Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• likintheleaperlikintheleaper Member Posts: 4
    My 05 2.5 5-speed with 3000 miles makes a clunk noise when letting out the clutch. This occurs when first starting out (including reverse), also in between gears while shifting, and occasionally when I take my foot off the accelerator. I had it to the dealer where they "corrected" the problem by making a few "adjustments", after having the car for 3 days. As I was driving away from the dealer, the clunk was still there. The problem remains. I had a technician take me out in another 2.5 5-speed and the same issue was present. So, I got the "they all do that" line (wait.....I thought you FIXED it!) followed by "not enough people have complained about it for Jaguar to do anything". My response - unacceptable for a new car to make a noise like this. My service advisor is arranging for a Jaguar rep to meet with me, so we'll see how that goes.

Has anyone else with a manual experienced this? And, was the issue remedied? I enjoy this car more than I ever thought I would, but this problem is driving me crazy. I appreciate any feedback.
  • muttstermuttster Member Posts: 2
    I am going to be in the market to buy a used car near the $20,000 range. I thought about a used Acura but I really like the looks and styling of a Jaguar. Looking around I found a certified 2003 x-type with 43,000 miles for 19,9, a certified 2002 x-type with 23000 for the same money and a non certified 2001 XJ8 for 19, 900 as well with 43,000 miles.

my concern is the cost of maintinence, We have many dealers and independent mechanics where I live. Are the parts quite a bit more expensive that parts for a Acura or a Nissan? Are there anything that I should look for or problems areas that I should know about? What do you think?
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Most Jaguar owners will tell you they don't want to own the car unless it is under warranty. The Select Edition warranty has been voted the best CPO warranty of any mfgr by JD Power for 5 straight years. It is for 6 years or 100K whichever comes first. The 6 years is from the original date the car went into service. So the older the car, the less time you have.

The '02 will only have the warranty for 2 years. Also there were many improvements with the '03 and '04 cars. Resale value is not good so you should be able to work a good deal on a CPO car. I would not consider the XJ8 without the warranty. And, yes Jaguars are very expensive to repair.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Results from the 2005 J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey for new vehicles.

Score is the number of problems reported per 100 vehicles.

BRAND SCORE
    Lexus 81
    Jaguar 88
    BMW 95
    Buick 100
    Cadillac 104
    Mercedes-Benz 104
    Toyota 105
    Audi 106
    Infiniti 109
    HUMMER 110
    Hyundai 110
    Honda 112
    GMC 113
    Lincoln 113
    Acura 116
    INDUSTRY AVERAGE 118
    Jeep 120
    Mercury 120
    Nissan 120
    Chrysler 121
    Chevrolet 127
    Ford 127
    Mitsubishi 129
    Pontiac 129
    Dodge 130
    MINI 130
    Scion 134
    Saab 136
    Saturn 136
    Subaru 138
    Kia 140
    Volvo 140
    Porsche 147
    Volkswagen 147
    Land Rover 149
    Mazda 149
    Suzuki 151

How is this possible? Does this rating reflect true ownership or is it because so few people bought Jaguars in 2005 that the results are meaningless?

I love Jags, especially the X-Type, an affordable jag is the way to go. I understand why ford is cutting it, though. Only so many cars in one company can compete vs. each other. I'd ratehr see 1 world lincoln have every option standard than 3 different cars with various degrees and prices.

