Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• timbesqtimbesq Posts: 11
    Sorry about the repeat. I seem to have stuttered somehow.
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Posts: 241
    Don't worry about it; there's a "DELETE" button available to you if you want to remove doubled posts, etc. I usually use the edit button a lot too, finding all kinds of spelling and gramatical mistakes, with which my posts are usually replete.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    happens when you hit "refresh" as the next action after you have posted. The software here just foolishly reposts the message. The solution is to go somewhere else and come back before you hit refresh.
    This is a video of the new 2004 X-type diesel in higher and lower bandwidths, that another Jaguar owner found and posted on another board (so give him credit for finding these; I just steal the stuff ;-P ). You can either click them to have them open in your media player, or right click and save them for better performance if your bandwidth is not great. They are Windows Media format and 2:39 minutes long, so you're getting your click's worth.

low:

http://www.jaguarcars.com/video/xtype/xtype_source_wm_low.wmv

high:

http://www.jaguarcars.com/video/xtype/xtype_source_wm_high.wmv

Note the subtle changes to the look of the car, including the clear indicator lights, new trunk release - I like it - (the 2004 S-type, which also gets a diesel, had its rear restyled in the same fashion), etc. The wheels are the "R" wheels. The car is absolutely stunning. I used to think it was just a good looking Jaguar, but now, having seen it moving around on the road for almost three minutes, I'm convinced that it's the best looking car in its class and that its style even outclasses most everything else on the road too.

Also for your viewing pleasure, the same person who found the video above also found one of the original X-type advertisments. I don't personally care for this one very much, as it's a bit abstract and the car is shown through some weird lenses, skewing its proportions. It's only 59 seconds long. Not bad, but it is more of a "lifestyle" ad than one that shows the car.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/jconawa/xtype_winhigh.asf
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I love Jaguars and am happy to know there are others who LOVE their luxury and styling.
    When I got my X-type, I was so drawn to the car that I decided to research every aspect of it that I could. Well, what began as a thin folder of reviews and data eventually grew into a book, and since the car's history continues to expand almost every day, it's turned into a volume now, which I'm sure someday will rival Britanica :-) Anyway, I've finally completed Volume 1 of my work, and here are some of my own photos of parts of it. Just click the link to see a 500 by 333 resolution image; sorry I couldn't get the images to be stable here with "img src" tags.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81305855/81306335LfKzlt

above: As you can see by the previous generation Jaguar symbol featured on the cover, this data has been collected for quite some time now.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81305855/81308230MszPKt

above: There are many photographs that are arranged in historical order.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81305855/81308478KpLzKz

above: This first book also features TONS of information; it is pretty much a "databank" of all that I know about the car and it features much of my research - mind you, this is only volume 1, which has been completed (i.e. put in correct order, etc. - the Britanica statement was no joke). The photos accompanied by the information on the pages of data that you see above are from "inside Jaguar." See the structure of the car in the upper lefthand corner of the page? I'll just say that the X-type truly does only share 6 hardpoints with the Mondeo and the rest of the chassis is all Jaguar - I have the photos (see them) to prove it too! The green areas show areas of the X-type's structure that were re-enforced with the use of the ultra highstrength steel found in the roof of the Volvo XC70 SUV, which is practically uncrushable - so is the X-type, and that's also why it has the most rigid structure in its class.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81305855/81309530DmVsNS

above: I told you it was pretty thick.

Well, that was just a tiny preview. I have 17 snapshots of the same rather small resolution of parts of the book at my webshots homepage, along with over 100 photos of my car. I need to update the page with the latest photos of my car, so I'll do that soon.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jagboyxtype

Anyway, all of my research is being documented, so it will never be lost. And that's why I have so much information about the X-type. If you need to know anything about the car, I probably have the answer somewhere, if not in that finalized version of volume 1, then in another volume that's still being put together. Just so you know how much information I've collected about the X-type, volume 1 is pretty much just the introduction of the car - it barely spans into 2002 and the diesels and changes for 2004 probably won't be found in a final volume until vol. number 8 or so.
    The NHTSA just released its 2003 impact ratings with a long list of vehicles on the list. The X-type did very very well, with a solid equal performance all around.

