Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    I got this info from another board which has many European participants. Mostly UK, Germany and Italy. That was their statement that it was prohibited by the Gov. and they just had an emblem instead. Pictures of the new Bentley that is coming out show no bonnet ornament at all. Of course this regulation wouldn't apply to older cars.
  • Thanks for the follow-up. But, you me and the fence post, a hood ornament that can break away would be the last thing to worry about if you've been struck by a car.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    there aren't "jaguars" on "Jaguars'" hoods in UK. I'm curious to know if the UK gov allows the "flying lady" on Rolls Royces?
  • pluskinpluskin Posts: 79
    The flying lady, also known as the "spirit of ecstasy", appears to be allowed in the UK. Perhaps they can get away with it due to their low volumes. Or maybe its just not as deadly as a leaper?
    This must be a fairly new law. They don't make Rolls Royces anymore so that is moot but the law grandfathers any produced before the law became effective.
  • "They don't make Rolls Royces anymore..."

That's gonna come as a big surprise to BMW. :) Perhaps I misunderstood.

I think the reason that the RR "flying lady" is allowed is that it's not rigidly mounted. (No jokes, please.) It actually lowers majestically into a cavity in the radiator shell upon impact. It probably bends backward if struck directly.

The "leaping cat", since it faces forward in a spear-like configuration, poses a potentially more invasive threat--manna for the personal-injury industry.

IIRC, when the "cat" reappeared on U.S. Jags, it was a $200 option. It was subsequently made standard equipment. I personally think it's a bit gaudy; Jags are very nice cars, but I prefer them unadorned. Guess I'll have to get a Type R!
    Well, I knew when I posted no more RR that I'd be in trouble. I just searched the site that had a great article on the last day of RR as we know it. Couldn't find it or I would refer you. This guy was driving to work in the UK and saw workmen taking down the big RR sign from the building. Coming home from work he saw the Bentley sign in it's place. More Bentleys are sold by far than RRs so I assume BMW made a business decision. BTW, the Leaper is also detachable but it would take quite a tug to get it off!
  • Okay, now I get where you're coming from. Volkswagen owns Bentley, and BMW will soon assume complete ownership of Rolls-Royce Motorcars. As such, Rolls-Royce production will move to a BMW-owned plant; the last R-R built at the Crewe facility, that's been home to RR and Bentley production for many years, has "rolled" off the assembly line. Here's a link to an article on the official website:

http://www.rollsroycemotorcars.co.uk/rolls-royce/index.html

Although another article on this website says that the future of Rolls-Royce automobiles is "uncertain", BMW is most definitely going to continue to build them. All-new designs are now being finalized. It's the end of an era, since Bentley and Rolls-Royce are now German cars, but it's not the end of Rolls-Royce. I also question whether Bentley outsells R-R; that wasn't the case for the past several decades. It's not really pertinent here, though.

And now, back to the X-type...

• I thought Jaguar didn't honor the x plan? I have an x plan pin a planned on using for a volvo xc-90 but am looking at the X type also. If there is an x plan, I'd love to know about it.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,740
    Last I heard they changed the X plan to be a $500 rebate for Jags (may vary by model). As opposed to actually setting the price of the vehicle.
  • jonty12jonty12 Posts: 101
    x-plan pins for jag qualify you for the "jaguar preferred" program. basically a cash back program. $500 for X and S, $1000 for XJ/XJ Sport, and $1500 for XK/VP/Super V8/XJR.
  • vader4vader4 Posts: 15
    Does anyone know why Edmunds does not yet have information on the 2003 x-type? I am thinking of buying one but want to know the difference between 2002 & 2003 prior to commiting.
    Does anyone know why Edmunds does not yet have information on the 2003 x-type? I am thinking of buying one but want to know the difference between 2002 & 2003 prior to committing.
  • jonty12jonty12 Posts: 101
    not sure why edmunds is so far behind in info, but if you would like 2003 info you can find it at the following:

http://www.intellichoice.com
    http://www.advocar.com
    http://www.autosite.com
  • I priced an x-tpe lease last week at a dealer in Novi, Michigan. 2.5 auto, metallic paint, no other options. Stickered between 32-33K. Quote for a 39 mo., no money down lease with 12000 mi. was $525 plus tax (with x-plan discount). Seems really high. I priced an S60 with a similar sticker price, 0 down and 15000 mi (x-plan) and was quoted $480 inc. tax. I don't get it. Ten years ago I leased a 92 XJ6 with a $45000 sticker 48 mo. 0 down $545 mo. tax inc. With interest rates practically at zero now how does a car that is 12 grand cheaper than that XJ lease for the same price.

