Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• own a 03 X Type with the AJ-V6 and it has 44600 miles. The engine has failed and Jag's area rep will not honor the warranty. He claims the engine is neglected and slugded up. In fact I have been very careful about getting the oil and filter changed. Now I am left with a $8,000 bill for the repair. I would never have expected this failure. Rest assure I do not have or share the same thoughts about the car as others do. My campagin is to defame the name Jaguar at every corner. If I felt I was in the wrong I would back down and accept this as a problem I caused. In my heart of hearts I know I am not. The car might look pretty but that is all it will do now is sit there and look pretty. Is this Jaguars method of cost reduction? Well we will see how this plays out. Buyer be aware, the car is only as good as the warranty and the warranty is the worse. The only thing less impressive then the car is the warranty.
  • Since the there would have been only four oil changes per the factory recommendation, don't you have receipts? The oil changes were free from Jaguar. Who did your oil changes?
  • For sure. I have five receipts from oil and filter changes. Including state inspection and a random light bulb that went out. I presented them and still there disallowing the repair. I am aware that the service is free. Purely as a matter of convenience, 100 yards from my office door is a service station. That same service station takes care of the cars from my office. I would go to work park in the service station, walk to my office (100 yds) and pick it up when ever I was ready to leave. Second, I have a degree in Automotive Technology. I am certainly qualified to change the oil and filter by myself. I have additional receipts for the oil and filters I purchased at a local auto supply place. So aside from the four or five receipts from the service station, I have a two bills from the local supply house where I made the purchase of the oil and filter. The car is not neglected by any stretch. If there is a sludge condition, then there was some other contributing factor. Search the web for sludge engines and get a feel for the thousands of people that have similar problems. Look into the reports posted in Car and Driver mag. Call the Center for Auto Safety and speak to Bill Ditlo. I am not alone in this.
  • I thought I saw a pop up add that said the 2.2 diesel X type would be available in the US. Does anybody know if this is correct?
  • I don't understand how they could not cover the repair or engine replacement under warranty if the car is still under warranty? Sludge or no sludge, if you changed your oils then there is nothing else you could have done to "save" the engine, unless you reved it up to 8K rpm or mix oil with sand (but why would you?). There must be a legal action you can take to get paid for this.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    I'll go out on a limb - was the correct oil used??
  • I did have the services performed at other then the Jag dealer. Those services were oil and filter changes, a light bulb or two and state inspections. This same service station services all of my companies’ cars. In addition I have a degree in Automotive Technology from a local Long Island university. Aside for the services being performed at the service station, I changed the oil and filter in my garage myself. I certainly think my AAS Degree qualifies me to do so. Besides, lets face it, is an oil and filter change all that hard? There was a precedence set in the courts in the late 90's that the vehicle did not have to be returned to the dealer for this type of maintenance to maintain the warranty. The case was won and awarded to the consumer. That case was also a sludge condition in the engine. I faxed the articles to the dealer ands to Jaguar North America concern the precedence and the Car & Driver reports on engine sludge. The service director, a fancy name for a guy who we all know as a service manger at any other dealership, claims he was shocked at reading the articles, the precedence and are rep, Bill MacKiegans, decision. The lesson to be learned here folks is that Jaguar is not the consumer friendly corporation they let you believe. I fully intend to get my pound of flesh out of them. Saturday I have arranged to picket the dealer and will be doing so for the next few Saturdays. I intend to make sure that as many people know about the underhanded practices of Jaguar. Further, I am going to do a press release on the same matter. Jaguar is not going to get away with disallowing the warranty on this car. I am also working with a web designer to put up a rather attractive site about Jaguars Bill MacKiegan, the area rep. Here is a guy who does not talk to the public according to the dealer staff. Yet, he is making the decision on my car not being covered by the terms of the warranty. The warranty is a joke. The attorney general office has also been contacted as I have filed a complaint with them. You can be certain that when it is all said and done, Jaguar will have spent much more money then they would have spent to simply repair my vehicle. I would like to think, that their legal department will recognize that and advise that the vehicle be repaired. Often decisions are made by the likes of this guy MacKiegan and overturned because they have no legal basis. Again as far as the lesson to be learned, well think about the fact that Jaguar put out a car that the engine failed in 44,600 miles, their area rep, who does not talk to the general public, disallowed the warranty claim, will be responsible for the picketers at the dealership on Saturdays their most busy sales day, and they will be dragged through the courts and more then likely wind up fixing my car anyway. I have learned that their warranty is worthless. I have learned that their quality is considerably less then my wives 1993 Plymoth Sundance with 192,454 miles on it, which is still running as strong as can be with the same engine and transmission. (Serviced by myself and the same service station I have been taking my Jag to) There was something inherently wrong with my vehicle for it to ha sludge in the engine and I will not be held responsible for the premature failure. It may look pretty, in fact sitting there now with a blown engine it looks pretty. But that is it. It is worthless just like the warranty it was sold with. DO NOT BUY A JAGUAR unless you enjoy being raped.
  • I can understand you asking that. In todays market, a poor quality oil is somewhat hard to come by. Try going into a auto parts house and finding a non detergent oil. Further, try and find an oil that does not meet with all the specs that new car manufacturers claim are necessary. Lots of Luck..... The fact is I am sure you can find it if you look hard enough, but at that the oil has been changed seven times in 44000 miles. Inferior oil is just not a likely consideration. Jaguar has put my engine together and there is an inherent problem that has caused this failure.
  • My 2003 X Type engine blew a hole in the block also. For sure, I have five receipts from oil and filter changes. Including state inspection and a random light bulb that went out. I presented them and still they’re disallowing the repair. I am aware that the service is free. Purely as a matter of convenience, 100 yards from my office door is a service station. That same service station takes care of the cars from my office. I would go to work park in the service station, walk to my office (100 yds) and pick it up when ever I was ready to leave. Second, I have a degree in Automotive Technology. I am certainly qualified to change the oil and filter by myself. I have additional receipts for the oil and filters I purchased at a local auto supply place. So aside from the four or five receipts from the service station, I have two bills from the local supply house where I made the purchase of the oil and filter. The car is not neglected by any stretch. If there is a sludge condition, then there was some other contributing factor. Search the web for sludge engines and get a feel for the thousands of people that have similar problems. Look into the reports posted in Car and Driver mag. Call the Center for Auto Safety and speak to Bill Ditlo. I am not alone in this.