X-type's competitors also all had for the most part solid performances, but the BMW 3-Series aparently did so poorly in areas that the NHTSA had to "note safety concerns not reflected in the star rating" for it and the Honda Element, indicated by the"*"'s by their ratings:

"In accordance with NHTSA policy to note safety concerns not reflected in the star rating, today’s release highlights two vehicles recently tested:

During the side impact test of the Honda Element, the head of the left rear passenger dummy struck the side upper interior structure. Measurement of the impact indicates a higher likelihood of serious head trauma.

During the side impact test of the BMW 325, the force measured on the driver’s pelvis indicated a high likelihood of pelvic injury.
    "

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?ye- ar=2003&filename=pr31-03.html
  • msisengmsiseng Posts: 369
    Owning both a Jag X and an Infinity G35, I am sticking with Jag forever. The service is what will keep me as a customer. The Japanese have a long way to go to get things right.

Cannot wait for the faster Jag engine to come to the states!
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Anyone know what sort of factory to dealer or factory to buyer rebates and finance incentives there are in midwest?

Wondering if Jaguar is offering 0 percent or close to that for up to 5 years? Want to lock in a great deal before interest rates go up. Trying to find my wife a replacement for her 323ia. She was interested in BMW (3 Series), MB (C Class), Infiniti (G35), Acura (TSX), and Lexus (IS300), but they aren't offering great incentives in my area. Dealers holding for MSRP and their financing companies aren't offering anything close to 0 percent. (She doesn't like Cadillac CTS or Lincoln LS, both of which have great deals on price and financing.)

She'd consider a Jag X-type (only in BRG). Noticed Jaguar aggressively promoting leasing deals. My local Jag dealer's ads only discuss leasing. But I don't want to lease. Got me thinking that Jaguar might have some incentives for buyers. Only interested if I can get thousands off MSRP (pay at or below invoice) and 0 percent financing.
    to my knowledge, Jaguar still doesn't do 0% financing. All incentives are things like $<insert price here> off for the manual transmission incentive, etc.

Some of it depends on the equipment she wants on the car - not so much option packages, but things like engine size and transmission. Jaguar has decided to try and raise the number of 3.0 liter sales v. 2.5's, so they actually may have higher incentives on them than the 2.5 models, despite starting at a higher base price - the performance difference is very noticeable to some, and an expected difference by others. How do you think I ended up with the larger engine? Then the transmission choice has a pretty big impact. Most Jaguar buyers still want the automatic transmission, so there are big incentives on the manual trannies - that knocks a few thousand off right there. On top of that, Jaguar is already moving the 2003 cars off the lots to make room for the 2004's to arrive - this is probably the best time of year to buy since they are trying to ship the cars out. PAG rebounded and made $166,000,000 profit recently, so Jaguar shouldn't be too greedy. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the price to where you want it, though you may have to sacrafice the chrome wheels.

Oh yes, the Sport Package would probably be to your liking as it has quite an impact in bringing out the performance spirit of the car - if your wife still wants chrome and the traditional wood color instead of the body-colored sport blades and gray-stained wood, there are some examples of Sport models with chrome and traditional wood out there.

All-out purchasers also get some extra incentives because Jaguar wants to raise the level of purchasers v. leasers. You'll get the price you want if you let them know you want to buy.
    I just read an article that had a little blurb on the new SCV8 sedan/saloon car racing series. The X-type racer aparently will have a 550 horsepower V8 under its hood, er bonnet! I'd take one of those...
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    jagboyxtype... Thanks. Too bad. Looks like I'll have to try and talk her into a CTS or LS to get 0.0% financing. Or maybe an Audi A4 (Audi had been offering 1.9%). My purchase is price sensitive but I'm even more interest rate sensitive. Thinking low interest rates can't stay this low forever and want to lock some great low rate in for 5 years. At 0.0 percent, you save a small fortune in interest costs on $30-40k of principal over 5 years. And helps keep you on the upside of your loan, as all payments are principal.
    ... your Jaguar dealer about lower financing rates, despite no "advertized" or official 0% rate. Jaguar will usually bend or break the established rates to accomodate a customer if the rate is of great importance v. normal deductions in price (e.g. - most people are attracted by such things as "$2000 off all manual transmission cars!" where the total incentive can be seen as a set amount of cash; Jaguar would accomodate you with a better financing rate if that's more to your liking, plus whatever other incentives are on the car.)

