Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Problems

Comments

• I have a 2000 model from Canada that I purchased state side at Honda of Fife, in Fife WA. I have had several issues with the speakers buzzing without the radio actually being on, the lights on with the light switch off, the car doors buzzing to indcated they are open with out the lights on the dashboard showing they are open --the doors were closed and I was driving down the road at the time. Has anyone else had any electrical problems with the wiring system?
    I have been told that there are 300 fuses within the car 150 of them run the doors alone. I have 32,000 miles on it now, still love the car -- hate the dealership -- the owner is rude and HATES children! Hard to get service when you feel un-welcomed! I do not recommend FIFE HONDA to anyone -- shop wisely, and really look into TRUE OLD FAHSION CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Hard to find it these days! I am sorry I didn't purchase somewhere else -- like Renton Honda -- Next time I will....
  • len_alen_a Posts: 44
    I'm far from an audio enthusiast but since the beginning I've found the sound system in my Ody to be less than adequate. It's difficult to describe but certain parts of music just sound garbled almost like a vibration as if the speakers can't handle even the most basic low volume music. Honestly, I think my 1990 Civic sounds better. I know the weaknesses in the sound system have been discussed before but the search engine here doesn't seem to be working.

I was never sure what to do about it but yesterday I had the van into the dealer for it's 15k service and explained the problem to them. They said I could have the SPEAKERS replaced under warranty if I wanted. The thing I'm worried about is just getting another set of the same sub-par speakers put in. The dealer said the part number of the speakers had not changed since 2000 indicating that Honda has not changed the speakers available for the 2000 Ody.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with getting the sound system fixed through the dealer? If you had speakers replaced did it help? I guess I have nothing really to lose by letting the dealer replace the speakers since there is no cost to me but it might be just a waste of time.

Please share your experiences with fixing the sound system in the Ody especially if done through the dealer.

BTW, why is the "Honda Odyssey and Sound" board marked 'read only'? I would think this post would belong there. Yes, I'm new.
  • jl926jl926 Posts: 4
    Just got ours 2 weeks ago.

has anyone had the following problem:

Rear Air - turn the fan on high, ac compressor button off. Fan speed in the rear sometimes fluctuates as you are driving around town. This only happens when the fan speed for the rear is on high.

Fluid levels- Both power steering and coolant levels were at high with cold engine. Now after 400 miles with engine cold, levels have dropped about 1/2 inch from the high mark. Is this normal during the break in?

AlSO:

Any break in tips.
    I hear that there is special break in oil in the engine and one should not change this oil until the first 5k miles or 5 months whichever comes first.

Thanks all for your help!

Town Hall Vans Honda Odyssey Problems

©1995 - 2002 Edmunds.com, Inc.
    All rights reserved Home | New | Used | Reviews | Advice | News | Ownership | Newsletters | Town Hall | Help
  • Not really a problem but this seemed like the closest forum for this question. I have 3 sons, 10, 2 and infant. Where are people putting their childseats as a rule?

I'd like to put the infant in the 2nd row right seat pushed to the middle and my 2 year old in the 2nd row left seat. My 10 year old can basically sit anywhere.

I like this arrangement because it allows me to use the 3rd row magic seat without having to touch the childseats. Is safety a concern? Should I have one of the children (probably infant) in the center seat of the 3rd row? Or is anywhere but the front row more or less equally safe. (Especially considering this is about as safe of a vehicle as you can ride in).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • len_alen_a Posts: 44
    It would seem this message board is not very active. Only a few new posts this year and they are mostly questions or comments to which no one replies. There must be a better forum for Odyssey questions ...
  • sgergensgergen Posts: 155
    Go to www.odyclub.com

Lots of information on all Odysseys!

Scott
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    in the owners area and choose the "other" Problems forum. It's very active. You will also find the main comments area. I'm not sure why the moderators have not consolidated all the topics.
  • Hi!
    I have 2000 Honda Odyssey EX. I have driven about 18000 miles for two years.
    Welll, it has started about 6 months ago that my driver side sliding door wasn't closing. So, I took to the dealer, and guess what. They already had plenty of part ready for my problem (sliding door latchet? I remember that I had to wait a week to get my climate control switch for my old Dodge Caravan). Anyway, this guy told me that Honda had a recall on 1999, which is same as my car but year older. He told me that my passenger side will go bad as well.
    Guess What!!!
    It happend about two months later. Oh well, now I have brand new door latchet for both of my sliding door.
    Is my problem over? Nope.
    About Month ago, (two months after they fix them), my drive side sliding door goes nut. This time, it stop working completely. Oh well, dealer told me that my computer stop working for the door. Hmmmmmm. Now Computer?
    Anyway, I am on his watch out list. He asked me to call him directly, if I have same problem.

