Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    The inhalation of gas fumes is a serious health risk (both hydrocarbons and carcinogens), not to mention gas fumes are extremely flamable (more so than gas itself). I am assuming you don't continue to pump gas after the pumps cuts off automatically? Overfilling can cause the symptoms you noted. But probably not to the extreme that you noted. For sure, make hyundai honor their warranty by whatever means (lemon law, etc) you can.
  • rysterryster Posts: 529
    There is a canister/filter associated with the fuel filler neck. If the fuel tank is frequently topped-off or overfilled, that canister/filter gets saturated with fuel and will produce a strong fuel odor in the vehicle. Might want to look at that.

On the 2.4L Sonatas, there is a known issue related to a hose in the engine compartment that goes bad and results in a very strong fuel smell in the cabin. Not sure if the 2.0T uses the same/similar setup.
  • Hyundai has a TSB out on the gas fumes inside the vehicle. It appears the PVC hose collapeses and causes it. The dealer will replace the hose and PVC valve as part of the TSB.
  • Like I said in my previous post, we haven't had any problems with our car (knock on wood) but then again it only has 4K miles on it too. Only time will tell if it will hold up as well as the Honda's we've owned. I thought forums were to say good or bad about a vehicle and help each other try and resolve issues and express good things about a certain vehicle. It seems that you don't dare say anything bad about a certain brand or you get flamed. I have a right to my opinion just like anyone else.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,253
    My friend with the Sentra said he thinks it was from a cracked head gasket but wasn't sure. I'd follow sivicman's thinking and pursue the TSB.
  • piezonpiezon Posts: 23
    Dave,
    I'm VERY close to buying the 2012 Sonata Limited but there are so may posts that contain "problems" that I'm hesitant. However, I recently purchased 4 brand new LG appliances for my kitchen in spite of some of the negative reviews and, to my surprise, we haven't experienced any of them. we absolutely love them and i'm hoping the same will be true with the Sonata. Would you mind giving me your honest feedback on your Ltd. and let me know how many miles are on it & how long you've owned it?/ Would appreciate it. Thnx
  • We own a 2012 Sonata SE and while I don't have a lot of miles on it I researched the model in general A LOT before buying it. This in spite of owning two Santa Fe's (2002-2003) that were trouble free and a daughter owning a 2003 Elantra again trouble free + our sons 2000 Elantra that he sold at 193,000 miles still running fine. I guess I was mostly concerned about the "left pull" issue some 2011 models exibited. I fully believe Hyundai found and corrected the problem for 2012 (mine tracks straight) and retrofitted the updated parts to fix the 2011's affected. There aren't too many issues for the 2012's except the usual..."I don't get the advertised fuel economy and I am pissed"...the tires wore out at only XXXX miles (usually within an acceptable range for the quality of OEM tires) , and the various creaks, rattles, minor component failure and the occasional major component failure that could and does occur with any brand, Honda and Toyota included. Oh, I recently received a notice to have our Blue-Link telemetrics be updated/reflashed otherwise it runs fine and gets, I believe, great fuel economy. So, I say go ahead and pull the trigger, I am sure a disgruntled somebody here will be glad to tell you otherwise.
  • Hi,
    I bought a new Sonata 2.4L 2012, four months back with navigation package. I paid 32000$s just for Car. About a month back some how some water went into the engine thru air filter. No body knows how (not even the technicians). Anyways, Engine engine ceased. Hyundai dealer ask me to claim it with my insurance. I did, they replaced the engine with new engine. Now my Car is fine and working.

Now I want to know three things:
    >> How can I check that the engine they fit, was surely new?
    >> And what will be the cost of this car, for resale and trade in.
    >> I don't want to keep this car, what are my options and which one is the best.

Any help will be great :)

Thanks,
  • wnyhyundaiwnyhyundai Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    My TPMS light came on for approximately 10 minutes/went off for approximately an hour four times today on a trip from Rochester, NY to Hagerstown, MD. My past TPMS lights would illuminate only during extremely cold weather events and would only go off when the air pressure was adjusted. Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Also, as an aside, I seem to be occasionally having a a slightly rough idle while at stop lights...fluctuations between 500 - 750 and it sounds as if something else is running in the background of the engine...MOST times at stop lights however, the engine is super smooth and the RPM gauge sits quietly at 750...

Lastly, I have noticed that the driver side fabric seems to "puckering" after sitting in the seat...I had fabric problems with my 2009 and this appears to be similar, although not as bad...it's almost like the fabric wasn't stretched enough? Is anyone else experiencing this type of fabric issue?

Other than these minor issues, the car is a pleasure to drive. I am getting about 36 miles to the gallon (I drive highway almost exclusively) with an engine that isn't fully broken in yet (only at 1600 miles)...I am very impressed with that.

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone has. I have been a faithful reader (albeit, not poster that much) for MANY years and have learned so much from the numerous discussions.
  • There is no one on this site can reply this message.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    We have been experiencing some technical issues. Please be patient.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just traded in my 2009 GLS for a 2012 GLS. I've only driven it for a day, but it is good so far. My wife drives a 2011 Limited and she is happy as can be. Almost 13k miles on the Limited and no problems. I drove my 2009 to 123k miles and the only problem was a spring or something on the little dash cover. It wouldn't spring open anymore. A minor annoyance. I look forward to driving my 2012 for a good three to four years and 120-150k miles.
  • I purchased a 2012 Sonata SE w/ nav in December 2011. 4 days later check engine light came on. It has been coming on every 3-4 days ever since. Been to dealer 7 times. They replaced most of the emissions system. Light still coming on. Hyundai engineers looked at vehicle. They can't seem to find out cause. Anyone have any suggestions? I am in process of getting a refund through the NJ Lemon Law.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Spent the better part of a couple of afternoons driving cars from Ford, Mazda, Toyota, and Hyundai. I have to say that Hyundai really won me over. I was a very happy Mazda 3 owner and was expecting to get another Mazda (3, or 6) but after driving the Sonata and Genesis models, I was sold on Hyundai. I ended up getting the Hyundai Sonata (I really liked the Genesis Coupe) in the SE trim with the 2.0 turbo. I also test drove the GLS and a Limited 2.0 tubo, but after driving a Mazda 3 for 6 years, really wanted something that had better handling, tighter steering, and a firmer ride. The SE seems to give all of that. The Limited's steering felt way too numb and loose to me.

