Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

First time car buyer needs used car inspection guide

xeyraxeyra Member Posts: 1
How does a buyer go about getting a used vehicle, which is up for sale, inspected by a specialized mechanic for that brand of vehicle?

KEEP IN MIND: I'm asking from both buying a used vehicle from an opposing brand dealer (i.e. Subaru car in a Mitsubishi dealer) AND a used vehicle from a specialized dealer (Subaru car in a Subaru specialized repair shop or a small dealer with a slight specialty in Subaru).

Buying a used car saves money in the short run but how much money you save in the long term depends on how much you have to spend on repairs. Edmunds has yet to create a guide to help first time buyers with the inspection process in my opinion. That's one of the most important parts of buying a vehicle besides getting the best financing and test driving.

Have you ever had your used vehicles inspected by a trusted mechanic or a hired one?

Say for example I DON'T have a "family mechanic" either. How would I go about finding one that would inspect a vehicle for me? And before you say, no, building relationships just to use a mechanic for his/her expertise is out of the question.

Thank you!

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    edited December 2011
    I would go to your BBB website (bbb.com) and look for "Search Accredited Business Directory". Either enter "auto repair" and your city or zip code, or the page may already have a list of links that includes that item. The link will show you all the BBB member and accredited repair shops. Click on the ones that interest you and see if they have an A+ rating. Go to one of them.

In my city I go to an independent import shop that has better facilities than many dealers. In 25 years they have been excellent on all our cars. They are BBB A+. They provide a "Buyer's Inspection" service for $100.

You can also subscribe to Angie's List (http://www.angieslist.com/) for your city and read reviews of auto shops.
  • brandon97brandon97 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Sounds like you need an Italian tune up! Give it a good hard run then change the oil. This problem can occur if you do a lot of low miles especially in winter. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
    classic car sales