Hmmmmm. What happen if I ever moved to other city after the warranty expires?

Anyway, I think HONDA should recall the sliding door and should extend our warranty. Because it's not the mechanical problem (?), rather it's a design fault.

By the way, I have tried to put some review on this site, and it's not showing up (I did twice).
    Do they only accept a good review for Honda?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    They don't automatically appear when posted. It can take up to a week before they are listed on that particular model page. Check back in a few days.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• canuck12canuck12 Posts: 5
    I had a problem with my CR-V and after broadcasting info to various forums, several Odyssey owners reported similar problems.
    Be Prepared.....
    See www.visualimpressions.ca/switch for full details
  • steveypsteveyp Posts: 1
    '00 LX -- I have had to jump the vehicle several times due to battery drain. A couple of times because of kids/lights. However, today the car lost electrical power after a 15 minute drive. It would not restart when starter engaged, with a clicking noise heard from engine. After removing the key the dashboard lit up, and then without key in-- I could raise/lower windows. Checked the boards and I haven't seen such electrical type problems reported. Maybe bad alternator?

Edit--

Just read previous post (#91)... maybe this is the problem...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I'd say it's a bad ignition as no matter what the alternater does the windows can't go up and down unless the circuit is complete, which means the key is on or a faulty key switch. Happens to lots of cars, the switch goes bad. Another tip for everyone and that is if you have a car with one of those keys that has the resistor in it so your car can't be started without the proper key. If you drop it and it gets a little wet and you put it in the ignition it can temporary make your car so it can't read the signal and won't start until the key and ignition switch both dry.
  • 4grand4grand Posts: 5
    We are the happy owners of a 2001 Honda Odyssey Navi, purchased in May 2001. Excellent service.
    Had a problem with wind noise in roof rack at first but thanks to Edmunds, not the Honda dealer, problem solved. Now I need help.

As a grandparent of young grandchildren, I need to purchase a new car seat. We already have went through 2, but want one that can be anchored
    into the seats of our Odyssey. I understand using the togls (or whatever they are called)in the rear of the seats, it is not necessary to have to use the seatbelts to run through the car seat to secure them.

Has anyone purchased these new car seats that can
    be used in the Odyssey. I need one that will hold a child 20-30#s to 75-80#s. I know they are out there, but havent had luck in finding. Could anyone pleezzzzzze give me a name and model(& possible store where purchased) of one that they have purchased recently that is made for the Odyssey & newer vehicles. Thanks
  • I have 2001 Odyssey (~40K miles on it already, but mostly Freeway driving) and it jerks and grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It only happens when it's cold or that's when I notice the most. After driving for about 5 minutes the problem seems to disappear.
    I took it to a dealer and had transmission fluid replaced, but doesn't seem to help much at all. What should I do?
  • jeffreykimjeffreykim Posts: 7
    Has anyone heard about Differntial Bearings problem in 2001 model. My Odyssey started having transmission problems and started leaking fluid. I took it to a dealer and found the problem in Differential Bearings inside the casing along the axle. The dealer recommended replacing the whole tranny - estimate $5100. I took my odyssey to a local transmission shop and they also said the problem is in Differential Bearings. My mechanic also told me that he just got another Odyssey with the same problem. I wonder if this is a common problem for 2001 odyssey?
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    There is one odyclub web site, there are lots of discussion there. you may want to check it out.
  • jeffreykimjeffreykim Posts: 7
    Thanks bjk2001. I did check out www.odyclub.com and found out many people had the same or similar problem as mine. I think there definitely is a pattern and that is the tranny makes grinding or rumble noise at about 50-55 mph constantly shifting up and down between 3rd and 4th gear. I think the noise is due to bad Differential Bearings. Now the question is why do bearings go bad so early? Can anyone with Mechanical/Automotive Engineering background answer that for all of us Ody owners?
  • horstmanjahorstmanja Posts: 1
    My 2002 Odyssey produces a low wind whistle a speeds above 65mph, especially with cross winds, which generally exist. It seems to be coming from the right front at the bottom of the windshield, but noise sources can be difficult to pinpoint. It is very annoying during long trips.
    I've tried duct taping various spots with no success and welcome ideas, especially if someone
    has fixed the problem.
  • dchoppdchopp Posts: 256
    I havn't heard any noise as you indicated. I have a bug shield. Maybe that is diverting some of the airflow.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Did you get the optional crossbars for the roof rack? If so that is most likely your trouble. A lot of dealers/people don't seem to know the proper way of installing them. If not, there shouldn't be any noise as I have never heard it here except for the cross bars.
This discussion has been closed.