I just checked Autosite to see what's out there quickly, but they've got some error and their stupid list only loads just past Chrysler; maybe you'd have better luck. The list was last updated 3/17/03, so it's a pretty good source, though they manytimes aren't aware of all the incentives on cars (like the new Audis in the used pile).

http://www.autosite.com/new/grabbag/rebatet.asp
    From previously looking at the list (when it would load all the way), Jaguar's rates and BMW's were usually nearly identical around 2.9%. However, the Jag dealers are usually very much "dealers," and getting them to match the competition with a financing rate shouldn't be that difficult, especially with Jaguar's financing being under Jaguar's control, rather than the parent company's so much. Your dealer will either be very helpful and try to match and/or give a better offer than the competition, or he/she will have the "this is a Jaguar, sir" attitude as if to almost ask you to leave the lot. If you have a great dealer, fantastic deals can happen the way you want them to. With so many companies doing 0% or 1.9%, Jaguar, though not advertizing it, would probably do the same for an interested customer.

"Looks like I'll have to try and talk her into a CTS or LS to get 0.0% financing." Ouch! If she doesn't like "Art & Science," you're going to have to do a lot of talking (I don't think it's a bad looking car, but then I also think that BMW's, Jaguar's, and Mercedes' executions of their styles turned out a little better - IMHO). Does the CTS have 0% on it now? From what I've read from the CTS board (and I'll admit I haven't been there very recently), all the owners had been unable to find 0% deals, as some of Cadillac's cars were not part of the whole "GM Summer Drive Event" or whatever the thing was called (yet somehow Saab got 0%). Autosite says CTS has a 1.9% rate.

With Audi, you might be able to do better than the 1.9% rate for an A4. Things at Audi are worse than is generally known, and with them having moved new 2002 models into the used cars bin, and applying *used* car prices to all of them, a nice deal might come out of that. Audi and BMW were the two cars I also looked at most closely when choosing my car; the A4 got 3rd place out of the group of three. 3-Series and X-type both have strengths in different parts of their performance and drive a little differently, but both are smooth, refined, and balanced. Audi's engines, IMO, both felt a bit lethargic compared to the X-type's and 3-Series' offerings - the 1.8t doesn't match the 2.5's from BMW and Jag, and the Audi 3.0, while matching the BMW 3.0 and Jaguar 3.0 for displacement, creates less horsepower than both and is pulling a car that has hundreds of pounds more in weight compared to the 3 and X - and even though the A4 stuck to the road with Quattro, the chassis design and power distribution from the AWD still show some FWD characteristics compared to 3 and X. X, even though with AWD, has a RWD power bias along with a chassis design that keeps the dynamic weigh distribution of the car at the rear (despite the static weight dist.), further creating RWD handling with AWD grip. The A4 never shifts enough weight dynamically out of its front end to give the rear a bias, and the FWD dynamic weight distribution and the 50/50 torque split together give more power and traction to the front wheels, thus giving the car more FWD characteristics. C&R noted about the same thing with the RS6 in one of their supersedan comparisons. That's just my take on it, but as a performance car, the A4 isn't quite in the same league. It does have a nice interior, but the design seems kind of dated looking to me. Initial quality is also good, but I think about equal to BMW and Jaguar, and in terms of dependability from the J.D. Powers survey, Audi (like Mercedes and Volvo) still have some work to do; Jaguar and BMW both ranked "well above the industry average" at 11th place for Jaguar, making it the highest rated European Luxury Sport sedan marque, and BMW, at 13th place, quite a respectable second, so both Bimmer and Jag might hold up long term better than the Audi. I'm not trying to bash the Audi, that was just my experience with many tests of the car - I still think it's great, but its strengths are not in the same areas as the BMW and Jaguar. Between the Jag and BMW, the X offers more luxury, and the 3 offers a little bit more performance, but both are quite close, with the differentiating gap between them being much smaller than that which separates the Audi from what I've experienced with the cars. But the A4 is also physically about the same size as the 3-Series if your wife really likes that size, though the X-type's larger dimensions aren't really felt when going from one car to the other - it's not a huge difference. The X-type has about 10 inches more length, two inches more width, and two inches less height than the BMW 3 sedan (coupe height and X-type are about equal). I'd say the areas most affected by the X-type's different dimensions than the 3 are the rear seat being a bit larger and especially the trunk. In driving, they all feel the same size; 3 and X were extremely tossable, really begging to be thrown into a curve at illegal speeds and coming out as if you weren't going fast enough; X's AWD benefits really shine through in that area. With no LSD in the BMW, the computer would come on around a corner and make it a little awkward if the car was slipping. AWD wouldn't slip so the curves feel very natural in the Jag. If you want to have the rear end jerk out and slide around a corner in the AWD Jag though, it is possible.