Let us know, who owns a 2005 jag, is this true?
  • martinfmartinf Member Posts: 121
    I bought a 2005 base Jaguar 2.5 X-type with 5spd manual in 9/05. The vehicle has about 5000 miles on it and there have been no problems at all. My jury of one says A OK! I do agree with previous posts regarding owning a Jaguar out of warranty. My plan is to keep the car only until shortly before 4 years or 50,000 miles, unless I can find a great deal on a Jaguar backed extended warranty. Does anyone know any dealers that sell discounted Jaguar backed warranties?
    I just bought a 2007 Camry for my mother and got her a 7yr/75000mile Toyota Platinum Warranty for $520 (less than half the Toyota website list price) from Midwest Superstores Toyota in Kansas (the vehicle was purchased in San Diego and the local dealers wanted $1295 to $1430 for the exact same Toyota Warranty). There are large number of Toyota dealers that make a small business of just selling warranties to customers from other dealerships. I just wonder if any Jaguar Dealers are making deals on their warranties.
  • art07154art07154 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought 2002 Jaguar x type 3.0 automatic with only 16k miles 2 days ago from Toyota delership it was a trade in.The dealership offer me 4 yrs/60k miles bumper to bumper warranty for $2500.Should I buy it?My car has such a low miles only 16k miles!And $2500 is sound reasonable for 4 yrs/60k miles?Thank you
    What is the name of the company that is backing the warranty? There have been a number of problems with non-manufacturer backed warranties, although I have heard that Warranty Direct is reasonably reputable. I have a 2005 X-type with 5000 miles on it (its been a great car), and I can get a 7 yr/75,000 mile warranty from them for about $2400. Apparently, it is relatively risky to own a Jaguar that is not under warranty, so I suggest that it is worth doing some research and getting a good one. Let me know what you can find out about the warranty being offered by the Toyota Dealership. Personally, I think I will probably sell my X-type prior to the end of the original 4yr/50,000 warranty, so I am holding off my extended warranty decision for now.(I just bought a 2007 Camry for my mother and got a 7yr/75,000 mile warranty from Toyota, through a Midwest Superstore Toyota in Kansas, for $520, Toyota List Price $1150. That was a real easy decision to make)By the way, how much did you pay for the 2002 X-type, just curious.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk with current and former Jaguar owners. Please respond to [email protected] no later than Friday, May 26, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your ownership experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with current and former Jaguar XK owners. If you have owned an XK and if you're willing to talk about it with a newspaper reporter, please respond to [email protected] no later than Tuesday, June 6, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Yep, It's true. Had such a good experience with a 03 X Type 2.5, that I just swapped it for an 06 X Type 3.0.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • kpstauffkpstauff Member Posts: 1
    My car does the same thing. I haven't brought it into the dealer because I like the fact that the car has a tactile, mechanical feel to it. If I wanted buttery smooth shifting, I'd have gotten the automatic. I may be a fool, but I don't think the noise indicates any long term mechanical problem. Good luck!
  • vcassisivcassisi Member Posts: 3
    We took possession of a brand new 2006 X-Type 3.0 in October 2005 (first 2006's in the US, loaded, nav sys, etc.). Right away we had to take it back to have a crinkled window trim part changed under warranty, check the excessive wind noise and have them check a ticking noise like valves in the engine (ticks continuously whether hot or cold).

We were told that it was the valves most likely, and, that JaguarUSA's policy is to only exchange, not repair, brand new defective engines with re manufactured USED engines. The Jag dealer attached the new chrome strip to the window and it promptly fell off 2 days later, and couldn't do anything about the loud wind noise.

Sixty days later they had to replace the microphone unit in the Bluetooth system, and just yesterday (6/13), the air conditioning system stopped working for about 2 hours on I-75 and then began working again. All this and the car has less than 3800 miles on it.

We believe that the Jaguar X-Type reliability hype is false, and that their policy of replacing a brand new engine with a used one is completely wrong. We strongly advise anyone thinking of buying a new or used Jaguar to think again.

Vince and Pat
    We bought a brand new 2002 XType and had NO problems for the length of the 39 month lease. We turned this jewel in and leased a new 2005 XType Sport. We have not had it back to the dealer for any problem in the past year. We have found them to be very trouble free cars.
    Hi desertguy-
    We had high hopes reading comments like yours before we bought the car. I don't know why ours is trouble prone but it is. We wrote to the Jag customer relations people and were told that they will replace a new engine with a used remanufactured one. The other problems have happened so they aren't made up. Hope you continue troublefree with yours, but ours has problems and we can't recommend it to anyone.