Hyundai really has a winner here.
  • Update: Hyundai finally repaired my vehicle. The problem was some piece of cotton in a line blocking air flow. Sounds insane but they showed me this piece of what looks like a cigarette butt. They removed it and now the car runs fine with no check engine light every 3 days.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Hmm... I'm wondering if a cigarette butt could have been sucked into the air intake? The way some people toss them carelessly out the window on the highway, I could see that being possible.

Reminds me of many years ago when my dad tossed a butt out the window. It got sucked back into the car through the open rear window, landed on my sister's lap, and started burning her. Needless to say, it was the LAST time my dad ever tossed a butt out the window!
  • In my case, I think it happened in the factory. I wasn't an actual cigarette butt. It was a piece of cotton that looked like a butt. Glad they found it and fixed it. I had already started proceedings with the Lemon Law.
    When I was a kid the same thing happened to my dad's car. The butt burned a hole in the back seat.
    Thanks for replying.
  • this has happenend to both my Nissans several times. The evap air lines can get clogged by moth nests and set off the codes.
  • mathersonmatherson Posts: 35
    I purchased a 11 SE in June 2011. Drove it for 10,000 miles. Really, really liked it. Bought the SE for reasons others have mentioned. Slightly more HP, sportier suspension, upgraded leather trimmed seats. 18" wheels.
    I traded it in January 2012 for a 12 Limited (no navi, no turbo) because I had already blown out two wheels on potholes. In a mild winter no less. I knew it was going to be a constant issue for me in New England. Got 90% of what I paid new on the trade and got the new Limited at a very competitive $24,500.
    12 Limited has been great. Though for some reason my MPG has been lower (about 26 on average vs. about 28 on SE) Doesn't make sense, but it is similar driving.
    I also notice the drop in HP. Mostly around town, probably about 15-20% highway and I drive conservatively. The SE was real nice and have a better tuned engine and better MPG. If I didn't live in a bad pothole area I would have kept the SE.

No real problems on either car with a combined 16,000 miles in 11 months.
  • sedan15sedan15 Posts: 1
    I am driving 2012 Hyundai I40 sedan, which I believe is identical to 2012 Sonata.
    Please watch the LCD radio screen in the center of the dashboard. It is not visible in normal bright daytime.
  • rdillierrdillier Posts: 71
    I also have a 2012 Sonata GLS (American) with the preferred package. I've not had any visibility problems with the screen during normal daylight hours. I HAVE had problems connecting the Bluetooth. Dealer is replacing the head unit (I assume that means the radio guts, etc.) today, so we'll see. Other than that, I love the car -- my first brand new one in 49 years of driving.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    We really love our 2012 GLS with PEP also. My old Mortorola Krzr paired with the bluetooth on the car w/o any problem. It will NOT download the contact list due to outdated software and update no longer available at Verizon due to age of phone. Next stop is an Iphone so no problem for now.
    Beautiful high value car. Great road car IMO with 33 MPG @ 80 and 37.5 MPG at 65-70.
    Got the new audio installed in the Sonata, and it paired with the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx phone, but, like you, I can't download contacts. I don't understand. This phone is supposed the be the newest, bestest thing on the Android market and it's not that old. Guess the car goes back to Hyundai dealer to see what those guys can do.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    The pairing told me the car was OK and the software in the phone was the problem. Spouse has a new Samsung phone that is not "smartphone" but that paired and downloaded right away. The old moto Krzr I have has outdated software so not downloading not the cars fault IMO. Another point, I just use the dial command in lieu of call and Bluetooth works fine with my phone in the car. As I age I am attempting to unsweat the little stuff and save powder for the bigger important issues. Enjoy the car.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Do you know what Android version is on your phone? Gingerbread (Android 2.3 I believe) or Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4)? If you are on 2.x, you might want to wait for a week or so. ICS is just starting to roll out to Razr and Razr Maxx phones and believe me, it is a HUGE improvement! It just might solve your problem.
    Thanks for all the help on hooking up my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx to the Sonata's Bluetooth. Tenpin, like you, the older I get, the less inclined I am to sweat small stuff. The car is wonderful except for that, and I intend to keep it until the wheels fall off. I'll also wait a week before seeking help at the dealer in case the new software helps.
    Make sure you also give your phone permission to download the contacts. When I got my Andriod phone, I also noticed that the contacts were not transferring to the car. Then one day I looked at the screen on the phone, and a notification was asking for permission to download contacts. I told the phone it was OK, and it has been fine ever since.
  • largo3largo3 Posts: 4
    Do the sideview mirrors on the new 2012 and 2013 Sonatas fold? If I take it thru a car wash can I fold them in to avoid damage?
    Yes, the sideview mirrors fold up and in (manually). There is a touchless car wash that I use sometimes that suggests folding the mirrors, so I get out and fold the mirrors before driving into the bay.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,982
    A reporter is looking to talk with anyone in the market right now for a new midsize car. If you fit this description and you’d like to talk with the reporter, please reach out to PR@edmunds.com with your preferred daytime contact info by the end of the day Friday, August 17, 2012.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.