Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Well chicagofred, to put your mind at ease..."they all do that." This is the favorite reply from service writers everywhere but in this case it is true. There was a big discussion of this noise on another board and the only plausible explanation I saw from Jaguar was that it was the temperature sensor which runs all the time.
  • manofluvmanofluv Posts: 4
    2178 of 2178 New Owner by manofluv Jul 11, 2005 (10:19 am)

I got an "05" X-Type VDP a few weeks ago I so far so good. I also own
    a "04" highlander. My wife wanted a Camery of Avalon I talked her into
    the Jaguar. The jag has a personality all it's own and my wife and I love it. I
    wanted the X-Type because of the AWD. I wanted the Jag because its a Jag. Every
    car has it's problems. My Highlander came with a remote start and sometimes the
    car just starts on its own and no one knows why; but I wont bash Toyota or the
    Highlander for that.
  • mattr82mattr82 Posts: 41
    Hi Manofluv,
    Congrats on your new car! We are pretty much looking for the exact same vehicle (X-TYPE VDP with navigation-we are looking for a metallic platinum with ebony interior) Could you give me an idea on how much we should be paying, how the negotiation of the car went, and how the whole experience was. We are in New Jersey. Thanks again in advance. We have not been able to get much information for this particular car from anyone.
    All the best,
    Matt
  • manofluvmanofluv Posts: 4
    I think I paid to much for my car but they had the one I wanted and I didn't feel like fighting. I got the Ebony with the Ivory interior. My wife just loves the car now she gets plenty of attention from on lookers while driving the Jag.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Posts: 214
    This message board has been surprisingly quiet about the notorious howling, droning and whining of the X-Type's drivetrain. I am slowly approaching the 10000 mile mark, which means I will be getting my first scheduled maintenance in my '04 2.5 manual model. The noise is extremely annoying at highway speeds, but it goes away below 50 mph. X-Type is an awesome vehicle, lots of fun to drive and otherwise trouble free, but the drivetrain noise is simply unacceptable in a luxury car. Honestly, I wouldn't accept it in a Kia or any other non-luxury car. The last "fix" the dealer installed was a noise-muffleing cover for the undercarriage, but it did not help much. Am I the only one left with this trouble?

Also, I noticed that my 2.5 engine does not always idle smoothly. It will sometimes, especially soon after stopping, drop rpm to 500, then bring it back up to 900 to finally settle on 700 or so. It almost feels like it is ready to stall, although it never did actually stall. Any ideas?
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    I guess the lack of replies denotes that the rest of us have cars that are not exhibiting these traits and are perfect :D My '02 escaped most of the early build problems and my current '05 sport has been trouble free so far. I'm sure you know that you can take your car in for the 10K service after 12 months no matter what the mileage. Sounds like you should insist on a fix even if you have to get a factory rep involved.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Posts: 214
    I remember many X owners posting their issues with the loud drivetrain several months ago. Perhaps they gave up on a solution and are just living with a noisy Jag or by now they traded them in for something quieter.
  • I have a 2002 X-type that has an intermittent whirring noise that comes from the steering wheel. Has anyone had the same problem? I mentioned this once to the Jag service dept. prior to last service and they seemed to recognize the problem but did not say what it was. When I picked up the car the noise was not there but now it has returned. Any ideas on this topic?
  • Please provide more detail on your problem i.e. when you hear it, is it when the car is running, engine reving or ignition off? How loud is the noise?
  • It only happens when the car is running normally. You turn the steering wheel and there is a whirring noise. But not all of the time. No rhyme or reason as to when it will happen or when it won't. Not doing anything special. Just driving normally. Happens when turning left and right. The noise is not very loud. But it is clear.
    I just found on auto.consumerguide.com a listed problem which may be the answer. It says that the 2002 X-type had a problem with noise from the power steering system. It requires the system to be flushed and a revised fluid to be added. So I am going back to the Jag dealer to have it looked at.
  • Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this issue and don't have it in my 2004. I would certainly take it up with the dealership.
  • I got the car back from the dealer. They did flush and replace the power steering fluid for me. At this moment the car does not make any noise. It seems this problem only applies to the 2002 model. It also seems that the dealers don't do anything about it unless you complain. Hopefully the problem is now solved.
  • I am glad the dealer fixed your issue, but you are correct, they won't fix it until you complain about it, usually more than once.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Excuse me if I'm coming in on this a little late in the game, but all the talk of the end of the X-type after 2009 makes me wonder what will replace it? Certainly, Jaguar can't have the S-type be the entry point. Mercedes is willing to go as low as the C-class, and BMW has their 3 Series. It just makes sense that Jaguar would offer some sort of entry vehicle. So, if it's not the X-type, what would it be? Anyone know anything about this? Also, isn't it entirely possible that the last model years of the X-type could be a good purchase decision?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    So, if it's not the X-type, what would it be?

a Ford :)
  • X-types are already at a great discount when compared to Bimmers and Benzes. From what I heard, Jaguar wants to re-establish itself as truly luxurious brand, so they are not planning to have an entry level replacement for the X. S-Type will most likely be the entry model.
  • jwhjwh Posts: 1
    My 2002 X-Type just threw a rod through the core and resulted in a blown engine. The dealer advised the cost to repair is $11,000 minimum and possibly $13,000 if the transfer case was also impacted. Since the car is a 2002 with approximately 75,000 miles, even the techs suggested I not get it fixed.
    Two questions:
    1. Has anyone else had this experience?
    2. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with a loaded 2002 X-Type (premium sound, nav system, standard transmission) where everything is in excellent condition except the engine/transfer case?
    The car is located in Colorado Springs, CO.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,598
    Look for a used engine and have it installed or take it to another shop that may rebuild it.
  • Shoulda gotten a Hyundai with a 100K mile warranty! Just kidding, sorry to hear about your trouble, that's really too bad. How can they ask $13,000 for an engine replacement if the car isn't worth much more in trade-in? There must be a totaled X-Type somewhere out there sitting with a perfect engine. I would suggest going to a local shop to see if they could help. Their rates or total price would definitely be less than dealership's. A thrown rod can do a lot of damage, so I would advise against trying to fix the engine, especially that you've put 75K miles on it already.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
  • I own a 03 X Type with the AJ-V6 and it has 44600 miles. The engine has failed and Jag's area rep will not honor the warranty. He claims the engine is neglected and slugded up. In fact I have been very careful about getting the oil and filter changed. Now I am left with a $8,000 bill for the repair. I would never have expected this failure. Rest assure I do not have or share the same thoughts about the car as others do. My campagin is to defame the name Jaguar at every corner. If I felt I was in the wrong I would back down and accept this as a problem I caused. In my heart of hearts I know I am not. The car might look pretty but that is all it will do now is sit there and look pretty. Is this Jaguars method of cost reduction? Well we will see how this plays out. Buyer be aware, the car is only as good as the warranty and the warranty is the worse. The only thing less impressive then the car is the warranty. :cry: