Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• lovemyjag,
    I am thinking of purchasing my first Jaguar, a 2005 X Type with Navigation. I now own a Nissan Murano (2004) and have the navigation system included. The price is approximately the same, the jag being more expensive by about $500. They are both quite easy to use, after looking at and operating the one in the dealers lot. If you have not had one before, but are somewhat computer literate, you will do very well. It is, on the Jaguar, a touch screen version and actually quite easy to operate. Now, after answering your inquiry, may I make one or two? What are my largest expected expenses with this car? The Nissan has been no expense other than oil changes (I change oil at 3,000 mile intervals) and the 30,000 mile checkup. Yes, I do put quite a few miles on the car in a year. Will I be able to get 200,000 miles out of this vehicle? I am very meticulous about maintenance and operation. Thanks for the reading of this note. Look forward to your informed reply. Clarinetman
  • Painful is really the best description of what it has been like to own this vehicle. I've read many posts on this site about others with the same set of
    problems that we had with our 2002 X-Type. This has not made
    our experience any easier. In fact, it actually made it more frustrating, since
    everyone is aware of its shortcomings, but nobody is willing to
    admit to them and address them as they should. Knowing that we were not the only one's with the same cluster of problems did not make it any easier to endure the
    ups and downs of owning this car. As a result, we recently called it
    quits. This is definitely a pretty car to look at, but a car must
    be more than that - and this car failed miserably to live up to our
    expectations. From constant noises, failed electricals, to the
    endless repairs (86 days worth), it has been a nonstop nonthrill
    ride! The biggest nonthrill happened when we decided to cut our
    losses and found out how little value our X-Type had retained over
    the three painfully long years that we owned it. We've owned and
    sold a good number of cars in our days, but never took as big a hit
    as this! If you are interested in knowing more, please feel free to
    visit http://mysite.verizon.net/disgusted_with_x-type/index.html
    where we have attempted to chronicle our painful journey with this
    car. Best of luck to you all.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Little counterpoint here: We owned an '02 XType 3.0 for the length of our 39 month lease and had absolutely no problems. None. Nada. Zilch. At any rate, clarinetman is looking at a 2005 not an "02. Very different car with none of the problems of the first year build cars. We now have an '05 sport and are extremely happy with it. BTW, that is why we lease. We don't have to worry about the trade in value. JNA gets to worry about that.
  • pugger1pugger1 Posts: 42
    I understand the need for those out there in E-land to have their negative feelings about cars. Most of those feeling are based on your experience with a particular car and dealer. I have a 2003 X-type that I really enjoy driving and owning. The car has the flash that I like. The dealership that I use has done a positive job of working with me on any problems. The problems that I experienced have been quite small and have been corrected with one visit. Bottomline, some just need to whine.
  • If you have not had significant problems with your car, then you are fortunate.

If someone takes the time to let others (some of whom have the same problems with their vehicle) know that they aren't alone (as they may have been told by their dealership/Jaguar), that is not whining. The list of parts that were replaced one or many times on our vehicle speaks for itself.

Our X-type made enough WHINING, rattling, clicking, howling, crunching and thunking sounds, that we don't have to. The car speaks for itself. I personally don't like that in a car.

I hope your positive experience with your car continues!
  • figaromdfigaromd Posts: 18
    test drive the all-new 2005 Avalon it's a lot better than the wannabee baby jag. jags are good for weekend joy rides they're not your reliable transportation and never will be. those who claim never having a problem are distinctly a minority.
    figaromd - On April 11, you said on the Avalon board:

"i test drove the new car. the gas pedal felt heavier than my '98 xls. the 'leather' felt like vinyl, and the new looks are plain and boring.

i'm getting an x-type instead."

A little inconsistent aren't you? An Avalon is okay if you want to drive an appliance. The Jaguar has soul. They cannot be compared.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    the mods in the Townhall are not always on "troll patrol".

The Avalon and X-type are in two completely different markets (and that's not insulting either one).
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    figaromd,

charlienmr1's 2004 Jaguar XJ8 has 27,000 miles and has been reliable.

(check the XJ Series thread for proof)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Not every negative comment is made by a troll .... but if you think there is one, just drop me an email. Let's not get into it here.