Vince
    I agree Vince. You can only go by what you have personally experienced and your experience has obviously been poor. I was fortunate with the '02 as being a first year car, many people had problems. Since then the cars have gotten better and better so I'm surprised at your misfortune. Sorry to hear of your problems.
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I had an 03 X Type that was so reliable, I just traded it for an 06. That being said - a big part of my decision to buy another one was the quality of the local dealer's service department. My 03 had a few problems - but they were solved quickly and efficiently with one visit. Hopefully your dealer is good enough to work through the problems and solve them to your satisfaction. I recently had an experience similar to yours with an 05 Chrysler. The transmission failed and the car was basically out of service for over 2 months. My original dealer made a complete mess out of the car. I had to get Chrysler corp. involved, and, another dealer ended up repairing the car in a competent manner. However it took many phone calls and emails to get it done. If there's another Jag dealer close to you, you might consider having them take a look at it.
  • erikmesaerikmesa Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 X-Type 3.0 Sport with 49,000 miles on it has been a great car. I bought it last year from a dealer and it has the certified 100k warranty on it. Tonight the battery light on the dashboard came on and wont go off. The headlights are as bright as ever so I dont think its the alternator. Anyone have any other ideas what it might be? The manual says 'generator fault' and I'll bring it to the dealer I'm just wondering what it might be. Thanks.
    Update - JaguarUSA policy on defective new engines by vcassisi

Well, we had two regional Jag reps look/listen to the engine. They said that the engine is a derivative of the Ford Duratec, with the original castings used but the rest was jag. While the Duratec had hydraulic lifters (and the local Jag tech also thought so initially), the Jag version has shims. The engine that is in the X-Type is a "blueprinted" high performance version, and they will naturally make some noise either new or after breakin, which is what we heard. If anyone without the factory equipment tries to reset the valve clearances, they will divert from the optimum setting and eventually the valves will burn up. In conclusion, unlike the word from the local Jag dealer who thought that the tapping was abnormal, the valve tapping is expected and normal.

As far as the chrome strip debonding, and the wind noise, - oh well. The dealer was unable to duplicate the A/C problem, so we'll see if it happens again.

The main problem, which turns out not to be a problem as the local dealer initially thought, of the engine valves tapping, was not a problem. In light of this, I can withdraw my initial dislike of the X-Type and say that the problems it had are minor and that we can recommend the X-Type to others.

Vince
    Great news huh Vince? What you do need to trash is that dealer of yours. Causing you all this worry over nothing. If you have a choice, I would seek out another dealer.
  • toohumantoohuman Member Posts: 10
    Greetings again...

Question for you all. I am set to pick up my car after a long 7 month wait this week. I'm sure they will try to sell me an extended warranty. What do you all think about the warranties...are they worth it...or are non-dealer warranties better? Also, any other oddities that you all have bought for your X-types that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    If you plan on keeping the car a long time I would inquire about the extended warranty. It should be through Jaguar IMO. The third party warranties have too many pitfalls and some of the companies go out of business or file bankruptcy. The price is purely negotiable so don't just accept the first price they give you.

The first thing I bought for my XType was a set of four splash guards. Installed them myself. Definitely keeps the car cleaner.
    I plan on keeping this car for atleast 5-7 years. I will then probably just get a new Jaguar/Merc/BMW and keep this one as an extra.

You mentioned negotiating price. I was unaware that you could negotiate an insurance premium. Are there sites like this one that tell you the going rates...or what you SHOULD pay for these types of policies? I am all about negotiating if it is possible...I simply didn't know it was an option for warranties.

Please advise.