Mine was an all-out purchase, but I got the nearly-loaded X-type 3.0 for invoice. BMW would have done the same for me on 330Ci optioned like the Jag (as close as possible) that I was considering highly, so you might even want to look at them again, too. In the end, it was my personal taste that won out with the Jag, it's luxury, and cornering performance, as either car would have been within $1,000 of the other with the invoice pricing Jaguar and BMW offered me. With Jaguar, being a purchaser - all out or through financing - usually brings out more incentives, in financing through rates.
    I bought my 2.5 X-Type three weeks ago at substantially below invoice. My dealer bent the rules a bit to cram the car into a $2,000.00demo/loaner program offered by Jag. This was not mentioned on Edmunds.com or anywhere else that I could find. My car was not a loaner or demo as the protective coating had to be stripped off prior to delivery. A motivated dealer will find a way to get you into the car. I have not run the financials, but the difference between 0% and 1.9% or 2.9% may even out with the incentive.
  • alpinemanalpineman Posts: 5
    Got Southern California pricing from another site. X-Type 2.5 w/ Sport Package (manual transmission) for $23,252. While the X-Type 2.5 non-Sport model w/ auto tranny, X1 premium package, and Xenon headlamps is $27,288. Is this right?! Prices good until 9/30/03.

Has anyone gotten a better deal? We're looking into the 2.5 non-sport model w/ auto tranny.
  • alpinemanalpineman Posts: 5
    May I ask which dealership got you this great deal?
  • roycecoleroycecole Posts: 9
    i am tired of dealing with a dealer that sucks
    the ford side my family walked away from years and now the Jaguar side
    1 they fix nothing correct
    2 you get you car back dirty
    3 they say well come back and we will get it correct like i have the time
    4 they do not sell at good price anymore and the dealership is to be sold soon because of thier failing system
    bye bye bye bye bye
    can not deal with a high end buyer in a crap area
    There's been a lot of news about how Land Rover is moving production of the next-generation Freelander to Halewood, where the X-type is currently produced. No, it will not be displacing the X-type, but will rather simply be built at another area of the facility. Primary reason for the move was PAG's seriousness at getting quality right. A while ago, Halewood accepted new production standards, where as Land Rover's current Freelander facility allows such things as eating on the job, etc., none of which is allowed at Halewood. Because of Halewood's status as the "jewel" of the PAG facilities, and because both Freelander and X-type are the best-selling respective Land Rover and Jaguar models, the new Freelander, in order to assure that its quality is far superior to that of the current version, joins the X-type at Halewood, whose quality has recently been found to be - shocking as it may seem to some - now of the best in the industry.
    I was working with LB Smith in Mechanicsburg, PA. Looking at your post about SoCal pricing, you may be able to find better now. Remember, my deal is now nearly a month old. Looking at the incentive information available on this website, I'm not positive how the dealer is getting to the numbers you've found. It would seem possible that there are hidden programs other than loaner/demo floating out there. The automatic for which you received a quote should invoice around $30,388. I can imagine a dealer letting it go at 3K below with the loaner/demo program, $500 for Jag Finance deals, and perhaps the dealer takes off advertising fees or something of that sort. At any event, sounds great to me. You might want to make sure that the car is a 2003 and not a leftover 2002.