Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M-Class Owners: Care & Maintenance

Comments

• bherrbherr Posts: 1
    I removed the original battery. replacing it with a n after market battery. Now the car turns over fine. However, it will not start. Has anyone reset the ETS? What is the process, and is it doable by a non mechanic?
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    What after market battery did you buy? How much did you pay? I did a lot of research and couldn't find an after market battery with the same amp ratings. I ended up buying from the dealer. If your car is not starting it is because you have a battery wihtout sufficient juice. Resting ETS has got nothing to do with your car not starting. I suggest return the battery and get one from the dealer for about 110 USD or so.

Reseting the ETS is very straight forward. The instructions are in the manual. I did it to turn of the ETS light.
  • bon_bonbon_bon Posts: 19
    We have a 2002 ML 500. The dealear is asking for $300 to replace the front brake pads. Is this normal ? Is there a cheaper way to replace the brake pads ? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bon Bon
  • danaddanad Posts: 3
    You turn the wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right and repeat it one time and it will reset the check engine light.
    That's about right. They are also going to tell you that you have the replace the rotors which seem to need to be replaced every time you change the brakes on the Mercedes. One person did rotate them for me, but for the most part, all of it needs to be replaced. By the way, look forward to replacing the rear brakes soon as well.
    When I had to replace my battery, the dealer was the only place that could replace it; however, if you place a road service call instead of a inside the dealer service call, it is cheaper and they will replace it as a part of roadside warranty for as long as you own the car for about $120, and you don't have to do it yourself.
  • shmoopy1shmoopy1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ML320. How can I get rid of the wrench symbol that appears on the odometer? I didn't take it to a MB dealer so although they serviced it, they didn't get rid of the blinking wrench that appears when you start the engine.
  • I have a 2001 ML 320 with the original battery. Since it has five hears on it, I decided to electively change it. I purchased a new battery at the MB dealership for $105.00 and thought I would put it in myself. How do I release the battery box clamps to mobilize the battery. Getting the cables off is easy, but I am not sure about the "clamping" system that holds the battery secure. Do any of you use a jumper wire to keep from having to re-program the radio or anything? Is it really that necessary?
  • call mb roadside the techs carry batteries with them in the truck and will only charge you dealer cost.in the future.. you can still call the tech at 18002220100 and ask for the tech to install it they should not charge for the service. also you will need your radio code to have tech program it in. in the future you can call mbusa roadside for 3 free services battery jump , flat tire change and fuel if you run out. this is free asl long as you own your benz.
  • you meant ML owner get those free roadside services ( battery jump, flat tire change, and fuel ) for a total of three times while you own the ML ?

If you sell it to somebody then the buyer will not inherit this free service three more times ?

other than having the tech to reset the radio / CD code etc., do you see any problem if I choose to buy a third party non-MB battery that is stronger with higher cold crank / warm cranking power, and have non-MB technician install it for me ?

anything to tell those non-MB technician to look out for when they remove the old battery and install the new battery , so I don't lose whatever data / settings ?

thanks
  • OK I wasn't paying attention......as I was leaving work today I backed my '02 ML-500 right into the rear bumper of a raised F250 crew cap. Ouch, but the only damage to my car was a broken rear right tail light. I've aleady ordered a new one from www.partstrain.com, but can anyone shed some light on how to remove the old one. When you open the rear hatch there are two plastic screws which I took off, but the tail light doesn't budge. What else is holding it on ? Do you have to remove the rear bumber skin? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
    \
    Thanks, Joe
  • This is my first time on this site. Hopefully, someone out there can help me. I have a 2004 ML500 with 18,000 miles and Mercedes-Benz Manhattan is stating that I must replace the brake pads and rotors for $1,300.00. It seems rather early in the life of the vehicle to be performining such an extensive repair. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • greetings folks,
    has anyone had the pleasure of using or buying extended warranty from continental warranty. my '01 ml 320 has over 77,000 miles on it and they are willing to provide a rather extensive warranty on it for $2598.00. is this a good deal.

