Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• Just want to get some input from owners. This car has 25000 miles on it. What can I expect from this car?
  • jimmy jjimmy j Posts: 3
    To everyone!!!
    I put an octane booster and the humming noise at 30 and 60-70 mph was gone. I do not know if it will return but I will put 91 octane gas and see what happens. If there is any other info on cause of noise let me know.
    JJ
  • Hey, I just purchased a 2002 X-Type Sport but unfortunately did not get a manual with it and would like to know if anybody knows how to program the garage door opener and also what the second pull out setting on the headlight switch is for, I get an orange fog light display on the dash but have noticed no difference when the switch is out.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
  • oldcemoldcem Posts: 309
    The second pull on the headlight switch is for the rear fog lights.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • thanks for the responce, you wouldn't happen to know how to program the garage door opener would you??
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Get an owners manual from the dealer, 1-800-JAGUAR. Also, Ebay has some: http://motors.search.ebay.com/Jaguar-owners-manual_W0QQfromZR40 One is $19.00. The Home Link programing is 2 pages and depends on if your garage door opener is rolling code or not. Way too much to put on here. Wait til you want to set the clock! You need a manual.
  • yeah, thanks I just ordered the manual from ebay, I gotta wait till it comes in to understand all the features

Thanks again
  • toohumantoohuman Posts: 10
    Rather than buying a manual, you can simply go to the Jaguar Owners' site that has the entire manual listing in pdf.

Go here:

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extfree2viewjagprod/index.jsp
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    I haven't been keeping track of what are reasonable deals for an x-type and now may have to deal very quickly. Has anyone been keeping tabs on this?
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    We test drove an x-type and really liked it. But then I noticed you only get xenon lights (which I always want on any car I will be driving) with the sport package. My wife wouldn't enjoy the sport package so that eliminated the Jaguar. We wound up buying a Hyundai Azera. This doesn't have xenons either, but I won't be tempted to drive it, anyway. ;)
  • My 05 2.5 5-speed with 3000 miles makes a clunk noise when letting out the clutch. This occurs when first starting out (including reverse), also in between gears while shifting, and occasionally when I take my foot off the accelerator. I had it to the dealer where they "corrected" the problem by making a few "adjustments", after having the car for 3 days. As I was driving away from the dealer, the clunk was still there. The problem remains. I had a technician take me out in another 2.5 5-speed and the same issue was present. So, I got the "they all do that" line (wait.....I thought you FIXED it!) followed by "not enough people have complained about it for Jaguar to do anything". My response - unacceptable for a new car to make a noise like this. My service advisor is arranging for a Jaguar rep to meet with me, so we'll see how that goes.

Has anyone else with a manual experienced this? And, was the issue remedied? I enjoy this car more than I ever thought I would, but this problem is driving me crazy. I appreciate any feedback.
  • muttstermuttster Posts: 2
    I am going to be in the market to buy a used car near the $20,000 range. I thought about a used Acura but I really like the looks and styling of a Jaguar. Looking around I found a certified 2003 x-type with 43,000 miles for 19,9, a certified 2002 x-type with 23000 for the same money and a non certified 2001 XJ8 for 19, 900 as well with 43,000 miles.

my concern is the cost of maintinence, We have many dealers and independent mechanics where I live. Are the parts quite a bit more expensive that parts for a Acura or a Nissan? Are there anything that I should look for or problems areas that I should know about? What do you think?
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Most Jaguar owners will tell you they don't want to own the car unless it is under warranty. The Select Edition warranty has been voted the best CPO warranty of any mfgr by JD Power for 5 straight years. It is for 6 years or 100K whichever comes first. The 6 years is from the original date the car went into service. So the older the car, the less time you have.

The '02 will only have the warranty for 2 years. Also there were many improvements with the '03 and '04 cars. Resale value is not good so you should be able to work a good deal on a CPO car. I would not consider the XJ8 without the warranty. And, yes Jaguars are very expensive to repair.
  • Results from the 2005 J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey for new vehicles.

