Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jgkiijgkii Posts: 9
    That's just more fiction from those who get off on bashing the X-Type. Both the 2.5 and the 3.0 engines are unique to Jaguar. The block began life as a Ford Durotech, but Jaguar reworks the block, installs it's own heads, valve train, exhaust system, ecu, intake and so on. To claim that these engines are found in a Contour is pure fiction.
  • msisengmsiseng Posts: 369
    Thanks for the reply. I thought this was the case.

Seelig - that sounds like the price many of us paid (or leased) for the 2.5L in early '03. Does it include many options? If so, then go for it!
  • I just grabbed an x at a steal in spite of 43,200 miles on her. with less than 7k left on the warranty, should I purchase an additional warranty insurance- 4yr/100k @ $2,450.00? does that seem reasonable or does anyone know of a better price for extended coverage? Also, the car is equipped with phone features minus the phone. Does anyone have info on acquiring one?
  • msisengmsiseng Posts: 369
    That price sounds excessive. If you got the car at a wonderful price, then this may give you peace of mind.

Is your car an '02 or an '03? The '02 had many more problems, so I would get the warranty. If it is an '03, consider purchasing a warranty from a third-party.

Also, are there good Jaguar mechanics in your area?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Also, be sure to check out the discussions on our Finance, Warranty & Insurance board.
  • Hello Jag fans, anyone out there who has purchased a X-type 3.0 2004 have any comments on their cars. Is their noticeable improvements from the older models? I am planning on buying one at the end of the year. I would appreciate any comments. Thank you
  • mjp14mjp14 Posts: 1
    My lease is up and I must make a decision very soon. I have had 3 Lexus es autos and have never had a problem- it has been a very dependable car BUT the color selection is so limited and I think I would like a change. I am hooked on the navigation system and am willing to pay the difference and the lease payment for the Lexus and the Jag are the same... does anyone have a suggestion or any knowledge of the navigation systems in these cars.
  • I think you have been thoroughly spoiled by the great service of your Lexus dealer. You probably won't get that with the Jaguar dealer. I don't know where you live but I love the all wheel drive of the XType and it is great in the snow. Have you checked out the Lexus RX330? It has been redesigned and has gotton very good reviews. It would also have AWD.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    sat down with my father the other day and took him to go look at an 04 X type 3.0 he thinks its ok, not enough power though... but for me I think its just fine... he just likes a car that can scream up to 100 by the time you get to the end of the on ramp.... I don't think I need that ... as for the jag it suites me fine... he didn't like it in the fact that he doestn't fit comfortably into the car... he's 6'4 and I'm 5'6 so theres a bit of diff... then again its my car so it doesn't matter
    we also went and looked @ a G35 AWD, but I'm leary of that car since I know that they won't be comming down in prices, yet the regular ones they are willing to deal a bit... as for my father he doesn't like any of them he still likes the MB 230 Kompressor sedan out of them.... but its the smaller than them so I have to talk to him... he also likes the new E class and if he wants to pay the difference and let me get into an E MB well then I'm all for it...
  • jonty12jonty12 Posts: 101
    tell your father to play with the seat settings. i have a friend a little over 6'4" and about 250lbs. he loves the x-type, and fits in it perfectly. in comparison, he'd have to wear goggles to drive an xk8 convertible because his head's above the windshield.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    my dads 6'5 and somewhere in the range of 300lbs... its not the so much the hight that kills him its the leg room... theres only a few cars that he actaully can fit into comfortably with out having to tilt his seat back and try to jery rig a good seating possitions... actually begining to think that its a good thing that he can't fit in it comfortably cause I don't want him to drive it in the first place (lets just say hes not very nice to his cars, he just bluw up his engine in his car because he hasn't had the oil changed EVER its a 99 with 80K miles on it) plus he thinks he's a race car driver or something :)
  • Several months ago I posted on this board and asked for comments about my next car decision.