Thanks
    The mfgr charges X amount of dollars to the dealer for an extended warranty. The dealer is then free to tack on his markup. You are free to call different dealers and you will find they don't all charge the same. Even a quote can be haggled down. I suggest you go to Edmunds Extended Warranty subject and review some of the comments. One thing for sure, is that some of these third party companies are out of business.
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    I was just up on the Jaguar site and they're offering 1.9% financing on all, in stock, 2006 X-Types! They must have a few in the inventory they need to push before new models start arriving. Also, while I was at the local dealership last Friday, they are saying (like it has been posted on this site before) that 2008 will be the last year for the X-Type.
    Well I finally took possession of my car. Thus far I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you to everyone who has commented and helped ease my worries and concerns when I was trying to decide upon a BMW or the Jag. I am very glad that I went with my heart and ordered the X-Type. Unless something horrible happens or the car falls apart I am sold on the feel and styling of the Jaguar brand.

Cheers,

Stephen D.
  • tj98tj98 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 02 X-type Jag 2.5 Sport (manual) with 55k miles and started hearing a whining noise from the rear of the car. I replaced the tires recently (my third set - OEM Contis were replaced by Kumho Ecsta ASXs at 20k and Avon Techs at 53k)). The car was very quiet during my first trip after I got the new set of tires (400 miles). This noise appeared at ~54k and I do not think that it is tire noise, although I may be wrong.

I have the extended Jaguar warranty so I will take it to the dealer - I hope it is covered.

This noise reminds me the noise I had in my old Volvo whuch was fixed by replacing the driveshaft bearing. It was not very difficult as I recall - I did it myself.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks

TJM
    I suggest you go to the search box at the top of the page and put in "whining noise" or any other adjectives you can think of. I tried it and got multiple messages. This was a well know problem on the early XTypes and usually required the replacement of the prop shaft which is what Jaguar calls the differential. Normally it manifests itself in the first 10K miles though.
  • michaelncmichaelnc Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to all who have posted. Picked up an '05 sedan yesterday. (Premium pkg and heated seats) I have spent all day cleaning/polishing. It is gray w/charcol. I'm not sure of the color name, since it is lighter than Quartz, but seems darker than the platinum '06 that I looked at. Maybe the dark interior makes it seem darker? Any thoughts?
    I have a set of mudflaps on order for both the front and rear. I know that they ruin the look, somewhat, but they sure are functional. :) Anybody have good/bad experiences with Jagbits.com?
  • michaelncmichaelnc Member Posts: 14
    FYI, according to a dealer that I visited, you can only get either the $5K dealer cash OR the 1.9% financing. NOT Both!

Even though, I did not buy the '06, it was an extremely nice experience. Called ahead and checked inventory and showed up on Saturday afternoon, dressed in shorts and t-shirt and unshaven. (Yes, I was being a bum. :D )

Salesman met me at the cars with a tag and gave the keys to me and told me to have fun. "Don't come back until you really drive the car" No copy of driver's license, no personal information, just my name over the phone and my hometown (about 90 miles away). Totally blew me away! Keys to a $38K MSRP vehicle and full tank of gas without any of the expected hassles.
  • rnycrnyc Member Posts: 7
    Hello Friends,
    I just negotiated a price on 2003 Jaguar, $17,000 just turned 18k when i was test driving it. All the time gauraged and non-smoker, OCD type lady driven so it is in mint condition. Your thoughts on this .....Take It or Leave It.

Positive Factors:
    Low mileage
    Still smells new
    Lady Driven and Gauraged

Negative Factors:
    Scary Consumer Reports (They saying avaoid it just like plague)

Based on your user experience and a small nore TAKE IT or LEAVE IT will be apprecaited. Thanks in advance.
    I bought a 2005 X-type 2.5 with no options (list price $30,995) for $23,000 brand new in 9/05. I now have 12,200 miles on the vehicle, and the only time I have had it back for service was for the 10,000 mile complementary oil change. However, my plan was and is to keep the car only through the factory warranty period. I would be nervous about having any Jaguar beyond the warranty period. You could look into extended warranties, but I would have that figured out before pulling the trigger on this one. Check edmunds.com and kbb.com for trade-in value on this vehicle as another source of pricing info. You may also want to check cars.com and see what people are asking for a similar car.
    Thanks

The warranty will expire in Feb 07. I am not sure why is so short. only 3 yrs warranty with Jag???
    Anyone has input or expereince with extending warranty with Jag dealers? how did it go?

