Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Posts: 241
    Well, I'm back now as "jagboyxtype" (Edmunds' name system cannot process such complex symbols as "-", so there is no dash; oh well). There are little image symbols next to every single message board on this site for me now! It made me kind of dizzy at first. I don't know why it took me so long to change my name, I guess I was too busy enjoying my X.

scottc8-

About that little challenge: You're on!

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,621
    So what do you think about this red LS? Not sure if this is the Vivid Red or a custom paint job.

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/catalog/Lincoln_LS/

I can't quite tell, but I think that Vivid Red might be a little brighter or lustrous. I'll look around, to see if I can find any Vivid Red LS pictures.

I still like the Autumn Red too, it looks more metallic and the sun highlights the cars in this color nicely. Type to ya later!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Havbent seen an Autumn car in the flesh yet...

But Carnvallooks great IMO. Well, dad's drive is a Carnival XJ.

Weird thing is.. Burgandy, Dark Blue.. those are awful resale/saleability colors on BMW, Lexus, Mercedes... but Sapphire Blue and Carnival Red are strong colors on Jags.

Bill
    Well, that's because Jaguars look good no matter what color they are dressed in. <*raises nose in the air with a snooty Jaguar driver attitude*> :-)

Nice to see you again brentwoodvolvo.
  • narhannarhan Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried to get an after market CD Changer installed on their X-type? I am interested in putting one in but I do not want to pay the $500 my dealership wants to charge. Does the X-type with the X1 package use the same sound system as the Lincoln's? If anyone has done this in the after market what CD Changer did you get and how difficult was it to install?
    I'm not sure what you mean by aftermarket exactly. I do know that if you do not have the in-dash CD player, your dealership can install that for you. As an option, it is $200 from the factory, and your dealer would probably charge a little more for labor ~ $200. I've heard that overall it costs about $400 to have it done, but that dealers are willing to cut that price in half to $200 again, the same ammount it would have cost you had it come with the car. And I would think that the 6-disk changer with the premium sound system option should be installable at your dealer as well since the wiring should all be there. I think all Jaguars use some kind of Alpine system, I don't know if Lincoln uses the same.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    I had a Lincoln LS with the Alpine Stereo upgrade and trunk changer. I now have an X Type with the Alpine and trunk changer. I can't tell the difference in sound quality but whether they are exactly alike I don't know. If Alpine has a web site, perhaps you could ask there.
    Try autotoys.com They have S-type changers so it's possible they have X-type also even though it's not explicitly listed. Maybe you could check with the dealer and see if the S-type changer is the same.
  • jonty12jonty12 Posts: 101
    the problem with aftermarket systems is that the x-type "wiring" is fibre optic not standard. therefore, standard systems DO NOT work. other boards have mentioned some companies working on an interface, but as far as i have seen there are none on the market yet. a standard changer (or an LS changer, or an S changer) will NOT work in an X. you're kind of tied to the dealer right now in terms of aftermarket electronics.
    Now that really sucks. Changing the wiring was bad enough but that could be fixed with a new harness. Sounds like it's either OEM from Jag or a new head unit, but then you'll lose the external controls. I would bite the bullet and get the best deal you can from Jag.
    The X-TYPE now accounts for over half of Jaguar's total sales, and Jaguar's sales in the U.S. is up 62% for 2002, largely because of the X-TYPE. The very successful S-TYPE doubled sales for Jaguar when it was introduced, and now the X-TYPE must double that number. I have no doubt that it will. GO JAGUAR!

THE ART of PERFORMANCE, A NEW BREED of JAGUAR.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    That's what Jaguar was hoping this new model would do. It looks like Jaguar is on a roll. I beleive the new XJ8 is the next model down the pipeline, and while that one probably won't double Jag's sales, let's hope it keeps the momentum going. Just yesterday I saw a beautiful blue X-Type cruising down the highway. Still haven't warmed up to the "squashed" headlights, but overall it's a very nice looking car. Then again, nice looking cars are something Jaguar is good at.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Actually the new 2003 S Type is getting raves already. While not much different on the outside it is almost totally new under the skin. From comments from new owners on the Jag BB, I guess it should be a real winner.

