an Audiovox unit)?
    Has anyone purchased this? If so, how do you like it? I find the factory armrest to be too short for my long arms -- also the added storage would be nice. Do you have to remove the little flip tray that is attached to the passengers seat? The installation instructions don't say this..
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    fibber2,

I guess it's a possibility that installing a hitch w/o the trany cooler could raise some questions, but I think I would be clear of issues related to pulling a load if I don't pull one.

My 2" hitch cost $150.00 and was easily installed by me in under an hour. I can't justify spending the extra $750 just to haul bikes.
  • dtremblaydtremblay Member Posts: 8
    I own a 03 EXL-RES. I am having problems playing DVD+R media. Has anyone else experienced problems playing DVD+R or DVD-R media on the factory installed DVD System? Can anyone recommend an aftermarket DVD player to replace the factory installed unit that will play DVD+R media?
    I am considering the installation of an i-VES Honda DVD system on my Odyssey. However, I have some questions. I can get the system for hundreds less from www.handaaccessories.com -- however, I would like to have my local dealer do the install. Can a local Honda dealer refuse to do the install on a Honda accessory purchased from another dealer? Also, for anyone who has had this done, how much did installation cost?

I went to a Circuit City and was looking at an Audiovox VOD806 unit -- but the installation folks told me that I COULD NOT use a non-Honda overhead DVD unit in the 2003 Odyssey. They said that the Honda RES unit and the i-VES system came with some sort of bracket support and that non-Honda units could not be used in the Odyssey. They also said something about the type of headliner the Odyssey has in it. I think it was bull, but am not sure. They were stearing me toward some headrest units.

IS THIS TRUE?????
    We have a 2003 EXL RES. Recently purchased a Thomas the Tank DVD. At some point, the player stops and gives us an ERR error. As per the manual they suggest a defect on the DVD, however, when we play the DVD on our home DVD, we do NOT get any errors. It plays right through. What am I missing here?
    Steve,

I do agree with you. You should be allowed to have it exclusively for bikes. But as I own a utility trailer which I use with my Outback, I would be more likely to get myself into trouble.... BTW, what brand/model did you get, and do you like it?

Steve
This discussion has been closed.