Does anyone have an idea of what a reasonable lease price on a basic X should be?
    I can only tell you what my lease cost and I don't have an x-plan. Metallic 3.0, auto, X1, sunroof, prem sound with 6CD changer is $449(no tax) with $1000 down, 39 months through Jaguar Credit. There was a nice dealer incentive which was used to reduce the sticker of $41,000. I would guess that your dealer is keeping the incentive for himself and not passing any on. I would try a different dealer or use the web for quotes. Then see if he can match.
  • I had the same experience at that dealership. In theory, with Jaguar you only get a $500 "preferred customer" discount on the x-plan. They told me x-plan was 4% over invoice, but they would do me a favor and take off the x-plan $500 discount from that price. As a side note, the discount was largely negated by a $300 tacked on dealership "advertising fee" which I have never heard of. End result was them saying that 4% over invoice is a deal and matches what the x-plan should be. I then went to the other dealership in our area, (you know, the one in Troy) and got a better deal and a lower money factor. Saved me a bundle. I wonder if the Novi store just has higher overhead because its so new. BTW, the Volvo is cheaper because (i) its lease residuals are about 10% higher than Jaguar, and (ii) there really is an x-plan price which dealers honor (I assume you went to the one in Commerce and they have been very honest with me).
    I have been researching a lease. check out leasecompare.com some very good info. you can negotiate the price of the car with the dealer and obtain your own lease, also lease specials . com has a good deal on a 2.5 with x1 and x0 package.
  • tomm14tomm14 Posts: 15
    How dependable are used Jaguar-Xs. I am considering a 2001 or 2002. I just dont know how well built they are....I know there was a dependability problem years ago....what about now?
  • The X was new for 2002, so it may be a little hard finding one. As for reliability, some of the concerns of fit and noises have yet to crop up and I have a 03 with 3000 miles. If there is a problem, the warranty should cover it, including oil changes!
  • jeffyjcjeffyjc Posts: 14
    aloha..about to buy one X-type 2.5 auto/sunroof/premium sound in Jaguar racing green
    does $33,995 sound fair? and anyone know of a good link for reviews of the car...or photos in the color....Mahalo from Hawaii
  • I bought an '03 for that price, also included, Alpine stereo, reverse alert. Most of the reviews are on the '02, though there are minore differences, mostly new standard items. Great machine! NO COMPLAINTS FROM ME, (other than having to explain 'it really wasn't that expensive).
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    I don't have a X-type. Saw several on the road in the past few months. My only reaction is WOW! This is really a BEAUTIFUL car! For those of you have bought the X-type... AWESOME choice, guys!!
  • If you all got mad and went somewhere else, can someone please e-mail me and let me know where?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,306
    has apparently found something else to do with his time. Had he done so sooner, this board would have gone dormant weeks, or months, earlier.
  • Article: http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=4529

The Big Picture: http://www.theracesite.com/pics/wallpaper/73l.jpg

There, I hope you're happy - there's my bit for Queen and country. :-) Have I mentioned that I still love my car? (Look, I even kept this message short! And it doesn't flame/attack/smash/point-out-the-stupidity-of/slam/ruin-the-reputation-of anyone!)

2003 CHANGES

Oh yes, and the car magazines are wrong. For 2003, there have been many changes to the X-type including a new slightly metallic higher quality facia for the center console that was black in the 2002 models (the single complaint point that people have had about the X-type and new S-type's interiors is fixed - no more black plastic). The wood steering wheel is also gorgeous and really adds to the car's interior. I saw all of this at a recent auto show so I can speak for all of the little changes from personally examining an '03. Also, noticed that Jaguar does not share any interior fittings in any of its models with any Ford models - even the S-type's highly criticized window switches happen to be the same ones as the XJ8's. The X-type's climate control buttons are shared with the Aston Martin Vanquish though, and it has the same sun visors as the XK8. Speaking of the XK8 and Vanquish, the new James Bond movie added to my Jaguar-patriotism. There seems to be a Jag in every scene of the film, and the villain even rows through his J-gate! I was so proud... :-)

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,740
    Would you be just as proud if someone told you that both the Aston and the Jag in the frozen lake chase scene had Ford V8s with 4wd explorer chassis?

GREAT movie BTW!
  • Yup, I already knew about the chassis and engines they used in the movie cars. They didn't want to lose too many of the real cars on the ice, so they shortened Explorer chassis to allow the cars to handle the ice better - or something like that. I heard that all but one or two of the Astons and Jags survived filming (they had around 6 of each car is what I've been told). What shocked me was the paint they used on the XKR - Jaguar mixed their regular green paint with pure gold at a cost of over $2,500 per litre to coat the car (and again there were 6 or so of them). No wonder the bumpers weren't painted, and I wonder if Jag went through with its 12 layer paint finish for the movie cars, seeing as paint cost enough to bankrupt small countries. On top of that, around $1.7 million was spent on the Explorer chassis modifications for the XKR and Vanquish. Now where to find a machine gun to mount on the back of the X...
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A journalist with a major newspaper wants to talk with consumers who've bought entry-lux cars (e.g. BMW 3, Mercedes c-coupe, Jag X-type, Audi a4, etc) in the last year, ideally buyers who were new to the luxury brands, to talk about how they like their cars and why they bought them. Please respond asap by Wednesday, December 4 to jfallon@edmunds.com with the type of vehicle and approximate amount you paid for it. Thanks!
  • Like most reviews, IMHO, Edmunds (like MT, C&D, R&T) just doesn't get it. Not everybody wants what they tend to emphasize in their reviews. If I wanted a manual transmission, high-revving, high-horsepower engine with a stiff as a board ride, I'd go buy something else. And if all I wanted was to validate my existence by looking like everyone else, I'd go buy a BMW.

However... what I want, and I think the X-type provides, is a nice blend of performance and comfort with an unsurpassed level of beauty. Where I live, 8 inch deep potholes are a fact of life and I commute 35 miles each way on sh*t roads to and from work. A non-sport X-Type 3.0 is a reasonable mix for me. I don't need tremendous linear acceleration in rush hour traffic and I don't need police-pursuit handling. What I need is a classy style and image for clients, decent performance and above-average creature comfort to pamper my fat *ss. If I want a performance/sports car, I'll buy one for weekend use and it won't be an X-Type.

Reviewers should stop evaluating cars for what the reviewers want them to be and start evaluating them for how cars meet what the target market for that car is likely to expect or desire. Me, I'll just plod along drinking my coffee and letting the J-gate auto shift for me while I heat my butt and listen to a decent CD.

Thus originates the one complaint about the X-Type which I would feel is fair game in *any* review: Cupholders.