Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• Don't worry at all, marchie, your car will be fine. The engine break-in period is at most 1,000 miles on these cars, as most of the actual break-in period is done at the factory for the engines. All that really means is, don't floor the car too many times in the first 1,000 miles, and don't use the cruise control in the first 1,000 miles as you want the engine to vary speeds often in the break-in period.

As for the AWD, you also have nothing to worry about. As the car always has a 40% to the front 60% to the rear torque split unless slip is detected where power must go to other wheels, the AWD system is always engaged. No matter what conditions you are in, the AWD will be working, so the only break-in period that it would need or experience is the one that is really for the engine (since you won't be trying any 0-100 mph sprints to beat a best time in the first 1,000 miles, etc.). In other words, you only have to break-in the engine, the AWD is ready to go; you can take it to your hilly, snowy road in PA without any concern.

Have a good time! (And don't worry!) Your car is for the most part ready to go when you get it.
  • "Drove on light snow (very slick and icy)yesterday. Bad news!! But I would have had the problem with any car. They don't do well on ice. I slid through one intersection and the traction and stability systems turned on. Needless to say, I slowed down."
    -from a CTS owner from the Cadillac CTS board, message 1744.

Actually, he wouldn't have slipped on ice with the X-type, at least not nearly as badly. X- is a great snow and ice handler. Some members on the "other" Jaguar X-type boards that we aren't supposed to talk about (I'm not talking about the other ones *here*) said their X-types compared favorably to their 4x4 SUVs in the snow and on the ice. I guess it's like that X-type ad with the snow plow I posted 2 links to a few messages back.

"Saw a baby Jag in person for the first time and they are gorgeous!"
    -from the Mazda 6 board, message 57

"[X-type] is all Jaguar."
    -from Car & Driver 2003 Buyers Guide. The X-type is in the LUXURY CAR section, not the 'near luxury' section.
  • Maxim Magazine (no, I'm not a reader, I just found this on the net) created a Flash game on the internet where you "get behind the wheel of a Jaguar X-type."

The game really isn't all that great, and you don't really drive the car, but it is "interesting" to check out if you feel like you have time to kill. You can also choose between an Adriatic and Titanium X-type to take on your trip. Needless to say, they found the car "sexy," and its "X"-designation went over well.

http://www.maximonline.com/contests/jaguar/

Prizes can be won for high scores in the game...
  • marchiemarchie Posts: 11
    To continue the discussion about the first miles a car has to be driven in a special way (even if it comes prepared from factory), I have one more, and last worry before The Big Encounter: its mileage already had.

Today I go to pick her up but as it was ordered from somewhere else, it will have "about 20 miles --says the dealer--" on its odometer. Hmm. First when I asked him how many miles it has, he said "between 5-10," but after the second question he said that it comes from Hempstead (to NY), "that is about 20 miles away." I was very upset that they drive the car instead of have it carried to the place of pick-up (and also that Heampstead is 50, not 20, miles away. I then asked for who drives it. He said "a very good driver." Please JAGBOYXTYPE, or whoever knows the answer: what should I do at this point? I want a brand new car (with NO mileage on it) as I PAY a brand new car. But forget about the money. They say that depreciation starts with DRIVING car away from dealer's lot. Isn't this a similar situation, as it is DRIVEN from (even if ANOTHER) dealer's lot? PLEASE ANSWER A.S.A.P, MATTER IS URGENT.

Thanks.
    M.
  • The dealer in my town has cars that are used for test drives, the actual car you purchase usually is still "wrapped-up". Mine, when "unwrapped" had 8 miles on it, which is usually from the factory to the shipper. My bill of sale indicated the odometer reading at the point of transference.

If in fact your car is new and not a demo model and that Jaguar dealers follow the same procedures, your new car should have minimal miles on it and be "unwrapped" and prepped by YOUR DEALER.

As for transferring the vehicle from one dealer to the next, I am surprised they would take the liability in driving it, not least the fact that as a premium vehicle, out of respect and courtesy to you that they would INSIST on flat bedding it.

If it were me, I would definitely have a contingency that allows it to be refused.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Many dealers do dealer trades and have the car driven (actually they exchange one vehicle for another) from the exchanging dealer. They always say they have excellent drivers of course. The car will always have a few miles on it. Hopefully after they "unwrap" it a mechanic gets in and drives it 3 or 4 miles to make sure it runs properly.

