Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Kia Rio5: Real Time Fuel Economy (MPG).

1789101113»

Comments

• phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    I had`nt heard about a Civil Suit or any "Class Action" Case started and filed by any Consumers. I thought that I perhaps would have been the lone Plaintiff looking by the Kia Rio "Cheerleaders" that keep Posting (higher) mileage results then the the Original "inflated" EPA estimates. I will state, for the record, I have bought a combination of 5 New Hyundai/Kia Vehicles in the past and probably will consider doing so again in the future. In my opinion, despite the fact of my disappointment in my 2012 Kia Rio5`s dismal fuel economy, I`m convinced that HKAG manufacturers a quality line of dependable/affordable Vehicles with the (best) New Car Warranty in the business. My dis-satifaction is in regards strictly to sub-par fuel economy for a B-Segment/ Sub Compact Car. Styling, performance, value, and comfort actually exceeded my expectations. I apologize to those that I have possibly offended with their Religious devotion to the Kia Brand by any of my previous Posts. Cheers
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624

What a winter! The coldest one in the Twin Cities since 1978-9 (I was here for that one, too). But it was a good lesson of the effect of cold weather on fuel economy. I made several trips from the Twin Cities to Rochester this winter, about 170 miles round trip. Almost all of them were in my Rio5. Most of the miles are on a 4-lane highway with a (mostly) 65 mph limit. I don't stray much from that, especially in winter. I saw a huge difference in FE depending on temperature. On this trip in the summer and fall, I got a bit over 40 mpg. But when the temps were cold, i.e. below zero F, I could only manage low-to-mid 30s. When temps were in the teens, mpg went up to upper 30s. Then recently the cold spell finally broke and we saw some 30s and 40s, and I was back to 40+ mpg again. Similarly, in around-town driving, I was getting low-to-mid 30s this summer and fall, but that dipped as low as the mid-20s in below-zero weather--which we had a lot of this winter, over 50 days of it. Now that temps are warmer, 20s-40s, the around-town average is slowly creeping up and is at 31 mpg today, rising steadily as the temps have gone up.

Just another example of "YMMV". Winter in MN is a lot different than winter in, say, San Diego.

1789101113»