Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Kia Rio5: Real Time Fuel Economy (MPG).

12345679»

Comments

• phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    I had`nt heard about a Civil Suit or any "Class Action" Case started and filed by any Consumers. I thought that I perhaps would have been the lone Plaintiff looking by the Kia Rio "Cheerleaders" that keep Posting (higher) mileage results then the the Original "inflated" EPA estimates. I will state, for the record, I have bought a combination of 5 New Hyundai/Kia Vehicles in the past and probably will consider doing so again in the future. In my opinion, despite the fact of my disappointment in my 2012 Kia Rio5`s dismal fuel economy, I`m convinced that HKAG manufacturers a quality line of dependable/affordable Vehicles with the (best) New Car Warranty in the business. My dis-satifaction is in regards strictly to sub-par fuel economy for a B-Segment/ Sub Compact Car. Styling, performance, value, and comfort actually exceeded my expectations. I apologize to those that I have possibly offended with their Religious devotion to the Kia Brand by any of my previous Posts. Cheers
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,758

What a winter! The coldest one in the Twin Cities since 1978-9 (I was here for that one, too). But it was a good lesson of the effect of cold weather on fuel economy. I made several trips from the Twin Cities to Rochester this winter, about 170 miles round trip. Almost all of them were in my Rio5. Most of the miles are on a 4-lane highway with a (mostly) 65 mph limit. I don't stray much from that, especially in winter. I saw a huge difference in FE depending on temperature. On this trip in the summer and fall, I got a bit over 40 mpg. But when the temps were cold, i.e. below zero F, I could only manage low-to-mid 30s. When temps were in the teens, mpg went up to upper 30s. Then recently the cold spell finally broke and we saw some 30s and 40s, and I was back to 40+ mpg again. Similarly, in around-town driving, I was getting low-to-mid 30s this summer and fall, but that dipped as low as the mid-20s in below-zero weather--which we had a lot of this winter, over 50 days of it. Now that temps are warmer, 20s-40s, the around-town average is slowly creeping up and is at 31 mpg today, rising steadily as the temps have gone up.

Just another example of "YMMV". Winter in MN is a lot different than winter in, say, San Diego.

• dchevdchev Posts: 38

I agree with Phill1 about fuel economy of 2012+ Kia Rio 5. Fuel economy is not what Kia had advertised. I usually get 25-26 MPG city and 32-35 MPG highway. Average is somewhere around 30-31 MPG. It has been driving me crazy for the first 12 months of ownership; however, I try not to think about it anymore. The car is well built and has lots of upgrades (I have the SX model), and This makes up for the bad gas millage. If I have to buy another Kia, I might wait and think very hard about it because there are so many other good choices right now-maybe middle size car would be better considering that it is bigger and has better gas millage than the Rio.
    Just enjoy your cars guys and spend your money on other things in life.

P.S. The car has been very reliable, and I hope it stays the same way :)!

Did a road trip Monday-Tuesday, 80 miles each way, in my 2013 Rio5 AT. Outbound was under nearly ideal conditions: ~60 degrees, light wind, dry. Kept speed at just over 65 mph most of the way with a few slower stretches for construction and a couple of stops. FE was 42.9 mpg. The return was another story: strong headwinds, ~50 degrees, and I went a little faster, up to 70 much of the way. Also more stops as I went a slightly different route the last 20 miles. FE was only 37.9 mpg... but still over the car's EPA highway rating.

I'm just finishing up the 3rd of the best 3 tanks of mixed-use FE I've had with my 2013 Rio5 LX AT. The last 3 tanks have averaged 36.7, 36.0, and 35.2 mpg, for an overall average of 36. I attribute these results to the mild weather this summer, resulting in less AC use than normal, and the fact I don't regularly drive in rush-hour traffic--although each tank did include some of that plus almost all urban driving, both freeways and city/suburban streets. Also I think the FE is improving as the engine gets more miles on it. It has nearly 10k on it now. I'm seeing the FE slip a bit as the weather gets cooler and warmup in the morning is longer; we've had lows in the upper 30s to low 40s recently.