please let me know
  • JUST BOUGHT A ML 32O 2002 WITH 51,000 MILES ON IT. IS THE 2002 MODEL BETTER THAN PREVIOUS YEARS? OR DOES IT HAVE JUST AS MANY PROBLEMS?
  • Is it okay to buy a remanufactured mass airflow sensor for my 2000 ML320? Autozone has them for $180, the dealer sells them for 330 new and ebay has some for as low as $100. Is there really a difference between new, rebuilt or aftermarket sensors?
    Thanks
  • Forget the OEM brakes. You do not want the dreaded black dust, poor performance and poor wear of those brakes. Check on line for EBC Green stuff 7000 series pads and aftermarket cross drilled rotors. I got mine from R1 Concepts. Better wear, no dust, far better braking at less than half the cost of Mercedes. I got lazy and had the local Midas shop install them. They are impressed and this shop is now carrying them for ML brake jobs. My out of pocket was $580 for everything
  • did you ever find an answer, a couple of guys from the dealership said that they had to do it.
    let me know
  • jimm43jimm43 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 ML 320 I have a problem turn signal on my Mercedes. I found a new switch but need to know what is required to replace it. What does it take to get the steering wheel off?

Thanks,

Jim Marshall
  • I need new tires for my 1999 ML320. The dealer has always told me to stick with General(came with the car when new) or Dunlop. Has anyone had any experience with another tire brand?

Thanks.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    Put Toyo Proxes on my wife's 2002 ML320. About 4K miles into them so far and ride, noise and all-weather grip is great. Good performance for the dollar.
  • newc230newc230 Posts: 7
    I have ML320 2002. The cd player is not working. How can I find what is wrong with it. I get the message NO Changer.thanks in advance for help.
  • My 15K mile 2002 ML 500 warranty is about to expire. Have not even had my imitial B Service. As the truck was imported from Canada, no xtend policy is available from Mercedes U.S. or Canada. My local dealer offers a '5 Star Program' from GE Auto Warranty Services, and I see many offers on the web for 'Vehicle Warranty 60% off'. Anyone with experience concerning this dilemma or suggestion please reply.
    many thanks~~~Metro
  • lorryfanlorryfan Posts: 76
    metropico -

One of the best extended warranty companies is warranty direct. Check them out at http://www.warrantydirect.com

They have a decent track record with the BBB as well....Hope this helps!

Also be sure to ask your dealer about the MB Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program. It covers 12-24months or 100K miles whichever one comes first at no additional cost to you. This EW kicks in after the initial 4yr/50K mile warranty expires. See MB's website for details.
  • metropicometropico Posts: 5
    Thank you. I will check with my dealer this week and post results.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,627
    You may want to check out these discussions too:

Extended Warranties

Warranty Claims Administration

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• metropicometropico Posts: 5
    Decided to buy Service Contract from Warranty Direct. Was endorsed by a neighbor who had excellent results with a 4 year policy on his Mercedes. I also checked with my Service Manager who said he has had no problem with this company. Thank you for your input.
  • sgt_k1sgt_k1 Posts: 14
    Hello, can sommeone tell me where is the Drainage tray for the mercedes benz ml500 located at. whenever it rain my suv get wet inside. Some one told me that ML500 2002 has a drainage tray. Can some one please help me on this.
  • lorryfanlorryfan Posts: 76
    No problem metropico - your welcome!

Am glad I was able to help.....enjoy the EW peace of mind.
  • We just changed battery on ML320, I asked Dealer if it could be done by non-dealer and was told it could be done, but the system would have to be re-set (eg radio, windows etc, would not work) they proceeded to tell me that I could do the roadside assistance thing that would be only for the price of the battery. After many additional questions, was told that you could change it but you would need to keep power going, you can get something from auto zone or so to plug into the lighter. Anyway decided to do it ourselves,bought battery from Dealer, for abt $109, with installation abt $200+. Trick is to leave the car running when you take out the battery, so it does not lose power, (Be careful). Don't know if thats the problem you are having or because batt is not from Dealer.
    Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.