Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• tom213tom213 Posts: 49
    We have have had our 2006 X-Type for 2 weeks now and I have read the Owners Handbook cover to cover and I couldn't find any mention of tire rotation! Also checked the required service items in the Maintenance Schedule and no mention of tire rotation there either!

Every car I've ever owned addressed some sort of a tire rotation schedule; is this something unique to Jaguar? Comments??

Tom
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Tom: Jaguar does not recommend tire rotation on the XType. I did the same as you and finally called the 800# and that is what they told me. Probably something to do with the AWD. Some dealers try to get you to do it anyway to make an extra buck so I hear.
  • baldiebaldie Posts: 6
    I just purchased my 2002 jag xtype yesterday with 38K miles, paid a little under 17k. I absolutely love how it drives and handles. I just have a few questions about it, and if anyone can help that would be great. I put in 89 octane gas....is that okay or should I go the highest octaine? Also in the specifcations descriptions that I've read online, it says it comes with rear foglights standard.....what basically are rear foglights? Also I use synthtic oil for all my cars and was wondering if I should be doing the same with the xtype?
    I just purchased my 2002 xtype yesterday but it only has the projection headlights I believe. I was interested in gettting some HID lights for my x-type and was wondering if someone could point me in teh right direction.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,598
    Rear Fog Light - Most European brands offer them. It is typically a single bulb that burns brighter than the tail lights in order to alert vehicles behind you of your presence. Turn on your fogs at night and then check out your rear lights - you should see it.
    I have used 89 octane in both of my XTypes since new and cannot tell any difference in performance and there is no knocking. When I take a trip and across the Rocky Mountains, I switch to 91 or higher due to the change in altitude but otherwise I think using the higher octane is a waste of money. Many owners will not agree with me.
    Well I've gone through 1 tank of 89 octane so far and no problems. The engine runs smooth and shifts smooth so I think I'll stay with 89. Also how do you get to the bulbs of the fog lights? I couldnt find how to do that in the manual.

So is it unique to have a jaguar made in Europe verses here in the states?
    My left side marker light cracked (the orange part). Anyone know where I can get a new one online?
    "So is it unique to have a jaguar made in Europe verses here in the states? "

Uh, all Jaguars are manufactured in England.
  • Hi. Just bought a 2002 X-type. It has the tape player in the dash, and the prior owner installed a Sony 10 disc changer in the trunk. I think it is the base audio system. It has a small, handheld controller for the changer that is on a cord coming out of the kickpanel.

It works fine, but I am already tired of fumbling with this little controller doohicky. I would like to either get the factory changer or cd player. Does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier for these items? Are all X-types pre-wired for the changer? Would I need any other connectors?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
  • My dealer also told me that tire rotation is not recommended or required on the X-Type, which definitely has to do with the AWD system. Less to worry about, but we may need to replace the tires sooner due to uneven wear.
    Jaguar uses fiber optics in their ICE systems and as far as I know, nobody makes units that will hook up to the factory units. Not enough demand probably. Getting a new unit from Jaguar would be ridiculously expensive. Perhaps a unit from a wrecked car would be the most feasible.
  • Yep. If you have the automatic climate control, the outside temp is displayed on the temp display.

I just bought a 2002 X-type and am loving it. Good luck!

Chris M
  • Thanks. I did use a part locator service, they have the factory 6 disc changer for $375.00. Still mulling over if it's worth the $ or not, or just get used to the 10 disc changer I have.

FWIW...the audio options on this car are kind of stupid. Who wants a tape player and no cd these days?

Chris M
    I just purchased a 2002 jaguar x-type a few days ago and since then I've been reading alot about the problems that the 2002 has had. I was sort of concerned however only 1 issue has occured since buying the car. The windshield washers seem to leak when the car runs for awhile. I usually notice it when I'm driving and I see fluid dripping onto the hood of the car. I know this was one of the problems that I read about, does anyone know how to fix this???
  • frisbyfrisby Posts: 1
    I have just come across your entry dated Mar. 18th (I'm a little late), and just wanted to let you know that mine does the same thing at 90mph. The whining noise sounds like I left a window open. I've had nothing but problems from day 1. I can't go into the dealership and tell them to "drive the car at 90 so you can hear the same noise," as that's not something they would do. I give up. The car just has so many problems that we're trading it. "Good riddance"
    I just purchased a 2002 Jaguar xtype and was wondering if I should purchase an extended warrenty. I've looked online and was quoted coverages ranging from $2,000-$3,500. Most of them need 30% down with 10 monthly payments thereafter, so thats roughly $500-$1000 down. Are these warranties a must to have especially if you own a jag??
  • Thanks for your comments. Sorry you are giving up. Overall, I think this is a nice car, especially for the money. I "invited" a mechanic from the dealership to ride with me and I pointed out all the noises to him going as fast as 80 mph. He heard them as well as I did. A week later they said that all was fixed, the drivetrain noise needed an adjustment to the propshaft (Bull S!). As expected, the noise was still there, just as loud as before. While my car was in the shop, I was driving a rental 2005 X-Type, which was very quiet, no noises at any speed. It was much more comfortable to ride in such a quiet car. I am going to give the dealer one more chance as they were really trying to help. I will suggest replacing the rear differential. Too bad they don't know what they are doing. If they don't fix the noises, I will drive the car through winter for the AWD and will get rid of it in the spring. What will your next car be, Frisby?
  • jonesjjonesj Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a 1999 Jaguar XJ8L and I am curious as to the brand oil and filter to use when I change it myself.
    Also, could anyone tell me if the need for an oil change could be the reason the Amber Check Engine light is lit?
    Well you've posted your question in the XType forum. You might have better luck posting it in the XJ Series forum. I don't know the answer for your car.