I did have the services performed at other then the Jag dealer. Those services were oil and filter changes, a light bulb or two and state inspections. This same service station services all of my companies’ cars. In addition I have a degree in Automotive Technology from a local Long Island university. Aside for the services being performed at the service station, I changed the oil and filter in my garage myself. I certainly think my AAS Degree qualifies me to do so. Besides, lets face it, is an oil and filter change all that hard? There was a precedence set in the courts in the late 90's that the vehicle did not have to be returned to the dealer for this type of maintenance to maintain the warranty. The case was won and awarded to the consumer. That case was also a sludge condition in the engine. I faxed the articles to the dealer ands to Jaguar North America concern the precedence and the Car & Driver reports on engine sludge. The service director, a fancy name for a guy who we all know as a service manger at any other dealership, claims he was shocked at reading the articles, the precedence and are rep, Bill MacKiegans, decision. The lesson to be learned here folks is that Jaguar is not the consumer friendly corporation they let you believe. I fully intend to get my pound of flesh out of them. Saturday I have arranged to picket the dealer and will be doing so for the next few Saturdays. I intend to make sure that as many people know about the underhanded practices of Jaguar. Further, I am going to do a press release on the same matter. Jaguar is not going to get away with disallowing the warranty on this car. I am also working with a web designer to put up a rather attractive site about Jaguars Bill MacKiegan, the area rep. Here is a guy who does not talk to the public according to the dealer staff. Yet, he is making the decision on my car not being covered by the terms of the warranty. The warranty is a joke. The attorney general office has also been contacted as I have filed a complaint with them. You can be certain that when it is all said and done, Jaguar will have spent much more money then they would have spent to simply repair my vehicle. I would like to think, that their legal department will recognize that and advise that the vehicle be repaired. Often decisions are made by the likes of this guy MacKiegan and overturned because they have no legal basis. Again as far as the lesson to be learned, well think about the fact that Jaguar put out a car that the engine failed in 44,600 miles, their area rep, who does not talk to the general public, disallowed the warranty claim, will be responsible for the picketers at the dealership on Saturdays their most busy sales day, and they will be dragged through the courts and more then likely wind up fixing my car anyway. I have learned that their warranty is worthless. I have learned that their quality is considerably less then my wives 1993 Plymoth Sundance with 192,454 miles on it, which is still running as strong as can be with the same engine and transmission. (Serviced by myself and the same service station I have been taking my Jag to) There was something inherently wrong with my vehicle for it to ha sludge in the engine and I will not be held responsible for the premature failure. It may look pretty, in fact sitting there now with a blown engine it looks pretty. But that is it. It is worthless just like the warranty it was sold with. DO NOT BUY A JAGUAR unless you enjoy being raped.