At that time I stated that I would be turning in my leased Lexus GS400 and that I loved the car but would not go Lexus again because '04 GS400/300 is basically the same car I have now; my wife has an ES300 and LS430 is too pricey for our budget. I also stated that my wife and I have had 4 Lexus products and are a bit spoiled with Lexus quality and service.

We are pleased to inform all that we have made our decision and will soon be taking delivery on a 2004 X-Type, British Racing Green, premium package, heated seats, and reverse park control. As you know 2004 model now has as standard moon-roof and split fold-down rear seats.

This time we are purchasing and not leasing.

We hope that we enjoy Jaguar as well as we have enjoyed Lexus and that the customer service and quality are in the same ball-park as Lexus.

The determining factors for us were: AWD, style, price, and our favorable impression of the dealership (Patrick Jaguar - Naperville, IL 'Chicago suburb').

Thanks to all for you comments and assistance in our decision.
  • Jer- Congrats on your new purchase. I know you will love the Jaguar. It has a certain cachet and style that the Lexus will never have. A couple things you left out were 3.0 or 2.5 and auto or stick? Unfortunately as I told you before; you have been spoiled by the great Lexus service and I doubt ANY Jag dealer will come up to those standards. Hopefully you can keep it out of the service dept. :-)
  • Purchased 3.0 with automatic transmission.

Will take delivery Saturday, December 13.

Car is in dealers stock and available to me now,
    but, I have to travel on business this week and don't want to leave the new "kitty" in the parking garage at O'Hare airport before I have a chance to put some miles on it.

Also, I have a few preparation items to complete on my Lexus before turning it in.

Thanks for your comments
  • kssodkssod Posts: 37
    As an 02 owner for 2 years my experience with 2 different Jag dealer service depts has been outstanding. I cannot imagine what Lexus could do above what if received. Complimentary pick-up and delivery, loaner Jags or LAnd Rovers, washed, cleaned and detailed inside and out etc. Best of all, service is included and they have truly extended themselves to sevice beyond the included scheduled maintanance, like balancing tires free, replacing air filters fuel filters etc to improve the driving experience.
  • Im in North Aurora! Heard good things about Patrick Jaguar. Did you shop around? Are they willing to deal on the 04s? Personally, I hate automatics and would only consider the 6 speed manual. Are there any lease deals at this time on the 04s? Thanks!

Tom
  • There is no 6 speed manual available.
  • My purchase was for an X-Type 3.0 with automatic trans, premium package, heated seats, and reverse park control using Ford Motor Company X-Plan PIN
    program which enables purchase of most Ford family products at a fixed price formula over dealer cost.

My boss is a former Ford Motor Company executive and receives several of these X-Plan programs annually that he allocates to members of our firm.

Purchase price,(no negotiations involved) set by Ford Motor Company, was $31,154.64 plus tax, title and license. MSRP on car was $36,290.00.

I shopped price at two other Jaguar dealers, without using X-Plan to see what I could do on my own, and the best I could come up with for identical car, was $32,847.00 plus tax, etc.

I also considered other brands, Infinity G35, Acura TL, Lexus ES330 and even an suv, Lexus RX330 (my wife wanted me to consider that option).

In the end decided X-Type was better choice for me at this time.

Hope that this information helps.
  • kssodkssod Posts: 37
    got a sales brochure in the mail today. It had a comparison between the 3.0 x-type, bmw 3 and A4. It listed the 04 tranny as a 6 speed auto standard. Does anyone know when dealers will get the new cars with the 6 speed? What about a bump in HP?
  • mjc440mjc440 Posts: 76
    6 Speed? - That's strange - my 2004 X-Type brochure makes no mention of any 6 speed. Only the 5 spd auto and 5 spd manual are mentioned.

My '04 brochure has a date of "8/03" in the lower left hand corner on the back of the brochure. What's the date on your '04 brochure?

PS - Anyone know what happened to JagBoyXtype? He was always a good source of info.