Also, you folks who say it's not reliable, yes it is reliable, would be more credible if you posted some honest to goodness stats from reliable sources. There is not one manufacturer in the world who doesn't produce vehicles with no problems and vehicles with problems. In other words, anecdotal evidence is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)
  • figaromdfigaromd Posts: 18
    you mean the jaguar *had* soul.

get a toyota if you want reliable transportation. i may not like the looks of the new avalon but performance-wise it's top notch.

and i wouldn't call the baby x-type exactly 'luxurious' -- for that i'd get a *real* adult-sized jag. if you're bitching about maintenance problems on a jag then you probably shouldn't have one.
    I've had NO maintenance problems with either of my XTypes so no bitching from me. I might add that I have an '04 Toyota Highlander Limited 3.3 liter and it is a wonderful vehicle. But it ain't no Jaguar.
  • Clarinetman,
    Thanks for responding. I decided to wait for the '06 X-Type to come out, so I have some time to do more research. Now that I have been reading more, it appears the X-Type isn't going to be around too much longer. I keep my cars for 4 yrs., but what kind of trade in will I get in 2009? Have you decided definitely to get the X-Type? I love mine and haven't had all the problems other readers have experienced. The problems I have had hasn't discouraged me from purchasing another one, but I don't like the reasons for why it is being discontinued in 2009.
    I think the interior is beautiful and so does everyone else I know who has seen or been in mine. It's disappointing to know it will eventually be discontinued.
    "lovemyjag"
  • gandb7gandb7 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 X Type 3.0 with the automatic on headlights. I would like to have the headlights stay on and use them as driving lights, and only go off when I turn off the key.
    Does anyone know how this can be done ?
    Thanks gandb7
  • What car would be a better overall buy between a Jaguar 02 X-type or a 02 Lincoln LS V8. Meaning with montly payments, insurance, everyday problems, which one would u guys buy if the choice was up to you. I am 23 years old, make good money for a 23 yr old, Living in Scottsdale, AZ. Cannot pick which one is the better buy. Any responses would be great. thanks ya'll
  • dawn7dawn7 Posts: 7
    The X-Type was recently rated the highest quality car from Europe, with the X-Type assembly plant earning the highest Gold award from JDPowers in 2005.

Jaguar powertrains were also rated the highest quality powertrains of any manufacturer in the world by the 2005 JD power survey.

Jaguar was rated #2 in overall quality of all brands in the 2005 JDPower survey.
    Well I'm a guy who has had both cars and loved them both. I bought a Lincoln LS soon after they came out in 2000. It was a V6 and I loved it. Then had a 2002 Jaguar XType for 3 years. Both cars have taken a huge depreciation hit which makes them excellent buys. You would be much more exclusive with the Jag but maintanence on the LS should be less costly.

Both cars were extensively modified internally after their initial introduction. If it was me, I would go for a 2003 of either brand. The Lincoln in particular had many changes in 2003. The 2003 Jag addressed many of the problems that the early build cars had. The LS will handle just as well as the Jag and you don't need the
    AWD of the XType in Scottsdale. Still, there is something about a Jag.....

So, bottom line, I would go for a 2003 and buy the one that you will enjoy most. It is a subjective decision only you can make.
  • allibleserallibleser Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 X-Type. We put the knob for the lights all the way to the right as far as it will go. This is automatic mode. The lights will come on when operating the vehicle and go off when you turn the car off. It will do it all automatically.
  • allibleserallibleser Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 X-Type Jaguar and my in-laws have a 2004 X-Type. Oddly, within about a week of eachother, we both had problems with our front tires. They started thumping really bad like they were about to blow. Thankfully, they did not. When we took our cars in we were told the cars were out of alignment, therefore the tires were wearing wrong. Granted, neither of us drives on rough terrain! The breakdown was $400 for an alignment and $200 for each tire. We went to another local shop and were quoted $50 for an alignment and $115 per tire. We opted to go there. Nonetheless, we found it very odd that we both experienced the exact same problem with relatively new cars.
    Has anyone else experienced front-end alignment problems with their X-Types. The only other problem we've experienced is headlights going out. That was 6 months after purchasing the car.
  • I purchased 2002 X Type jaguar today. In the quiet of my garage I hear a quiet
    hum coming from the heat/air conditioner vent just aboue the emergency flasher
    button. Is this normal? What could this be?