Score is the number of problems reported per 100 vehicles.

BRAND SCORE
    Lexus 81
    Jaguar 88
    BMW 95
    Buick 100
    Cadillac 104
    Mercedes-Benz 104
    Toyota 105
    Audi 106
    Infiniti 109
    HUMMER 110
    Hyundai 110
    Honda 112
    GMC 113
    Lincoln 113
    Acura 116
    INDUSTRY AVERAGE 118
    Jeep 120
    Mercury 120
    Nissan 120
    Chrysler 121
    Chevrolet 127
    Ford 127
    Mitsubishi 129
    Pontiac 129
    Dodge 130
    MINI 130
    Scion 134
    Saab 136
    Saturn 136
    Subaru 138
    Kia 140
    Volvo 140
    Porsche 147
    Volkswagen 147
    Land Rover 149
    Mazda 149
    Suzuki 151

How is this possible? Does this rating reflect true ownership or is it because so few people bought Jaguars in 2005 that the results are meaningless?

I love Jags, especially the X-Type, an affordable jag is the way to go. I understand why ford is cutting it, though. Only so many cars in one company can compete vs. each other. I'd ratehr see 1 world lincoln have every option standard than 3 different cars with various degrees and prices.

Let us know, who owns a 2005 jag, is this true?
  • martinfmartinf Posts: 121
    I bought a 2005 base Jaguar 2.5 X-type with 5spd manual in 9/05. The vehicle has about 5000 miles on it and there have been no problems at all. My jury of one says A OK! I do agree with previous posts regarding owning a Jaguar out of warranty. My plan is to keep the car only until shortly before 4 years or 50,000 miles, unless I can find a great deal on a Jaguar backed extended warranty. Does anyone know any dealers that sell discounted Jaguar backed warranties?
    I just bought a 2007 Camry for my mother and got her a 7yr/75000mile Toyota Platinum Warranty for $520 (less than half the Toyota website list price) from Midwest Superstores Toyota in Kansas (the vehicle was purchased in San Diego and the local dealers wanted $1295 to $1430 for the exact same Toyota Warranty). There are large number of Toyota dealers that make a small business of just selling warranties to customers from other dealerships. I just wonder if any Jaguar Dealers are making deals on their warranties.
  • art07154art07154 Posts: 2
    I just bought 2002 Jaguar x type 3.0 automatic with only 16k miles 2 days ago from Toyota delership it was a trade in.The dealership offer me 4 yrs/60k miles bumper to bumper warranty for $2500.Should I buy it?My car has such a low miles only 16k miles!And $2500 is sound reasonable for 4 yrs/60k miles?Thank you
  • martinfmartinf Posts: 121
    What is the name of the company that is backing the warranty? There have been a number of problems with non-manufacturer backed warranties, although I have heard that Warranty Direct is reasonably reputable. I have a 2005 X-type with 5000 miles on it (its been a great car), and I can get a 7 yr/75,000 mile warranty from them for about $2400. Apparently, it is relatively risky to own a Jaguar that is not under warranty, so I suggest that it is worth doing some research and getting a good one. Let me know what you can find out about the warranty being offered by the Toyota Dealership. Personally, I think I will probably sell my X-type prior to the end of the original 4yr/50,000 warranty, so I am holding off my extended warranty decision for now.(I just bought a 2007 Camry for my mother and got a 7yr/75,000 mile warranty from Toyota, through a Midwest Superstore Toyota in Kansas, for $520, Toyota List Price $1150. That was a real easy decision to make)By the way, how much did you pay for the 2002 X-type, just curious.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A reporter would like to talk with current and former Jaguar owners. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 26, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your ownership experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A reporter is hoping to talk with current and former Jaguar XK owners. If you have owned an XK and if you're willing to talk about it with a newspaper reporter, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 6, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• oldcemoldcem Posts: 309
    Yep, It's true. Had such a good experience with a 03 X Type 2.5, that I just swapped it for an 06 X Type 3.0.

Regards:
    Oldengineer