Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• axiomloveraxiomlover Posts: 214
    Hi Oldengineer, the power may not be overwhelming in the 2.5, but I was surprised at a recent full acceleration from the red light standing next to an Infinity G35 coupe. We were going head-to-head at the first gear (G35 was manual, too) and through half of the second gear, when 280 horses in G35 showed their teeth and left me behind. Still, I never expected to be faster than G35, but having paid $13K less, I felt pretty happy about my ride and its image.
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    I'm glad you and some others got a great deal but now you should want the price to increase dramatically! ;-)

BTW, whatever happened to your whining drivetrain problem? You posted on 1/17 that you would let us know what the dealer said when you took your car back in.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    "$23,000 Jaguars are not a good idea for Jaguar or for those who want the Jaguar name to carry some cachet."

I agree. They should make a $45,000 V-8-powered F-Type sports car instead.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    Further, I wouldn't be suprised to see fuel economy to decrease with the use of 87 octane. In that case, it's penny wise and poung foolish not to spring for the $0.20 extra per gallon for premium.
    Postoak, please look at post #2100 where I discribed my dealer visit regarding the drivetrain noise. In a nutshell, the noise is still there, but I will probably wait until my 10K-mile service before I bring it up again and ask the dealer to replace the differential and whatever other issues arise. Since the replacement of a driveshaft did not fix the noise and Jaguar ordered the mechanic to install a noise shield under the carriage of the vehicle, they probably don't have a mechanical solution for the issue. Not yet, anyway. Hopefully, if enough people keep complaining, Jaguar will be forced to improve their engineering. BTW, the mechanic who test drove the car with me said: "You should hear what an early '02 X-Type sounds like at highway speeds" suggesting, of course, that drivetrain was so loud.
    I reread post #2100 but I'm not clear on whether or not they installed the noise shield on your vehicle. If they did, what percentage of the noise did it eliminate?
    Sorry I wasn't clear. They did install the shield, but I cannot say it made a significant difference. The noise may be a bit more muffled, but it is definitely still audible.
    that you (axiomlover) and tgilbertjag made regarding your whine. You both had the differentials replaced, to no avail, and you had the driveshaft replaced, also with no result. What I didn't notice is whether either of you noticed oldengineer's post that *his* whining problem was solved when the service department replaced his torqueconverter flexplate. Maybe you should have them check that.

postoak
  • Hello All, I was fed up the issues on my 2004 xtype, so i went to the dealer and they were GREAT. I ended up moving to a 2002 S Type loaded with a 4.0V8 and the navigation system. No noises at all like the X Type. Good luck to you all.....
    Hey tgilbertjag, congrats on an S-Type. So, what's next, perhaps XJ8 or XK8? Just curious how much you got for the X-Type in trade in dollars?
    This would have been a good place to look, postoak, but my X-Type has manual transmission, so no torque converter flexplate here. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  • Hey, I went to the owner of the dealership here in Minneapolis and explained my situation. This was the BEST experience I have ever had with a dealer. He actually have me back ALL of my 27000 I paid then 4 months ago. I then put that toward the S-Type. So, I got 27000 for it. If anyone here is in the Minneapolis area, goto to Downtown Jag and Speak to Scott Allen or the owner, Mike Jensen. They have restored my faith in Car Dealers......
    right! (Insert a smacks head icon here).
    Man, ($27K)that is unbelievable! However, I wonder how much they would give you if you did not buy another car from them?
  • I'm not surprised. I own an 05 Chrysler Sebring with the 200HP V6. Even though my Jag 2.5 automatic has less HP and is heavier, it'll suck the headlights out of the Chrysler. I've always wondered if the Jag 2.5 actually makes a few more ponies than the "official" published ratings.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • serbayserbay Posts: 1
    You may have not had your car long enough to answer this. My 2004 x-type, 2.5 manual eats through oil. At 4200 miles I had to add 5 qts. and after my first oil change at 7500 miles it needed 2 qts. after less than 4000 miles! The dealer tells me this is within tolerable limits, but other mechanics say there is something wrong. Would be interested in knowing how much and how ofter (if at all) you end up needing oil.

Thanks!
    Serbay, I am sorry you are having oil consumption issues. I used to own Isuzu, which was going through 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles, which was frustrating, but dealer commented that up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable. Well, I have 4400 miles on my 2.5 X-Type and I have to gladly admit that so far it has burned no oil, whatsoever. I have been watching the oil level closely as I am sensitive to this issue. The color of the oil is no longer like honey, but still quite light. Modern 4-stroke engines should not be burning oil!!! The dealers and manufacturers will be saying that 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable because it is convenient to say so and the remedy would usually involve replacing piston rings, which is a major expensive repair. From what I've noticed, oil consumption is a hit or miss in any particular vehicle. My neighbor's Isuzu burned no oil at all and mine was thirsty like a horse. If a new car/engine burns oil, it doesn't usually indicate that the engine will stall or "blow up" rather that it was poorly matched in the factory during the cylinder drilling/honing and matching the pistons and rings to a particular cylinder. Although my Isuzu would burn oil, the engine was powerful, quiet and did not act abnormal. If I can give you some advice, try to keep a log of your engine oil consumption based on the number of miles driven and amount of oil added. Then present it to the service adviser or Jag rep. Also, if you replace your oil with one of higher viscosity (such as 20W50), you should be able to slow down the rate of consumption. If my wife's '99 hard-driven Daewoo has never burned any oil in its 64K-mile "career" then no Jaguar should burn any oil, neither. Good luck and let us know if the consumption gets better with mileage. The Jaguar manual actually does talk about oil consumption, stating that it might be higher when the engine is new, but I think it is just another way for the manufacturer to cover up the real quality issues.
    After 3 months of ownership and 4400 miles, here is a summary of 3 types of "unusual" noises I am consistently hearing while driving my X-Type:

1. whining, cyclical noise at 70mph and higher, unrelated to engine speed, road condition or gear.

2. humming noise usually audible the strongest at moderate speeds, only upon acceleration and going away with letting go off the throttle.

3. high-pitch whistling sound (definitely coming from the engine area) mostly heard at 4th and 5th gear with speeds of 40-50mph. Goes away with the foot off the throttle. This noise wasn't present until about 2000 miles.

If any of you can comment on any of those, I would appreciate it. The dealer "addressed" the first and second noise, but did not fix neither.
  • david330david330 Posts: 2
    FYI- starting 1 Apr 05 all 2005.5 x-types and Options will have new package structures.

Base model MSRPs will be slightly lowered and larger inclusive option packages will be instituted with net overall reduction in options price.

Non-wagon & non-sport models will still be at like 'give it away deals' As long as its not a 'stripper', 3.5k-4k off MSRP will be the norm.

Sport & Wagons their a little more firm about the price, 2K-2.5K off MSRP.

In both cases they moved to this range easily or was their first offer so a little patience, persistance and 'playing hardball' get you a little better than these ranges off MSRP with minimal effort.

Don't know if present or new similar incentives will be available. Jag seems to be off and on with incentives quarter by quarter. The company is living their life a 'quarter at a time' to keep afloat, not counting Fords help.

oh, P.S. Dealers are authorized to sell at new lower 2005.5 prices starting Mar 21 on models manufactured after 01 Jan 05. You must ask about this they wont just offer this info to you.