Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Long to Keep Your Quest?

2»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296

You can also use a stick, like from a mop. :)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• rockmobilerockmobile Posts: 113

That will be my next project, weather permit; I got a Harbor Freight near by. So far I've changed both valve cover gaskets and the coolant sensor. It took me about five days but the van is running.

The most challenging was refilling the coolant; I could not find the air bleeder, so I disconnected the top hose from the radiator I filled it as much as I could and that seem to do the trick. So far I think I've saved a couple of grand. I had never embarked in a project of this magnitude but I figured I had nothing to lose.

I have a factory manual for my '99 and the coolant swap for it looks like a big hassle. Besides a couple of relief valves they want you to open the drain plugs on the block, jack up the front end and do all sorts of stuff that I'm sure the dealer doesn't bother with.

@Stever@Edmunds said: I have a factory manual for my '99 and the coolant swap for it looks like a big hassle. Besides a couple of relief valves they want you to open the drain plugs on the block, jack up the front end and do all sorts of stuff that I'm sure the dealer doesn't bother with.

I also have the manual but I was only refilling it and it was a real hassle. The engine had air but I just could not bleed it out. I could squeeze the top hose and there was nothing there, reason why I decided to put coolant on it, top off the radiator and reservoir and take it for a drive. After I turned it off it made some noise like a faucet running and after that it has pulled some more from the reservoir and it has not overheat, so I guess it has built some pressure.

To clarify the above, you do not have to empty all the coolant to change the coolant sensor, just enough to clear that level which is not really much.

End of an era. I've relinquished the keys of my 99 Quest to a relative who will use it to run errands in NJ. There's a little bit of life in it, reason why I did not leave it in a salvage yard - they only offered me $400 for it anyway.

Now we have a Forester and a RAV4 to deal with. Alas, they both may present the same ailments (not just yet), high oil consumption. At present the Quest is burning around one quart every 8k miles, which was the oil change schedule. They certainly don't make them the way they used to.

@rockmobile said: They certainly don't make them the way they used to.

Thank goodness for that. :) Back in the 70s I was barely able to get 3 or 4 years out of my VW Bugs or my Jeep without a lot of moolah in repairs (and don't get me started on the family Volvo). My '82 Tercel went 17 years before we moved and sold it, so that's been my benchmark. The '89 Voyager barely made it 10 years.

15 years and still able to tool around town is pretty good for a passenger car.

2»