An alternative for you would be to go with the driver and drive your own car back from the dealer who is providing the trade. Another
    alternative is to order your car from the factory. That is if you can wait that long!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    If you feel that strongly about it, either pay to have the car trucked to your dealer or get another car. Anything up to 50 miles is quite normal. Think about it - your new car will have 50 miles on it within the first day or two anyway. As long as there's no damage (rock chips, etc.) I don't see anything wrong with it. If you don't like it then keep shopping but it's quite normal for the dealer to do that.
    Well, it is done. In the papers they said it had a 15 miles odometer reading, actually it had 30. I took it. Strangely enough in their "title" they were mentioning a third dealer's name (not the PA which transferred to NY one) but California. Hmm. I am not sure if just one day is enough but bringing her home from the dealer was a pleasure. I will tell more after next week I go to PA house (snowy/icy) uphill. Thank you very much for your input.
  • I took my X in for some routine items, didn't take long. However, while I was there several customers needed a loaner car. Can anyone who has used the loaner tell me the "procedure" in receiving one. From what I observed, it is MUCH different from my previous years with Infiniti service.
    My new baby was a doll, both on ordinary highway and the very icy hilly road going to my PA house. The only unpleasant surprise was the more than 3 ft high snow covering the 400 ft driveway (and I do not have a snow blower!). It is true, it does not have the power of the Trans Am, but the Trans Am does not have her talents. And she is so beautiful! My dog slept for the first time on a flat surface, most of the time (which is unusual). I have put about 400 miles on it already. I am very happy with my new car and I am very disappointed with the sale decrease of the Jags X type here in the US threatening with its extinction.
  • ...will be around for a long time.

Europe was the only place where projected sales for Jag were down, and that was because 2/3 of all cars there are sold with a diesel, and Jaguar doesn't have one ready yet. There will be diesel X-types soon though. And the "estate" version, the sport wagon will come out soon, too. X-type exceeded demand in the US for 2002, with sales up 238% over 2001. Jaguar also had a worldwide sales record in 2002, thanks in much part to the X-type. They won't stop making thier best selling model. 2009 is the scheduled redesign - that's no time soon, and they are definitely keeping "X-type" in the lineup as a long lasting model.
  • Look for a new major add campaign to highlight the standard permenant AWD system of the X-type, which gives it claws in any weather conditions, on any road surfaces versus all of its competitors.

http://www.pressi.com/int/productnovelty/58330.html

Some other info of note in the article above:

"Since its U.S. debut in September 2001, the X-TYPE has become Jaguar’s best-selling model ever, and continues to break sales records. Last year, 33,018 X-TYPEs were sold, accounting for an impressive 12 percent of the highly-competitive compact-luxury segment.

The car has also been hugely successful in attracting new buyers to the Jaguar brand. For more than 90 percent of buyers, the X-TYPE was their first Jaguar. And of those, 47 percent were women – the highest percentage in this segment."

AND

"Technically, the X-TYPE’s Traction 4 system uses a planetary center differential with a viscous coupling. In poor weather, the viscous coupling automatically, and seamlessly, transfers power away from the slipping wheels to those with the best traction.

The system sets the Jaguar apart from front- and rear-wheel-drive models in this segment. Also the viscous coupling technology provides more positive power transfer than various traction control systems that rely only on brake action to manage torque distribution."
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    that has a live-in cheerleader.

That said, it's pleasant to note that actual other people have posted over the past couple of weeks.

Thanks, all.
  • jonty12jonty12 Posts: 101
    you think his pompoms are british racing green?
  • Sorry, I thought I was helping discussions by posting recent news about the car... If you don't like it, I'll quit...

Bye guys.
    I really do not understand the attacks on the most informed posts presented by Jagboyxtype. If it was something challenging his indeed helpful knowledge with similar knowledge on X-type Jaguar, I (and not only, because this is a public forum) would have similarly interested read these "attacks." But they say nothing but jealousy and immaturity which is not nice. Jagboyxtype, do not leave. Or if you do, please let me know your email address because there are still thousand things that I (like many other people not only NOT Jag owners like your attackers posting here) do not know and need to know. Thank you.
  • mjc440mjc440 Posts: 76
    I'm undecided between an Audi A4 and the Jaguar X-Type. Both are great cars and have AWD. I like the Jag's looks a little better.

The Audis seem to have average reliability - My question is how's the reliability of the X-Type?

I know the older 80s-90's Jaguars were unreliable, but hopefully the new X-Types are better. I don't expect it to be as reliable as my Accord, but on the other hand, I don't want to be running to the dealer every other month.

Anyone out there with any mechanical problems?

Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I don't think calling an overly enthusiastic young X-type owner a cheerleader could be considered a "personal attack". I think it's an accurate description. I also don't see anything wrong with his posts. He's young and very excited about his car. If I had a X-type when I was his age I'd be excited too. It was not a personal attack. Get over it.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    The early X Types had some teething problems as most first year models do. From the recent reports I hav seen the 2003 model has been close to faultless. The earlier problems have been addressed. I have an early build 9/01 X Type and
    in the 10,500 miles I have driven it so far I have had no problems other than a weeping wind-
    shield washer jet. So you never know.
  • I've searched but cannot find any information on Jag-Net. I assume it's like GM's OnStar. Do all vehicles come with the necessary hardware? Why do you have to sign up for three years? Why doesn't Jaguar provide a shorter option? I think that On Star offers a free first year.