I checked in all above websites... it is around 20-21,000 with that kind of mileage.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "the warranty will expire in Feb 07. I am not sure why is so short. only 3 yrs warranty with Jag???

Didn't you say it was an '03?

I spoke to a jag dealer, they said that they don't certify cars, but you can sell it to them and immediately buy it back as a CPO. Of course, they mark it up for cpo-ing and some profit for their time.

Not sure this makes sense with the taxes, and all..

I think the x-types were still buggy in '03.
    That is not a particularly good price for an '03. Local paper (Phoenix) has '04s at that price. Consumers is full of it as usual. I had a new '02 and an '05 and had no trouble at all. Jaguar has the best extended warranty in the business called Select Edition. I would not buy a Jaguar without it period.
    ok. I inquired extended select edition above. For a 2003, 18k miles x-type quoted $1370 for 72months/60,000 miles. so all these costs are adding up??. Plus after this 2 years it can be more. We can not go along like this.

Anyway how diffcicult and expensive is it for minor repairs of Jaguar? or you all say don't take risk just take the insurance?

I just found out that for my new condo, i kept on waiting list for gaurage? I may have to park on main road?
    Now whats the call??

Will all these adding risks & costs, i may have to come out of the deal.
    Any input?
    Thanks.
    I personally would get out of the deal. Jaguar repairs are VERY expensive. I think it should be 72 mos. and 100K. Since it is an '03, you would probably get around 36 months left on the extended warranty. Don't let them give you a third party warranty. It has to be the Jaguar Select Edition which is very comprehensive. Parking on the street would probably mean someone will rip off your hood leaper. There is $250 right there unless they dent the hood. I hate to be negagtive because I'm sure you would enjoy the car but be realistic and think it through.
    What is the name of the dealer that is offering the 72month/60,000 mile warranty for $1370? That sounds like a very good deal for the protection of such an expensive to repair vehicle. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a 2005 X-type 2.5 Manual in 9/05, but was planning on selling the car prior to the warranty lapse. With another option like this, I may want to keep it. It has been absolutely trouble free for the past year and its first 12,200 miles.
    Hi
    your deal was amazing, you bought the new car for 10k less than MSRP with showroom mileage. Nothing can beat that. I am glad that you're enjoying the car trouble free.
    About the bumper-bumper insurance mentioned up there, It is through FORD ESP, not a dealer (actually someone in our forum suggested it and then i looked it up). I was quoted through following website.
    www.WarrantyDeals.com Tel: 866-379-7096.
    I also contacted the dealer (Great Neck, NY), I heard they have also some kind of program similar, but the person who is incharge was not there on friday, i will be in contact with him on monday.