Jag's are not wotrth the metal they are made of, trust me everyone I com in contact with will get an earfull about Jaguar from me.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    I can understand you asking that. In todays market, a poor quality oil is somewhat hard to come by. Try going into a auto parts house and finding a non detergent oil. Further, try and find an oil that does not meet with all the specs that new car manufacturers claim are necessary.

But you didn't answer the question: did the oil used meet Jaguar specifications?

I have a VW Passat. It is almost impossible to find the required synthetic oil except at a VW dealer.

I wish you luck in your campaign.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My guess would be jag specifies synthetic, as their oil change interval is 10,000 miles.
  • Your guess is incorrect. Jaguar does not specify synthetic oil.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    Excuse me if I'm coming in on this a little late in the game, but all the talk of the end of the X-type after 2009 makes me wonder what will replace it? Certainly, Jaguar can't have the S-type be the entry point. Mercedes is willing to go as low as the C-class, and BMW has their 3 Series. It just makes sense that Jaguar would offer some sort of entry vehicle. So, if it's not the X-type, what would it be? Anyone know anything about this? Also, isn't it entirely possible that the last model years of the X-type could be a good purchase decision?

Jaguar should drop the X-Type and stick with the aluminum XJ, new aluminum XK, and make an aluminum S-Type. They wanted to make over 200,000 cars, but they are now going to scale back production. Three cars (S-Type, XJ, XK) using one aluminum chassis (XJ) is a great idea.
  • The Car Connection said that Jaguar had already decided not to use the aluminum body for the SType. Too expensive. (Could be a Bill Ford decision of course)
  • Hello all, I'm new here as I just bought my first Jaguar (2006) X-Type last Friday, primarily for my wife's use. I've been a frequent visitor to the Chevy Tahoe site for several years (I drive a 2004 Tahoe Z-71) and will now be checking in over here too.

It's been interesting to listen to the complaints and as I'm sure everyone knows, there is always something to complain about, large and small, no matter what you drive. No one makes a vehicle that doesn't produce a "lemon" or two or three. I can only hope for the best.

Anyway, I do like the our new Jag for the most part. However, after 180 miles, I had to bring it in because the "Check Engine" light came on. The engine began running a little rough as I was coming to a stop. It seemed to clear up in a few seconds but light stayed on. Couldn't tell you what the mechanic said it was (something about a pressure valve that controls air/fuel mixture) but he reset and time will tell if I'll be back.

Also noted after I purchased and got it out on more open highway (test drive was at slow speeds and on very smooth streets) the road noise is a bit more than I expected (Wife had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that seemed quieter!). Anyone else notice this?

Last question...I thought 2002 was the first year for the X-Type, but I read something that mentioned 2000 as the first year. Which is correct??

Thanks. Tom S.
  • Welcome Tom. I bought our first XType in late 2001 but it was a 2002 model. That was indeed the first year in the USA. However earlier models were produced in Europe. I think the confusion comes when a poster from across the pond posts something about his 2001 SE for instance.
  • desertguy:

Thanks for the info.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    jmacmahon should let the courts decide if he is in the right or not, because if he is in any way wrong, he will find himself in a lot of trouble for his acts against Jaguar and the dealership. Once he knows positively that he is legally in the right by a court decision, then he would reduce his risk. Revenge is a powerful emotion that seems to be driving him right now and he needs to chill out, remain rational, and let the legal process do what needs to be done. His serious need to get revenge is going to spoil his case, unfortunately, and the courts will not be pleased to see the details of his angry revenge towards the dealership and Jaguar. My advice to him: be patient, be persistent, be diligent, be sure to take the high road throughout this process, don't compromise integrity, do not act or appear irrational, and be out for justice, not spiteful revenge. Good Luck.
  • Wow, very well said!
  • If you've verified that the engine is indeed full of sludge, then I would suggest that you go after the oil change place. This sounds more like an oil related problem. I suspect that they've been doing the service with cheap oil and oil filters. The low quality oil and filters these places use causes problems. I bought a used GM truck that had been serviced religiously every 3K miles by one of the national chains. I just had to replace the engine which failed because there was over a pound of sludge in the engine. Every bearing and the oil pump was worn out in an engine that typically lasts for twice the miles I got out of it. My son, formerly a big proponent of using "whatever's on sale" oil and filters, blew the engine's valve train in his hyundai at 16K . If I have an oil change place service my car, I hand them a big jug of Castrol GTX and a premium oil filter. The internets full of stories about Chrysler V-6's being sludgers. Yet I've run 6 of them to high miles with no sludge at all using premium oil and decent filters. My advice - find out who's oil was used for the changes and file a claim with the manufacturer. In all probability, these are the guys who caused your engine failure and voided your warranty.

Regards:
    Oldengineer