As for headlights on the X, I had an American car sales lady tell me that she "really liked the headlights" of all things. They are "frenched" like the customizers used to do in the '50s.
    When I first saw the car in some early photographs, I liked the way it looked, but the elliptical headlights looked a bit small to me. Now, however, I think that they really look nice, and when I see them, they look very large and alert. They also match the ellipses that glow in the taillights and the elliptical openings of the chrome, dual exhausts.

They are bright, too! I love my X-TYPE, and I just cleaned the leather today.

• homer61388homer61388 Posts: 54
    I am currently looking at these 4 cars. I like all 4 but I am looking for, sportiness, performance, reliability, value, and safety and quality. I really like the Jag because it has 4-wheel drive, a great thing to have in these Mid-west winter climates. I like the fact that it is a Jag. I have never owned a Jag and it looks like it was put together relatively well. I like the paint job, which was what really caught my eye and got me looking at this car in the 1st place. However, I know that most jags are not known for there reliability and are expensive to fix since they aren't made here. The technology is expensive to repair if it suddenly breaks.

I like the Mercedes too. I like its peppy power train. And I know that it will last because my sister has a 1997 E320 with 80,000 miles on it. A side from the normal wear and tear the 3.2 engine is still running as smoothly as when it was new. But the orange peel paint job was a definite turn off when I saw it up close.

I absolutely love the Lexus. I like the interior especially the wood that is very attractive and I like the sporty design. To me, the Lexus is too much like its sister the Camry. The engine, although smooth isn't a barn burner. It does get the job done adequately however. AND I HAVE HEARD ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS ENGINE. LIKE HOW THE OIL WOULD OOZE AND CLOG THE ENGINE. I think that it was called "sludge." Although Toyota and Lexus do make superior cars.

And last, the Acura. I have always marveled at their engine design. I love the engine especially the "high output version." That baby just sings all the way to the red line! I like this car but I think that its styling is understated and while I can't get over the performance of this car, it just doesn't hit the right spot. It may be a great car to have and it might be the one I buy.

Ok, now that I have told you what I like about these cars I am just looking for any "INSIDE INFO." Just give me your opinion about these cars. All the cars will have automatics and all will have leather, heated seats, power everything and any other gadget that looks appealing. I WANT SAFETY( #1), performance, (#2), reliability (#3), quality (#4), sportiness (#5), and value (#6). Mind you that I want all these qualities in my car. Just give any useful info and just tell me what you think!

thanks!!!1
    Stop hitting the reload button! Go back and delete your previous multiple posts (you'll see a delete button next to each of your posts.

I would strongly suggest adding the Lincoln LS to your list. It will outhandle all the cars you mentioned and it offers a V8 nicely loaded (lots of features) for less than $40K. You can also get a great deal on a 2002 right now or pick up a used one for a song. You may not like it but you should at least test drive it before deciding.
  • Was the 3-series excluded for a particular reason?

All the choices meet the criteria. Try to stay away from first year model runs, as they tend to have more troubles, even at Lexus.
  • kvsm3kvsm3 Posts: 32
    Obviously as mentioned before the 3 series BMW and the Audi A4 should be included.
    The Jag, MB, BMW,and Audi will have free maintenance for a minimum of 3 years. I know the Audi has it for 4 years/50K miles.
    The ES 300 is a reliable car but its basically a glorified Camry.
    The TL Acura is a great bang for the buck but its FWD like the ES 300.
    You should definitely test drive all the cars before making your decision.
    I have heard the Xtype is having lot of problems and some of those issues are mention in Edmunds' own reviews. I have heard the reliability is not that great either.
    the BMW,MB,Audi, and Lexus are proven cars.
    If you specifically want AWD, then Audi and BMW might be your only choice. You can opt for a 325XI or 330XI or the quattro models of Audi.
    If you want superb dealer service, then get a Lexus, maybe even the IS300 which is RWD. You would have to like the styling and the interior.
    Clearly, I would go for the German or Japanese brands.
  • skobolaskobola Posts: 207
    I would certainly vote for Bimmer 330ix, although you have not included it in your list, yet it certainly fills almost all of your 5 requirements the best, like performance, reliability, quality and sportiness. I guess that the value would be included by BMW filling the first 4 as being at the top of each of these categories, but it is to you to decide.