Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MB M-Class Owners: Care & Maintenance

13»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261
    I think the gizmos that plug into a power port to save your setting runs off a 9 volt battery and costs around $20. It's been a while since I read about them but they may be worth a look. Changing a battery with the belts and fan running doesn't sound like much fun. :sick:

Do you (or anyone) remember what they call the plug in gizmos?

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• pai7pai7 Posts: 35
    I have a 99 ML 430 with 86k miles.Is there a schedule to change the f&r Differential fluid and the transfer case fluid.I hear that the transmission on that vehicle is sealed and lubricated for the life. Will appreciate any input. Thanks
  • mschafermschafer Posts: 317
    MB has revised their "sealed for life" philosophy on the tranny. It seemed that "life" was ending just after all warranties expired. I would change the ATF and filter asap!
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    This is crazy. I used own a 99ML and when I had about 45K miles I specifically told the advisor that I want to change the the atf fluid as I didn't want a major problem down the line by trying to save 150 or whatever on a transmission fluid change, but he told me that the transmissions is sealed and he wouldn't recommend me to do it.
  • fletch5fletch5 Posts: 1
    Hello -

I am hoping someone can help me. The brake lights have gone out on my 2001 ML430. Checked the fuse and it is OK. What is the next likely cause? Thanks.
  • hi there, I'm trying to reset the same on my 1998 - did this work for you? I try it and it didn't work. I thought I might be doing it incorrectly. Thanks.
  • nabbottnabbott Posts: 1
    2000: brake lights don't work (but emergency blinkers and turn lights do). I am starting with the owners manual:

question: which fuses do I check? the owner's manual does not details which fuses are used for brake lights? Looking for a link or recommended document.

question: any other ideas/suggestions on what to check?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice,

-Nick
  • Has anyone encountered peeling of the film on the exterior of the black D-pillar on the prior-gen ML (2002)? Understand they can be replaced in a similar fashion to a windshield - glued onto the underlying frame. Not willing to pay the cost quoted from the dealer at $250 each!

Would seem there is a simple remedy and repair for this... looks like the clear film protectant layer is peeling like your skin after a sunburn.

Thanks for any guidance on this.
  • Roberto, That is BS. I found the General Tires on my 2000 ML320 to wear out too quickly. I used Michelin Cross Terrain twice and liked them. Now I have a set of Goodyear Futuras on it. They ride well, but I have not had them long, so don't know about tire life. I got over 50,000 miles out of the Michelin Cross Terrains! I have 175, 000 miles on my ML.
  • Hi -

After I change the oil, how do i reset the maintenance service indicator. I don't need to take it to a dealer, but the book doesn't give instructions for this.

thanks
  • The right front cupholder in my '98 ML-320 won't stay in the up position. Anyone know how to fix or replace these? Thanks,

Raymond
  • I have a 2008 ML 320 CDI and want to do my own oil changes. How do I remove the plastic engine cover to get access to the oil filter? It looks like it just pops off, but I do not want to force any fitting and break it. It just rankles me to pay $125 for a dealer oil and filter change. Thanks.
  • Yes, the plastic engine cover just lifts straight up. There are about 6 contact points where a metal post plugs into the cover. Tug up from a corner and the cover comes right up. Consider investing in an oil extraction device. I have that blue hand-pump one and it works great. Pulls the oil right out of the dipstick with little hassel.
  • mr__edmr__ed Posts: 7
    Thanks. Popped and reinstalled it - no problem. Got the Topsider vacuum (blue hand)
    pump and used it to suck out the transmission fluid from my son's 99 Volvo;
    will use it on my ML 320 CDI for oil changes. Found a place on line for OEM
    oil and fuel filters for this car at WAY less than dealer prices -- www.germanfilters.com --
    Will recover Topsider cost and then some on first oil change! After that, it is
    all savings. Thanks again.
  • satya789satya789 Posts: 3
    I saw your message in the thread. how did you solve this? did you do any thing on this.
    I appreciate your reply/post
    satya789@hotmail.com
  • mr__edmr__ed Posts: 7
    Not sure what you are referring to; quoted below is my response to the reply I got to my original question as to how to remove the engine cover from a 2008 MB ML 320 CDI:

"Thanks. Popped and reinstalled it - no problem. Got the Topsider vacuum (blue hand) pump and used it to suck out the transmission fluid from my son's 99 Volvo;
    will use it on my ML 320 CDI for oil changes. Found a place on line for OEM
    oil and fuel filters for this car at WAY less than dealer prices -- www.germanfilters.com --
    Will recover Topsider cost and then some on first oil change! After that, it is
    all savings. Thanks again"

If you mean the Mercedes engine cover, I simply popped it - yanked it up off its pins, as it was designed to do, and reinstalled it by pressing the cover down on the pins. No problem. If you mean the Topsider vacuum pump, I bought it on line; it is used by inserting a long, thin, stiff plastic tube down the dipstick hole and pumping the hand vacuum pump, attached to the Topsider, and then unclamping the tube clamp to allow the oil to be sucked out. I did this 3 times for the Volvo (1999 XC 70) transmission fluid because it will only access 4 quarts at a time out of the 8 quarts of Dexron that are in the Volvo. I figured 3 times will be enough to provide much cleaner transmission fluid than the black stuff that came out. While not as comprehensive (maybe) as a dealer transmission flush ((~$200), it is almost as good, and certainly good enough and MUCH cheaper.

I have yet to use it on the Mercedes, but anticipate no problem there.

Hope this answered your question.
  • satya789satya789 Posts: 3
    I was refering to D-pillar peeling. did you find any solution how to stop or repair the peeling of D-pillars in the back.
    Satya
  • charmatcharmat Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Hi,
    I would like to remove my battery to charge it. Can anyone please give me step by step instructions on the correct way to do this?
    Thanks,
13»
This discussion has been closed.