With all the due dilegence, although my deal is scary, Would it be Ok, if i negotiate it for $15,000 so i can take the insurance? My deal still tempting me because the car inside and out looks immaculate, still feel the smell of a new car, although it has 18,000 miles on it. Mercs & Beemers are every where, throught JAG may look diffrent? Still contemplating .. but i don't think the seller will agree for 15k. Thanks everyone.
    I was actually $8000 under MSRP of $30,995 (there was factory to dealer cash on the 2.5 5spd manual X-types at the time). As long as the warranty is through a legitimate manufacturer (Ford does still own Jaguar, at least until they can unload it), I would think that would still be good. In general, extended warranties have about a 50% to 100% markup for the selling dealership (e.g., Toyota Platinum warranties for a 2007 Camry have a list price of about $1200. I got mine from another Toyota dealer different from where I bought my mother's Camry for $525), so you might be able to get them to give you the warranty in lieu of a full $2000 discount from their asking price of $17,000. Insofar as the "cache" of the Jaguar, I think you are correct. It is a much rarer car (much to Jaguar's and Ford's chagrin) than the typical BMW or Benz, and most people think it costs a lot more than it does! I sincerely appreciate the info on the extended warranty and I will look into it. After you have decided your deal, could you please post the name of the dealership offering the Ford ESP Warranty. It would save me some legwork. I am originally from the North Shore myself (Port Wash).
  • khoneycuttkhoneycutt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 X-Type. I love the car, even though it has its share of quality issues such as a/c vents coming loose, fuel gauge failure, drivers seat motor failure and a cracked A/C compressor and my car only has 30K miles on it. Thank God I bought the extended warrenty. Anyway, I live in Boca Raton, FL. There is a private dealer here that sales jaguars with full factory warrenty for good prices, I am not advertising for them, but they have great prices compared to the dealers here, bought mine there, 03 X-type with extendend warrenty with 25K miles, showroom condition with car fax report for 18K. Check them out offleaseford.com but be carefull, this is my first jag, and with the issues I have had with the mechanical quality of the car, maybe my last.
  • tbandjtbandj Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2003 x-type and have noticed a buzzing noise that appears to be coming from the dash behind the steering wheel on the right side. It continues to make the noise even with the engine off and the key out of the ignition. Does anyone know what this is and how to make it stop?
    A faint buzzing noise is normal. Its a small fan in the dash that draws air in for the sensors for the heating system. Its runs for a while after you shut the car off and take the key out. Have a dealer check it to see if its making an excessive amount of noise.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • aixaix Member Posts: 30
    FWIW to the group, from my own research, a Jaguar Selection Edition Warranty (6 yrs/100K miles) may only be purchased on a Jaguar that is in a Jaguar dealer's inventory and before the factory warranty expires. For other situations, you would have to consider an extended third party waranty. I personally feel that Select Edition is the best warranty available for the Jaguar. I recently turned in my '03 sedan for an '05 sportwagon. If I had purchased my leased sedan, the dealer was willing to "select edition" for $1495, as it does momentarily enter their inventory. The '05 wagon only had 7000 miles, so we went for that instead. The sedan was nice, but man I love the wagon!
    Money Magazine or Kiplingers did an article on extended warranties both manufacturers and third party. Jaguar's Select Edition easily came out as the number one extended warranty.
  • tbandjtbandj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. The fan seems to run incessently. I have gone to the garage at different times, even when the car has not been driven in 8 hours and it still seems to be running. Do you think this is ok, or is this something to investigate?
    I believe the fan starts up everytime you open the car door. Try parking the car in the garage with the drivers window down. Leave it sit for about an hour and stick your head in the window and see if the fan's running. If it is, then take it to your dealer and have it checked. Mine used to run for a good half hour after the car was parked.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • tess4tess4 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for advice. Am interested in purchasing a new 2006 X Type in New England. Want the premium package, heated seats, dynamic stability control, duel seat control and possibly a moon roof. Got the best price of $33K. Anyone have thoughts on this or the best dealer to use in New england.

Teresa
    What was the name of the dealer that was willing to "select edition" your X-type? I have a 2005 X-type that I originally planned to sell prior to the end of the 4yr/50,000 mile warranty. If I could get the "select edition" warranty, I would probably keep the vehicle another 2 years. Thanks for the help!!
    I can tell you from experience that you can negotiate the Select Edition Warranty with most any dealer. They run it through their 114 point check (or tell you they do anyway) and then charge you a fee for setting it up. This fee appears to be arbitrary and is different form dealer to dealer. Most would want at least $1500. I think it is the only way to go if you are keeping your car past it's factory warranty period.
  • docwrightdocwright Member Posts: 4
    Good Afternoon All,
    I am looking for some feedback with regards to purchasing Jaguar's extended warranty. My 03 X-Type sport has 23,000 miles and my warranty is due to expire in April 07 . Can anyone give me information relative to your purchase price and the type of warranty you purchased.
    Thanks,
    Doc