Very concerned.. Chicagofred
    Well chicagofred, to put your mind at ease..."they all do that." This is the favorite reply from service writers everywhere but in this case it is true. There was a big discussion of this noise on another board and the only plausible explanation I saw from Jaguar was that it was the temperature sensor which runs all the time.
  • manofluvmanofluv Posts: 4
    2178 of 2178 New Owner by manofluv Jul 11, 2005 (10:19 am)

I got an "05" X-Type VDP a few weeks ago I so far so good. I also own
    a "04" highlander. My wife wanted a Camery of Avalon I talked her into
    the Jaguar. The jag has a personality all it's own and my wife and I love it. I
    wanted the X-Type because of the AWD. I wanted the Jag because its a Jag. Every
    car has it's problems. My Highlander came with a remote start and sometimes the
    car just starts on its own and no one knows why; but I wont bash Toyota or the
    Highlander for that.
  • mattr82mattr82 Posts: 41
    Hi Manofluv,
    Congrats on your new car! We are pretty much looking for the exact same vehicle (X-TYPE VDP with navigation-we are looking for a metallic platinum with ebony interior) Could you give me an idea on how much we should be paying, how the negotiation of the car went, and how the whole experience was. We are in New Jersey. Thanks again in advance. We have not been able to get much information for this particular car from anyone.
    All the best,
    Matt
  • manofluvmanofluv Posts: 4
    I think I paid to much for my car but they had the one I wanted and I didn't feel like fighting. I got the Ebony with the Ivory interior. My wife just loves the car now she gets plenty of attention from on lookers while driving the Jag.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Posts: 214
    This message board has been surprisingly quiet about the notorious howling, droning and whining of the X-Type's drivetrain. I am slowly approaching the 10000 mile mark, which means I will be getting my first scheduled maintenance in my '04 2.5 manual model. The noise is extremely annoying at highway speeds, but it goes away below 50 mph. X-Type is an awesome vehicle, lots of fun to drive and otherwise trouble free, but the drivetrain noise is simply unacceptable in a luxury car. Honestly, I wouldn't accept it in a Kia or any other non-luxury car. The last "fix" the dealer installed was a noise-muffleing cover for the undercarriage, but it did not help much. Am I the only one left with this trouble?

Also, I noticed that my 2.5 engine does not always idle smoothly. It will sometimes, especially soon after stopping, drop rpm to 500, then bring it back up to 900 to finally settle on 700 or so. It almost feels like it is ready to stall, although it never did actually stall. Any ideas?
    I guess the lack of replies denotes that the rest of us have cars that are not exhibiting these traits and are perfect :D My '02 escaped most of the early build problems and my current '05 sport has been trouble free so far. I'm sure you know that you can take your car in for the 10K service after 12 months no matter what the mileage. Sounds like you should insist on a fix even if you have to get a factory rep involved.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Posts: 214
    I remember many X owners posting their issues with the loud drivetrain several months ago. Perhaps they gave up on a solution and are just living with a noisy Jag or by now they traded them in for something quieter.
  • I have a 2002 X-type that has an intermittent whirring noise that comes from the steering wheel. Has anyone had the same problem? I mentioned this once to the Jag service dept. prior to last service and they seemed to recognize the problem but did not say what it was. When I picked up the car the noise was not there but now it has returned. Any ideas on this topic?
  • Please provide more detail on your problem i.e. when you hear it, is it when the car is running, engine reving or ignition off? How loud is the noise?
  • It only happens when the car is running normally. You turn the steering wheel and there is a whirring noise. But not all of the time. No rhyme or reason as to when it will happen or when it won't. Not doing anything special. Just driving normally. Happens when turning left and right. The noise is not very loud. But it is clear.
    I just found on auto.consumerguide.com a listed problem which may be the answer. It says that the 2002 X-type had a problem with noise from the power steering system. It requires the system to be flushed and a revised fluid to be added. So I am going back to the Jag dealer to have it looked at.