Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M-Class Owners: Care & Maintenance

Comments

• Here in California we have two license plates, and I never installed the front one until a kind police officer reminded me that it should be done. (I have a ML500 '02.) My "fix it" ticket is coming due soon.
    So Mercedes kindly sold me the front moulding that fits my model for a mere $90. (Primed, I had to paint it myself. What do you expect for $90..?) But no attaching hardware or any kind of instructions came with it.
    Has anyone ever attached one of these before? There are dots on the front bumper to indicate where the moulding is to be attached, but with what? I doubt I could get inside or behind the bumper to attach a nut. It's really frustrating.
  • funcarfuncar Posts: 4
    Hi, I had a similar problem on my 2001 ML430 six months ago. The dealer replaced the optic fiber sensor to fix the problem. Good luck.
    Hello - My ML430 needs a new battery - it's about 4 years old. Anyone with experience of getting the battery changed other than at the dealer? About how much is the battery? Where did you go? Any suggestion is appreciated!
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    I tried in a number of places including Pepboys, Sears, Autozone, Strauss, etc, etc. No one carries the battery for the ML. Strauss tried to sell me a battery rated for less amps telling me that it will be fine. Anyway I got it from the dealer for about $120 or so.
    Thank you for your post, sure saves me a lot of time running around. I'll have to call the road side assistance and bring in the car. :)
    Hi ML Friends - My 4 year old ML430 needs a new battery, it just died last week. Please share your experience with me, where did you get the battery from, cost? Did you go to the dealer?

I just found out how to post a new thread and have to take the car in soon, miss driving it.
  • jhd11jhd11 Posts: 1
    Advice needed: Dealer service now reommending a lot of items: Flushes $180, Differential $225, Brakes $400, BAS middle sensor replace $400.
    Is this normal wear and tear, or do I need to shop for service?
    Car has had all the routine service appointments.
    Don't need to touch the Tranny, Diff untill 100K miles according to MB. I didn't feel comfortable driving mine for that long and would ask my service rep about it. He advised against opening up the sealed tranny unit untill the scheduled 100K service. Regarding the Brakes and BAS sensor fix only if the warning light has come on inside.
  • A couple weeks ago I flushed/changed the brake fluid using a vacuum bleeder. I didn't think the fluid looked bad, but once in the waste bucket it was cloudy and brown. If you have changed brakes in a car you can DIY. I never let the fluid level get below the minimum mark while bleeding the system from nearest to farest wheel.
  • I have a 2000 ML320 so I need to add the new hoses as well. Do I really need the special tool to remove the fuel lines from the pump?

Can I access the hatch without removing the rear seat?

I had heard this was about a $300 job, but got a $1300 price from my dealer. Not sure if this was to replace the tank, pump, and filter; but sure seems high enough for it.
  • bherrbherr Posts: 1
    I removed the original battery. replacing it with a n after market battery. Now the car turns over fine. However, it will not start. Has anyone reset the ETS? What is the process, and is it doable by a non mechanic?
    What after market battery did you buy? How much did you pay? I did a lot of research and couldn't find an after market battery with the same amp ratings. I ended up buying from the dealer. If your car is not starting it is because you have a battery wihtout sufficient juice. Resting ETS has got nothing to do with your car not starting. I suggest return the battery and get one from the dealer for about 110 USD or so.

Reseting the ETS is very straight forward. The instructions are in the manual. I did it to turn of the ETS light.
  • bon_bonbon_bon Posts: 19
    We have a 2002 ML 500. The dealear is asking for $300 to replace the front brake pads. Is this normal ? Is there a cheaper way to replace the brake pads ? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bon Bon
  • danaddanad Posts: 3
    You turn the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right and repeat it one time and it will reset the check engine light.
    That's about right. They are also going to tell you that you have the replace the rotors which seem to need to be replaced every time you change the brakes on the Mercedes. One person did rotate them for me, but for the most part, all of it needs to be replaced. By the way, look forward to replacing the rear brakes soon as well.
    When I had to replace my battery, the dealer was the only place that could replace it; however, if you place a road service call instead of a inside the dealer service call, it is cheaper and they will replace it as a part of roadside warranty for as long as you own the car for about $120, and you don't have to do it yourself.
  • shmoopy1shmoopy1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ML320. How can I get rid of the wrench symbol that appears on the odometer? I didn't take it to a MB dealer so although they serviced it, they didn't get rid of the blinking wrench that appears when you start the engine.
  • I have a 2001 ML 320 with the original battery. Since it has five hears on it, I decided to electively change it. I purchased a new battery at the MB dealership for $105.00 and thought I would put it in myself. How do I release the battery box clamps to mobilize the battery. Getting the cables off is easy, but I am not sure about the "clamping" system that holds the battery secure. Do any of you use a jumper wire to keep from having to re-program the radio or anything? Is it really that necessary?
  • call mb roadside the techs carry batteries with them in the truck and will only charge you dealer cost.in the future.. you can still call the tech at 18002220100 and ask for the tech to install it they should not charge for the service. also you will need your radio code to have tech program it in. in the future you can call mbusa roadside for 3 free services battery jump , flat tire change and fuel if you run out. this is free asl long as you own your benz.
  • you meant ML owner get those free roadside services ( battery jump, flat tire change, and fuel ) for a total of three times while you own the ML ?

If you sell it to somebody then the buyer will not inherit this free service three more times ?

other than having the tech to reset the radio / CD code etc., do you see any problem if I choose to buy a third party non-MB battery that is stronger with higher cold crank / warm cranking power, and have non-MB technician install it for me ?

anything to tell those non-MB technician to look out for when they remove the old battery and install the new battery , so I don't lose whatever data / settings ?

thanks